Away day travel

CavvyRoyal

Away day travel

by CavvyRoyal » 09 Jul 2017 10:23

Just having a think about why are away following are so low when we have an average Championship sized fan base. Not sure if you'd agree but I think the main reason, aside from lack of time, is the expense and inconvenience of travel to away games. Aside from STAR there are no other coach options available whereas a number of other clubs have various different coach providers with different pick up points etc.
Just wondering if there would be any interest in a minibus service to all Reading FC away games which is cheap, available to book online, alcohol permitted and has a few different pick up locations. This would solve many of the problems the STAR coaches have and create a great atmosphere as the regulars get to know each other over time. This could of course be expanded if there was sufficient demand for it.
Let me know what you think.

LWJ
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Hobnob Prediction League Champion 2011/2012, 2020/2021

Re: Away day travel

by LWJ » 11 Jul 2017 09:45

Alcohol permitted breaks the law so you may have some trouble. Though I would be interested for some games.

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 11 Jul 2017 11:36

LWJ Alcohol permitted breaks the law so you may have some trouble. Though I would be interested for some games.

Is it still illegal if you actually own the minibus as opposed to hiring one?

Zammo
Hob Nob Addict

by Zammo » 11 Jul 2017 12:05

Many moons ago I was on a privately hired minibus to Sixfields (Northampton). Probably 12 to 16 fans on-board, all with enough ale to sink a battleship. Fry up somewhere in the Banbury area, loads of p!ssstops, Weatherspoons in the town centre and an away win. Oh, and we sang a steward's name for the entire game (Ron Hill). Great memories.

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 11 Jul 2017 13:01

Very interested - in fact I made a thread about 2 months ago on a similar topic

Alcohol - it is an issue on a mini bus so you'd have to be very careful In that respect.

26-10-06

by 26-10-06 » 11 Jul 2017 14:16

bobby1413 Very interested - in fact I made a thread about 2 months ago on a similar topic

Alcohol - it is an issue on a mini bus so you'd have to be very careful In that respect.

Or we could just leave an hour or so earlier than normal to get into a decent pub at say 11...(if the drinking on bus proves a problem)

Very keen, and happy to help if I can

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 11 Jul 2017 14:58

26-10-06
bobby1413 Very interested - in fact I made a thread about 2 months ago on a similar topic

Or we could just leave an hour or so earlier than normal to get into a decent pub at say 11...(if the drinking on bus proves a problem)

Hi both, I'd also be very interested in any form of booze bus scheme. Would also love to see
CountryRoyal
involved too

La Flama Blanca

by La Flama Blanca » 12 Jul 2017 16:37

Would be interested as cost is the main reason I miss some games each season.

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 12 Jul 2017 21:34

Our take up of normal coach travel is incredibly low compared to other clubs. I know a trip on the official coaches isn't many people's idea of a wild day out, but I do wonder why our coach travel is so unpopular compared to other clubs.

cavillerarusticana

by cavillerarusticana » 15 Jul 2017 21:10

This might help explain it ( The Sporting and Events Act ( Control of Alcohol) 1985
1 Offences in connection with alcohol on coaches and trains.

(1)This section applies to a vehicle which—

(a)is a public service vehicle or railway passenger vehicle, and

(b)is being used for the principal purpose of carrying passengers for the whole or part of a journey to or from a designated sporting event.

(2)A person who knowingly causes or permits [F1alcohol] to be carried on a vehicle to which this section applies is guilty of an offence—

(a)if the vehicle is a public service vehicle and he is the operator of the vehicle or the servant or agent of the operator, or

(b)if the vehicle is a hired vehicle and he is the person to whom it is hired or the servant or agent of that person.

(3)A person who has [F1alcohol] in his possession while on a vehicle to which this section applies is guilty of an offence.

(4)A person who is drunk on a vehicle to which this section applies is guilty of an offence.

(5)In this section “public service vehicle” and “operator” have the same meaning as in the M1Public Passenger Vehicles Act 1981.

cavillerarusticana

by cavillerarusticana » 15 Jul 2017 21:18

It also applies to mini Buses, Hire vehicles etc. Info all available on legislation.gov.uk. Alcohol on certain other vehicles.

(1)This section applies to a motor vehicle which—

(a)is not a public service vehicle but is adapted to carry more than 8 passengers, and

(b)is being used for the principal purpose of carrying two or more passengers for the whole or part of a journey to or from a designated sporting event.

(2)A person who knowingly causes or permits [F2alcohol] to be carried on a motor vehicle to which this section applies is guilty of an offence—

(a)if he is its driver, or

(b)if he is not its driver but is its keeper, the servant or agent of its keeper, a person to whom it is made available (by hire, loan or otherwise) by its keeper or the keeper’s servant or agent, or the servant or agent of a person to whom it is so made available.

(3)A person who has [F2alcohol] in his possession while on a motor vehicle to which this section applies is guilty of an offence.

(4)A person who is drunk on a motor vehicle to which this section applies is guilty of an offence.

(5) In this section— “ keeper ”, in relation to a vehicle, means the person having the duty to take out a licence for it under [F3 the Vehicle Excise and Registration Act 1994 ] , “ motor vehicle ” means a mechanically propelled vehicle intended or adapted for use on roads, and “ public service vehicle ” has the same meaning as in the Public Passenger Vehicles Act M1 1981. ]

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 16 Jul 2017 22:13

John Smith
26-10-06

Hi both, I'd also be very interested in any form of booze bus scheme. Would also love to see
CountryRoyal
involved too

Pick me up on the way past chelt and I'm down.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 17 Jul 2017 09:25

CountryRoyal Pick me up on the way past chelt and I'm down.

You live in Cheltenham?

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 12 Sep 2017 11:39

CavvyRoyal Just having a think about why are away following are so low when we have an average Championship sized fan base. Not sure if you'd agree but I think the main reason, aside from lack of time, is the expense and inconvenience of travel to away games. Aside from STAR there are no other coach options available whereas a number of other clubs have various different coach providers with different pick up points etc.
Just wondering if there would be any interest in a minibus service to all Reading FC away games which is cheap, available to book online, alcohol permitted and has a few different pick up locations. This would solve many of the problems the STAR coaches have and create a great atmosphere as the regulars get to know each other over time. This could of course be expanded if there was sufficient demand for it.

Any further thoughts on this CavvyRoyal?

LWJ
Hob Nob Addict

by LWJ » 12 Sep 2017 14:43

John Smith
CavvyRoyal Just having a think about why are away following are so low when we have an average Championship sized fan base. Not sure if you'd agree but I think the main reason, aside from lack of time, is the expense and inconvenience of travel to away games. Aside from STAR there are no other coach options available whereas a number of other clubs have various different coach providers with different pick up points etc.

Any further thoughts on this CavvyRoyal?

Last active:09 Jul 2017 10:27

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 12 Sep 2017 16:05

LWJ Last active:09 Jul 2017 10:27

Ok well in that case I delegate duties to you LWJ, as you go to most away games.

Millwall shouldn't be an issue as I can get the train but if you could organise something for Leeds and onwards that would be grand. Thanks in advance.

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 12 Sep 2017 17:03

It's not often I'll give Reading supporters credit - but one they are due is that as a group they've probably not got the highest propensity in the league to travel by coach. Quite the opposite, I would think.

You've got a hardcore of the thermos and sandwich brigade but I think they're well enough catered for.

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 12 Sep 2017 18:33

Is our away support really less than other similar clubs?

LWJ
Hob Nob Addict

by LWJ » 14 Sep 2017 08:49

Green It's not often I'll give Reading supporters credit - but one they are due is that as a group they've probably not got the highest propensity in the league to travel by coach. Quite the opposite, I would think.

You've got a hardcore of the thermos and sandwich brigade but I think they're well enough catered for.

Interestingly* 16.5% of our fans who attended away games last year went via coach. I'm not sure how much I am allowed to say as this was mentioned in the star AGM last night so I shall leave it at that for now..

*might not be

The Reverend

by The Reverend » 14 Sep 2017 11:25

LWJ
Green It's not often I'll give Reading supporters credit - but one they are due is that as a group they've probably not got the highest propensity in the league to travel by coach. Quite the opposite, I would think.

Interestingly* 16.5% of our fans who attended away games last year went via coach. I'm not sure how much I am allowed to say as this was mentioned in the star AGM last night so I shall leave it at that for now..

*might not be

The Fan's Forum has a news embargo - I think you're OK with the AGM

*it's not