January transfer window 2023

313 posts
Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

Re: January transfer window 2023

by Royalwaster » 08 Jan 2023 14:54

Snowflake Royal Firstly, boo play offs, boooo

Secondly, yeah seeming to have time on the ball is often a sign of awareness of surroundings and a good first touch. Neither of which I have sadly.

Never say no to the playoffs even if we lose them ... it's more money isn't it!?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 08 Jan 2023 16:28

Royalwaster

Secondly, yeah seeming to have time on the ball is often a sign of awareness of surroundings and a good first touch. Neither of which I have sadly.

Never say no to the playoffs even if we lose them ... it's more money isn't it!?

The money is certainly valuable... but the end of season failure / the prospect of the PL the next season or another Wembley heartbreak don't enthuse me.

Mid-table medicority pretty much all season is a refreshing change

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 08 Jan 2023 19:07

When are Andy Carroll and Mbengue's deals up?

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 08 Jan 2023 19:09

Snowflake Royal
Royalwaster

The money is certainly valuable... but the end of season failure / the prospect of the PL the next season or another Wembley heartbreak don't enthuse me.

Why wouldn't you want us in the premier league? Ok we'll lose more games than we'll win but you want your team playing at the highest level possible. Premier league would help us financially as well. Plus we always have a shot beating the best even if it's unlikely

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 08 Jan 2023 19:13

Royal_jimmy When are Andy Carroll and Mbengue's deals up?

Probably end of the season. Ince has said both likely to sign extended deals shortly.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 08 Jan 2023 21:04

Nameless
Royal_jimmy When are Andy Carroll and Mbengue's deals up?

Probably end of the season. Ince has said both likely to sign extended deals shortly.

Current deals expire this week (technically I think Carroll’s is actually up on the 14th when QPR come to town). The club wants to re-sign both apparently but god knows when that will happen.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 08 Jan 2023 21:37

Royal_jimmy
Snowflake Royal
Royalwaster

Why wouldn't you want us in the premier league? Ok we'll lose more games than we'll win but you want your team playing at the highest level possible. Premier league would help us financially as well. Plus we always have a shot beating the best even if it's unlikely

I don't want to see my team playing at the highest level possible. I want to see my team playing at the highest level they can without constantly losing.

PL just allows you to spend more and rack up more debt. Been there, done that. Not interested in trying it again until the club's in good shape to make a bit of a go of it.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 08 Jan 2023 23:14

The Premiership really isn't that big a draw for me. We've been there, done that, got the financial meltdown.

There is no way the squad is in any fit shape to compete there on a weekly basis without an insane amount of investment. I'd rather we take our time and re-establish ourselves as a competative Championship team that plays decent football.

That's what will bring the crowds back long-term, not a season of struggle in front of 12,000 tourists.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 09 Jan 2023 07:41

From Despair To Where? The Premiership really isn't that big a draw for me. We've been there, done that, got the financial meltdown.

There is no way the squad is in any fit shape to compete there on a weekly basis without an insane amount of investment. I'd rather we take our time and re-establish ourselves as a competative Championship team that plays decent football.

That's what will bring the crowds back long-term, not a season of struggle in front of 12,000 tourists.

I may be suffering from temporal delusions but I thought our current financial situation was caused almost entirely because we didn’t make it to the PL

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 09 Jan 2023 07:50

From Despair To Where? The Premiership really isn't that big a draw for me. We've been there, done that, got the financial meltdown.

+1 Ultimately, I’d love to get back into the Premiership but more than happy to wait several years if that’s what it takes. I like the Championship and despite the parachute payments going to relegated premiership teams in the main it’s a good competitive league.

Saying that, I think the standard of football going all the way down to the National League has improved significantly over the years. League one has some decent teams judging by Wednesday’s performance against Newcastle in the cup.

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 09 Jan 2023 07:56

Franchise FC

I may be suffering from temporal delusions but I thought our current financial situation was caused almost entirely because we didn’t make it to the PL

I agree but unless you can stay there or keep bouncing back pretty quickly it can go horribly wrong. It feels like a catch 22 tbh.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 09 Jan 2023 08:11

Franchise FC

The chronic overspending and financial fcukwittery started under Zingarovich, after spending big money on shit players in the Premiership, which is why we had to hand over parachute payments to Vibrac and flog Le Fondre to pay a tax bill.

We may be under FFP sanctions but currently, we're not spending money the owner doesn't have.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 09 Jan 2023 08:52

Look at Forest, massively overachieved last season and had a squad that was nowhere near ready for the Premiership, hence why they basically signed an entire new 25-man squad. We'd only be in that situation if we were somehow promoted this season as well.

In fairness to the club, they did state that some of the clubs overspending was due to "past mistakes" as well, which I could probably believe to be honest because we've hardly been financially stable since the promotion season a decade ago.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 09 Jan 2023 08:57

I like being top end of the champ, which is a brilliant league and would be much improved if they get a handle on the crappy parachutes which are making it increasingly uncompetitive at the top.

In a way it’s be nice to do something similar to Burnley originally or Norwich, and use the prem money to upgrade the club rather than blow on player wages. There are things which could really do with some money spent on them - the ground, the old dome and training pitches, increased community support, the ground itself , the car parking etc

I’d have no interest in going up, spunking all the money Forest style, prob coming back down within 2 years and being back at square 1

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 09 Jan 2023 09:13

yeah, I say let's go up spend nothing on the squad, and bank the money. and build a sustainable club, invest in the academy more buy loads of the best 14-year-old kids out there, who we can sell on for profit. Pay off all debts, Dai can bank whatever money he feels is owed to him we can then be debt free and know we have a self-sustaining club for years to come, and if dai decides he wants to oxf*rd off we have a club that's in good shape to be sold.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 09 Jan 2023 09:22

I don't actually think Forest would be in such bad shape if they came down, I actually think they've done what Norwich have done, gone up and had the money to invest in a squad that, whilst it has/is taking time to gel, will be able to compete at the bottom end of the PL/top of the Championship for a few years. So essentially, this is there way of trying to "build the club", it's just a starting point.

Even if they do go down, a few big name players will move on, even if that's just on loan somewhere for 12 months. Whereas before Forest were very much a bottom half Championship side, now you'd imagine they'll be yo-yoing between the divisions at worst, and I actually think they've got more than a good enough chance of staying up this season, whereas they were dead and buried in the first 10 games.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 09 Jan 2023 10:59

Depends on how much of their 50 man squad, inc 10/20m reserve players they can offload. Otherwise surely unsustainable in the champ esp if they come straight down.

In saying that they do have a fair chance of staying up as they have some good players. Big gamble though

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 09 Jan 2023 13:22

Franchise FC

Zingarevich gave out wages on long contracts to substandard players which sent us into Financial Meltdown 1. See Pog, Drenthe, Gunter, McCleary, Guthrie etc.

Just as the Thais stabilised that so we were merely in trouble rather than imploding, Dai took over and did exactly the same, but without getting promoted and no parachute payments, see Moore, Aluko, Joao, Puscas...

So the roots are firmly in trying to maintain a near PL wage budget (about £44m in PL and we only dropped below £30m in the last season or so having been consistently mid 30s for most of the time since relegation), regardless of league position.

We could have got out of it, but just jumped straight back in the hole.

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 09 Jan 2023 13:23

Twatter rumour - Matt Richie on loan.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 09 Jan 2023 13:23

Brogue Twatter rumour - Matt Richie on loan.

Would not be against that at all.

313 posts