Summer Ins and Outs

327 posts
genome
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Summer Ins and Outs

by genome » 26 Jun 2017 20:49

NewCorkSeth
bunkmoreland
maffff He had a terrible loan at motherwell, maybe saw what happened to Kuhl and given we have Dickie and Andresson he thinks a permanent move will be best for his career. It's league one, so done pretty well to get that and hopefully he'll find his level over his career.

Afternoon, I'm a Motherwell fan I'd posted over in your academy thread when we took Jules on loan but thought I'd chip in here. I don't think it can really be overstated just how bad a time Jules had up here. He looked so far out his depth it was untrue. There's absolutely no chance he'd have been anywhere near your first team based on his performances at Motherwell. Off the top of my head I can think of at least 4 goals he was directly responsible for that arose from an error on his part, which given he only made 7 starts isn't that great going.

Jules wasn't helped by the fact we had something of a defensive crisis in that Stephen McManus, our only experienced centre half, was ruled out for the season in February when he was injured after 5 mins in the 2-0 loss to Celtic which caused all sorts of problems for the remainder of the games. Jules gave away a needless penalty for Celtic's opener in that game and it got worse the following week when he opened the scoring for Dundee with a headed OG from 14 yards in a 5-1 defeat where our defence just collapsed.

It was unfortunate for Jules as he was clearly brought in as cover but the more he played and the circumstances in which he was playing he looked like the classic Academy player who was used to having time on the ball and not actually having to defend. He was frequently caught in possession and struggled with the physical side of the game see Hearts 3rd below as an example.

He was prone to some exceptionally poor decision making, again he's only 19 so you expect mistakes it just seemed like every mistake he made it it was costing goals and points. Some of the errors he was making were proper horror shows best typified by his inexplicable decision where (having only been on the park 4 minutes) at 0-0 with 8 mins to go in a relegation scrap against Ross County he stopped a ball running out for a goal kick on the bye line (under no pressure), then try to play a 1-2 by squaring a ball into his own box. From the lost possession County scored and we lost 1-0. That was the last he set foot on the park for us.

Having said all that, he seems a nice lad and he's definitely an athlete but given he struggled for us in the Scottish Premiership, I honestly can't see where he'd have fitted in for a Reading side in the Championship. Hopefully the step down a level works out for him and he manages to cut out the errors in his game with more regular first team football.

This was a really fantastic and informative post. Thank you.

Agreed.

The use of gifs actually gave me a semi.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 29 Jun 2017 10:35

Just for the record I make it that this is the current first team squad (with last season's shirt numbers) for the start of 2017/2018

1. Al-Habsi - (26)
  2. Beerens - (7)
  3. Blackett - (24)
  4. Clement - (signed 28 June 2017)
  5. Cooper - (3)
  6. Evans - (6)
  7. Gunter - (2)
  8. Harriott - (15)
  9. Hurtado - (no shirt number as had already left on loan before shirt numbers were assigned)
  10. Ilori - (20)
  11. Jaakkola - (31)
  12. Kelly - (38)
  13. Kermorgant - (18)
  14. McCleary - (12)
  15. McShane - (5)
  16. Méïte - (19)
  17. Mendes - (9)
  18. Moore - (16)
  19. Obita - (11)
  20. Popa - (25)
  21. Quinn - (21)
  22. Samuel - (14)
  23. Swift - (8)
  24. van den Berg - (4)
  25. Watson - (30)
  26. Wieser - (17)

I've taken it as read that Williams will not return to the club and that Gravenberch's loan move to Roeslaere for 2017/2018 will go through.

linkenholtroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by linkenholtroyal » 29 Jun 2017 10:53

Sutekh Just for the record I make it that this is the current first team squad (with last season's shirt numbers) for the start of 2017/2018

1. Al-Habsi - (26)
  2. Beerens - (7)
  3. Blackett - (24)
  4. Clement - (signed 28 June 2017)
  5. Cooper - (3)
  6. Evans - (6)
  7. Gunter - (2)
  8. Harriott - (15)
  9. Hurtado - (no shirt number as had already left on loan before shirt numbers were assigned)
  10. Ilori - (20)
  11. Jaakkola - (31)
  12. Kelly - (38)
  13. Kermorgant - (18)
  14. McCleary - (12)
  15. McShane - (5)
  16. Méïte - (19)
  17. Mendes - (9)
  18. Moore - (16)
  19. Obita - (11)
  20. Popa - (25)
  21. Quinn - (21)
  22. Samuel - (14)
  23. Swift - (8)
  24. van den Berg - (4)
  25. Watson - (30)
  26. Wieser - (17)

I've taken it as read that Williams will not return to the club and that Gravenberch's loan move to Roeslaere for 2017/2018 will go through.

13 is always dedicated to the fans isnt it??

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 29 Jun 2017 10:56

Others with numbers were

1. George Legg 43
  2. Luke Southwood 56
  3. Niall Keown 34
  4. Robert Dickie 46
  5. Axel Andresson 47
  6. Gabriel Osho 52
  7. Omar Richards 53
  8. Tom McIntyre 59
  9. Teddy Howe 61
  10. Ramarni Medford-Smith 63
  11. Josh Barrett 29
  12. Jake Sheppard 35
  13. Andy Rinomhota 42
  14. Ryan East 51
  15. Danny Loader 62
  16. Andrija Novakovich 36
  17. Sam Smith 55
  18. Tyler Frost 60

I don't recall seeing Ward, Holsgrove or any of the other younger ones having numbers
Last edited by maffff on 29 Jun 2017 11:00, edited 1 time in total.

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 29 Jun 2017 10:59

linkenholtroyal 13 is always dedicated to the fans isnt it??

Aye

linkenholtroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by linkenholtroyal » 29 Jun 2017 13:08

maffff

Aye

You had Kermorgant as squad number 13. Number 13 is permanently given to the reading fans and is never given to a player.....
https://www.readingfc.co.uk/news/2016/july/squad-numbers-announced-for-2016-17/

linkenholtroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by linkenholtroyal » 29 Jun 2017 13:11

linkenholtroyal
maffff

Aye

You had Kermorgant as squad number 13. Number 13 is permanently given to the reading fans and is never given to a player.....

ah you are just stating players in alphabetical order not assigning them numbers, my mistake :roll:

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 29 Jun 2017 13:20

linkenholtroyal
linkenholtroyal
maffff
Aye

ah you are just stating players in alphabetical order not assigning them numbers, my mistake :roll:

I personally didn't. Not my post.

Numbers after names...

linkenholtroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by linkenholtroyal » 29 Jun 2017 13:32

maffff
linkenholtroyal
linkenholtroyal You had Kermorgant as squad number 13. Number 13 is permanently given to the reading fans and is never given to a player.....

I personally didn't. Not my post.

Numbers after names...

A man has to admit when he is wrong so sorry Sutekh

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 29 Jun 2017 21:46

Not particularly concerned about losing Jules even without seeing those horror gifs (seriously good post). He's a lot like Cooper - good physically and confident on the ball, but poor decision making and not actually that good at defending.

The three young central defenders I really rate are Hyam ( :( ), Osho, and McIntyre. Dickie has a lot to recommend about him as well.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 30 Jun 2017 07:09

I think Osho looks a really good prospect. Not dissimilar to Illori in style ?
McIntyre has been playing as a full back when fit so not sure whether he's thought of as a contender in the middle. He can certainly play there but we're well served at centre back and if he can stay fit next season he could be the answer to our left back concerns. There is also Andresson who had a really good loan at Bath, not often a teenage loanees gets made captain of the team....

double d

by double d » 30 Jun 2017 07:50

Yay we bought a player who might be a little bit good

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 30 Jun 2017 09:25

Nameless I think Osho looks a really good prospect. Not dissimilar to Illori in style ?
McIntyre has been playing as a full back when fit so not sure whether he's thought of as a contender in the middle. He can certainly play there but we're well served at centre back and if he can stay fit next season he could be the answer to our left back concerns. There is also Andresson who had a really good loan at Bath, not often a teenage loanees gets made captain of the team....

What's the general opinion on Niall Keown then? Seems to have impressed and drawn a lot of praise from his time at Partick Thistle. Could that suggest that he is next in line as a central defender after Ilori, Blackett, McShane, Moore and Cooper and leading the likes of Dickie and the above?

His deal is up next summer and at 22 I think he needs an extensive loan spell impressing at a decent level of football to get a chance of staying at Reading or he'll be released, as I really can't see any of the youngsters getting in ahead the 5 senior names (though if Cooper was sold then I presume Reading would look to replace with an Academy player rather than another signing).

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 30 Jun 2017 12:24

Sutekh
Nameless I think Osho looks a really good prospect. Not dissimilar to Illori in style ?

What's the general opinion on Niall Keown then? Seems to have impressed and drawn a lot of praise from his time at Partick Thistle. Could that suggest that he is next in line as a central defender after Ilori, Blackett, McShane, Moore and Cooper and leading the likes of Dickie and the above?

His deal is up next summer and at 22 I think he needs an extensive loan spell impressing at a decent level of football to get a chance of staying at Reading or he'll be released, as I really can't see any of the youngsters getting in ahead the 5 senior names (though if Cooper was sold then I presume Reading would look to replace with an Academy player rather than another signing).

Just from my perspective, Keown's a bit of a forgotten man. Can't remember when I last saw him play. Good player but a bad injury record, and given his age it's hard to see him getting anywhere with us. Would be happy if I heard Stam was promoting him though.

The Osho-Ilori comparison is good.

McIntyre roughly divided his time between left back and centre back last season. I think he could be a useful left back but he's not likely to compete for a wing-back position, he's technically good but quite cautious. Omar Richards is the attacking left-back to watch, he could be next season's Watson. Ramari Medford-Smith is somewhere between the two.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 30 Jun 2017 12:36

Obv make or break for known this year.

Richards good enough to back up Obita do you think?

Slightly off topic - did McCleary have the Op he needed in the summer? Presuming he did

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 30 Jun 2017 13:03

SCIAG Omar Richards is the attacking left-back to watch, he could be next season's Watson. Ramari Medford-Smith is somewhere between the two.

So Medford-Smith is a gunter?

stl_royal

by stl_royal » 30 Jun 2017 13:54

double d Yay we bought a player who might be a little bit good

Presumably better than a player who is almost certainly a little bit bad?

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 30 Jun 2017 14:09

SCIAG
McIntyre roughly divided his time between left back and centre back last season. I think he could be a useful left back but he's not likely to compete for a wing-back position, he's technically good but quite cautious. Omar Richards is the attacking left-back to watch, he could be next season's Watson. Ramari Medford-Smith is somewhere between the two.

I think McIntyre might be a good bet playing in front of a back 4, the sort of position Evans should be filling but hasn't quite convinced in yet.
Agree that Richards looks very much like the modern breed of flying wing back. More Victor Moses or Ashley Young than Graeme Murty.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 30 Jun 2017 14:30

Nameless
SCIAG

I think McIntyre might be a good bet playing in front of a back 4, the sort of position Evans should be filling but hasn't quite convinced in yet.
Agree that Richards looks very much like the modern breed of flying wing back. More Victor Moses or Ashley Young than Graeme Murty.

McIntyre left in 2001 m8, get with the times fella

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 30 Jun 2017 15:02

John Smith
Nameless
SCIAG

McIntyre left in 2001 m8, get with the times fella

Oh the humorous possibilities brought about by the fact humans don't have unique surnames !
I bet you loved the multiple Andy Gray situation, and of course the utter confusion brought about by Quinn being selected for ROI having been a NI stalwart previously ! Still, we have a World Cup winning English centre back which is cool....

327 posts