Summer 2023 Transfer Speculation

1360 posts
SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Summer 2023 Transfer Speculation

by SCIAG » 20 Aug 2023 17:48

Sutekh
skipper Can someone please make a summary of who we signed, and whether it was permiment or a loan?

We seemed to have had some real shrewdness that belies our financial state.

But ive not been able to keep up with it tbh.

Agree with above about signing an experienced striker as a starter. Our academy have been great, so dont really want to experience up someone elses.

Id keep with what we have really. Wish bloody Carroll would give his own head a wobble. He could provide so much.

So far

Button
Rushesha
Knibbs
Wing
Mukairu
Elliott
Savage

All are permanent transfers except Mukairu who is on loan for the season from Copenhagan

We still have Clark and Wareham trialling with the u21s and believe the club are still pursuing another couple of signings which could be either loan or permanent but no doubt another embargo will be along shortly....

Building on this with quick summaries of the players and including those who have been missed…

Smith - striker with a good record in this division, ex-Reading

Button - experienced goalkeeper, a few years without regular football

Knibbs - lively winger, looked good for Cambridge

Savage - son of Robbie, MU academy, made a cameo in the Champions League for United, spent last season on loan at Forest Green

Wing - experienced defensive midfielder

Rushesha - young Welsh-Zimbabwean midfielder with no league experience, probably now going to be in the U23s

Elliott - Chelsea academy graduate midfielder

Dean - experienced centre back for Brentford and Birmingham, a Morrison type

Bindon - young US/NZ centre back who we have had on trial for ages

Mukairu- well-travelled winger, fairly young still

dontbedaft

by dontbedaft » 20 Aug 2023 17:55

Has there been an official "no" from Hoillet? It was fair enough to have had a delay in resolving things due to him being involved in the Gold Cup with Canada, but the same applied to CBC and that situation has since been resolved. I would imagine that the contract offer has now expired but I've not seen anything about his plans or a farewell message to RFC fans etc....

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 20 Aug 2023 18:37

blythspartan
Sutekh
skipper Can someone please make a summary of who we signed, and whether it was permiment or a loan?

We seemed to have had some real shrewdness that belies our financial state.

But ive not been able to keep up with it tbh.

Agree with above about signing an experienced striker as a starter. Our academy have been great, so dont really want to experience up someone elses.

Id keep with what we have really. Wish bloody Carroll would give his own head a wobble. He could provide so much.

So far

Button
Rushesha
Knibbs
Wing
Mukairu
Elliott
Savage

All are permanent transfers except Mukairu who is on loan for the season from Copenhagan

We still have Clark and Wareham trialling with the u21s and believe the club are still pursuing another couple of signings which could be either loan or permanent but no doubt another embargo will be along shortly....

I think you have missed out Smith and technically Mbengue.

And Binden

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 20 Aug 2023 19:26

NGW linked with WBa and Blackburn

(Pete O)

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 20 Aug 2023 19:55

dontbedaft Has there been an official "no" from Hoillet? It was fair enough to have had a delay in resolving things due to him being involved in the Gold Cup with Canada, but the same applied to CBC and that situation has since been resolved. I would imagine that the contract offer has now expired but I've not seen anything about his plans or a farewell message to RFC fans etc....

He's listed now as being a free agent, last I heard he'd been training with Colin so guess it's safe to say he has turned down a deal to stay at Reading. Won't be missed, thought he was largely pretty useless last season though not helped by Ince trying to turn him into a right back.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 20 Aug 2023 20:03

Hound NGW linked with WBa and Blackburn

(Pete O)

Do the former want Carroll back as well?

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 20 Aug 2023 20:08

YorkshireRoyal99

(Pete O)

Dunno but saw they were eyeing up Liam Moore

dontbedaft

by dontbedaft » 20 Aug 2023 22:26

Sutekh
dontbedaft Has there been an official "no" from Hoillet? It was fair enough to have had a delay in resolving things due to him being involved in the Gold Cup with Canada, but the same applied to CBC and that situation has since been resolved. I would imagine that the contract offer has now expired but I've not seen anything about his plans or a farewell message to RFC fans etc....

He's listed now as being a free agent, last I heard he'd been training with Colin so guess it's safe to say he has turned down a deal to stay at Reading. Won't be missed, thought he was largely pretty useless last season though not helped by Ince trying to turn him into a right back.

Yeah I had heard about the training with Colin, but nothing to suggest he had a contract there and his Wikipedia page still only mentions Reading. TBH I was surprised that he got an offer at all and really was just wondering if there was any possibility that he might be late signing after the window closes if he has not received a better offer by then...

Clyde1998
Hob Nob Regular

by Clyde1998 » 21 Aug 2023 04:49

dontbedaft
Sutekh

Yeah I had heard about the training with Colin, but nothing to suggest he had a contract there and his Wikipedia page still only mentions Reading. TBH I was surprised that he got an offer at all and really was just wondering if there was any possibility that he might be late signing after the window closes if he has not received a better offer by then...

Fairly certain Huddersfield are still interested in him; I'd be very surprised if he played for us again.

Quite honestly, I'm less concerned about us not having him as I was in June given the signings of Knibbs and Mukairu, as well as Camara looking decent at this level. I think he was one of our better players last season and would do a good job in L1, but he's not significantly better than the players we've brought in and would only hinder the development of our younger players.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 21 Aug 2023 07:27

Even if Hoilett turned round and said yes now, I'd question if we'd want him. He is a decent pro, who wouldn't rock the boat but given the season has not started and he either hasn't given us a definte no, or the club haven't communicated it, doesn't give massive confidence that he would be fully in on the plan esp if it is only a one year deal again.

Would think we have moved on.

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 21 Aug 2023 07:39

I thought Hoilett was one of the slightly better performers last season but tbh I prefer to give the youngsters a chance. We obviously need some older heads to help out the younger players but not too many of them.

Ultimately, we want to get back into the Championship, but it feels so refreshing to be in League One atm. The Championship is just a rat race of clubs clamouring to get into the Premiership and it was the same recycled garbage year on year.

I hope a reset will help us to become more like Coventry and eventually another Brentford or Brighton.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 21 Aug 2023 07:48

Big No to Hoilett

Was poor last year (as were everybody else pretty much) and we’ve moved on. Don’t think he’d have the engine for Selles style either

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 21 Aug 2023 08:38

Yeah it would be a no to Hoilett from me as well. Like basically the team last year, he started pretty well but just went backwards as the season went on, given his age that's probably the trajectory he will continue with.

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 21 Aug 2023 08:48

YorkshireRoyal99 Yeah it would be a no to Hoilett from me as well. Like basically the team last year, he started pretty well but just went backwards as the season went on, given his age that's probably the trajectory he will continue with.

I agree - can't see Selles wanting him.

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 21 Aug 2023 09:13

I am pretty sure this has been asked before, but if WBA want NGW and we wanted one of their players could we potentially do a straight swap if it was deemed that both players were of equal value?

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 21 Aug 2023 09:14

Hound
YorkshireRoyal99

(Pete O)

WBA wanting Moore and thinking of adding NGW to the mix - it's an interesting idea only to be entertained by clubs with no money.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 21 Aug 2023 11:01

Stranded
Hound
YorkshireRoyal99

WBA wanting Moore and thinking of adding NGW to the mix - it's an interesting idea only to be entertained by clubs with no money.

Yeah a sign of where they are. They were signing Swift and Jed Wallace this time last year

They just don’t look a great side now tbh - signing those 2 won’t help matters greatly you’d think

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 21 Aug 2023 12:17

Hound
Stranded
Hound

Yeah a sign of where they are. They were signing Swift and Jed Wallace this time last year

They just don’t look a great side now tbh - signing those 2 won’t help matters greatly you’d think

There is a decent defender somewhere in Moore.
Mining for it may be the difficult bit

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 21 Aug 2023 12:18

Also needs to stay fit for more than 5 mins

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 21 Aug 2023 13:00

dontbedaft
Sutekh

Can't see it.

With Camara, Azeez, Knibbs, Mukairu, plus Vickers, Kelv and Smith who could all cover wide in a pinch that ship seems long since sailed.

I think we've not heard anything because it's not happening.

1360 posts