BFTG - Hull

111 posts
John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Anyone who lives within their means shows a serious lack of imagination

BFTG - Hull

by John Madejski's Wallet » 23 Sep 2017 17:25

Christ we're really not very good right now.
No movement, no cutting edge, no vision. Just monotonous passing that is more muscle memory than thought.
I know Brum were rubbish, but what has happened since that game?

That said, got out of jail against an average team that always had a bit of threat. I think they were on for a monster booing from the boo boys around me but managed to dodge that at least.

Blackett and Joey had awful games. Hadn't looked at the team sheet and didn't notice McCleary was playing until the last 30 min

Sucks that the only time their keeper needed to actually touch the ball was denying us with the last kick.

Stam's subs were very :shock: . Kelly for Illori when 1-0 down at home is really asking for the fans to turn on you. I assumed Bod wasn't on the bench so my opinion of Stam went down even more when he came on late

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

BFTG Hull

by Sutekh » 23 Sep 2017 17:26

Well that was awful

In my mind Jaap's team selection cost Reading the points as i feel that if you have a fit striker then you should play that striker and not stick them on the bench.

Playing a ton of wingers up front just seemed to confuse the hell out of the team as they didn't seem to be on the same wavelength or have any understanding.

I do not understand why Aluko is in the team or why he was bought at all. He seems to slow everything down and when he does get a chance the ball misses the goal completely.

He wasnt the only one either, McCleary struggled to get in the game at all and when he did try to make a run the ball went backwards or out to the other side.

Berg was poor, Edwards didnt seem to add anything very much and it's no wonder fans were getting a bit "upset" with things.

And then Jaap says afterwards to stay away if you're going to be negative and tells the fans that he makes the substitution decisions. Well that latter part is obvious because they are so clueless. Ilori for Kelly. Bodvarsson not sent on until late.

And let's remember Bodvarsson has managed 2 goals in about 4 games worth of game time so though he may well not be the answer to the striking issues he appears to be doing his bit on the pitch - more so if you bear in mind his goalscoring record at Wolves.

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Anyone who lives within their means shows a serious lack of imagination

Re: BFTG - Hull

by John Madejski's Wallet » 23 Sep 2017 17:31

Anyone know what is up with Obita? I didnt see him fall

starbug

Re: BFTG Hull

by starbug » 23 Sep 2017 17:31

Awful game, clueless performance and now Stam is having a go at the fans for booing a negative substitution. He's deluded and starting to look out of his depth.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 23 Sep 2017 17:33

I really don't know what to make of the thinking behind that display. We were so ridiculously static, the front 3 especially

The last time I watched Aluko he was an absolute live wire who didn't give our fb a moments peace. Today he wandered around in central midfield trying and failing Hollywood passes. Just baffling.

And again, last time I watched us, Clement, Popa and Barrow interchanged, moved into space and pulled the Villa defence all over the place. Today Dawson and Hector could barely have had an easier game

As usual we looked solid defensively until we didn't. Midfield knocked it about nicely until they inevitably gave it away. No idea if it was just a terrible day at the office or this is what we should expect

Plus side - Obita made a huge difference shape wise (but reckon he has bust his ankle at the end), McCleary at RWB looked interesting, and Dadi basically won us the point on his own in a very encouraging cameo.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 23 Sep 2017 17:34

John Madejski's Wallet Anyone know what is up with Obita? I didnt see him fall

Went over ankle right at the end. Almost exactly what he did at Fulham last year

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by John Madejski's Wallet » 23 Sep 2017 17:36

It always seems to me that we play better in Stam's preferred system with 3cb's but Stam also doesn't seem to want to play that way.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 23 Sep 2017 17:37

Definitely got out of jail today. One paced, ponderous, uninspiring and to be honest, dull.

I was as unimpressed with the performance as I was with Stam's words after the game. I am no fan of booing, but he surely has to understand the fans want to see exciting football and that taking off top goal scorer and chance creator Kelly for a defender when you're chasing them game is a little bit ridiculous.

Players didn't clap the supporters at the end, nor did they come over to celebrate the goal with Bodvarsson, who by the way, was awesome when he came on.

Weird.

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 23 Sep 2017 17:44

genome Definitely got out of jail today. One paced, ponderous, uninspiring and to be honest, dull.

I was as unimpressed with the performance as I was with Stam's words after the game. I am no fan of booing, but he surely has to understand the fans want to see exciting football and that taking off top goal scorer and chance creator Kelly for a defender when you're chasing them game is a little bit ridiculous.

Players didn't clap the supporters at the end, nor did they come over to celebrate the goal with Bodvarsson, who by the way, was awesome when he came on.

Weird.

Dave Edwards came over and clapped at the end. He comes across as a really nice guy actually.

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 23 Sep 2017 17:45

Very similar to the play-off final - can't really blame the players for having to play a system that is just a joke; totally negative, defensive formation with no obvious outlet going forward. No wonder the players look confused. It reminds me of the quote by Mourinho a few seasons ago when he said that maybe in time there will be a new rule that the team that keeps the ball the longest wins ....

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 23 Sep 2017 17:47

genome

Weird.

Yep no idea what that was about. Seemed a genuine lack of effort or enthusiasm at times as well which is unlike us. As said, Aluko just wandering around the pitch was awful

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 23 Sep 2017 17:50

Mannone 5 at fault for the build up to the goal (i think). Bowled it out to McShane when our entire half was flooded with Hull and there was no break on. We defended it for a while but ultimately conceded.
Gunter 2 awful, negative to the point of telling McShane to slow down and not pass to him when in space. Stood off to allow crosses, involved in the goal. Fuk off.
Blackett

Schmeichel the dog

by Schmeichel the dog » 23 Sep 2017 17:51

Sutekh Well that was awful

In my mind Jaap's team selection cost Reading the points as i feel that if you have a fit striker then you should play that striker and not stick them on the bench.

Playing a ton of wingers up front just seemed to confuse the hell out of the team as they didn't seem to be on the same wavelength or have any understanding.

I do not understand why Aluko is in the team or why he was bought at all. He seems to slow everything down and when he does get a chance the ball misses the goal completely.

He wasnt the only one either, McCleary struggled to get in the game at all and when he did try to make a run the ball went backwards or out to the other side.

Berg was poor, Edwards didnt seem to add anything very much and it's no wonder fans were getting a bit "upset" with things.

And then Jaap says afterwards to stay away if you're going to be negative and tells the fans that he makes the substitution decisions. Well that latter part is obvious because they are so clueless. Ilori for Kelly. Bodvarsson not sent on until late.

And let's remember Bodvarsson has managed 2 goals in about 4 games worth of game time so though he may well not be the answer to the striking issues he appears to be doing his bit on the pitch - more so if you bear in mind his goalscoring record at Wolves.

+1 re: the decision to not to start with a recognised striker.

Yes, we were utter gash for the vast majority of the game but how depressing must it be for the players to play in such a soul-less morgue of an arena, devoid of any atmosphere.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 23 Sep 2017 17:52

Sutekh

I would take a goal every other game any day of the week. 20 minute cameo MOM for me. He gave us something to hit and was a handful for their CBs who had a very easy afternoon up till then.
I`m no big fan of the booing but I understand it fully. Stam`s line ups are truly baffling. you just do not start the game with your only fit striker on the bench. we just look out of shape and clueless.

Finally we can`t go forward with EVERY SINGLE pass, it`s not physically possible.

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by PieEater » 23 Sep 2017 17:58

In before the merge

I thought we were pretty dire against a very poor Hull side. I have an irrational hated for them with their 5-4-1 formation that is pretty well 10-0 most of the time, just negative football, yet somehow we let them in to score with their only shot then in the second half they could of had another.

I'm confused as to what system we play, why Kelly was subbed, why our only striker is on the bench, why Blackett plays at all, why JvdB was playing centre half when Illori was on the bench, why the winning team at Brum where Evans played a blinder causes him to be dropped from the team. I wonder if Stam is just taking the piss. We have a lot of good players and could gel into a really good team but at the moment we just look lost and clueless.

Just a quick mention for the ref, yet again he was shit, falling for even pathetic Hull player falling over and failing to book players for blatant fouls.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 23 Sep 2017 18:05

PieEater In before the merge

I thought we were pretty dire against a very poor Hull side. I have an irrational hated for them with their 5-4-1 formation that is pretty well 10-0 most of the time, just negative football, yet somehow we let them in to score with their only shot then in the second half they could of had another.

I'm confused as to what system we play, why Kelly was subbed, why our only striker is on the bench, why Blackett plays at all, why JvdB was playing centre half when Illori was on the bench, why the winning team at Brum where Evans played a blinder causes him to be dropped from the team. I wonder if Stam is just taking the piss. We have a lot of good players and could gel into a really good team but at the moment we just look lost and clueless.

Just a quick mention for the ref, yet again he was shit, falling for even pathetic Hull player falling over and failing to book players for blatant fouls.

TBF I thought Kelly was shit today. one time he lost possession in the 2nd half and was jogging back. they ended up getting the free kick they nearly broke the crossbar from. maybe Swift would have been a better option.

ps, Where was Bacuna today?

Westwood52
Hob Nob Regular

by Westwood52 » 23 Sep 2017 18:06

Don't agree with Boo Boys (we probably don't pay the players wages-the gate money is not enough),and I have seen us play far worse than today, under the previous three managers, and at least Stam was honest in expressing his annoyance with the booing-far prefer that to the usual stock platitudes.
That said we were totally lacking any edge today and were lucky to get a point. Worryingly the players seem dispirited and intent on passing the busk and blaming others for the teams ineptitude-but that is the modern footballer for you.
IMHO:

Mannone 6: Not at fault for the goal and one good save-his decision making on when to hoof it out and when to pass it, is poor.

Gunter 3: Another poor game, and the usual average performances have just slipped away.Sadly short of G Mac there is no one else putting his position under pressure.
Blackett 4: Come on it was not all bad, and I would prefer him to McShane at CB-he simply is not a creditable LB or LWB.

Moore 7: Usual standards
McShane 5: Struggled on the ball through out, and can so easily be caught out by runners. He use to score a fair few number of headed goals, when he was at Hull-seems to have lost the knack.

Joey 2: Why is he still in the team-Stam is just being obstinate. His efforts on goal are lamentable.
Kelly 7: Apart from giving the ball away a few times, he at least supplied some invention-why substitute him for Ilori-Swift yes, but Ilori, when we are goal down?
Edwards 3: Offers nothing, we now have a Gunter in midfield.Bacuna when fit a far better option.

Macca 3: Disinterested in 1st half-didn't know he was playing-picked it up a bit in the 2nd half-but this last injury has completely negated his drive.
Roy 3: Started OK, then disappeared-he really is a wuss, both physically and mentally.
Alukho 6: Tried hard; he is I think someone who thrives in a good team, but unlike Barrow , cannot get the team going on his own.

Jordan: A genuine LB, who at least offered some width-That injury looks bad.
Ilori: Why was he brought on ?
Bovardson : Shades of Baz Savage-gangly, no control, not particulary good in the air-however a goal makes all the difference.

Ref: Was not that bad-but as usual failed to control the time wasting;which let his performance down big time.

Hull: even worse than us.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 23 Sep 2017 18:08

Presuming Bacuna was injured but genuinely not sure. Game was crying out for a bit of strength and power in the mid

I've actually less of an issue with 'the substitution' as Ilori played well and moved the ball quickly. But VDB who was dreadful should have been pulled rather than Kelly

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 23 Sep 2017 18:35

Snowflake Royal Mannone 5 at fault for the build up to the goal (i think). Bowled it out to McShane when our entire half was flooded with Hull and there was no break on. We defended it for a while but ultimately conceded.
Gunter 2 awful, negative to the point of telling McShane to slow down and not pass to him when in space. Stood off to allow crosses, involved in the goal. Fuk off.

Blackett 4 started ok, but given no options by his teammates. Decided to force it, got frustrated, head went and became a bag of errors. Had to come off
McShane 5 dithered on the ball and involved in the goal
Moore 6 better performance, tried to bring it forward but given no options.
Berg 5 wasted as a LCB lots of errors and some woeful shooting, but did give us some bite and again offered no options.
Kelly 6 tried but so little movement, poor set plays
Edwards 5 utter meh, passenger
Beerens 6 why oh why play the most traditional winger without a striker to aim at!?
Aluko 6 tried, but can't beat an entire team
McCleary 4 awful upfront, better at LWB

Obita 6 better than Blackett
Ilori 7 bizarre sub and a few poor moments, but looks classy
Bodvarsson 9 MotM changed our performance from insipid to average. Actually made their defence work.

Team selection abysmal.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 23 Sep 2017 18:46

If Gunter gets a 2, then not sure how Beerens makes a 6. Thought Aluko and Beerens were our two most disappointing players personally. McCleary redeemed himself a bit second half

I thought Blackett had an ok first half, but lost it after half time for some reason

111 posts