BFTG Sheffield Weds (H)

162 posts
Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: BFTG Sheffield Weds (H)

by Pepe the Horseman » 31 Jan 2015 22:48

3points
Pepe the Horseman Cox came off so we could tighten up the midfield and see out the game.

Apart from the fact it didn't really work imo

Other than the fact that we saw the game out you mean?

P!ssed Off
Hob Nob Regular

by P!ssed Off » 31 Jan 2015 22:53

Awful penalty.

Not quite as awful as the linesman's offside flag for McCleary.
He was so blatantly onside! I think there needs to be some sort of retrospective punishment for linesmen wrongly ruling out goals for offside. It might encourage them to actually follow the rules for a change and give the attacker the benefit of the doubt.

higher
Hob Nob Regular

by higher » 31 Jan 2015 23:32

Pepe the Horseman HRK's pathetic pen. https://vine.co/v/Otwj7drHdO9

Thanks for clip share.Indeed a most dismal and shamefully limp effort. We can only pray Mr Clarke removes him from further such responsibilty hencewith. :twisted:

SydenhamRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by SydenhamRoyal » 31 Jan 2015 23:41

P!ssed Off Awful penalty.

He was so blatantly onside! I think there needs to be some sort of retrospective punishment for linesmen wrongly ruling out goals for offside. It might encourage them to actually follow the rules for a change and give the attacker the benefit of the doubt.

He didnt rule out a goal for offside. The ref saw the flag, and blew the whistle before McCleary took his shot. Van Persie got a second yellow and a sending off at Barcelona for Arsenal for doing exactly that.
The assistant referees (as they are actually called) don't follow the rules, they follow the laws of football. In every game they will probably make a 100 decisions. They get paid about £300. What punishment would you give for one wrong decision? Nathaniel Chalobah gets paid £30,000 a week and he made a few wrong decisions today, so I assume you'll include that in your thinking about the punishment to the bloke getting 1% of that.

How would you judge that the "mistake" was worthy of whatever punishment it was decided upon - for example, how many slow motion replays would be required? And would that need to be done for every single decision? Would they get a bonus for the decision that was right, even though some pillock was screaming that they got it wrong? Would it only apply to decisions that were absolutely right or wrong, rather than those where different people have different opinions? Given that every ref and assistant ref will make a mistake in a game - either as a matter of fact, or according to some pillock's opinion - do you think that punishing them, lets say by dropping them altogether or removing the match fee for one mistake will a) lead to no referees at all and therefore no football or b) lead to no referees at all and therefore no football.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 31 Jan 2015 23:53

that's a bit fucking preachy

WestRoyal

by WestRoyal » 31 Jan 2015 23:56

SydenhamRoyal

He didnt rule out a goal for offside. The ref saw the flag, and blew the whistle before McCleary took his shot. Van Persie got a second yellow and a sending off at Barcelona for Arsenal for doing exactly that.
The assistant referees (as they are actually called) don't follow the rules, they follow the laws of football. In every game they will probably make a 100 decisions. They get paid about £300. What punishment would you give for one wrong decision? Nathaniel Chalobah gets paid £30,000 a week and he made a few wrong decisions today, so I assume you'll include that in your thinking about the punishment to the bloke getting 1% of that.

How would you judge that the "mistake" was worthy of whatever punishment it was decided upon - for example, how many slow motion replays would be required? And would that need to be done for every single decision? Would they get a bonus for the decision that was right, even though some pillock was screaming that they got it wrong? Would it only apply to decisions that were absolutely right or wrong, rather than those where different people have different opinions? Given that every ref and assistant ref will make a mistake in a game - either as a matter of fact, or according to some pillock's opinion - do you think that punishing them, lets say by dropping them altogether or removing the match fee for one mistake will a) lead to no referees at all and therefore no football or b) lead to no referees at all and therefore no football.

Here we go

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 01 Feb 2015 00:13

Not sure punishing is the answer. How about
improve the standards, pay them more and use technology. It would take 5 seconds to check an offside

WestRoyal

by WestRoyal » 01 Feb 2015 00:25

bcubed Not sure punishing is the answer. How about
improve the standards, pay them more and use technology. It would take 5 seconds to check an offside

+1

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 01 Feb 2015 00:28

We finally looked organised. Solid.

Under Adkins we would have probably lost that 2 nil. In a shambles.

However we have to start taking our chances and winning games. (Fulham, Millwall for example)

P!ssed Off
Hob Nob Regular

by P!ssed Off » 01 Feb 2015 00:36

SydenhamRoyal

You're either a Referee's Union spokesman, or just a cretin in general.

The linesman's flag and the referees whistle did not affect the play. The same event would have transpired had the linesman correctly kept his flag down. Ergo: the goal was ruled out for offside.

Chalobah's pay/ job performance, is completely irrelevant to that of a match official.
And are we really supposed to feel sorry for match officials only getting paid "about £300" for 90 minutes work? That sounds like quite a good rate to me.
And what do we require of them for this £300? An understanding of the rules of the game, a bit of fitness, and that they not spoil the match for the observers.

The benefit of the doubt is supposed to be given to the attacker. The linesman (I couldn't give a oxf*rd what his official name is you bellend!) can only stick his flag up if he is certain a player is offside. If he's looking down the line and is certain that a player is offside when he's a yard onside, then he's in the wrong profession. Likewise if he's too fat to keep up with the play, like our referee today, then he's in the wrong profession.

As for your 2nd paragraph: I didn't bother reading it. No doubt it was yet more drivel.
Last edited by P!ssed Off on 01 Feb 2015 00:42, edited 2 times in total.

Niko

by Niko » 01 Feb 2015 00:37

Just saw that disallowed McCleary goal on the FLS, brilliant move and never looked offside.

Deadlock
Hob Nob Regular
Location: There's nothing of value there and the people make very poor slaves.

by Deadlock » 01 Feb 2015 00:39

Just seen it on the Football League Show. McCleary was onside, but Cox was at least two yards offside and I think the lino flagged for him.

[Edit] Well there you go; still plenty of opinions to be had :D

marlowuk

by marlowuk » 01 Feb 2015 01:21

Deadlock

Just seen it on the Football League Show. McCleary was onside, but Cox was at least two yards offside and I think the lino flagged for him

I had to re-run the FLS coverage of that incident several times before I could be 'reasonably' sure that McCleary was not offside. Cox may have been in an offside position but I don't think he could be judged to have been interfering with play. The goal should have stood although it was not quite as cut and dried as some have suggested.

marlowuk

by marlowuk » 01 Feb 2015 01:24

RoyalBlue
marlowuk I didn't see much improvement in Robson-Kanu today and his penalty attempt was dreadful. He scored - luckily in my opinion - with a similar penalty against Norwich earlier in the season. Rolling the ball gently along the ground into the centre of the goal only works if the goalie dives one way or the other!! Today Ruddy stood his ground!

Which really shouldn't have made much difference given he wasn't playing in goal! :wink:

Ooops! :oops:
Of course Ruddy did dive (for Norwich!). Westwood (for Wednesday) didn't. I'm sure he would have watched a recording of the Norwich game for that info!

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 01 Feb 2015 08:14

P!ssed Off
SydenhamRoyal

If you want to go around calling people cretins or bellends then you may want to avoid making yourself look a lot worse in your own comments, which at bes suggest you have no idea about refereeing and at worst make you look like one of those terrace loudmouths people slate on here so often.
I didn't think the ref was great yesterday but statistically officials make far fewer mistakes thnn players. And if for £300 you want perfection from officials then what do you think players should deliver for £20,000 ?

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 01 Feb 2015 08:35

Deadlock

Just seen it on the Football League Show. McCleary was onside, but Cox was at least two yards offside and I think the lino flagged for him.

[Edit] Well there you go; still plenty of opinions to be had :D

But Cox was not interfering with play, i.e. under todays guidelines offside is for the player receiving/touching the ball and that was McLeary who was onside. As I recall Cox was offside in the centre and was looking to get back onside.

That said we all know officials are just as clueless on offsides as the rest of us, anyone remember the farcical goal Hull were awarded at the Mad Stad back in 2012 or the stupid decision at Spurs a couple of weeks ago or the.... well you could go on and on and fill several hundred pages with these examples.

At the end of the day people all make mistakes, it's called human error and is quite rightly part and parcel of the GAME so let's all keep these as talking points and move on to the next game.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 01 Feb 2015 08:50

I was a bit worried in the first 5 mins, as Wednesday battered us. But once it settled down there was only gonna be one winner. Some nice moves, one in particular which nearly ended in an og, we must've strung 20+ passes ttogether.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 01 Feb 2015 09:00

If Nathaniel Chalobah makes a mistake or several mistakes that have an effect on the outcome of the game what happens to him? He has his performance analysed and he most likely gets "rested" with someone else coming in to take his place. That is the way Chalobah will improve. Will the linesman be "rested"? Hopefully he will be dropped down a couple of leagues and told where he's gone wrong.

That's the only way he'll learn and improve. How he won't improve is by people who are so desperate to appear like they are the grown ups in the village telling him he's more or less done nothing wrong and he shouldn't try to improve because he only earns £300 a match. And hey, guess what? If he does improve then he won't be going down the divisions, he'll be going up them.

SydenhamRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by SydenhamRoyal » 01 Feb 2015 09:05

P!ssed Off
SydenhamRoyal

The linesman's flag and the referees whistle did not affect the play. The same event would have transpired had the linesman correctly kept his flag down. Ergo: the goal was ruled out for offside.

Chalobah's pay/ job performance, is completely irrelevant to that of a match official.
And are we really supposed to feel sorry for match officials only getting paid "about £300" for 90 minutes work? That sounds like quite a good rate to me.
And what do we require of them for this £300? An understanding of the rules of the game, a bit of fitness, and that they not spoil the match for the observers.

The benefit of the doubt is supposed to be given to the attacker. The linesman (I couldn't give a oxf*rd what his official name is you bellend!) can only stick his flag up if he is certain a player is offside. If he's looking down the line and is certain that a player is offside when he's a yard onside, then he's in the wrong profession. Likewise if he's too fat to keep up with the play, like our referee today, then he's in the wrong profession.

As for your 2nd paragraph: I didn't bother reading it. No doubt it was yet more drivel.

LOL :D

donh99

by donh99 » 01 Feb 2015 09:23

Y21 Was it just their strip, or were Wednesdays players some of the heaviest to visit the Madejski? Obviously their no.9 was a proper old school unit, but a few of the others looked as though they had been enjoying the pies.

Explains why Royston fitted in so well!

162 posts