52%
Ian Royal
21%

Total votes: 92
BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Promotion: Yea or Nay

by BR0B0T » 10 Jan 2017 00:24

Well, are the Royals staying in this division or making it to the magical football wonderland?

Davezk

Re: Promotion: Yea or Nay

by Davezk » 10 Jan 2017 00:26

Yes. No such thing as too early for promotion.

Mike Hunt
Hob Nob Regular

by Mike Hunt » 10 Jan 2017 04:22

No. A year too early.

The problem is, I can see us losing Stam, Kelly, Evans and Swift in the summer....

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 10 Jan 2017 06:50

Mike Hunt No. A year too early.

The problem is, I can see us losing Stam, Kelly, Evans and Swift in the summer....

In that case the best way to keep them is to get promote.
Can't see it as a realistic situation to lose them to be honest.

In terms of promotion I think we are a long way off being ready for it, but we've got a better chance of being in the playoffs than 23 other teams as things stand.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 10 Jan 2017 08:43

with the amount of money in the Prem, I don't think there is ever a time when you would turn it down for another season in the champ.

I think the ideal is you get promoted and then hope for a bit of luck and try to hang on in for a year or two to get established.

I don't think we will make it up this year to be honest though

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 10 Jan 2017 09:04

I think we're going to get close to promotion, but I think it will end in disapointment for us this season unfortunately.

Of course we want to go up this season. Two or three good signings once promoted could be enough to keep us up. So we should always be wanting to go up. I think we're going to be miss out though. I'm not sure we have what it takes to win the really crunch games. And if we are going up this season there will be a few crunch games that we must win.

As a team though, there is no doubt that the players have grown and developed as the season has gone on. So hopefully when the crunch comes we will be ready. Right now, we don't look like we're ready to win those really important massive games that will ultimately decide our fate.

Hampshire Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Hampshire Royal » 10 Jan 2017 09:21

I think we will go up this year.

I've seen a steady improvement in the way the team plays using the current system, from AFC Wimbledon to now. We shouldn't be discouraged by the comprehensive defeats against Arsenal and United, we will struggle against these teams next season as well, and they won't be our main rivals - they will be the West Broms, Watfords and Palaces of this world. If we do go up, we will keep the players who are important to us and, for a season at least, we will keep Stam

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 10 Jan 2017 09:25

I'd love to, but I don't think we will.

LUX
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by LUX » 10 Jan 2017 09:27

no idea if we will, but of course I want us to.

If I could choose, and this is fcking petty, I'd like to go up via the play-offs, be three nil down to BHA at half-time, then pull it round with three second half goals, plus a winner in E-T. All off-side.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 10 Jan 2017 09:28

To all the people saying "No", this is my argument, we have no idea where we will finish in subsequent seasons, if theoretically you could chose whether to get promoted or not, surely promotion must be taken when it was available, look at Wigan, play-offs one season, relegation the next.

Even if we're not ready, if the opportunity is there, the club need to take it.

Of course if this is a poll to say if you think we will get promoted, I probably should have voted "No" as, despite wanting us to go up, we will probably fall short imo.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 10 Jan 2017 09:31

LUX If I could choose, and this is fcking petty, I'd like to go up via the play-offs, be three nil down to BHA at half-time, then pull it round with three second half goals, plus a winner in E-T. All off-side.

Ideally reffed by Mike Dean and he sends off 2 Brighton players for dangerous play.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 10 Jan 2017 09:34

Evans?! He's a mediocre squad player.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 10 Jan 2017 09:36

I don't think we're strong enough to sustain a push for the whole season and win the play offs, let alone automatic.

I wouldn't fear losing too many players either. We have relatively few standouts IMO, just a good group. Too early for Swift and Evans to go yet. No obvious striker.

I think failing to go up this season and improving the side further would work out better in the long run anyway.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 10 Jan 2017 09:39

John Smith

Evans?! He's a mediocre squad player.

:|

Starting to be one of the first names on the teamsheet for me.

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 10 Jan 2017 09:40

Evans looks like Sidwell when he was in his first season with us. I can see Evans continuing to develop and potentially become a club legend with us.

I'm much happier when Evans is picked in the team than Van den Berg. I think we tend to achieve better results with Evans in the side than we do with Joey in there. I don't know if the stats back that up though.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 10 Jan 2017 09:40

Ian Royal I don't think we're strong enough to sustain a push for the whole season and win the play offs, let alone automatic.

How many games before we decide whether or not what we're doing is sustainable? I'd say half a season is a decent sample size tbf :roll:

Anyway, we're definitely getting to the playoff final as we're away on a family holiday in Cornwall. We probably won't win it though, as any Reading fan kno

Do we want to get promoted? Stupidest question ever

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 10 Jan 2017 09:43

John Smith Evans?! He's a mediocre squad player.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 10 Jan 2017 09:50

Silver Fox Do we want to get promoted? Stupidest question ever

I don't think that was the question

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 10 Jan 2017 09:56

Top Flight Evans looks like Sidwell when he was in his first season with us. I can see Evans continuing to develop and potentially become a club legend with us.

I'm much happier when Evans is picked in the team than Van den Berg. I think we tend to achieve better results with Evans in the side than we do with Joey in there. I don't know if the stats back that up though.

I fully agree with that in fact I don't think Van den Berg should be anywhere near the team. To say Evans will be a club legend is laughable though.

Williams and McCleary should be the first names on the teamsheet

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 10 Jan 2017 10:01

LUX no idea if we will, but of course I want us to.

If I could choose, and this is fcking petty, I'd like to go up via the play-offs, be three nil down to BHA at half-time, then pull it round with three second half goals, plus a winner in E-T. All off-side.

Then we'd all storm onto the pitch and give the players our jackets/hats/etc so they can escape the Nazis