The Stam passing game

Bossbluff

The Stam passing game

by Bossbluff » 19 Aug 2017 07:47

So, I always hear banded around that the Reading fans don't like or get bored watching us pass the ball around. I personally enjoy seeing us learn to control the ball better. I just want to know the thoughts from you guys how you feel about our style of play and if you think we are improving as a side, and even if you feel there is no entertainment value to our game?

Previous seasons I have always watched the games gritting my teeth every time we lose the ball to a loose touch, or a wasted pass. We all know that we should be attacking with the passing, and with the Villa game we started to see this happening. Yapp Stam did say at the beginning of last season that we will make mistakes and we will suffer from these mistakes, But we are now making less of them and with us learning the one touch passing game we look like a more professional outfit with more control. The players are now starting to look like they want the ball more and with the chance of a new striker I think this season looks promising (Depending on the signing.)

your thoughts??

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: The Stam passing game

by CountryRoyal » 19 Aug 2017 08:52

I've always advocated it and was very vocal in supporting it early doors last season stating that it's a work in progress and it needs to be given time.

One thing I will highlight is when you said "learn", I think a lot of frustration builds from the fact we can go to playing well one game and shit the next and there isn't that continuous match on match improvement which id like to see. But looking at the bigger picture overall we have become more comfortable and whilst I fully expect that we will still see our fair share of awful performances and perhaps heavy defeats, I think we're on the right track.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 19 Aug 2017 09:08

Sorry to say that I find it appallingly dull and unentertaining. Seems the game plan is to win by one goal somehow (as if you get more points for that :roll: ).

But it appears to get results - at the moment - and you can't argue with that as that is what playing games is all about at the end of the day.

Don't get me wrong slick fast direct passing with plenty of movement is great, and I presume that is what Jaap is ultimately aiming for, but the journey to get to that end product is a real struggle to endure at times.

Like the above post said just wish there could be consistency game to game as looking smart in one game and then utter kak in the next really doesn't help

However there are signs of improvement over where the club were this time last year and so I think it's just a matter of continued good coaching and adding a couple of technically better players to make a team that starts carrying real consistency and threat in each game.

This is probably going to be a defining season for Jaap and the club. Think the team may actually improve considerably but not do as well in the league as last year - if that makes sense.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 19 Aug 2017 09:37

Generally I enjoy the style. I agree sometimes it can get very stale and become unwatchable - thinking games like Ipswich at home last year, but I think we are progressing

I enjoy the tactical side and seeing the way that Villa were ran around before being picked off was a genuine joy to watch

Stam has better players and more suited players to his preferred system so I expect games like Villa to become more the norm. Our forward options (inc Swift and Kelly) should be exciting to watch now. Looking forward to seeing how the season unravels

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 19 Aug 2017 09:42

I'm not a huge fan of the Barcelona bore the opposition to death approach.

I have thought for a long time we needed to be a lot better at controlling games, keeping possession and killing the opposition momentum.

I'd like to see us change gears a bit quicker and go a bit more incisive. I think the big change of pace is more important than anything. I have no problem passing sideways in defence when we want a break or just to break the pattern of play. Just not all game.

We're getting there, it's just a matter of time, patience and the right players.

With Swift, Clement, Kelly, Berg and maybe Evans (just haven't seen Bacuna) I think we have the midfield to do it.

Moore, Obita, Ilori and maybe Blackett are up to it at the back and you want at least one tougher CB in McShane too.

The wings look decent with Barrow and Beerens for it. McCleary and Harriott to a slightly lesser extent.

Just upfront and right back for me where we don't really have the player to fully succeed in the style.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 19 Aug 2017 09:57

Definitely think the full backs are one area where there is plenty of work to do to implement the style

I like Gunter but he has to up his game offensively. I was interesting in the noise around us trying to sign yiadom as I think he would be excellent.

Blackett looks better to me this year but Obita is definitely a better fit and has the capability to play he attacking full back role

The Cap
Hob Nob Regular

by The Cap » 19 Aug 2017 09:59

According to Alex Neil, the Preston manager, it goes like this, ""I think Reading are quite rare in this division in the way they play. Their possession stats and the amount of passes which they complete are high. I watched their midweek game on DVD and in the first four or five minutes, I don’t think Aston Villa touched the ball. Villa then nearly scored after just three touches and that shows you how different their approach is. Some retain possession and try to grind you down like that, create chances that way. Other teams try to hit you on the break, others are really direct. What is the right way of doing it? The way that wins the match is the answer. When fans leave a ground, they want to have seen their team win. They are not overly fussed how they do it, but it is better when they are entertained."

Everyone a touch wiser now?

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 19 Aug 2017 10:24

In general I like it, but the lack of pace and urgency in the side caused big problems last year and was a reason it drew criticism. When it's bad, it can be excruciating and I totally understand why some people are not fans of it. I think last season, when we were in sticky situations, the team showed an unwillingness to adapt the style which annoyed a lot of fans.

Stam is still learning too, and recently I've noticed him making noises about changing style where necessary.

However when it's good, it's very good (see Villa on Tuesday). If we can maintain that level of performance, then the critics will soon die down. I think it's the right style, but Stam/Tevreden need time to buy suitable attacking players and work on team consistency. Our Away form is a big factor in that.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 19 Aug 2017 12:56

I'd add that Stam is also benefiting from the work of Adkins, Clarke and McDermott. All tried to play more of a possession game since we came down. They did it ineffectually and without the right players. But they started the process of matching the academy style and bringing the youth through. They started adapting the signings. They got players used to trying to pass.

Stam's growing success is the product of trial and failure over a good 5 years

Linden Jones' Tash

by Linden Jones' Tash » 19 Aug 2017 13:13

I think it is over simplifying things to characterise it purely as possession based vs direct, there are multiple game plans within these and the nuances are important

I think to succeed at a higher level, you can't just rely on % based play and a possession approach is needed to be progressive.

The signs are there with the last few games, but the lack of attacking intent, especially in the first half is very frustrating.

It has led me to wonder whether there is a game plan whereby we attack more in the second half of games vs. First halves for a specific reason.....

Has anyone else got a view on the timing of attacking intent?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 19 Aug 2017 13:22

Mental and physical fatigue. Without the ball you have to be constantly alert to movement, adjusting shape, chasing the ball and on your toes. In attack and possession only about a third of your team needs to be that on it. The others are in a comparative rest period.

Sooner or later that begins to tell. Reaction slows, awareness dulls and the ability to be constantly moving gets harder.

More gaps appear and are easier to exploit.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I've been playing 5/6 a side friendlies for almost two years and without fail, as people tire - work rate dips and the games become far more open.

The Championship is obviously astronomically higher in standard. But the players are still human

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 19 Aug 2017 13:24

Yeah ^^

There was a clear plan in the villa game to be more direct second half

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 19 Aug 2017 13:53

Snowflake Royal I'd add that Stam is also benefiting from the work of Adkins, Clarke and McDermott. All tried to play more of a possession game since we came down. They did it ineffectually and without the right players. But they started the process of matching the academy style and bringing the youth through. They started adapting the signings. They got players used to trying to pass.

Stam's growing success is the product of trial and failure over a good 5 years

More than five years although after his first season McDermott was more about counter-attacking, at least for the first team.

The academy changed style under Rodgers - no idea if this was his doing but it would surprise me if he didn't have a say.
It stayed the same under McDermott, and we only switched to a counter-attacking style when Sigurdsson left (we'd already sold Matejovsky and Henry so didn't have much choice).
Adkins re-introduced possession football for the first team.
Clarke backed away from it at first, but then produced even better football with the likes of Norwood, Tshibola, Quinn, Vydra, Piazon, and Sa. Youth became more counter-attacking though.
McDermott inherited largely the same team so kept the same style. Even pre-empted the 3-4-1-2 with his 4-4-2 diamond which is basically the same formation.

starbug

by starbug » 19 Aug 2017 14:13

Its dreary stuff and doesn't get the crowd going making home games doubly worse to watch as evidenced by the awful crowds last season despite the success . We retain possession where and when the opposition wants us to without posing danger, when we should keep it like the latter stages of games we don't. More concerning is the lack of a plan B and poor away performances.

Longhorn1970
Hob Nob Regular

by Longhorn1970 » 19 Aug 2017 15:30

starbug Its dreary stuff and doesn't get the crowd going making home games doubly worse to watch as evidenced by the awful crowds last season despite the success . We retain possession where and when the opposition wants us to without posing danger, when we should keep it like the latter stages of games we don't. More concerning is the lack of a plan B and poor away performances.

[applause] agree. Being able to control and pass are almost taken as a given for anyone playing. It's being able to do it under pressure and at pace which can hurt sides, not in front of their parked bus ...

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 19 Aug 2017 15:35

Did we come within 2 kicks of promotion last year or did I imagine that?

Whether it's to everyones taste or not, it brought us success last year

Longhorn1970
Hob Nob Regular

by Longhorn1970 » 19 Aug 2017 15:38

Hound Did we come within 2 kicks of promotion last year or did I imagine that?

If it floats ya boat that's great !

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 19 Aug 2017 15:49

Longhorn1970

If it floats ya boat that's great !

That's not what I said though. It brought success, whether it was a joy to watch or not is a different matter

Can't rewrite history to say we play into the hands of the opposition

Avon Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Avon Royal » 19 Aug 2017 16:11

That's not my definition of success, and I hope the team didn't view it as success either.

Longhorn1970
Hob Nob Regular

by Longhorn1970 » 19 Aug 2017 16:15

Avon Royal

That's not my definition of success, and I hope the team didn't view it as success either.

Nor has it put bums on seats ...