BFTG - Wednesday (A)

Warfield ED Stand

Re: BFTG - Wednesday (A)

by Warfield ED Stand » 20 Mar 2017 11:38

Absolute cracking away day/night. Thought we were superb 1st half and battled for our lives 2nd, especially the last 10 minutes.

All the Wednesday fans I met after thought we played well and "Did a job". Most agreed that any timewasting would of been the same the other way round.
Ended up in some City Centre pub called Maggie Maes which was like going back in time!! Full of 40/50 year old women dressed like they were 18. Quality obviously :D

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 20 Mar 2017 18:07

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 20 Mar 2017 18:30

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 20 Mar 2017 18:55

No Fixed Abode

No Fixed Abode Sheff Wed 5 Reading 0

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 20 Mar 2017 19:00

genome
No Fixed Abode

No Fixed Abode Sheff Wed 5 Reading 0

I am sure the football league will change the result to 5-0 based on our away attendance.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 20 Mar 2017 19:08

To be honest, the constant criticism kind of confuses me. Traditionally, we are a small club with a small fanbase and Reading fans accept that. It's only because we're up there fighting with the bigger clubs that our attendances get highlighted at all.

And frankly, grown men arguing about attendances is kind of hilarious

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 20 Mar 2017 19:30

That being said even by our own standards our support this season has been pretty poor considering our position, both in numbers and vocality. Though I suspect a lot of that is due to the playing style and the fact there is a bit of a knock on effect from the last few seasons of dross.

Suspect next season's numbers will go up significantly.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 20 Mar 2017 20:53

Having watched it 5 or 6 times, I still can't understand how that one across the face of the goal from Wednesday didn't go it. Excruciatingly close. A handful of inches pulled further back and it'd get tapped in, a handful of inches further forward and it'd probably go in off the post.

Popa's goal reminds me of Convey's Millwall breakaway, the way he just nips his toe in before the defender and goes round the lunge the other way. Comedy attempt at a sly rugby tackle straight in front of the ref was quite funny too.

Solid, if at times somewhat desperate, defending from us. And a really important confidence boosting away win against a rival, with a clean sheet.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 20 Mar 2017 21:38

CountryRoyal That being said even by our own standards our support this season has been pretty poor considering our position, both in numbers and vocality. Though I suspect a lot of that is due to the playing style and the fact there is a bit of a knock on effect from the last few seasons of dross.

Have to disagree,
Based on my observations our away support has been immense, and easily outsung the opposition every time.
Not sure the games I've been to actually provide an accurate sample though....

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 20 Mar 2017 21:39

Nameless
CountryRoyal That being said even by our own standards our support this season has been pretty poor considering our position, both in numbers and vocality. Though I suspect a lot of that is due to the playing style and the fact there is a bit of a knock on effect from the last few seasons of dross.

Have to disagree,
Based on my observations our away support has been immense, and easily outsung the opposition every time.
Not sure the games I've been to actually provide an accurate sample though....

:?

Royal With Cheese
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal With Cheese » 21 Mar 2017 00:18

CountryRoyal

Majestic.

Class.

Didn't ben do one in the away end against Nottingham Forest a few years ago? That really gave me goosebumps!

royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

by royalp-we » 21 Mar 2017 07:15

Though I do agree about the style of play and the last few seasons having an effect on away attendance, I think a getting a round or two further in the cups would have helped - and heavy defeats at the likes of Newcastle, Fulham and Brentford really hasn't helped either.

I've no doubt the last 4 games will see an increase with them all being actual weekend kick offs too.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 21 Mar 2017 09:27

royalp-we

Though I do agree about the style of play and the last few seasons having an effect on away attendance, I think a getting a round or two further in the cups would have helped - and heavy defeats at the likes of Newcastle, Fulham and Brentford really hasn't helped either.

I've no doubt the last 4 games will see an increase with them all being actual weekend kick offs too.

Also remember we lost two teams we took 2,500+ last season (Charlton and MK Dons) and they were replaced with Northern clubs. 977 was our average last season up 33% from the previous, no idea what we're on course for this season although if someone has a programme to hand they could work it out.

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 21 Mar 2017 12:02

genome To be honest, the constant criticism kind of confuses me. Traditionally, we are a small club with a small fanbase and Reading fans accept that. It's only because we're up there fighting with the bigger clubs that our attendances get highlighted at all.

Who's arguing about attendances?

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 21 Mar 2017 12:25

No Fixed Abode
genome To be honest, the constant criticism kind of confuses me. Traditionally, we are a small club with a small fanbase and Reading fans accept that. It's only because we're up there fighting with the bigger clubs that our attendances get highlighted at all.

Not on here. A Newcastle fan posted that picture on Twitter and spent a full day arguing with people about it

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 21 Mar 2017 13:29

Warfield ED Stand Absolute cracking away day/night. Thought we were superb 1st half and battled for our lives 2nd, especially the last 10 minutes.

All the Wednesday fans I met after thought we played well and "Did a job". Most agreed that any timewasting would of been the same the other way round.
Ended up in some City Centre pub called Maggie Maes which was like going back in time!! Full of 40/50 year old women dressed like they were 18. Quality obviously :D

In my experience this is typical of a night out in Sheffield
Extremely short skirts and low cut tops, as far as the eye can see!

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 21 Mar 2017 14:09

genome
No Fixed Abode

Not on here. A Newcastle fan posted that picture on Twitter and spent a full day arguing with people about it

Yeah I think I was that first to bite back against his mocking of our support and it seemed to snowball.

The Royal Forester
Hob Nob Regular

by The Royal Forester » 21 Mar 2017 14:54

Why are so many people concerned with our away attendances? Our club has been short of fans most of our league life. I remember when in the lower divisions we took less than a coachfull to away games. On more than one occasion it was less than a carfull. Workington on a wet Friday night when only five fans, four in one car and one making his own way, (they were only small cars in those days) made the trip, springs to mind. Even though the game was postponed because of a waterlogged pitch, the day wasn't a waste of time as in those days the players knew most of the away supporters and had a laugh and joke with them. At that Workington game Dennis "Daisy" Allen and the other players invited us into the players lounge and we spent a terrific evening chatting to our heros. before returning to our hotel late that evening. The Manager, Roy Bentley, if I remember correctly, thanked us all personally. Can't see any of that happening these days. So, having little away support does have it's advantages.

royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

by royalp-we » 21 Mar 2017 18:50

The Royal Forester Why are so many people concerned with our away attendances? Our club has been short of fans most of our league life. I remember when in the lower divisions we took less than a coachfull to away games. On more than one occasion it was less than a carfull. Workington on a wet Friday night when only five fans, four in one car and one making his own way, (they were only small cars in those days) made the trip, springs to mind. Even though the game was postponed because of a waterlogged pitch, the day wasn't a waste of time as in those days the players knew most of the away supporters and had a laugh and joke with them. At that Workington game Dennis "Daisy" Allen and the other players invited us into the players lounge and we spent a terrific evening chatting to our heros. before returning to our hotel late that evening. The Manager, Roy Bentley, if I remember correctly, thanked us all personally. Can't see any of that happening these days. So, having little away support does have it's advantages.

Fully appreciate that and thank you for sharing forester, some truly great memories there.

I don't think fans are concerned, it's just we are now standing as one of the top 25 clubs in the country; and opposition fans have a dig weekly and it gives us something to analyse now we are alongside some of the historically 'bigger' clubs.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 21 Mar 2017 20:12

It's a fair point on the geography of the teams in the division. 15 of the teams are Birmingham or more northern and you have Ipswich and Norwich which are miles away

Inevitably a number of these away games have been away in midweek and the logistics of getting there and back obv affect the number who can make it

The away attendances at the London clubs were good, as I think they were at the westerly teams

There are also probably few people born in Reading who have moved to the north, so pretty much all the fans are travelling a long distance to get to the games