BFTG Wolves

Westwood52
Hob Nob Regular

BFTG Wolves

by Westwood52 » 04 Mar 2017 18:21

Very low quality game-but a wins a win, only two bits of real class won us the game. Although Dim reckons Kermit meant his goal ? I couldn't really tell.

Al Habsi 6 : Couple of good saves-but pressure distribution as usual and one howler(which didn't hurt us).

Gunter 6: Lower end of his usual average-never really got forward.
Blackett 3: Absolute mare
Moore 7: Did OK
McShane 7:MOM Excellent header-real quality. Then held us together for the last quarter.
Joey 5: Nearly gave them a goal-looked slow.
Swift 6: Quality free kick -but his early season form has completely deserted him.
Williams 7: TBF kept driving forward.
Roy 6: Flattered to deceive.
Kermit 5: Apart from the goal, a bit of an off day.
Popa 5: Started well-but TBF never got the ball & drifted right out.

Evans: Awful shot when well set
Meighte: God he's raw-but showed more than Popa -but TBF the game was stretched by then.
Grabham: Why didn't he shoot-some nice touches but he didn't put in much of a shift

Ref: Average
Stam: Was in the North Stand when he came over in the end-we don't really deserve him-that said still learning his craft

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

Re: BFTG Wolves

by Royal Ginger » 04 Mar 2017 18:26

Blackett was poor. You can't wear boots like that and then play that game.

Popa did a lot, very direct, running a split second before the other 21 players but had no cross.

Got frustrated by the continued ball over the top for Beerens, he didn't win it once.

Van Den Berg was good.

I'll be interested to see the highlights, from my angle I was pretty sure the goaline scramble on the 40th minute was over the line and so we're those around me.

Meite has all the tools but needs some refining.
Last edited by Royal Ginger on 04 Mar 2017 18:34, edited 2 times in total.

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 04 Mar 2017 18:26

I've had it with Blackett. He's utter shite and yet he gets game time.

If I see him in the starting lineup again, I'm going to go absolutely mental. (Well I will tut and shake my head)

Davezk

by Davezk » 04 Mar 2017 18:29

Westwood52 Stam: Was in the North Stand when he came over in the end

How is that a review of his performance? Or did something happen?

wingnut
Hob Nob Regular

by wingnut » 04 Mar 2017 18:41

Christ knows how we won that, we were garbage.
Really turgid first half from both sides, second half Wolves should've won it as they were on top for most of it.
Williams and Swift were largely anonymous for most of the game and Tyler Blacket is just not a left back. Poppa was exciting first half but disappeared a bit before he was inevitably subbed. Rest a bit meh.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 04 Mar 2017 18:44

Was Blackett that bad? Seemed ok to me but was a long way from him second half. First half he was pretty good I thought

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 04 Mar 2017 18:46

Playing the way we do. The players we currently have provide little to no cover for the fullbacks. That's why both Gunter and Blackett regularly get exposed. While it's great to play with "wingers". Sometimes it makes our midfield 3 look very light with no bite.

harry
Hob Nob Regular

by harry » 04 Mar 2017 18:58

Overall good 3 points considering, but we could have/should have won by a greater margin

Ali - 6 - one very good save, some dodgy distribution that wasn't always his fault
Gunter - 7 - actually won several 50/50s
McShane - 7- solid, good header for winner
Moore - 7 - solid
Blackett - 5 - poor in places. Would have preferred Obita instead. Could/should have been subbed.
Would need to see replay to decide who was at fault for their goal.
Joey - 6 - started well, got stuck in, but tired as game progressed and gave away possession once very badly. Lucky not to be punished
Swift - 6 - looked ok at start but seemed lost as game progressed. Would have happily seen him subbed which shows what I know. Decent delivery for the winner
Williams - 6 - ok. Not one of his better games. Always tries but little came off
Popa - 6 - looked really bright from start. Needed to see more of the ball. Looks promising.
Beerens - 6 - not one of his better games
Kermorgant - 6 - if intended, well taken goal

Meite - 6 - looked to make positive difference. Not much came off other than winning free kick for winner.
Grabban - 5 - got into a couple of nice positions then wasted the opportunity
Evans - 5 - didn't really have chance to impact the game. One poor shot.

Ref - pretty average, which isn't saying much. Not convinced Williamson should have got second yellow but I'll take it.

Best chant - "paedo, paedo" at Saville.

IceIceGylfi

by IceIceGylfi » 04 Mar 2017 18:59

Blackett was poor; everyone else did nothing particularly wrong but weren't fantastic (bar Joey, McShane and to an extent Popa) -

AAH - 7, great save after the scramble
Gunter - 5, meh
McShane - 8, commanding, good in the air and great goal
Moore - 7, solid
Blackett - 3, I agree with previous post that you can't wear flashy boots like he did and then play that oxf*rd.
Joey VDB - 8, took no prisoners and just overall very commanding; I like him at CDM a lot
Beerens - 6, not much impact but good movement off the ball, shame Blackett couldn't pass to him to save his life
Williams - 6, meh, good drive tbf
Swift - 6, ineffective but good delivery for the winner
Popa - 7 quick and showed great desire; although he needs to work on crosses though. But I must say I was impressed.
Kermorgant - 7, right place at right time for the goal, put the defenders under pressure well and as usual pretty good in the air

Meite - 6, clearly quick and showed great desire when going back - just needs a bit of work and he has the potential to be a very good player
Grabban - 4, JUST SHOOT! Although tbf Stam used him at LW for some reason which made no sense to me but I guess it didn't matter in the end :wink:
Evans - 5, meh.

Ref - 5, bit of a "center of attention" kind of ref but wasn't too terrible - was right to send off Williamson

Overall: 6.5/10, although not bad today we need to raise our game or Newcastle could destroy us

Steve_Upper_West

by Steve_Upper_West » 04 Mar 2017 19:13

Another dire performance
Another 3 points
We move on.... Hopefully !

PS Happy to eat a slice of humble pie and say Joey played well today
Last edited by Steve_Upper_West on 04 Mar 2017 19:36, edited 1 time in total.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 04 Mar 2017 19:21

To be honest I can't work the team out sometimes. We sort of play defensively with an attacking formation somehow

Our wingers always appear to be out most dangerous players but also seem to be the ones that get least of the ball, and never seem to have enough in the area to aim at when they do get free. Yann is a superb defensive header of the ball yet has scored is it one with his head all season?

The midfield are all nice ball players but we seem to very rarely have good possession in the opposition half

The defence manages to look solid yet always able to drop a clanger at the same time

We look terrible from set pieces all game despite having on paper some good headerers of the ball to aim at, yet score today with a perfect yet incredibly simple set piece on the one time we get it right

Still as long as we are picking up 3 points doesn't matter I suppose

Jack Celliers
Hob Nob Regular

by Jack Celliers » 04 Mar 2017 19:26

Poor performance but an excellent three points. Gunter was probably man of the match and I liked Meite at the end. The other defenders need a tadge more composure on the ball: a turn into space would have released our attackers many times but they just passed back to Al Habsi. We'll be ok v Newcastle.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 04 Mar 2017 19:29

If we play like that against Newcastle expect a heavy defeat.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 04 Mar 2017 19:39

CountryRoyal If we play like that against Newcastle expect a heavy defeat.

The only thing I would say is Newcastle won't play like Wolves did, they played very deep and we struggled to get through them, Newcastle will be full of confidence following 2 away wins against they're biggest rivals for automatic promotion, hopefully the way they approach the game will suit ourselves a bit better but perhaps I'm being hopeful.

marlowuk

by marlowuk » 04 Mar 2017 19:54

We desperately needed to get three points today and we, probably undeservedly, got them.

The Sky Sports Highlights devoted 7 seconds to action in the first half and that probably tells you all you need to know about it. Except that Popa started brightly and was constantly trying to make runs which his team-mates didn't spot.

I'm still not 100% convinced that Kermie intentionally diverted the Williams shot into the Wolves net but the highlights suggest he did so fair play to him. Their equaliser (within 2 minutes) was well-worked but one of Gunter or McShane should have picked up Marshall's run. McShane, who had a good game otherwise, was ball-watching but I do't know what Gunter's excuse is.

Thereafter, it was all Wolves and we were really 'on the ropes'. AAH made at least 2 great saves to keep us in it before McShane nodded in Swift's excellent delivery from a free kick. To be honest, that was about all Swift did all match. I don't know what has happened to him since his return from injury but he is no longer the great mid-field general he used to be. As soon as he has the ball he seems to be looking to offload it to someone else rather than trying to make things happen.

Williamson's sending off was unjust. Instead of chasing after the cleared ball, Kermie decided to lean into Williamson and then throw himself to the floor! I was at the right angle to see it and all around me agreed. The referee wasn't at the right angle but I would have thought the assistant ref on our side should have seen it for what it was. I don't like to see that behaviour even if others do similar things.

I don't think the sending off had any influence on the game though. We had assumed some sort of control by that time. And at least the second half was more exciting even if it lacked quality. Wolves looked far better than their league position suggested but that has been the opinion for some weeks now.

God help us on Tuesday!!

paddy20
Hob Nob Regular

by paddy20 » 04 Mar 2017 20:13

Lower West Playing the way we do. The players we currently have provide little to no cover for the fullbacks. That's why both Gunter and Blackett regularly get exposed. While it's great to play with "wingers". Sometimes it makes our midfield 3 look very light with no bite.

Excellent point. We seem to play out of defence so slowly with 5/6 players behind the ball but when it counts our defence is all one on ones!

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 04 Mar 2017 20:20

Thought the sending off was a little harsh at the time, but on the highlights it's very clearly a yellow imo. Basically took Yann out with his arm

Vicky Pollard

by Vicky Pollard » 04 Mar 2017 20:33

marlowuk We desperately needed to get three points today and we, probably undeservedly, got them.

The Sky Sports Highlights devoted 7 seconds to action in the first half and that probably tells you all you need to know about it. Except that Popa started brightly and was constantly trying to make runs which his team-mates didn't spot.

I'm still not 100% convinced that Kermie intentionally diverted the Williams shot into the Wolves net but the highlights suggest he did so fair play to him. Their equaliser (within 2 minutes) was well-worked but one of Gunter or McShane should have picked up Marshall's run. McShane, who had a good game otherwise, was ball-watching but I do't know what Gunter's excuse is.

Thereafter, it was all Wolves and we were really 'on the ropes'. AAH made at least 2 great saves to keep us in it before McShane nodded in Swift's excellent delivery from a free kick. To be honest, that was about all Swift did all match. I don't know what has happened to him since his return from injury but he is no longer the great mid-field general he used to be. As soon as he has the ball he seems to be looking to offload it to someone else rather than trying to make things happen.

Williamson's sending off was unjust. Instead of chasing after the cleared ball, Kermie decided to lean into Williamson and then throw himself to the floor! I was at the right angle to see it and all around me agreed. The referee wasn't at the right angle but I would have thought the assistant ref on our side should have seen it for what it was. I don't like to see that behaviour even if others do similar things.

I don't think the sending off had any influence on the game though. We had assumed some sort of control by that time. And at least the second half was more exciting even if it lacked quality. Wolves looked far better than their league position suggested but that has been the opinion for some weeks now.

God help us on Tuesday!!

Generally agree apart from the sending off. Kermogant knocked it one side of Williamson, looked to run round the other and was pretty clearly blocked off. Stone wall 2nd yellow for me.

Overall a fortunate win tbh, especially given the Wolves goal not given at end of the first- looked over the line to me. Thought we were absolutely crying out for Kelly to inject some energy into a pretty dire game.

Blackett once again a liability. How many times did Wolves get in behind our left side in the second half?

Gunny Fishcake
Hob Nob Regular

by Gunny Fishcake » 04 Mar 2017 21:24

We won due to the fact Wolves were so sh*te .......we were one tiny notch above sh*te that being the fact we got three points. The clock is clearly ticking......Jaap Stam is a wonderful manager, top player, won it all blah blah.....but.....his style of football is so bloody dull and boring you can keep it. Many critisise from afar, but those who pay week in week out be it season ticket holders or paying on the gate go to be entertained and have the thrill of being a excited watching our team play and hopefully win. That excitement takes place in the opponents half and when you have a chance at scoring a goal. Playing deep in our own half constantly passing across the back four and enabling our goalkeeper to be our biggest passer of the ball is not entertaining.....it's bollox .
Last edited by Gunny Fishcake on 05 Mar 2017 08:41, edited 1 time in total.

Whore Jackie
Hob Nob Regular

by Whore Jackie » 04 Mar 2017 21:26

Blackett is either very good or very poor. It was the latter today. Don't understand why Obita doesn't get a look in, I thought Gunter had his best game in ages, actually won several 50:50s. Having McShane back makes all the difference. Both him and Moore were good.

Midfield looks really poor and imbalanced at the moment. Swift is a shadow of the early season one, unless Williams is in the mood to the drive with the ball and the team on then he's not worth a place. Frustrates the fcuk out of me. Both wide men were really ineffective, bar Popa's early stuff, and as others have noted they offer no support to the full-backs. Yann put a shift in and I didn't think the subs did an awful lot. Missed Kelly's probing today, all in all Wolves can count themselves very unlucky not to have taken a point.