Reading FC was a West Reading club

124 posts
Bandini
Hob Nob Regular
Location: No one must know I dropped my glasses in the toilet.

Re: Reading FC was a West Reading club

by Bandini » 18 Nov 2010 14:19

readingbedding We moved to the Madejski, then the suburbs became interested.

But in my heart RFC will remain a West Reading club.

Spot on, r-bedz.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 18 Nov 2010 14:29

handbags_harris And those with more knowledge of the South West Essex area than you will know that there is also a Rainham there :P

West Reading > East Reading.

Well, who would give a monkey's about South West Essex or indeed Essex generally? Tedious county, precious little to interest anyone there. The accents in that part of the world make someone from Tilehurst sound like Peter Ustinov.

East Reading = Daimler
West Reading = Trabant
Last edited by floyd__streete on 18 Nov 2010 14:30, edited 1 time in total.

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 18 Nov 2010 14:30

Again, nothing wrong with that.

Missing the whole point.

Rainham Dagger

by Rainham Dagger » 18 Nov 2010 14:45

floyd__streete
Rainham Dagger If your family going back several generations were all Geordies, Brummies, Cornish whatever - you can kind of understand a bit of local pride - but to get this coming from someone from Reading is LOLaughable. And to then further split it out by a kind of "my bland suburb of a bland town is better than yours" is, well :|

A Medway-based Dagenham fan slagging off the town of Reading :lol:.

FTR Dagenham is a sh!thole, Rainham is a sh!thole - the difference is people here know it.

Oh and :lol: at your geography.

LoyalRoyalFan
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyalFan » 18 Nov 2010 14:47

What places would you consider East Reading or West Reading?

What about North Reading/South Reading?

Bandini
Hob Nob Regular
Location: No one must know I dropped my glasses in the toilet.

by Bandini » 18 Nov 2010 14:48

LoyalRoyalFan

They can both fukk off.

Royal With Cheese
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal With Cheese » 18 Nov 2010 14:53

When the bulldozers finally moved into Elm Park a little piece of me died.

I'd take Elm Park back any day of the week over our current stadium.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 18 Nov 2010 15:04

agreed

but even if it meant never being in th etop flight, and spending the rest of our existence bouncing around between 3rd/4th flight?

Royal With Cheese
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal With Cheese » 18 Nov 2010 15:11

brendywendy agreed

but even if it meant never being in th etop flight, and spending the rest of our existence bouncing around between 3rd/4th flight?

It's a very personal thing but, on reflection, yes - I enjoyed football more then.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 18 Nov 2010 15:20

Royal With Cheese
brendywendy agreed

It's a very personal thing but, on reflection, yes - I enjoyed football more then.

Isn't that just because you actually used to go to games in those days?

I agree by the way. It's not the same going to the Madejski and for all the success we've had I'd not miss it and would've been happy continuing at Elm Park without a lot of these 'new plastics' we have following us these days.

Royal With Cheese
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal With Cheese » 18 Nov 2010 15:29

Hoop Blah
Royal With Cheese
brendywendy agreed

Isn't that just because you actually used to go to games in those days?

I agree by the way. It's not the same going to the Madejski and for all the success we've had I'd not miss it and would've been happy continuing at Elm Park without a lot of these 'new plastics' we have following us these days.

I'm not sure if I would have moved away so readily if Elm Park was still there. It certainly made the process of hopping over the Irish Sea a bit easier.

It's also the time in my life I remember the fondest. Young free and single, a good bunch of buddies, company car and a decent fuel allowance back in the days where you weren't crucified by the tax man. I had a ball!

Z175
Hob Nob Regular

by Z175 » 18 Nov 2010 15:52

LoyalRoyalFan What places would you consider East Reading or West Reading?

Heres a map to help you understand the complex geography of this great metropolis.
http://www.reading.gov.uk/images/Whats_ ... oliday.gif

And is it intentional that the South area is RFC blue and the pseudo-oxfordshire north is put in yellow?

But heres one with West reading in blue - for our loyal locals
http://www.reading.gov.uk/Images/Health ... mareas.gif

As for your Earleys and Winnersh etc - well they're in Wokingham nowadays. Why don't you F*** OFF and go watch Wokingham & Emmbrook FC?

Winnershroyal

by Winnershroyal » 18 Nov 2010 16:10

Z175
LoyalRoyalFan What places would you consider East Reading or West Reading?

Heres a map to help you understand the complex geography of this great metropolis.
http://www.reading.gov.uk/images/Whats_ ... oliday.gif

And is it intentional that the South area is RFC blue and the pseudo-oxfordshire north is put in yellow?

But heres one with West reading in blue - for our loyal locals
http://www.reading.gov.uk/Images/Health ... mareas.gif

As for your Earleys and Winnersh etc - well they're in Wokingham nowadays. Why don't you F*** OFF and go watch Wokingham & Emmbrook FC?

Better class of mong.

strap
Hob Nob Regular

by strap » 18 Nov 2010 16:19

floyd__streete Well, who would give a monkey's about South West Essex or indeed Essex generally? Tedious county, precious little to interest anyone there.

Oi! Floyd! NO!!! You're having a laugh mate! North Essex is the business son!

Mintymurray

by Mintymurray » 18 Nov 2010 16:47

What the! I have lived all over the world, never in West Reading. I believe there was little part of it though that was mine. My turf, my concrete steps, my familiar faces, my southbank. I have never lived anywhere that matches the emotion of my southbank. The new house will never be home, but then my team play there so that´s where we go.

LoyalRoyalFan
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyalFan » 18 Nov 2010 18:43

North Reading!

SLAMMED
Hob Nob Addict

by SLAMMED » 18 Nov 2010 19:18

Legoland?

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 18 Nov 2010 19:27

Rainham Dagger FTR Dagenham is a sh!thole, Rainham is a sh!thole - the difference is people here know it.

Oh and :lol: at your geography.

LOL @ living in the second best and second most famous place called Rainham.

How very British of you by the way: "oh, where I live is a shithole but at least I know it is a shithole". I expect that you also crack up when someone farts in a queue.

strap
floyd__streete Well, who would give a monkey's about South West Essex or indeed Essex generally? Tedious county, precious little to interest anyone there.

Oi! Floyd! NO!!! You're having a laugh mate! North Essex is the business son!

Seems a bit Birds of a Feather for my liking, Strappers, but who am I to argue with one of the Elders of RFC?

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 18 Nov 2010 19:49

dunno about east or west reading, but Theale was a bit shit.

oldebiscuit

by oldebiscuit » 18 Nov 2010 21:31

readingbedding Indeed, I would also say that West Reading is the heartbeat of the whole town.

RFC will always be a West Reading club to me...

Wasn't Reading FC founded after a meeting in Bridge street (North Reading), with the first games being played at Reading Recreation Park (Courages sports ground at Coley Park), followed by games being payed at Hills Meadow, Caversham? Its not exactley West Reading.

PS as someone that was born and bred in Reading (West actually), i have to admit that the whole Town is a grey, un-inspiring and not very attractive, being the sort of place that you wouldn't visit unless you had some business here or a relative to visit. All the areas have a few nice spots, ( The Warren, Oak Tree Road, The University area etc.) but generally not one suburb is much better than another. There seems to be a lot of serious crime and 'No Go Areas' in CAVERSHAM, but nice restaurants. In TILEHURST there is a lot of, but less serious crime, but not a decent restaurant to be found (except Indian), and its where lots of Reading players used to live in the days when they earned ordinary money. SOUTHCOTE and COLEY just seem to be unattractive Council Estates. WOODLEY is full of 'Wannabee Gangsters'/Village Idiots' and no decent venues. WHITLEY, not even a pub now because the Locals can't behave. EARLEY, dull, soulless area with lots of 'Mr. Average' ugly 1960's housing, neatly cut front lawns and HP cars (check out 'Mr. Clean' by 'The Jam'), and full of students who just think that Reading is the nearest shopping convenience to their University. EAST READING/NEWTOWN, its where you go to buy your coke. Full of 'Dodgy Characters' that would chiv you up without a second thought. WEST READING (see east Reading) and its where you go for seedy late night entertainment after you've been kicked out of the pubs. The Oxford Road probably the most interesting road in Reading, although you wouldn't want to live there. But for reasons that i can't explain, i like living in Reading.

124 posts