New manager rumours and speculation

768 posts
The Royal Forester
Hob Nob Regular

Re: New manager rumours and speculation

by The Royal Forester » 18 Jun 2023 15:10

Sutekh Glen Hoddle and Kevin Keegan are both available, both a step up from the latest name doing the rounds.

Still clinging to the hope that a deal for Wilder can be worked out now MB is back.

I would let go of that hope if I were you. I suspect Chris Wilder heard the latest bombshells that came out in the last few days has put him off the job and has said, "No thank you" . The words may have been different, but they amount to the same thing! Is MB back now? if so that scotches a lot of the rumours floating about lately.

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 18 Jun 2023 15:20

The Royal Forester
Sutekh Glen Hoddle and Kevin Keegan are both available, both a step up from the latest name doing the rounds.

Still clinging to the hope that a deal for Wilder can be worked out now MB is back.

I would let go of that hope if I were you. I suspect Chris Wilder heard the latest bombshells that came out in the last few days has put him off the job and has said, "No thank you" . The words may have been different, but they amount to the same thing! Is MB back now? if so that scotches a lot of the rumours floating about lately.

Bowen was back Friday according to Dellor

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 18 Jun 2023 17:32

I said before we sacked Ince that whilst I wanted him gone I didn't trust Dai to appoint the right manage, I could well be right.

It's clear the problem in the club is him and Pang. Neither of them are fit or knowledgeable to run a football club and need to go. Dai needs to find a buyer ASAP.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 18 Jun 2023 17:39

Millsy
Snowflake Royal
Millsy
True, ok he evidently tried. But he didn't pull it off, which is no surprise to me.

But to go from that to someoen like Selles?

There's literally not a worse appointment possible. Just get an unknown in, if you're gonna do that. Why someone who is known to be a total loser? Been off for a few days, not trawled through everything, but am seriously hoping I'm echoing the general sentiments here and am not some sort of outlier on this one.

Of course there are worse possible appointments.

There's a lot of shit thrown at the wall, attention seeking and panicking, so until we get something solid I'm not interested in who the latest twitter/bookie favourite is. Thoroughly bored of the feeding frenzy of speculation and rage.

Ok so just to clarify (genuine Q, I've not been keeping up with it beyond random headlines tbh), you'd be totally fine with the appointment of Selles, thnk it'd be a sound appointment? Or you're saying not to trust what we read yet, it's all just speculation and not to worry yet?

At no point have I said I'd be fine with his appointment, I've oxf*rd all clue who he is for a start.

I'm definitely saying the latter.

Blackbag

by Blackbag » 18 Jun 2023 17:45

At least if it’s Selles and he’s in this coming week we can start rebuilding. Everyone has to start somewhere

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 18 Jun 2023 17:46

I'd rather that fans kick up a fuss about it now (even if it's only rumour) and deter the owners from hiring him, than waiting until he joins.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 18 Jun 2023 20:08

Is it too early to start a Selles out thread? after all it`s tradition isn`t it.

traff

by traff » 18 Jun 2023 20:11

Elm Park Kid I'd rather that fans kick up a fuss about it now (even if it's only rumour) and deter the owners from hiring him, than waiting until he joins.

Whatever makes you think they listen to the fans?
Reading FC is Dai's toy to play with and he will do whatever he wants with it.

Orion1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Orion1871 » 18 Jun 2023 20:26

At least we will all be able to refer to him as "Uselles" if/when he proves to be absolutely inept.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 18 Jun 2023 20:46

Snowflake Royal
Millsy
Snowflake Royal Of course there are worse possible appointments.

There's a lot of shit thrown at the wall, attention seeking and panicking, so until we get something solid I'm not interested in who the latest twitter/bookie favourite is. Thoroughly bored of the feeding frenzy of speculation and rage.

Ok so just to clarify (genuine Q, I've not been keeping up with it beyond random headlines tbh), you'd be totally fine with the appointment of Selles, thnk it'd be a sound appointment? Or you're saying not to trust what we read yet, it's all just speculation and not to worry yet?

At no point have I said I'd be fine with his appointment, I've oxf*rd all clue who he is for a start.

I'm definitely saying the latter.

Thx good to know it's just speculation, I can relax a little. It's just worrying. And exactly the sort of thing I was always expecting from Dai.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 18 Jun 2023 21:28

Ever get the feeling the FL are going out of their way to screw the club over...

https://therealefl.co.uk/2023/06/18/mis ... o-reading/

In addition other media reports suggest Karl Robinson has rejected the chance to take over.

Linden Jones' Tash

by Linden Jones' Tash » 18 Jun 2023 21:55

Sutekh Ever get the feeling the FL are going out of their way to screw the club over...

In addition other media reports suggest Karl Robinson has rejected the chance to take over.

That site states that we've been handed a points deduction for next season - as far as I'm aware of that's factually incorrect as of this moment. The consequences of the late payments may be points lost - but nothing has happened yet or have I missed something?

blueroyals
Hob Nob Regular

by blueroyals » 18 Jun 2023 22:15

Heading into the most important season in recent memory and we're after a manager who:

- Has no playing background
    - Has managed a grand total of 18 games in his entire career
    - Has never signed a player / been through a transfer window as a manager
    - Has no experience managing in either the league we're in nor the league we're trying to get into
    - Will be given a matter of days to prepare a first team squad barely big enough for a 5 aside game to return for pre-season

This is absolutely a Kia Joorabchian appointment isn't it?

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 18 Jun 2023 22:40

SCIAG I see we're reaching whole new heights of bedwetting...

Explain.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 18 Jun 2023 23:10

Linden Jones' Tash
Sutekh Ever get the feeling the FL are going out of their way to screw the club over...

That site states that we've been handed a points deduction for next season - as far as I'm aware of that's factually incorrect as of this moment. The consequences of the late payments may be points lost - but nothing has happened yet or have I missed something?

There is nothing to indicate a points deduction at this point.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 19 Jun 2023 00:08

Elm Park Kid I'm surprised we haven't seen more backlash about Selles. Is it just the fans being blinded by a manager with PL background, the same as the owners?

This is clearly a massive mistake to go down the same route as our previous appointments. Don't get me wrong, I'm not criticising the guy himself, maybe he has the potential to be a solid manager. But we are in crisis and desperately need someone who can inspire confidence from the start. Not another spin of the roulette wheel.

Every choice is effectively a “spin of the roulette wheel”. Huge clamour for Wilder yet his last three seasons:

- Relegated Sheffield United with a measly 14 points in 28 games
- Collapsed and lost out on a top 6 spot with Middlesbrough from a promising situation
- Sacked by Boro this season after a continuation of that poor form before making very little impact at Watford

Not to discredit his achievements, to take a struggling Sheffield side from L1 to the cusp of Europe was fantastic, and obviously Watford are a basket case of a club. But it doesn’t hide the fact he’s struggled in recent years

And part of a wider point that there really is no magic formula when appointing a manager (except for Warnock of course :wink: ). Easy to forget our best two managers in the last 15 years have been the ones with very little prior management experience

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 19 Jun 2023 00:09

blueroyals Heading into the most important season in recent memory and we're after a manager who:

- Has no experience managing in either the league we're in nor the league we're trying to get into
    - Will be given a matter of days to prepare a first team squad barely big enough for a 5 aside game to return for pre-season

He's also been a coach at some top clubs including Aris Thessaloniki, Shinnik Yaroslavl, Strømsgodset Toppfotball and Qarabag. What's not to like?!

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 19 Jun 2023 04:54

blueroyals Heading into the most important season in recent memory and we're after a manager who:

No he isn`t.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 19 Jun 2023 06:11

There must be something about him for Southampton to gave appointed him assistant then manager

Admittedly I’ve no idea what

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 19 Jun 2023 07:48

Hound There must be something about him for Southampton to gave appointed him assistant then manager

Admittedly I’ve no idea what

With Southampton it was probably just right place, right time and cheap (plus they took Nathan Jones too which was also a bit surprising given the managers available)

Unless he was in the Megastore browsing for bargains when Pang walked in that doesn't really apply for us (cheap does though)

768 posts