RUMOURS - Mifsud - Watson

Coppelled Streets
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Coppelled Streets » 18 Dec 2007 21:07

Platypuss They are pretty convinced on cpfc.org that Watson is a done deal.

Good news is true. Very good player and will improve greatly.

Takes our ginger quoter (sp?) back to two too! :wink:

Row Z Royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: LOLandmarks come and go. There'll only ever be one "Clickety Clique"

by Row Z Royal » 18 Dec 2007 22:29

Quota

Arch
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Arch » 18 Dec 2007 22:40

Dave Kitson is our Ginger Quoter. He knows his Shakespeare.

TFF
Hob Nob Addict

by TFF » 18 Dec 2007 23:12

icsouthlondon

Warnock's sale admission

Dec 18 2007

CRYSTAL Palace manager Neil Warnock has refused to rule out some of his star men leaving in next month's transfer window, writes Richard Cawley.

And midfielder Ben Watson, pictured right, could be one set to go - with Reading and Norwich both linked with the ex-England U21 international.

"I'm talking to Ben and we've got to decide what's best for both parties," said Warnock.

"He's doing well at the moment and there's been no interest. But I wouldn't write off anybody going. Somebody could make an offer which is too good to turn down."

Warnock admits Palace's nine-game unbeaten run has changed his transfer plans.

He added: "Six weeks ago I thought I needed five or six but now I'm looking at one or two -maybe three if somebody goes."

Colin seems ready to let him walk - I hope he's fibbing about no interest.

Quality player - could he get straight in the team and thrive at this level though?

royaldownunder

by royaldownunder » 19 Dec 2007 05:06

Matt de K Some interesting & comical views from the CP side of things here - including a swap deal for Lita :lol:

http://forums.cpfc.org/showthread.php?threadid=161862

Haha these guys are comedians:

I love this one:

"if Reading were prepared to give us £1m plus Long or Lita in part exchange"

and:

"The Royals lost their 'Ben' in Sidwell who went for a whopping £7M to the Blue Sh**".

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict
Location: “The mother of idiots is always pregnant”- Italian proverb

by papereyes » 19 Dec 2007 09:43

Behindu I think he's fallen for the annual media story which claims that the playoff final is the biggest game in the world becasue it is worth £60 million to the winner.

I couldn;t quote the accurate breakdwon but I'm fairly sure that figure -

- is a wild guesstimate
- includes all the possible revenue a club might get over the course of a season in the Prem - it may even include allowances for increased tickets sales / merchandise etc etc
- includes parachte payments if they get relegated
- isn;t paid up front so hasn't been pocketed by anyone
- is payable to the club, not an individual

It's a snappy bit of copy to make the payoff final seem a bit more glamourous but I'm not sure we actually received a cheque for that amount the day we got our Golden Share - or indeed that there is any guarantee we will ever get that amount.

The way I see it is it is approximately 60 million for the TV money guaranteed for one season and the two seasons of parachute payments. I actually found the sums for it once and its almost 60 million.

Of course they rounded up.

Oh, Ben Watson. I always replace Sidwell with him in Football Manager. Does that mean he's quite good?

Row Z Royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: LOLandmarks come and go. There'll only ever be one "Clickety Clique"

by Row Z Royal » 19 Dec 2007 12:31

That Friday Feeling And midfielder Ben Watson, pictured right, could be one set to go - with Reading and Norwich both linked with the ex-England U21 international.

Are we aiming too low or are Norwich in cloud cuckoo land? While it's great that we're not shown to be competing with other Prem clubs (as that is a battle we seem to lose) surely we shouldn't be mentioned in the same breath as Norwich anymore.

Or have I just contracted "big club" syndrome? :wink:

Old Biscuitman

by Old Biscuitman » 19 Dec 2007 14:03

Behindu Would signing Stelios just be the Easy option ?

:)

Jets about

Fezza

by Fezza » 19 Dec 2007 16:26

Row Z Royal
That Friday Feeling And midfielder Ben Watson, pictured right, could be one set to go - with Reading and Norwich both linked with the ex-England U21 international.

Are we aiming too low or are Norwich in cloud cuckoo land? While it's great that we're not shown to be competing with other Prem clubs (as that is a battle we seem to lose) surely we shouldn't be mentioned in the same breath as Norwich anymore.

Whilst they seem like Championship relegation candidates they do have an equal amount of spending power to us. Also since Glen "at least he's got half a brain" Roader to charge they have looked a much better outfit. Aren't they also trying to get in Shola Ameobi as well? (would have thought he would add a lot to our team if Lita were to go!).

Tinrib

by Tinrib » 19 Dec 2007 17:17

Fezza
Row Z Royal

Whilst they seem like Championship relegation candidates they do have an equal amount of spending power to us. Also since Glen "at least he's got half a brain" Roader to charge they have looked a much better outfit. Aren't they also trying to get in Shola Ameobi as well? (would have thought he would add a lot to our team if Lita were to go!).

Norwich have nothing like the 'spending power ' of Reading...

http://www.footballeconomy.com/stats2/eng_norwich.htm

2006/07 results for the club released in September 2007 showed that Norwich City Football Club finances were heading into a "challenging" period after profits fell from £2.4m to £100,000 despite £8.4m from the Football League and Premier League 'parachute' payments given to relegated clubs. However, the latter ends this season, leaving Norwich facing a reduction of £7m in their income for 2007/08. "We are now in an extremely challenging position," said Norwich City's chief executive Neil Doncaster. "The environment for clubs, like ourselves, who are trying to compete with in the Championship without these parachute payments is very difficult indeed." NCFC turnover was posted at £23.8m, while gate receipts increased by £100,000 to £7.7m due to increased season ticket revenue. Profit on player trading fell from £6.2m to £2,5m, but wage bill for the squad was cut by £1.6m.

The 2005/06 accounts eleased at NCFC's AGM in November 2006 showed the immense cost of relegation from the Premiership at the end of 2005/6. Turnover fell from £37.4m to £24.7m (largely due to £12.1m drop in income from Premier League and Sky), gate receipts fell by £200,000 (fewer away fans in the Championship than the top flight) and commercial sales (mainly in the club shop) dropped by £1.3m. Overall debt was reduced from £0.5m to £19.2m, which is largely comprised of a £15m "securitisation" loan taken out in 2004 to bring the club's debts together. Chief executive Neil Doncaster said: "In the year covered by these accounts, and despite a £7m parachute payment, the club's cash position worsened by £1.5m." He said the club's financial position was "stable", despite the large debt, which he said was "structured and manageable".

A 2002 share offer changed the status of the club from Norwich City Football Club Limited to Norwich City Football Club plc.

Turnover and pre-tax profit figures are in millions.

Fezza

by Fezza » 19 Dec 2007 19:20

Tinrib
Fezza
Row Z Royal

2006/07 results for the club released in September 2007 showed that Norwich City Football Club finances were heading into a "challenging" period after profits fell from £2.4m to £100,000 despite £8.4m from the Football League and Premier League 'parachute' payments given to relegated clubs. However, the latter ends this season, leaving Norwich facing a reduction of £7m in their income for 2007/08. "We are now in an extremely challenging position," said Norwich City's chief executive Neil Doncaster. "The environment for clubs, like ourselves, who are trying to compete with in the Championship without these parachute payments is very difficult indeed." NCFC turnover was posted at £23.8m, while gate receipts increased by £100,000 to £7.7m due to increased season ticket revenue. Profit on player trading fell from £6.2m to £2,5m, but wage bill for the squad was cut by £1.6m.

The 2005/06 accounts eleased at NCFC's AGM in November 2006 showed the immense cost of relegation from the Premiership at the end of 2005/6. Turnover fell from £37.4m to £24.7m (largely due to £12.1m drop in income from Premier League and Sky), gate receipts fell by £200,000 (fewer away fans in the Championship than the top flight) and commercial sales (mainly in the club shop) dropped by £1.3m. Overall debt was reduced from £0.5m to £19.2m, which is largely comprised of a £15m "securitisation" loan taken out in 2004 to bring the club's debts together. Chief executive Neil Doncaster said: "In the year covered by these accounts, and despite a £7m parachute payment, the club's cash position worsened by £1.5m." He said the club's financial position was "stable", despite the large debt, which he said was "structured and manageable".

A 2002 share offer changed the status of the club from Norwich City Football Club Limited to Norwich City Football Club plc.

I will continue my day of getting nothing right about anything (except for the job I got today!)

Tinrib

by Tinrib » 19 Dec 2007 21:12

Fezza
Tinrib
Fezza
Row Z Royal

I will continue my day of getting nothing right about anything (except for the job I got today!)

Congratulations for getting the job!!

tom_t69

by tom_t69 » 21 Dec 2007 09:19

I think watson sounds like he would be a god signing if he is as goo as all those palace fans are saying.

T.R.O.L.I.
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 2 down, far right - Still recovering from the weekend's excesses

by T.R.O.L.I. » 21 Dec 2007 09:20

tom_t69 I think watson sounds like he would be a god signing if he is as goo as all those palace fans are saying.

I hope this doesn't end up as a sticky situation...

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 21 Dec 2007 17:11

T.R.O.L.I.
tom_t69 I think watson sounds like he would be a god signing if he is as goo as all those palace fans are saying.

Our midfield has certainly needed divine intervention at times this season.

Kevin Doyles Right Foot

by Kevin Doyles Right Foot » 21 Dec 2007 18:19

From Despair To Where?
T.R.O.L.I.

is god goo like jesus juice? :?

Smoking Kills Dancing Doe
Hob Nob Regular

by Smoking Kills Dancing Doe » 22 Dec 2007 14:21

Would certainly have preffered a player of Gary O'Neil's quality.

Watson, like Gera for me is one of those players who's been available since Palace went down. Why has no one signed him? Been plenty of clubs looking for centre mids, we were looking in the summer, if we didn't buy him then, why would we buy him now??

Coppelled Streets
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Coppelled Streets » 22 Dec 2007 18:04

Kevin Doyles Right Foot
From Despair To Where?
T.R.O.L.I.

is god goo like jesus juice? :?

Willy come for long balls? :shock:

18urz71

by 18urz71 » 22 Dec 2007 18:28

You could say the same about Sidwell though. Why didn't he go to a Prem club while we were in the championship?

Drew_3

by Drew_3 » 22 Dec 2007 18:48

18urz71 You could say the same about Sidwell though. Why didn't he go to a Prem club while we were in the championship?

a very good point!!!