Huddersfield fan on train from Maidenhead

BerksTerrier

Huddersfield fan on train from Maidenhead

by BerksTerrier » 19 May 2017 13:12

Hello Reading fans

I'm a Huddersfield fan who has recently moved to Maidenhead from that there London. Thrilled for both our teams to have made it to Wembley, but it does leave me with a slight travel issue! I was wondering if I could pick your brains about your recent experiences of train travel into London for your previous Wembley visits, specifically:

a) Am I being naive in thinking I'll simply be able to walk down to Maidenhead train station at say, 10am, and actually be able to fit on a London bound train without it being absolutely rammed?; and

b) What kind of reaction might I reasonably expect from those on-board if I rock up in my Town shirt? I'd love to think that there might be a handshake or two and a bit of pre-match banter, but not sure I could hand-on-heart say that that would be the experience of a Reading fan if they were travelling to the game from Huddersfield.

Thanks in advance for your help, and see you all at Wembley.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Huddersfield fan on train from Maidenhead

by Forbury Lion » 19 May 2017 13:59

a) There should be plenty of seats, particularly as most of us from Reading will be getting the Reading to Paddington fast trains that won't stop at Maidenhead. There are trains from Maidenhead that stop only at Slough before heading on to Paddington, so check arrival times as well as departure as waiting a few minutes for the next one may get you to Paddington quicker.

b) Shouldn't be any trouble, at least not from anyone wearing a football shirt. If you win you might want to tone down the singing and partying on the journey back though!

c) Why Maidenhead????

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 19 May 2017 14:10

You'll be fine.
We're not Fulham you know !

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 19 May 2017 14:14

BerksTerrier Hello Reading fans

I'm a Huddersfield fan who has recently moved to Maidenhead from that there London. Thrilled for both our teams to have made it to Wembley, but it does leave me with a slight travel issue! I was wondering if I could pick your brains about your recent experiences of train travel into London for your previous Wembley visits, specifically:

a) Am I being naive in thinking I'll simply be able to walk down to Maidenhead train station at say, 10am, and actually be able to fit on a London bound train without it being absolutely rammed?; and

b) What kind of reaction might I reasonably expect from those on-board if I rock up in my Town shirt? I'd love to think that there might be a handshake or two and a bit of pre-match banter, but not sure I could hand-on-heart say that that would be the experience of a Reading fan if they were travelling to the game from Huddersfield.

You'll be grand. Your other option would be to go from Wycombe, direct to Wembley.

edinburghroyal

by edinburghroyal » 19 May 2017 14:30

You will be in a lot of trouble. Maidenhead is the town where the Scorpions (hardcore Reading FC hooligans firm) HQ is located, just outside PizzaGoGo on King Street. They will most likely patrol outside Maidenhead train station on the day, trying to catch some Huddersfield fans and take their Wembley pocket money.

So my advice would be to stay home and lock all doors and windows!

LUX
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by LUX » 19 May 2017 15:35

Pepe the Horseman

You'll be grand. Your other option would be to go from Wycombe, direct to Wembley.

sounds like a tarp, BerksTerrier.

The Informant

by The Informant » 19 May 2017 15:38

Nameless You'll be fine.
We're not Fulham you know !

Well done samaritan.

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 19 May 2017 17:03

When we went a couple years back from Reading they made us queue up in a special "football" queue for trains. We simply said we were going to London for work and they pointed us to an empty platform, it was the slow train that stopped at Maidenhead BUT didn't have any fans (from Reading) on it - they were putting all those on the direct fast train.

So in short - you should be fine

BerksTerrier

by BerksTerrier » 19 May 2017 17:13

Thanks all for the replies. Will travel without fear of a) having to stand up on the train and b) getting my ears boxed.

I'll keep my eyes open for any Scorpions - think I saw a few drinking outside Wetherspoons in the town centre once, and maybe a couple more ordering jacket potatoes in the restaurant at Wyevale Garden Centre up at Hare Hatch last week.

Had a soft spot for Reading since we beat you 2-0 (I think) in 1998 during your last season at Elm Park when Pardew was in charge, maybe as caretaker initially. That result helped us achieve the great escape but assume also played a big part in sending you down. You also hammered us 3-0 on opening day a number of years previous to that, and I could be wrong but think you went up as champions in the end.

Can't really say best of luck, but in a battle of two very evenly matched teams, I'm sure the best side on the day will take home the spoils.

Thanks again.

Stanley

by Stanley » 19 May 2017 17:15

I'm not really sure. Avoid the hooligan "top boy" Ian Royal and the KS3 and you should be fine.

If I see you on the train me and the rest of the "Carey Baptist posse" as we like to call ourselves! Will come over and say hello. We might have a flask of tea on the go so I'll pack a spare cup. (Roger will be on the Bells but then he does have his "issues")

6ft Kerplunk
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by 6ft Kerplunk » 19 May 2017 17:28

BerksTerrier but not sure I could hand-on-heart say that that would be the experience of a Reading fan if they were travelling to the game from Huddersfield.

:shock: :shock: Thankfully I've been deep undercover up here for long enough to probably pass for a local so long as I don't open my mouth but this isn't exactly making me look forward to my train journey down from Leeds.

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 19 May 2017 17:46

BerksTerrier b) What kind of reaction might I reasonably expect from those on-board if I rock up in my Town shirt? I'd love to think that there might be a handshake or two and a bit of pre-match banter, but not sure I could hand-on-heart say that that would be the experience of a Reading fan if they were travelling to the game from Huddersfield..

I remember being on the train from Huddersfield after beating your lot 2-0 in 1987/88, when you were having a truly woeful season (and we weren't much better).

About as angry as any Huddersfield fan got was one lad who announced "we're going to rip up t'pitch and plant tatties next season"

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 19 May 2017 17:50

tmesis
BerksTerrier b) What kind of reaction might I reasonably expect from those on-board if I rock up in my Town shirt? I'd love to think that there might be a handshake or two and a bit of pre-match banter, but not sure I could hand-on-heart say that that would be the experience of a Reading fan if they were travelling to the game from Huddersfield..

About as angry as any Huddersfield fan got was one lad who announced "we're going to rip up t'pitch and plant tatties next season"

About as northern a comment as is possible to make. Not sure what the equivalent may be here - Olive trees maybe.

Unlikely you'll even see more than a couple of Reading fans on that train, and if they are from Maidenhead they would be even less threatening than those coming from Reading

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 19 May 2017 18:42

BerksTerrier Had a soft spot for Reading since we beat you 2-0 (I think) in 1998 during your last season at Elm Park when Pardew was in charge, maybe as caretaker initially.
He was manager for 7 days 18 March 1998 to 25 March 1998 before being replaced with Tommy Burns, he then replaced Burns 16 September 1999 to 9 September 2003..... in hindsight, we should have appointed him instead of Burns.

BerksTerrier

by BerksTerrier » 19 May 2017 19:25

6ft Kerplunk Thankfully I've been deep undercover up here for long enough to probably pass for a local so long as I don't open my mouth but this isn't exactly making me look forward to my train journey down from Leeds.

You'll be absolutely fine mate. My initial comment was probably unfair, as the vast, vast majority of Town fans are really decent folk, especially when compared to the numbers of neanderthals that seem to follow Leeds and Wednesday for instance. There seems to be a lot of mutual respect between fans of our two clubs and am sure you'll find your fare share of banter on the train.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 19 May 2017 23:41

Ive sat in the home end at the John Smith's in a Reading top for a Huddersfield - Reading game and not had any trouble (Town used to flog tickets for their less attractive home games for a fiver on Groupon). A bit of banter, which was to a be expected but they're generally a decent bunch as long as you're not Leeds. It goes with the territory. Huddersfield is the most civilised town in West Yorkshire.

2 decent, unpretentious clubs with progressive managers IMO who've defied the odds and quietly got on with the job of getting to the final.

Jackson Corner
Hob Nob Regular

by Jackson Corner » 20 May 2017 03:34

Save your money and go to the Honeypot instead. The only cup the terriers will get there hands on will be a furry one............... :D

Jackson Corner
Hob Nob Regular

by Jackson Corner » 20 May 2017 03:34

Save your money and go to the Honeypot instead. The only cup the terriers will get there hands on will be a furry one............... :D

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 20 May 2017 07:43

You don't know him, but he knows you. Now Huddersfield fan on a train has a chance to become part of the lives he's only watched from afar.

And then he sees something shocking and in one moment everything changes. A Frenchman aged about 35 with jet black hair scores in injury time and 38,000 Reading fans erupt in joy.

Their lives, as he sees it, are perfect. If only Huddersfield fan on a train could be that happy.

Bob Smith

by Bob Smith » 20 May 2017 07:53

I'll be riding from Twyford and can promise you a right good shoeing

Skorpians!