Coldest away end in Football

YateleyRoyal
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Either screwing or working, so the grind don't stop

Re: Coldest away end in Football

by YateleyRoyal » 26 Jan 2016 16:42

I went from Hull to Oldham once to watch a game, only for it to be called off for a frozen pitch. Does that count?

LWJ
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Hobnob Prediction League Champion 2011/2012, 2020/2021

by LWJ » 26 Jan 2016 17:25

Pepe the Horseman
LWJ PNE was cold this year

Reckon MK was colder. PNE was just wet.

:wink:

I was relatively warm at MK tbf.

Forgot about Derby this year, that was pretty cold but I stupidly wore a thin coat.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 26 Jan 2016 19:35

Mr Optimist Definitely Boundary Park aka Ice Station Zebra, a nickname that Joe Royle came up with.

I remember a Friday night away game there in 1986-87, we lost 4-0 on their plastic pitch. There was a bloke on the coach who left Reading in a t shirt, jeans, and espadrilles on his feet with no socks. After about ten minutes he thought he was going to die of hypothermia and sat the rest of the match out on the coach.

Oldham in September 94 was nearly as cold as Burnley the following January which barring, St Petersburg in the middle of winter, is the coldest I have ever been.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 26 Jan 2016 20:29

Would like to put forward The Camrose in Basingstoke as a suggestion. Always seems to be Arctic conditions even in August.

Went to a Boxing Day game when I was young, circa 95ish when Basingstoke played Aldershit which was exceptionally cold.

Mr Optimist
Hob Nob Regular

by Mr Optimist » 26 Jan 2016 20:39

From Despair To Where?
Mr Optimist Definitely Boundary Park aka Ice Station Zebra, a nickname that Joe Royle came up with.

I remember a Friday night away game there in 1986-87, we lost 4-0 on their plastic pitch. There was a bloke on the coach who left Reading in a t shirt, jeans, and espadrilles on his feet with no socks. After about ten minutes he thought he was going to die of hypothermia and sat the rest of the match out on the coach.

Oldham in September 94 was nearly as cold as Burnley the following January which barring, St Petersburg in the middle of winter, is the coldest I have ever been.

Went to both of those games too, Archie and the Osborne dinked goal at Oldham, and Nogan and a Scotty 25 yard screamer at Burnley? I think I was massively pissed at Burnley as I remember it possibly being called off for the pitch being frozen but we'd had a skinful in the cricket club with lashings of pie and peas and were bullet proof!

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 26 Jan 2016 20:52

In my refereeing days i did Havant & Waterlooville vs Dorchester.

Evening kick off and as I am a short sleeve and Vaseline man it was cold as it was but it got to minus 8 or 9. It was biting and no amount of running was going to improve things.

60 mins in and game called off as pitch resembled a skating rink.

As a fan of Reading FC Fulham last year was bloody freezing but there might be more that springs to mind.

Mr Optimist
Hob Nob Regular

by Mr Optimist » 26 Jan 2016 20:58

Wigan at home midweek last year was bloody freezing. Luckily the sparkling football on display warmed the cockles lol!

The Cube

by The Cube » 26 Jan 2016 22:42

Has to be Odsal. After the Reading game there I couldn't untie my flag from the fence because my fingers were frozen (had to ask for help from a steward, who I think had seen it all before).

I've been there a few times since and it was always very very cold. One visit was on a hot summer's day in August - next to the turnstiles there were ice cream vans doing a roaring trade, but in the bowl the temperature was 20 degrees lower and hot coffee was essential. Had I returned the following week I would have brought full winter clothing.

Of current football grounds, Boundary Park is the clear winner especially if you're somewhere that the wind can get to. Watersheddings (the old rugby league ground) was even colder, difficult though it might be to believe.

Starfish
Hob Nob Regular

by Starfish » 26 Jan 2016 23:32

Well, I live in Germany (have I mentioned that before?). January 16th 2010 (I think), I was at a game between Greuther Fürth and 1. FC Kaiserslautern and it was -14°C according to the 'big' screen. Game was stopped in the middle of the second half because the 'Lautern fans were throwing snowballs (rather accurately) at the Fürth goalkeeper, Stephan Loboué (who played for the Ivory Coast a couple of times, in different circumstances, I imagine). Fürth won 3-0.

Maybe the 1-4 home defeat against KSC before Christmas was colder though.

Angry Shed Sex
Hob Nob Regular

by Angry Shed Sex » 27 Jan 2016 00:03

Boundary Park. 1988. Horizontal Snow. It was a Friday. I got the train up with no way of getting back. Ended up on 4am train from Manchester back to London.

Uncovered terrace. Never known anything like it before or since.

And we got absolutely gubbed.

Mr Optimist
Hob Nob Regular

by Mr Optimist » 27 Jan 2016 05:33

Angry Shed Sex Boundary Park. 1988. Horizontal Snow. It was a Friday. I got the train up with no way of getting back. Ended up on 4am train from Manchester back to London.

Pretty sure that was the 87 game Angry. I went the following season too and I am sure that was on a Saturday. Denny Fullbrook gave me and a mate a couple of "comps" that the coach oners used to hang around the players entrance to try and pick up (does this still happen?!).

We went by train that day on a go anywhere for a fiver type offer and definitely made it back in a day just about! Pretty sure we were grubbed again though, Friday or a Saturday, didn't make any difference, we were very bad that season, completely clueless.

exileinleeds
Hob Nob Addict

by exileinleeds » 27 Jan 2016 10:32

It's like none of you ever went to Saltergate. That was fukking cold, exposed, and bloody miserable.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 27 Jan 2016 20:43

Mr Optimist
From Despair To Where?

Went to both of those games too, Archie and the Osborne dinked goal at Oldham, and Nogan and a Scotty 25 yard screamer at Burnley? I think I was massively pissed at Burnley as I remember it possibly being called off for the pitch being frozen but we'd had a skinful in the cricket club with lashings of pie and peas and were bullet proof!

Those were the ones. The Burnley game particularly, it was absolutely hosing it down horizontal freezing rain. I spent half time clutching a coffee, vainly trying to coax some life back into my fingers. I'd driven back to Manchester after the game by the time I got any feeling back into them.

Mr Optimist
Hob Nob Regular

by Mr Optimist » 27 Jan 2016 21:02

At least during the game at Burnley I think we were under cover on the Bumhole or Beehole terrace, I think it was called, down one side of the pitch, bit like the South Bank but bigger.

Just remembered the away game at Hartlepool first game of the season, 92? Left Reading in August sunshine at 9 to arrive in Teeside to sleet by 2pm!

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 27 Jan 2016 21:45

The Longside. The Beehole was the open home terrace behind the goal IIRC. I particularly remember the mist rolling in and engulfing the main stand on the opposite side.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 27 Jan 2016 21:49

exileinleeds It's like none of you ever went to Saltergate. That was fukking cold, exposed, and bloody miserable.

With the piss drains and guttering you had to step over.

Royality creeps In
Hob Nob Regular

by Royality creeps In » 28 Jan 2016 06:22

Who remembers Port Vale away. Last game of the season (1980's?) on the open terrace. It snowed. :roll:

Angry Shed Sex
Hob Nob Regular

by Angry Shed Sex » 28 Jan 2016 09:35

Mr Optimist
Angry Shed Sex Boundary Park. 1988. Horizontal Snow. It was a Friday. I got the train up with no way of getting back. Ended up on 4am train from Manchester back to London.

Pretty sure that was the 87 game Angry. I went the following season too and I am sure that was on a Saturday. Denny Fullbrook gave me and a mate a couple of "comps" that the coach oners used to hang around the players entrance to try and pick up (does this still happen?!).

We went by train that day on a go anywhere for a fiver type offer and definitely made it back in a day just about! Pretty sure we were grubbed again though, Friday or a Saturday, didn't make any difference, we were very bad that season, completely clueless.

Yes - you're right. I must admit I had to look it up (my memory is definitely not what it was!) - according to 11v11 the 4-0 game was on 6th March 1987 which was a Friday.

Did you end up in the stand with the comps? I probably know you as in those days there was only probably a hard core of 40 or so Reading fans that travelled regularly. I don't think I got a comp but often got them from players.

Remember we had got promoted the previous season, Oldham we a good side (yes folks, really they were) and were destined for the playoffs that year.

I remember the game as a few days earlier I'd supposedly gone to Fulham's last ever game as they were in severe financial difficulties - a drab 0-0 affair with no redeeming features.

I did watch some shit in the 80's!

Brum Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Brum Royal » 28 Jan 2016 11:11

Whenever this topic rolls around, this game always gets the vote from me

http://www.royals.org/matdoc/301199.html

Away to Halifax in an FA Cup round 2 replay in 99. Played in a gale and driving rain and we were stood on an uncovered terrace getting thoroughly cold and wet through the duration. The Reading penalty was at least scored in front of us, I'd forgotten we needed a last minute penalty save from Howie to put us through. The bench was made of plastic garden chairs and so every time a member of the bench stood up their chair kept blowing on to the pitch, iirc leading to a couple of stoppages to retrieve them.

6ft Kerplunk
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by 6ft Kerplunk » 28 Jan 2016 11:31

Two rubbish teams made to look even worse by the gale, a truly bad game of football. Don't remember it being that cold though just wet and windy.