Summer Ins and Outs

327 posts
genome
Hob Nob Legend

Summer Ins and Outs

by genome » 19 Jun 2017 16:22

Thought I'd start a list for easy reference that I'll edit along the way during the summer.

As of 26/06/17

IN

OUT

Harrison Bennett - Released
Harry Cardwell - Released
Tariqe Fosu - Charlton Athletic - Free
Dominic Hyam - Coventry - Free
Zak Jules - Shrewsbury Town - Undisclosed
Aaron Kuhl - Released
Sean Long - Lincoln City - Free
Stuart Moore - Released
Deniss Rakels - Lech Poznan - Loan (Season)
Jack Stacey - Luton Town - Undisclosed
Craig Tanner - Motherwell - Free
Joe Tupper - Released
Terence Vancooten - Released
Last edited by genome on 26 Jun 2017 08:56, edited 3 times in total.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Summer Ins and Outs

by Sutekh » 20 Jun 2017 08:45

Technically Danny Williams becomes a free agent as of next Friday so may want to add him as an "OUT" or "UNDECIDED" or something.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 20 Jun 2017 09:27

Was gonna wait until after 30/06 before adding him, as he's technically under contract until then.

Rumour is he's off to Sivasspor :|

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 20 Jun 2017 10:42

You could add the clubs the released end up at. So far it's:

Tanner - Motherwell
Long - Lincoln City
Hyam - Coventry

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 20 Jun 2017 10:59

Cheers. Team names bolded for ease of reading.

Do we know if the youngsters released were at the end of their contracts, like Fosu?

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 20 Jun 2017 12:16

genome Cheers. Team names bolded for ease of reading.

Do we know if the youngsters released were at the end of their contracts, like Fosu?

Yeah, all end of contract.

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 23 Jun 2017 13:30

Zak Jules to Shrewsbury. New deal rejected so we'll get a fee (compensation or tribunal).

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 23 Jun 2017 14:41

Will w8 for official confimration before adding to the thread.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 23 Jun 2017 16:03

maffff Zak Jules to Shrewsbury. New deal rejected so we'll get a fee (compensation or tribunal).

http://www.readingchronicle.co.uk/sport ... yals_deal/

ZAK Jules has rejected a new contract with Reading FC and looks set to sign for Shrewsbury Town.

The 20-year-old defender has been on the fringes of Royals' first-team and has been offered a new deal by the club.

But the London-born youngster is believed to be on the verge of joining League One Shrewsbury in a bid to secure regular games.

Jules becomes the second Royals Academy graduate to leave the club this week after rejecting a new contract following Tariqe Fosu's switch to Charlton Athletic.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 23 Jun 2017 19:03

Sutekh
maffff Zak Jules to Shrewsbury. New deal rejected so we'll get a fee (compensation or tribunal).

http://www.readingchronicle.co.uk/sport ... yals_deal/

ZAK Jules has rejected a new contract with Reading FC and looks set to sign for Shrewsbury Town.

The 20-year-old defender has been on the fringes of Royals' first-team and has been offered a new deal by the club.

But the London-born youngster is believed to be on the verge of joining League One Shrewsbury in a bid to secure regular games.

Jules becomes the second Royals Academy graduate to leave the club this week after rejecting a new contract following Tariqe Fosu's switch to Charlton Athletic.

Really disappointed with that. He looked promising whenever I've seen him but admittedly he's down the pecking order and it's perhaps understandable he'd like to settle with a permanent contract and get regular first team football. Still a shame.

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 23 Jun 2017 19:46

Think it is sending strong signals that the younger fringe players don't see a decent route through to the first team under Stam. Lot of strength ahead of them.

double d

by double d » 23 Jun 2017 20:43

Was looking forward to Jules next year.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 23 Jun 2017 20:50

Was expecting more promotion from within under Stam. Jules was tipped by a lot of Nobbers who have seen him play so its interesting.

I suppose the fact he was offered a contract indicates Stam isn't clearing out for the sake of it.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 23 Jun 2017 21:00

Realistically we can only have two or three Academy products making a transition into the first team squad each season at absolute most and our academy is chock full of potential. Centre back is a hard spot to break through at the best of times because it requires a lot of strength and maturity, and we've had to bring in some outside talent that's ready to go recently. Moore, Ilori and Blackett are all young and therefore block the chances for the likes of Cooper, Dickie, Hyam, McIntyre and Jules, they can't all afford to bide their time and wait for their chance, it won't come. Some if not most are inevitably going to have to move to get their chance. Very very few players will step in and be assured, most will need a season or two of adjusting and few teams can afford that for many players.

In recent years we've had Robson-Kanu, Sigurdsson, Church, McCarthy, Obita, Taylor, Hector, Cooper, Kuhl, Tishbola and Kelly all make an impact on our first team from the Academy. And I'm surely forgetting someone. That's a pretty special record. Sadly, the majority of the Academy simply can't make it if we're to try to stay competitive and even move forward.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 23 Jun 2017 22:01

3points Think it is sending strong signals that the younger fringe players don't see a decent route through to the first team under Stam. Lot of strength ahead of them.

Or expect new signings (like last summers) to pose a bigger challenge. We bought players from Manure, Liverpool, Leicester, Chelsea academies..... Evans was Man City. I'd be happy with more of the same.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 23 Jun 2017 22:20

3points Think it is sending strong signals that the younger fringe players don't see a decent route through to the first team under Stam. Lot of strength ahead of them.

He brought Liam Kelly through...

royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

by royalp-we » 23 Jun 2017 22:27

Lower West

Or expect new signings (like last summers) to pose a bigger challenge. We bought players from Manure, Liverpool, Leicester, Chelsea academies..... Evans was Man City. I'd be happy with more of the same.

PSG, too.

I remember last summer there were lots of questions as we had only signed danzell g by this point. I've got a feeling you are correct and we'll see youngsters arrive from a higher level; we have lots of reasons to be optimistic as our recruitment policy has been nothing short of amazing for the past 12-18 months.

I'd be happy with 1 or 2 youngsters nailing down a place in the team each season. We'll see Watson, Stacey, Meite and Kelly push on further this year.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 24 Jun 2017 08:18

NewCorkSeth Was expecting more promotion from within under Stam. Jules was tipped by a lot of Nobbers who have seen him play so its interesting.

I suppose the fact he was offered a contract indicates Stam isn't clearing out for the sake of it.

You can only promote so many to a first team squad.

Reading's youngsters coming through are good and some are good enough for other lower division sides to think they can challenge for a place in their first teams, so I don't think it's a surprise that we're seeing one or two of our promising youngsters elect to continue their development elsewhere if a first team opportunity comes along.

With Reading competing at the level they are it is a lot harder for youngsters to get league opportunities unless they are outstanding talents. Therefore I would not expect to see more than two or three regularly involved in matchday squads and Reading are currently doing that with Watson, Kelly and Meite.

As ever Reading need to get the next batch out on decent loans at good levels and those players really need to impress. Last season I think Stacey was probably the leading light in terms of consistent performance and apparently Keown didn't do too badly at Patrick so perhaps they may the next to get more opportunity to be around the first team on match days this season.

The pre-season should be good time for all to get a go and impress the management. Just wish the club would officially confirm what pre-season games and where and what level of squad will be appearing.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 24 Jun 2017 11:11

It's a similar story to 2006 where players like Jonny Hayes were left behind by the rapid strides forward made by the first team. He's the perfect example really, drops down the leagues but is now at his peak and could be playing Champions League football next season.

Being released isn't the end of the world and players will generally find their right level.

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 24 Jun 2017 12:25

NewCorkSeth Was expecting more promotion from within under Stam. Jules was tipped by a lot of Nobbers who have seen him play so its interesting.

He had a terrible loan at motherwell, maybe saw what happened to Kuhl and given we have Dickie and Andresson he thinks a permanent move will be best for his career. It's league one, so done pretty well to get that and hopefully he'll find his level over his career.

327 posts
It is currently 28 Mar 2024 13:13