Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

CONFIMRED - Andy Yiadom

by Sutekh » 26 Jun 2017 08:47

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

Re: RUMOUR - Andy Yiadom

by Hound » 26 Jun 2017 09:00

interesting to note we've been linked with a few new right backs - one area I didn't think Stam would be looking at all with Gunter and Watson.

Heard this lad was highly rated, but not much more than that

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 26 Jun 2017 09:03

Would happily take Yiadom or Christie.

Statistically Yiadom was the best RB in the league last season fwiw....

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 26 Jun 2017 09:04

Quick, apparently. If the rumours are true and we're looking at him or Christie then it looks like Stam is trying to add pace to the side which is very welcome IMO.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 26 Jun 2017 09:07

I'd happily take him if he was available and would come to us.

One thing that I would really like us to do this year, esp if we play 5 at the back is to have the full backs push right on, pretty much as Fulham do. Obita could certainly do it successfully.

Tommio

by Tommio » 26 Jun 2017 09:15

Hound I'd happily take him if he was available and would come to us.

One thing that I would really like us to do this year, esp if we play 5 at the back is to have the full backs push right on, pretty much as Fulham do. Obita could certainly do it successfully.

Yes this is exactly what I've been trying to get at. People say we don't need Christie or this guy. We do. We need wing backs who are comfortable to carry the ball forward, something which Gunter isn't comfortable doing. The play off final showed a lack of width on gunters side, so having someone like Yiadom would vastly improve us.

Dennis the Butler
Location: Wallowing in the Premiership glory ... oh bollox !!

by Dennis the Butler » 26 Jun 2017 09:18

Rated at 2 mill by Barnsley with Swansea very keen on a player + cash deal.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 26 Jun 2017 09:39

Hound I'd happily take him if he was available and would come to us.

You don't necessarily need 3 CB's either, when the full-backs bomb on one of the midfielders (say Evans or VDB) can drop into defence to make a three. Admittedly they have the two best full-backs in the country, but Tottenham do this (Dier drops in) and they are deadly.

I think we tried it at times this season, but when the full-backs turn inside as soon as they get to the halfway line, it doesn't really work.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 26 Jun 2017 10:05

Gunter frustrates me, as he does pretty much everyone to some extent, as I think he has shown the capability. Him and McCleary sometimes combine beautifully, and when he does race down the wing he can cross a good ball (thinking the Swift miss vs Fulham as an example)

just does it so rarely. But i get the feeling Stam would like to see it much more

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 26 Jun 2017 12:19

Hound Gunter frustrates me, as he does pretty much everyone to some extent, as I think he has shown the capability. Him and McCleary sometimes combine beautifully, and when he does race down the wing he can cross a good ball (thinking the Swift miss vs Fulham as an example)

just does it so rarely. But i get the feeling Stam would like to see it much more

The other very important thing is that Gunter is only here for another year, so the club may be looking to get some cash from him. So getting in another RB now means some bedding in time, then Watson and new RB competing, while Gunter moves on, either in August, or, more likely IMO, in January.

Stam clearly likes him, but that doesn't mean he's necessarily going to offer him another contract.

The Informant

by The Informant » 26 Jun 2017 12:40

In my opinion everyone is over thinking this.

I just think Stam wants a better/different type of full back.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 26 Jun 2017 13:03

Let's not beat around the bush here. A few good performances in the latter stage of the season doesn't change the fact that he can't cross, can't defend, isn't overly quick, bottles a lot of challenges, passes back too frequently, and overall is a consistent 5 out of 10 player. He's built a career on being remarkably unremarkable and in this day and age consistency and never getting injured goes a long way.

Put Ilori (or a new CB) next to a new RB/RWB of Stam's choosing and I guarantee we will improve drastically, both defensively and playing it out from the back.

The Gunter-McShane combo got us into trouble time and time again. The amount of times I had to see those two indecisively piss about with it in the corner before inevitably losing it makes it even more remarkable to think that we were only a couple of penalties away from the premier league.

The Informant

by The Informant » 26 Jun 2017 13:32

CountryRoyal Let's not beat around the bush here. A few good performances in the latter stage of the season doesn't change the fact that he can't cross, can't defend, isn't overly quick, bottles a lot of challenges, passes back too frequently, and overall is a consistent 5 out of 10 player. He's built a career on being remarkably unremarkable and in this day and age consistency and never getting injured goes a long way.

Put Ilori (or a new CB) next to a new RB/RWB of Stam's choosing and I guarantee we will improve drastically, both defensively and playing it out from the back.

The Gunter-McShane combo got us into trouble time and time again. The amount of times I had to see those two indecisively piss about with it in the corner before inevitably losing it makes it even more remarkable to think that we were only a couple of penalties away from the premier league.

Yep

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 26 Jun 2017 13:44

Here's how Yiadom (and Christie's) season compared to Gunter's

The Informant

by The Informant » 26 Jun 2017 13:57

The above means absolutely fcuk all.

All teams play differently and Gunter was a part of a far better side.

It's all about how they fit in with our set up and nothing else. Stats are such bullshit anyway.

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 26 Jun 2017 14:13

Not really. Noting teams set up differently gives an idea of the bae you're working with. Attacking effectiveness, how often they cross, pass, tackle and to what success. Over 30/40 games you see enough of the player come out beyond purely team setup.

glass half full
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you see someone without a smile..... give him one of yours!

by glass half full » 26 Jun 2017 19:15

What is so often forgotten is that a few teams nullified Gunter's ability to go forward. He needs to sure that he has these options and a pressing side like Huddersfield, for example,might keep a wing back at bay, Who is to say whether Yiadom would be any different. Only time would tell.

alfie9

by alfie9 » 27 Jun 2017 02:59

Yiadom played left back quite a few times for Barnsley last season. So he could provide cover for both flanks, which would be useful

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 27 Jun 2017 10:36

alfie9 Yiadom played left back quite a few times for Barnsley last season. So he could provide cover for both flanks, which would be useful

Sounds more and more like the Ghanaian Chris Gunter.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 27 Jun 2017 10:49

Sutekh
alfie9 Yiadom played left back quite a few times for Barnsley last season. So he could provide cover for both flanks, which would be useful

Sounds more and more like the Ghanaian Chris Gunter.

Except he's English but ok.

178 posts