Charlie Watts - great journo

145 posts
Cripple Creek
Hob Nob Regular
Posts: 2067
Joined: 22 Apr 2004 13:40
Location: I bought my hat at a featrical costumiere old bean

Charlie Watts - great journo

by Cripple Creek » 25 Jan 2016 09:28

Just thought - assuming Charles Watts occasionally looks on here, although fair play if he doesn't - it was worth mentioning what a great job he does for Get Reading. He writes well, seems genuinely knowledgeable and enthusiastic about everything at the club and, most importantly, keeps the news on Reading fantastically well up to date. I also like the fact that he is willing to pose questions to the managers that are likely to make them uncomfortable and demand that they justify their decisions. I think he's a terrific sports reporter and we're lucky to have him. Personally if I was running a national paper I'd have my eye on him.

bluerinse
Member
Posts: 133
Joined: 16 Aug 2015 09:17

Re: Charlie Watts - great journo

by bluerinse » 25 Jan 2016 10:05

He is Ok- get feed up with "5 things we learnt this week" comment. He needs to use his imagination more and not be so repetitious.

User avatar
genome
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Posts: 15943
Joined: 08 Jul 2012 13:29
Location: Universe

Re: Charlie Watts - great journo

by genome » 25 Jan 2016 10:22

Cripple Creek wrote:Just thought - assuming Charles Watts occasionally looks on here, although fair play if he doesn't - it was worth mentioning what a great job he does for Get Reading. He writes well, seems genuinely knowledgeable and enthusiastic about everything at the club and, most importantly, keeps the news on Reading fantastically well up to date. I also like the fact that he is willing to pose questions to the managers that are likely to make them uncomfortable and demand that they justify their decisions. I think he's a terrific sports reporter and we're lucky to have him. Personally if I was running a national paper I'd have my eye on him.


+1

User avatar
John Smith
Hob Nob Regular
Posts: 1685
Joined: 21 Jan 2010 00:47
Location: Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio

Re: Charlie Watts - great journo

by John Smith » 25 Jan 2016 10:28

oxf*rd him he's an Arsenal fan

User avatar
tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Regular
Posts: 2878
Joined: 15 Jun 2012 15:24

Re: Charlie Watts - great journo

by tidus_mi2 » 25 Jan 2016 10:41

John Smith wrote:oxf*rd him he's an Arsenal fan

This.

But seriously yeah I do like him as a journo, shame he's an Arsenal fan like his predecessor.


User avatar
Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Posts: 17219
Joined: 23 Jun 2011 10:24
Location: Putting right what once went wrong

Re: Charlie Watts - great journo

by Pepe the Horseman » 25 Jan 2016 10:42

Jonny Fords was a Spuds fan.

User avatar
Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Posts: 33319
Joined: 14 Apr 2004 12:26

Re: Charlie Watts - great journo

by Maguire » 25 Jan 2016 10:44

I think he's pretty good at what he does, better than his predecessor at any rate.

I don't blame him for doing a 5 Things We Learned section - proven way of generating clicks for a website. Don't read them myself but I bet plenty of people do.

User avatar
Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Posts: 15480
Joined: 14 Apr 2004 09:00
Location: I told you so.....

Re: Charlie Watts - great journo

by Hoop Blah » 25 Jan 2016 10:49

Maguire wrote:I think he's pretty good at what he does, better than his predecessor at any rate.

I don't blame him for doing a 5 Things We Learned section - proven way of generating clicks for a website. Don't read them myself but I bet plenty of people do.


These are a bit of a pet hate of mine, as if they can't be bothered to right in anything more than bullet points.

Considering the readership and the way people consume their news these days though it's understandable and even the broadsheets are doing it now.

I don't read Get Reading too much these days but I think Watts does a pretty good job from what I do see on their and his Twitter feed. Probably the best coverage since The Hound's heyday.

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict
Posts: 8827
Joined: 15 Apr 2004 10:52
Location: All Good Things Come To An End

Re: Charlie Watts - great journo

by Gordons Cumming » 25 Jan 2016 11:07

If anyone knows about writing Cripple Creek does.


User avatar
Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Posts: 15853
Joined: 06 Jul 2015 00:19
Location: JAPAN! fcuk you all.

Re: Charlie Watts - great journo

by Maneki Neko » 25 Jan 2016 11:35

crippers knows how to write
crippers writes a post fulsome in its praise of Watts

Crippers IS Watts!

User avatar
Sutekh
Hob Nob Addict
Posts: 5614
Joined: 12 Feb 2014 15:05
Location: Destroying things.... just like Michael Gilkes used to

Re: Charlie Watts - great journo

by Sutekh » 25 Jan 2016 11:51

Clive Baskerville.

User avatar
maffff
Hob Nob Addict
Posts: 5340
Joined: 25 Nov 2010 10:22

Re: Charlie Watts - great journo

by maffff » 25 Jan 2016 12:04

It's good to see Baskerville still doing some articles.

But yeah, I like Charles. Seems to strike a good balance between being open and communicative and keeping the club open to talking with him. I like that sometimes he's happy to disagree with things Reading have done, even if the majority of fans disagree (e.g. the Blackman sale) and clearly he just loves his football. Being an Arsenal fan doesn't seem to limit him caring about us.

I look at many of the other clubs local journos on twitter and have to think we've got one of the best. Him and Paul Carey seemed like a good duo too - shame he's run off elsewhere.

User avatar
bobby1413
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Posts: 10638
Joined: 07 Apr 2005 10:55
Location: Reading

Re: Charlie Watts - great journo

by bobby1413 » 25 Jan 2016 12:07

He only ever replies to "his favourites" on twitter. The same ones who constantly message him. Plus he goes on about Arsenal way too much. Like all sports journalists he's tiresome and quickly gets boring.


Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Posts: 18037
Joined: 14 Apr 2004 08:37
Location: Nearby, unless you're somewhere else

Re: Charlie Watts - great journo

by Forbury Lion » 25 Jan 2016 12:52

Cripple Creek wrote:Charles Watts is gr8

You are Charlie Watts AICMTP

User avatar
Angry Shed Sex
Hob Nob Regular
Posts: 1855
Joined: 12 Jun 2013 12:48

Re: Charlie Watts - great journo

by Angry Shed Sex » 25 Jan 2016 13:14

bluerinse wrote:He is Ok- get feed up with "5 things we learnt this week" comment. He needs to use his imagination more and not be so repetitious.

Agreed - I've suggested to him he does a 6 things we learned this week .

Big Foot
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Posts: 14412
Joined: 30 Jun 2008 15:19
Location: #MagicOfTheCup #RoadToWembley

Re: Charlie Watts - great journo

by Big Foot » 25 Jan 2016 14:23

bobby1413 wrote:He only ever replies to "his favourites" on twitter. The same ones who constantly message him. Plus he goes on about Arsenal way too much. Like all sports journalists he's tiresome and quickly gets boring.
Sour grapes because he doesn't tweet you?

User avatar
bobby1413
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Posts: 10638
Joined: 07 Apr 2005 10:55
Location: Reading

Re: Charlie Watts - great journo

by bobby1413 » 25 Jan 2016 14:26

Big Foot wrote:
bobby1413 wrote:He only ever replies to "his favourites" on twitter. The same ones who constantly message him. Plus he goes on about Arsenal way too much. Like all sports journalists he's tiresome and quickly gets boring.
Sour grapes because he doesn't tweet you?


Not really, I just find him to be gr8 m8's with certain people (yourself included) yet ignores comments/opinions/suggestions by anyone else.

User avatar
leon
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Posts: 15507
Joined: 14 Apr 2004 09:18
Location: Hips, Lips, Tits, Power

Re: Charlie Watts - great journo

by leon » 25 Jan 2016 14:36

bluerinse wrote:He is Ok- get feed up with "5 things we learnt this week" comment. He needs to use his imagination more and not be so repetitious.


What like, "5 new ways to drive your man wild in bed" ? That sort of thing?

User avatar
leon
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Posts: 15507
Joined: 14 Apr 2004 09:18
Location: Hips, Lips, Tits, Power

Re: Charlie Watts - great journo

by leon » 25 Jan 2016 14:36

bluerinse wrote:He is Ok- get feed up with "5 things we learnt this week" comment. He needs to use his imagination more and not be so repetitious.


What like, "5 new ways to drive your man wild in bed" ? That sort of thing?

User avatar
Ouroboros
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Posts: 10864
Joined: 18 Jan 2013 00:40

Re: Charlie Watts - great journo

by Ouroboros » 25 Jan 2016 15:19

It should have been me.

145 posts

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 48 guests

It is currently 22 Nov 2017 07:28