RUMOUR - Hal Robson Kanu

Muskrat
Hob Nob Regular

Re: RUMOUR - Hal Robson Kanu

by Muskrat » 23 Jul 2008 22:35

What did ever happen to Peter Castle? He was going to be our CB for next ten years wasn't he?

The Cube

by The Cube » 24 Jul 2008 00:10

Southbank Old Boy I wasn't really counting Henderson either, but over the last say 8 years I couldn't think of more than 4 who've come through our ranks to go on and have productive professional careers (the four being Tyson, Ashdown, Cox and Lockwood - you could maybe claim Hayes at a real push perhaps). There maybe others but I can't think of them (Jamie Young doesn't count either as like Henderson he joined at a later stage).

I realise you did say "productive" professional careers, but there are others who have played League football after leaving Reading, and some of those are still young enough to progress further:
S Allaway
Hadland
Corbisiero
Boucaud
B Smith
Stamp
The first Simon Cox
Castle
Haddow
C Smith
Mullins
Soares

And I bet there are others, as well as a couple who went abroad and might be at a similar level.

Also I don't see why the likes of Henderson and Young shouldn't be included. Beckham joined Manchester United at 16 and I reckon you'd happily categorise him as a player they developed.

The Cube

by The Cube » 24 Jul 2008 00:21

Muskrat What did ever happen to Peter Castle? He was going to be our CB for next ten years wasn't he?

Well, he went to Rushden. I think he then got injured (knee?) and had to retire, although I can't find any record of it.

BR2
Hob Nob Regular

by BR2 » 24 Jul 2008 09:38

The Cube
Muskrat What did ever happen to Peter Castle? He was going to be our CB for next ten years wasn't he?

Well, he went to Rushden. I think he then got injured (knee?) and had to retire, although I can't find any record of it.

No,he plays for Bashley in the British Gas Business League along with teams like Abingdon.

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 24 Jul 2008 10:09

The Cube
Southbank Old Boy I wasn't really counting Henderson either, but over the last say 8 years I couldn't think of more than 4 who've come through our ranks to go on and have productive professional careers (the four being Tyson, Ashdown, Cox and Lockwood - you could maybe claim Hayes at a real push perhaps). There maybe others but I can't think of them (Jamie Young doesn't count either as like Henderson he joined at a later stage).

I realise you did say "productive" professional careers, but there are others who have played League football after leaving Reading, and some of those are still young enough to progress further:
S Allaway
Hadland
Corbisiero
Boucaud
B Smith
Stamp
The first Simon Cox
Castle
Haddow
C Smith
Mullins
Soares

And I bet there are others, as well as a couple who went abroad and might be at a similar level.

Also I don't see why the likes of Henderson and Young shouldn't be included. Beckham joined Manchester United at 16 and I reckon you'd happily categorise him as a player they developed.

I think Adam Lockwood has carved himself a very decent career as we'll probably find out wheen we play Donny this season.