BFTG Newcastle (H)

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

BFTG Newcastle (H)

by Royal Ginger » 07 Mar 2017 22:02

That was an enjoyable 0-0 despite the lack of clear chances either way.

2nd half atmosphere was pretty good, fair play to the day trippers swelling numbers over the 23,000 mark.

Toe to toe with them, a draw was fair, would have bitten your arm off for a draw at the start and am glad we got it.

McCleary is clearly injured and shouldn't be playing.

I'm a Gunter fan but his complete inability to move the ball forward was getting annoying.

McShane MOTM again.

Everyone else pretty good, not sure what Mutch brings to the team or why Grabban is on the wing.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: BFTG Newcastle (H)

by Ian Royal » 07 Mar 2017 22:05

Royal Ginger That was an enjoyable 0-0 despite the lack of clear chances either way.

2nd half atmosphere was pretty good, fair play to the day trippers swelling numbers over the 23,000 mark.

Toe to toe with them, a draw was fair, would have bitten your arm off for a draw at the start and am glad we got it.

I'm a Gunter fan but his complete inability to move the ball forward was getting annoying.

McShane MOTM again.

Dim and Mick were singing the praises of Berg... how did he get on?

Did Newcastle really sing about taking the record, or did Dim & Mick mistake Reading's song for coming from the Toon?

How close were we at the end to nicking it?

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 07 Mar 2017 22:10

Thought McCleary was class second half, and so very nearly won it with the last kick of the game. JVDB man of the match. Gunts had so much space all the time, shame he's so scared on the ball. Blackett had a good game after a shaky start.

Grabban seemed pretty disinterested and still not sure what Mutch offers.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 07 Mar 2017 22:11

Ian Royal
Royal Ginger That was an enjoyable 0-0 despite the lack of clear chances either way.

McShane MOTM again.

Did Newcastle really sing about taking the record, or did Dim & Mick mistake Reading's song for coming from the Toon?

I thought we hit the bar with the last kick of the game, but starting to think I imagined it.

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 07 Mar 2017 22:15

Yeah, VDB was excellent. I didn't hear Newcastle sing about taking the record, but our lot certainly sang about having it. The Toon were good value, not a bad bunch, I don't begrudge them the league.

Ref had a very good game.

Oilroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by Oilroyal » 07 Mar 2017 22:18

Ian Royal

McShane MOTM again.

Mim and Tick always get it wrong

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 07 Mar 2017 22:52

Enjoyable 0-0, but for me it was clear Newcastle were happy to go home with a point. same tactics as Saturday for them. sit off us and try to hit on the break.
Bit of luck when they hit the post in the first half. but for me we looked genuine play-off contenders tonight, but oh for a cutting edge.
AHH few good save in the first half, but largely untroubled in the 2nd half 7
Gunter, good defensively but offered little going forward. 6
McShane. a tower of strength, faultless. 10
Moore. won everything . 8
Blacket, won me over tonight , played well. 7
Joey. biting into tackles, didn`t let them settle. 7
Mutch. a loan player, no better than we already have. 6
Kelly, not at his best, final ball poor, rightly subbed at H/T, 5
Grabben. missed a gilt edged chance in the first minute, couldn`t trap a bag of cement. 4
Kermy. isolated but but in a good shift as usual. 7
McCleary. switched ro the left wing, gave his man plenty of problems. 7

Subs.
Williams. drew a fine save from their keeper, kept driving forward. 7
Obita. Good. 7

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 07 Mar 2017 23:01

Just got back. A deserved point.

Good: McShane, Williams, Van Den Berg, Obita

Poor: Kelly, Grabban

More analysis tomorrow, I'm beat.

jd82
Hob Nob Addict

by jd82 » 07 Mar 2017 23:12

You lot were watching a different game to me. Utter dross in the first half. Improved a bit in the second, mainly thanks to GMac stepping up.

Kelly had one of the worst halves of football I've ever seen, culminating in kicking a corner straight out for a goal kick.

jd82
Hob Nob Addict

by jd82 » 07 Mar 2017 23:14

windermereROYAL Enjoyable 0-0, but for me it was clear Newcastle were happy to go home with a point. same tactics as Saturday for them. sit off us and try to hit on the break.
Bit of luck when they hit the post in the first half. but for me we looked genuine play-off contenders tonight, but oh for a cutting edge.
AHH few good save in the first half, but largely untroubled in the 2nd half 7
Gunter, good defensively but offered little going forward. 6
McShane. a tower of strength, faultless. 10
Moore. won everything . 8
Blacket, won me over tonight , played well. 7
Joey. biting into tackles, didn`t let them settle. 7
Mutch. a loan player, no better than we already have. 6
Kelly, not at his best, final ball poor, rightly subbed at H/T, 5
Grabben. missed a gilt edged chance in the first minute, couldn`t trap a bag of cement. 4
Kermy. isolated but but in a good shift as usual. 7
McCleary. switched ro the left wing, gave his man plenty of problems. 7

Subs.
Williams. drew a fine save from their keeper, kept driving forward. 7
Obita. Good. 7

:shock:
You are easily pleased.

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 07 Mar 2017 23:18

Joey was great tonight. Just what we needed, and I do think he looks better when Macca is in the team. Between them for MOTM. We didn't miss Moore after he hobbled off and can see us going back to the 3 centre backs on Saturday with Joey in there with Macca and Blackett.

Kelly was truly dire tonight. Seemed to be trying too hard and no composure in the ball.

I watched Mutch quite closely tonight. I thought that was the best I've seen him play. He had good movement and showed for the ball a lot. Decent touch and read the game well when others were moving out of position, especially Gunte and Grabban.

Didn't get Grabban on the wing though.

Ref was the best we had all season. Let the game run and didn't fall for Goufrran's theatrics. Well done!

St Pauli
Hob Nob Legend

by St Pauli » 07 Mar 2017 23:19

My first home game since last season.

A great footballing experience.

Excellent support from both fans, exciting game, lovely bus back to the nags, (thanks RBC) and great bunch of geordie fans in the pub after the game. 9/10 for the fan experience, could only have been improved with that last crossbar going in.

Great work from all involved.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 07 Mar 2017 23:29

jd82 You lot were watching a different game to me. Utter dross in the first half. Improved a bit in the second, mainly thanks to GMac stepping up.

Kelly had one of the worst halves of football I've ever seen, culminating in kicking a corner straight out for a goal kick.

Very harsh. We were okay, nowhere near utter dross. Improved much more than "a bit" in the second and domin8ed - actually a lot to do with Williams and Obita more than G-Mac I thought, who only really threatened in the last 10 minutes.

Kelly had a right shocker, though.
Last edited by genome on 07 Mar 2017 23:30, edited 1 time in total.

harry
Hob Nob Regular

by harry » 07 Mar 2017 23:30

Cracking 0-0. Really good atmosphere. Thought we played really well against a very good side at this level. Game could have gone either way as both teams had chances. I liked the switch to 5-2-3 after approx 20 mins. Thought we lost momentum just after half-time with Moore having to go off. Pleased with the clean sheet in spite of that. Just a shame GMac's shot didn't nick it at the end. I'd have taken a point before kick off.

Ali - 8 some good saves. One cross he mis-punched when could have caught
Gunter - 6. Could have used the ball better
McShane - 9. Immense at back
Moore - 8. We'll miss him
Blackett - 7. So much better as LCB rather than LB or LWB. One cracking cross-field ball, some good tackles, couple of poor passes
Joey - 9. Some good tackles & a couple of interceptions. Good distribution.
Kelly - 6 not one of his better games
Mutch - 6. Always looking to give an option. Unfortunately when he got the ball he didn't always use it well. Too much dinking it forward.
Grabban - 6. Should have scored in the first minute. Had moments when he looked bright but it was moments rather than significant amounts of play
McCleary - 9. Looked our main threat. Often double-teamed when he got the ball. Still managed to have two decent shots deflected just wide and hit the bar at the end (if only.....)

Williams - 7. Ran hard. Lovely back heal at the end to set up GMac for the last gasp almost moment
Obita - 7. Gave options and pace down the wing.

Ref - Mostly OK but favoured them too much

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 07 Mar 2017 23:33

Van den Berg was man of the match for me. But good battling performance all round.

It's good to see that we can mix it with the leagues best. It bodes well for the play offs. At least now I have some confidence that we might just be able to do something in those crunch games in May.

Well done Stam. It was a strong performance.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 07 Mar 2017 23:33

jd82 You lot were watching a different game to me. Utter dross in the first half. Improved a bit in the second, mainly thanks to GMac stepping up.

Think you're going to be in the minority here.

Throughly professional performance from Reading. Rarely troubled, standard saves from Ali in the first half. I honestly thought Newcastle would come at us and fully go for the win but they sat back off us quite a bit and from about 60 minutes onwards, I don't really remember them having a meaningful attack.

Thought everyone played their part tonight. Kelly had a poor game when the ball was at his feet but hassled and harried Shelvey when he was on the ball.

All in all, very happy with a 0-0 and thought we looked good for it as well.

Pepe the Horseman I thought we hit the bar with the last kick of the game, but starting to think I imagined it.

Nah, we did, if that had gone in, I think the place would've exploded.

RG30
Hob Nob Addict

by RG30 » 07 Mar 2017 23:38

Seen some excellent matches this year (Brentford, Fulham, Huddersfield) and not so excellent (QPR) and that was definitely in the not so excellent. Whilst respecting the fact Newcastle are league leaders with the best away record in the division, it was all too slow and predictable on ball retention without a willingness to be brave and to have a goal.

The pitch doesn't help but hardly the match to entice the missing thousands back to the stadium.

Gunny Fishcake
Hob Nob Regular

by Gunny Fishcake » 07 Mar 2017 23:42

Well played Reading, that was much better than Saturday and a bloody good effort against the best team in the division. JVDB was immense and worthy MOM, with McShane close behind. Nearly Every Reading player put a full shift in which is all we can ask.....the exceptions were Mutch who did nothing the entire game and appears a complete waste of time , with Grabban not much better. However good result and cracking atmosphere.

Gunny Fishcake
Hob Nob Regular

by Gunny Fishcake » 07 Mar 2017 23:48

3points
I watched Mutch quite closely tonight. I thought that was the best I've seen him play. He had good movement and showed for the ball a lot.

That is a wind up I presume ?

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 07 Mar 2017 23:49

I don't want Mutch anywhere near the first team ever again, an absolute waste of space, Grabban isn't mutch better.

Cagey performance where defences came out on top, Newcastle edged it and had the best chances but a draw was a fair and unexpected result.

Highlight of the day was my 4g not working before the game to save me from putting on a hefty judas bet.