Now starts the re-build

royalsmudge

Re: Now starts the re-build

by royalsmudge » 01 Jun 2017 10:23

Think we have a surfeit of wide players.
McLeary, Beerens, Popa, Harriott, Stacey, Fosu, then wide forwards like Mendes & Meite
Would shift at least two of them permanently, maybe another 1-2 on loan.
As replacements, you're looking at other first choice or backup LB, then a younger than Yann CF and an older than Evans CM (someone dynamic like Williams who I would imagine we'll lose).

Otherwise, I don't think we need a huge amount, would look more at trimming the wage bill further by releasing/selling some of the older squad players

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 01 Jun 2017 12:23

As it stands our squad and contracts is as follows (some positions are arbitrary, but anyway):

Goalkeepers
2017/2018 - Jaakkola, Bond, Ward
2018/2019 - Al-Habsi
Unknown - Legg, Southwood

Full backs
2017/2018 - Gunter, Obita, Watson
Unknown - Richards, Howe, Medford-Smith

Centre Backs
2017/2018 - McShane, Cooper Keown
2018/2019 - Blackett
2019/2020 - Moore, Ilori
Unknown - Dickie, Andresson, Jules, Osho, McIntyre

Central Midfielders
2017/2018 - van den Berg, Quinn
2018/2019 - Evans, Kelly, Swift, Gravenberch, Wieser
Unknown - Barrett, Rinomhota, East, Holsgrove
Expired - Williams

Wingers
2017/2018 - Hurtado
2018/2019 - Beerens, Meite, Harriott, Stacey
2019/2020 - McCleary, Popa
Unknown - Sheppard
Expired - Fosu

Strikers
2017/2018 - Kermorgant, Mendes, Samuel, Rakels
Unknown - Loader, Novakovich, Smith, Frost, Davis

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 01 Jun 2017 14:30

So this close season I think we should be negotiating with the following over extending their contracts and not waiting to the last minute

Gunter
Obita
Watson
McShane
Williams

Of the others already expired, or due to expire next season, I'm not overly bothered about but that may change as the season unravels.

The Royal Forester
Hob Nob Regular

by The Royal Forester » 01 Jun 2017 14:38

LWJ New keeper please!!!

Fedders? Would you have him back? His time at the Cherries must surely be all but up now, he has played so few games and I think Bournemouth have signed another 'keeper. I am normally a "never go back" thinker, but I am undecided about Adam as I think he would suit our style of play. But having played so few games for two seasons would he still be in the same class or has his confidence shattered him? Or, would you say "you went of your own freewill, so stay away"?

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 01 Jun 2017 15:14

Sutekh So this close season I think we should be negotiating with the following over extending their contracts and not waiting to the last minute

Gunter
Obita
Watson
McShane
Williams

Of the others already expired, or due to expire next season, I'm not overly bothered about but that may change as the season unravels.

Obita and Watson for me. Pull out the stops to keep Williams if PL offers are rubbish and he looks to be staying in our league.

Gunter is marmite here, he's not a bad player but in the same way as Norwood is he part of the problem in a continual evolution. The strengths that he has (athleticism/fitness) are mitigated by how often is he beaten by the first man/scared to put a tackle in/backs off and lets them cut in rather than pushing to the byline/doesn't push forward much/passing of a lower quality than rest of defence. Would we be best to let him go in a year if not this summer?

Depends if a quality upgrade is available now.

McShane - given the emergence of Ilori you'd have to expect that next season Ilori and Moore will be first choice, maybe Ilori, Moore, Blackett if playing a five. Whilst McShane will be a great asset in the squad next season and no doubt put a shift in he'll be closer to 33 than 32 come end of the contract. Time to move on?

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 01 Jun 2017 15:29

maffff As it stands our squad and contracts is as follows (some positions are arbitrary, but anyway):

Goalkeepers
2017/2018 - Jaakkola, Bond, Ward
2018/2019 - Al-Habsi
Unknown - Legg, Southwood

Full backs
2017/2018 - Gunter, Obita, Watson
Unknown - Richards, Howe, Medford-Smith

Centre Backs
2017/2018 - McShane, Cooper Keown
2018/2019 - Blackett
2019/2020 - Moore, Ilori
Unknown - Dickie, Andresson, Jules, Osho, McIntyre

Central Midfielders
2017/2018 - van den Berg, Quinn
2018/2019 - Evans, Kelly, Swift, Gravenberch, Wieser
Unknown - Barrett, Rinomhota, East, Holsgrove
Expired - Williams

Wingers
2017/2018 - Hurtado
2018/2019 - Beerens, Meite, Harriott, Stacey
2019/2020 - McCleary, Popa
Unknown - Sheppard
Expired - Fosu

Strikers
2017/2018 - Kermorgant, Mendes, Samuel, Rakels
Unknown - Loader, Novakovich, Smith, Frost, Davis

Got to say thats perfect timing for McShanes contract. Enough time left to be useful and finishes early enough that we can have Moore and Ilori grow into that role.

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 01 Jun 2017 15:35

The Royal Forester
LWJ New keeper please!!!

Fedders? ... I am undecided about Adam as I think he would suit our style of play.

Fedders as a passing keeper? His upfield distribution was great but wouldn't trust him with the ball at his feet. No better than Ali in that respect.

Or heading towards his near post.

The goalkeeper with highest pass %age in the Championship this season was....

........Ali Al-Habsi (71.2% successful passes).

(Weirdly, Alex Pearce had the 66th highest pass %age in the league this year!)

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 01 Jun 2017 16:00

Sutekh So this close season I think we should be negotiating with the following over extending their contracts and not waiting to the last minute

Gunter
Obita
Watson
McShane
Williams

Really? The only definite for me on that list is Watson (although, to be fair, that's because I'm assuming that Williams is already on his way.)

Gunter and Obita, I wouldn't do anything about until December - see if they kick-on again from last season, or have they reached the limit of their capabilities. I can't see either of them agitating for a move either, so it's not a risk.

McShane - injury prone, red-card prone, and we have lots of CBs anyway. We managed without him for pretty much the last half of the season, I don't think he's a priority

Williams would require serious threats and bribery I reckon. But let's see how good Brian really is!!!

RoyalAuzzie

by RoyalAuzzie » 01 Jun 2017 16:19

I would take a look at Jackson Irvine from Burton Albion. May have a little to do with Aussie bias but has had a ripper of a first year in the championship being their top scorer and POTS from midfield. Fits the criteria of the extra creative midfielder to complement Swift, scores goals as well and puts himself about. Reckon he'd be in the 1.5 - 2 million price range so a realistic and affordable player that would fit into the system perfectly!!!

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 02 Jun 2017 08:23

I think one thing that might be key for the squad is to sign someone who is another Ian Harte/Darren Caskey in terms of set pieces. Far too many opportunities wasted from corners and free kicks (not to mention the failures to convert actual penalties) to my mind.

Of course, perhaps Swift and/or Kelly have the ability to take on that role but really didn't seen enough of it last season - if at all.

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 03 Jun 2017 13:02

maffff The goalkeeper with highest pass %age in the Championship this season was....

The problem isn't really with the accuracy of his passing, but more his choice of where to pass to. A completely accurate pass to the feet of a fullback who'll be under immediate pressure is not a good pass.

I think the question of when to play out from the back, and when to go long, is something the whole squad is still struggling with though,

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 03 Jun 2017 18:53

tmesis
maffff The goalkeeper with highest pass %age in the Championship this season was....

The problem isn't really with the accuracy of his passing, but more his choice of where to pass to. A completely accurate pass to the feet of a fullback who'll be under immediate pressure is not a good pass.

I think the question of when to play out from the back, and when to go long, is something the whole squad is still struggling with though,

Al-Habsi's received it under pressure or with no good options as much as he's made poor choices or passes from what I got to see.

He's not exactly perfect for the style, but as you say it's the whole side making bad pass and move decisions.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 05 Jun 2017 09:42

Davezk We need to sign the better players of lower championship / upper league 1 players or those in the prem who would be available on loan.

No obvious names spring to mind though tbh.
The teams that go up tend to have current squad members available for loan around January time when they realisethey won't get a game ahead of the expensive new premiership journeymen the club has signed.

JC
Hob Nob Regular

by JC » 21 Jun 2017 22:12

Rumours that Williams is going to Huddersfield on a free. Cockup if true

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 21 Jun 2017 23:04

JC Rumours that Williams is going to Huddersfield on a free. Cockup if true

How so? He was signed during the Anton era so is no doubt one of our higher earners and perhaps the Thais had no intention of re-signing him on similar terms. Maybe that's changed under the Chinese ownership but at this point he is open to discuss with other clubs.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 21 Jun 2017 23:22

I think the base of a very good team is there but we need a few more match winners like Knockaert wss for Brighton. I think we should try and bring in Tom Lawrence who would chip in with creativity and goals. We definitely need a full back with pace and a good cross as well and a goalscorer. I think Darryl Murphy would be a quality signing

I think our defence will be more consistent next season and we will concede fewer goals

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 22 Jun 2017 09:01

Do not think it will turn out to be a great loss for us!

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 22 Jun 2017 09:18

Like to see him stay but expect him to go and take up an opportunity in the PL. No problem if that is the case as there will be a ton of other players that can run around with an infectious energy, get booked a lot, blast the ball over/wide at regular intervals and get frustrated with the ref after not getting free kicks when they fall over.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 22 Jun 2017 09:33

Not a cock-up as such, he deserves a shot at the Premier League and he's the type of player we can replace.

Him going to Huddersfield leaves a bit of a sour taste in the mouth, granted

Hitchytwo

by Hitchytwo » 22 Jun 2017 10:24

My dad is a Wimbledon supporter and I honestly think that after going see a few games with him that, Lyle Taylor would be a good signing. Cheap and plays well for the team every time I've seen him. :D