Attendances

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Attendances

by Sutekh » 17 Feb 2017 10:20

http://www.getreading.co.uk/sport/footb ... d-12599484

Attendances for Reading at home this season are awful given the club's league position.

Looking at the crowd present on Tuesday night I felt the stadium was ridiculously empty, even allowing for the fact it was Valentine's night.

Could understand it in the early months of the season but not now we're well into the second half and getting close to the business end of things.

Are fans still staying away because of the style of play or just because takes longer than 6 months, after the previous 30 months of utter **** at home, to get them back again?

No Fixed Abode

Re: Attendances

by No Fixed Abode » 17 Feb 2017 10:27

In the Coppell era, the stadium was still relatively new, Reading were on the up, never played in the Premier League before. The club has been in the Prem twice now, so the buzz of the higher echelons of football is somewhat watered down a little now for many fans.

I generally feel there is a huge lack of presence around the town for the club. If you're not really into your football you would never really know the football club existed if you paid a visit to the town centre.

America - as an example. Go to any major town or city where the have sports teams, even college football, there is advertising, shops adorned with replica shirts and other paraphernalia.

The Informant

by The Informant » 17 Feb 2017 10:36

The football is dull as dishwater - that's why.

It's just not good to watch even though we win the majority of home games.

We get into promising positions and instead of taking a risk by playing a through ball, quite often we will end up back on the half way line.

I will carry on going as always but I don't look forward to the games at all.

Also agree with Kes' post. Many fans have seen it all before now so until we do get up, interest will stay with the hardcore, go every season support.
Last edited by The Informant on 17 Feb 2017 10:41, edited 1 time in total.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 17 Feb 2017 10:37

On course for the lowest since 2004. Newcastle and Leeds the only major teams left in the division to come here as well, barring any play off matches.

Anyone know the season ticket drop-off this year following last? I wouldn't be surprised if there was a large one following the previous season and McDermott's sacking.

I generally feel there is a huge lack of presence around the town for the club. If you're not really into your football you would never really know the football club existed if you paid a visit to the town centre.

I've seen plenty of adverts about. Loads on the buses too.

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 17 Feb 2017 10:42

No Fixed Abode I generally feel there is a huge lack of presence around the town for the club. If you're not really into your football you would never really know the football club existed if you paid a visit to the town centre.

America - as an example. Go to any major town or city where the have sports teams, even college football, there is advertising, shops adorned with replica shirts and other paraphernalia.

Agree with this and I've said it for absolutely ages that we just don't stamp our presence on the town enough. I'd love to see some banners hanging off lamposts advertising games or players, maybe one of those big signage boards somewhere, etc...

The only thing I've seen similar to this is in the train station once where they had some flimsy banner hanging up on a railing.

Schards#2
Hob Nob Regular

by Schards#2 » 17 Feb 2017 10:49

The Informant The football is dull as dishwater - that's why.

We get into promising positions and instead of taking a risk by playing a through ball, quite often we will end up back on the half way line.

Also agree with Kes' post. Many fans have seen it all before now so until we do get up, interest will stay with the hardcore, go every season support.

I think that would have been fair comment earlier in the season but I've enjoyed most of the games in the last couple of months.

I guess it's a legacy of 2-3 absolutely dismal seasons and the drop off in season ticket sales. I took my son and a couple of friends to the Brentford game and it was £28!!! If I didn't have a season ticket, I would take a lot of convincing to spend £28 on a ticket for one off games so these people are becoming increasingly lost to us.

In fairness to the club, they seem to be trying lots of offers to help with the cost but I think it's going totake another promotion and a fresh raft of season ticket holders to get back up to the 18-20,000 averages

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 17 Feb 2017 11:10

mostly its years of depressing football and bad management/ownership choices and the realisation that if you win promotion you are basically just guaranteeing club decimation when we get relegated, even if you dont spend much money.
the change from bllood and thunder wing play to the early season passing around the back 5 didnt help either.
the ground being full of middle class picnickers who can barely raise a clap. quality of football isnt what brought most of us to the club, it was the lols and the atmosphere and singing etc theres bugger all of that any more. but thats what happens when you agressively persue the family market.
there have been loads of exciting games though, once we moved past that early season dull phase. it'll come im sure, i can see the season tickets picking up a fair bit next season, regardless of promotion.

personally its been nice not having a season ticket this year, can pick and choose my games, not go on freezing midweek matches if i cant be arsed. but i might get a ST again next year.

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 17 Feb 2017 11:31

genome

I've seen plenty of adverts about. Loads on the buses too.

I never get the bus, but generally advertising on the buses is targeted at local people who know about the club anyway. There was some advertising on the bridge in the station a while back but that has gone. The club really could do with a full time hub in the town centre instead of a pop up shop at Christmas.

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 17 Feb 2017 14:51

For me the football hasn't been great to watch but it is improving. I am no longer a season ticket holder but I still go to a fair few games.

Just think my overall love for football has waned over the last few years. I just don't like seeing the way some of the players behave these days, especially when I think of how hard most of us have to work to earn our money.

I hope that once the ownership situation is resolved and a new contract can be sorted out for JS the fans will come back. However, we could just as easily be bottom of the Championship this time next year and I think that insecurity doesn't feel some of the newer fans with much confidence.

secks

by secks » 17 Feb 2017 15:52

Schards#2
The Informant The football is dull as dishwater - that's why.

I think that would have been fair comment earlier in the season but I've enjoyed most of the games in the last couple of months.

I guess it's a legacy of 2-3 absolutely dismal seasons and the drop off in season ticket sales. I took my son and a couple of friends to the Brentford game and it was £28!!! If I didn't have a season ticket, I would take a lot of convincing to spend £28 on a ticket for one off games so these people are becoming increasingly lost to us.

In fairness to the club, they seem to be trying lots of offers to help with the cost but I think it's going totake another promotion and a fresh raft of season ticket holders to get back up to the 18-20,000 averages

£28 if you want to sit in the upper west - I went to the Barnsley game and sat in the Eamonn Dolan with my mate, and his son. £39 all in for the 3 of us.

Gunny Fishcake
Hob Nob Regular

by Gunny Fishcake » 17 Feb 2017 16:20

I think there will be always be the die hards like us who will go week in week out whatever , but after being a season ticket holder for over thirty years , though I'm not thinking of leaving, I 'cant ever remember being so disillusioned and "out of love" with football

I believe the average person is simply fed up with the gotesque obscene wages being paid to these so called professional footballers.

When a really average crap fringe player is getting paid say £10,000 a week and driving his Aston Martin or pimped up Range Rover you just despair.

The game is full of obscene greed, corruption , cheating and gives nothing back to the loyal fans .

I've loved football all my life but just look at Wales v England last week in the 6 Nations if you want to see real sport played by men who don't cheat , played until they cant walk though battered and bloodied and then clap the opposition off win or lose .

Football has lost and sold its soul, that's why IMHO the attendances are dropping.
Last edited by Gunny Fishcake on 17 Feb 2017 18:48, edited 1 time in total.

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 17 Feb 2017 17:23

Gunny Fishcake I think there will be always be the die hards like us who will go week in week out whatever , but after being a season ticket holder for over thirty years , though I'm not thinking of leaving, I 'cant ever remember being so disillusioned and "out of love" with football

I believe the average person is simply fed up with the gotesque obscene wages being played these so called professional footballers.

When a really average crap fringe player is getting paid say £10,000 a week and driving his Aston Martin or pimped up Range Rover you just despair.

The game is full of obscene greed, corruption , cheating and gives nothing back to the loyal fans .

I've loved football all my life but just look at Wales v England last week in the 6 Nations if you want to see real sport played by men who don't cheat , played until they cant walk though battered and bloodied and then clap the opposition off win or lose .

Football has lost and sold its soul, that's why IMHO the attendances are dropping.

Great post.

For me none of this applies to Reading and most of the championship.

I am however, becoming increasingly fed up with the premier league.

The disgusting behaviour of some managers and players

the media hype

the fact that big fat horrible Sam disgraces himself 60 days into the best job in football* and yet months later is welcomed back to Palace

The pay and money involved

The "glamour"

I do feel connected to RFC (although many times over past 3 years I haven't). I do feel we have our soul back to a large extent. I do feel part of the club and I hope attendances will start to grow as others feel the same way again.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 17 Feb 2017 17:51

Just to add to that a little - I don't really blame the players themselves. To be honest I'm surprised that a bunch of rich young men behave as well as they do in general.

I've also had a couple of encounters with current players at RFC and they have genuinely been a really nice bunch of lads

I blame the ridiculous hype machine that Sky/BT force feed us every week to try to justify the obscene amount of money they paid for the rights

I'm not sure that is reflected in RFCs attendances though - otherwise surely they'd be down across the board

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 17 Feb 2017 18:07

I think we should compare to clubs of equal stature. Also in towns/cities of an equal size.

Not sure where that leaves us.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 17 Feb 2017 18:20

Gunny Fishcake I think there will be always be the die hards like us who will go week in week out whatever , but after being a season ticket holder for over thirty years , though I'm not thinking of leaving, I 'cant ever remember being so disillusioned and "out of love" with football

I believe the average person is simply fed up with the gotesque obscene wages being played these so called professional footballers.

I'm considering choosing a non-league side actually and following them as well as Reading - just to get a flavour of proper down to earth football with none of the circus you get with the big leagues. It might be fun. I don't think the football would be that awful either - some decent players down there.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 17 Feb 2017 18:50

The style of play is boring and the few times we've been on TV we've been atrocious. People want a bit of excitement and despite the league position, Reading just aren't exciting.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 17 Feb 2017 18:57

They were on Tuesday :)

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 17 Feb 2017 19:14

Hound They were on Tuesday :)

And at Bristol Citeh. That was so exciting I pulled a muscle in my back from jumping up and down

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 17 Feb 2017 19:40

bobby1413

And at Bristol Citeh. That was so exciting I pulled a muscle in my back from jumping up and down

Goal rel8ed injuries thread :?: :arrow:

I nearly broke my leg when Hunt scored at West Ham in 2012

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 17 Feb 2017 19:45

genome
bobby1413

Goal rel8ed injuries thread :?: :arrow:

I nearly broke my leg when Hunt scored at West Ham in 2012

My most common football injury comes in two forms:

1) bruises (serious bruises) on the back of my calves and thighs from the seats where I'm standing and pushing against

2) Actual ab cramp from clapping and singing so passionately it hurts

I don't even try that hard when I'm roasting the broomstick with the GF