CONFIMRED - Modou Barrow

150 posts
winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

Re: Rumour - Modou Barrow

by winchester_royal » 20 Jul 2017 09:26

Interesting - felt we needed to add some pace to the team so nice to see that being addressed.

Sketchy record, but there's obviously some potential and quality in there. If Jaap can work his magic then we'll have ourselves a bargain. If he can't then at least it's a relatively 'cheap' gamble that hasn't paid off.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 20 Jul 2017 09:31

I'm really trying hard to get behind these signings... just gotta trust that's it all in Stam's master plan I guess... :?

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 20 Jul 2017 09:33

CountryRoyal I'm really trying hard to get behind these signings... just gotta trust that's it all in Stam's master plan I guess... :?

Interesting you say that. I think they have made 3 very good value signings if this one comes off. All with a reasonable amount of experience, good age. I would also like to see as good a striker as we can afford come in, but other than that I think we are looking very strong

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 20 Jul 2017 09:37

Hound
CountryRoyal I'm really trying hard to get behind these signings... just gotta trust that's it all in Stam's master plan I guess... :?

Interesting you say that. I think they have made 3 very good value signings if this one comes off. All with a reasonable amount of experience, good age. I would also like to see as good a striker as we can afford come in, but other than that I think we are looking very strong

Like everyone else was obviously slightly deterred by Wolves fan's comments about Bod, and his goal return, but I thought about the bigger picture, and trusted Stam's judgment. Was very meh about Mannone too, but quickly came around.

This will be no different... at the moment i find it a bit uninspiring, but give it a few hours probably and I'll have warmed to the idea. :lol:

linkenholtroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by linkenholtroyal » 20 Jul 2017 10:19

CountryRoyal
Hound

Like everyone else was obviously slightly deterred by Wolves fan's comments about Bod, and his goal return, but I thought about the bigger picture, and trusted Stam's judgment. Was very meh about Mannone too, but quickly came around.

This will be no different... at the moment i find it a bit uninspiring, but give it a few hours probably and I'll have warmed to the idea. :lol:

If this is a signing to add pace and not the answer to our striking crisis then this is a solid signing. If not then it worries me a little we are spending money on a position in which we already have a glut of talent.
I still feel we need a utility player in defence I like Jason Lowe Ex Blackburn on a free for this.
A Target man (where he is going to come from I have no idea)
And a CM, I would love Ledley, to do the link play from Defence.

Roar on the Royals

by Roar on the Royals » 20 Jul 2017 10:19

I remember watching MOTD he's lightening quick...

He can be our next Jimmy Kebe who can get fans off their seats whenever he has space to run with the ball !

Oilroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by Oilroyal » 20 Jul 2017 10:42

Good read ....... "Wales online, March 16"

"Barrow is more than speed, though, possessing a trick or two that hasn’t been seen enough from Montero who tends to just push past a man. There are suggestions his final ball is better too while it was interesting that Ki Sung-Yueng, when asked to name his most skillful teammate, opted for ‘Mo’ who he claimed was like Messi in training but could now do with it being shown on the Premier League pitch".

and......"Barrow does seem to have a greater defensive responsibility to his game"

full write up here
http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/swansea-city-see-modou-barrow-11029224

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 20 Jul 2017 10:42

As mentioned elsewhere I just don't think we're lacking anywhere especially. Top notch striker obviously would be good, but even without we are ok.

We have the following defenders: Obita, Blackett, Moore, Cooper, Ilori, McShane, Gunter, Watson. Plus players who can fill in, such as Joey if desperate. All good if not very good defenders at this level.

CM we have Evans, Kelly, Swift, Joey, Quinn plus a couple of youngsters like Rinomhata. Also players like Beerens, Ilori who could do a job

Up front and wing we have Popa, Beerens, Mendes, JDB, Barrow if he comes. Plus McCleary, Harriott and Kermie hopefully by October time.

We can make two competitive teams out of that lot.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 20 Jul 2017 11:33

Interestingly after all that, the chron are suggesting the deal isn't happening now...

The Informant

by The Informant » 20 Jul 2017 11:35

Hound Interestingly after all that, the chron are suggesting the deal isn't happening now...

Doesn't it say it's just not imminent?

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 20 Jul 2017 11:39

@ChronCourtney 6m6
Nothing on player front so far. Told Reading have lost interest in Barrow now. Was really hoping they'd push that through. #readingfc

Wages, maybe

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 20 Jul 2017 12:14

genome @ChronCourtney 6m6
Nothing on player front so far. Told Reading have lost interest in Barrow now. Was really hoping they'd push that through. #readingfc

Wages, maybe

Maybe they realised that a 5th choice winger who couldn't get into a bottle job team when they were crying out for a mildly decent winger, might not actually be the right player to take us forward.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 20 Jul 2017 12:17

Yeah, not gutted this one has fallen through.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 20 Jul 2017 17:14

Bit of an odd one. In theory we've got plenty of wing talent for a team that plays two shapes, one of which doesn't include wingers.

At the same time we were very lacking on the break last year. I can think of several occasions where we flooded forward only for McCleary or Williams to fail to capitalise and engineer a decent shot let alone a goal. So pace is welcome, though end product is key.

But then again we played most our football last year ay a slow pace failing to breakdown a set defence with the space squeezed. Pace wont help that at all.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 20 Jul 2017 18:01

Snowflake Royal But then again we played most our football last year ay a slow pace failing to breakdown a set defence with the space squeezed. Pace wont help that at all.

Villa away in particular showed what was lacking for most of the season. .

Muskrat
Hob Nob Regular

by Muskrat » 20 Jul 2017 18:15

Videos online which showcase his skills all seem to show him running down blind alleys, trying one trick too many, getting dispossessed and giving away a free kick or putting a poor ball into the box. Therefore I'm OUT for this signing. Especially when we have other decent wingers already who Stam chooses not to play :|

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 20 Jul 2017 18:26

Muskrat Videos online which showcase his skills all seem to show him running down blind alleys, trying one trick too many, getting dispossessed and giving away a free kick or putting a poor ball into the box. Therefore I'm OUT for this signing. Especially when we have other decent wingers already who Stam chooses not to play :|

Who are they?

Muskrat
Hob Nob Regular

by Muskrat » 20 Jul 2017 19:11

NewCorkSeth
Muskrat Videos online which showcase his skills all seem to show him running down blind alleys, trying one trick too many, getting dispossessed and giving away a free kick or putting a poor ball into the box. Therefore I'm OUT for this signing. Especially when we have other decent wingers already who Stam chooses not to play :|

Who are they?

Assuming you weren't there, but take a look at the play off final starting line up and you might get a clue....

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 20 Jul 2017 19:18

Sky Sports suggesting a fee has been agreed.
I don't very often get excited about new signings but I like this player and it's good to see the club investing.
Presumably GMac's injury problems are some way from being resolved.
Harriot also seems to be injured a lot.
Popa looks a bit like a young kid trying to play men's football and Beerens didn't feature too much at the end of last season.

The three signings of these past few days all have something to prove and if only two of the three come good it will be good business.
Am starting to look forward to the new season and more so if we see a couple more signings ahead of that first game in not much more than two weeks' time.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 20 Jul 2017 20:09

Muskrat
NewCorkSeth

Who are they?

Assuming you weren't there, but take a look at the play off final starting line up and you might get a clue....

Very true I wasn't. Dont think wingers lend themselves to a formation without wingers if I'm honest. Even so only 2 of our wingers were fully fit at the time.

We have 4 senior wingers as I make it - McCleary(injured), Beerens, Popa and Harriott(injured)

I reckon cover is needed unless one or both of Clement and Bodvarsson are intended wingers. But as your argument stated "Stam refuses to play" I can assume you meant neither of them... and I guess Harriott too as he was injured at the time.

150 posts