BFTG Millwall

Steve_Upper_West

BFTG Millwall

by Steve_Upper_West » 26 Sep 2017 22:36

That was fun, NOT - still at least we know there is a plan B, wait until we score then bring on a striker - that worked well :?

PS How does Joey get in the team ahead of Bacuna - he was dire this evening.

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: BFTG Millwall

by FiNeRaIn » 26 Sep 2017 22:39

Every team has periods of being complete crap so its slightly too early to panic. That said, so far the people questioning the unbalanced signings this transfer window are being proved right. The team looks a mess. We've had well over a year to master the style of passing/possession football Stam wants and its much like the old Swansea team under Brendan Rodgers. The difference is they were playing with movement, pace, momentum and had people to score goals that opposing teams hated. We don't play with any of those attributes, thats the concerning thing. We actually look to be getting worse from the streams i've seen, can't even imagine how bad it is in person. I'd give Stam until christmas but he's had a significant amount of money to improve the team, albeit not in the right areas, and we look completely useless.

Marcus Crassus

by Marcus Crassus » 26 Sep 2017 22:52

JvB was solid tonight, GMac was less than hopeless. Did you actually go to the game?

Steve_Upper_West

by Steve_Upper_West » 26 Sep 2017 23:02

Marcus Crassus JvB was solid tonight, GMac was less than hopeless. Did you actually go to the game?

'Solid' being the operative word - which probably led to the chants about a 'fat bar steward'

Yes, I was there...... for 85 minutes

Marcus Crassus

by Marcus Crassus » 26 Sep 2017 23:16

There were no such chants from where I was standing. Still I note you dodged commenting on GMac who was again totally anonymous.

Royality creeps In
Hob Nob Regular

by Royality creeps In » 26 Sep 2017 23:24

I keep reading about a "Plan B'
CAN SOMEONE TELL ME WHAT FKING PLAN A IS??? Because I'm dammed sure I don't get it

Even the Milwall fans were chanting "Boring boring Reading"
It was just as tedious as Saturday with the same tactics.

I have to say I am totally bemused at the moment and not even bothered about the Norwich game. I thought I was a die hard but even I am fed up with the pathetic rubbish on display.

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 26 Sep 2017 23:40

I was at the game. Even if we had won tonight I was going to come on here and have a good moan. Tonight's game typified everything that is wrong with our team at the moment. We don't look like a proper football team. The possession is pointless. Whenever we get into attacking areas there is no one in the box. There is no one to play it to. We don't know how to attack teams. And to lose the game from a winning position with just 10 minutes left. We are toothless, we are pointless, we are timid, we are soft, we are just pathetic at the moment.

I don't think Stam is helping either. He creates inconsistency by changing the team so often.
When we stumble across a formula for playing football that looked really good against Villa and Birmingham why not try and continue with that. Why change it up so often? One minute we look like world beaters. The next, we're useless. I think we could have done with Kelly on the pitch tonight.

yuomi

by yuomi » 26 Sep 2017 23:47

Let's get this straight, Stam choked at Wembley last season. I've dwelt a lot on what happened that day and I cannot get away from the fact that we didn't set ourselves up in any way to get a result that day. There was barely any forward motion, no penetration whatsoever and a lot of listless backwards and sideways passing whilst waiting for Huddersfield to come and press, take the ball and threaten. Far from learning from that day, Stam seems to think that is how we should be playing. Gone is any of the incisiveness we showed last season, gone is the zip, enthusiasm, attacking mentality and passion we showed; and all of that can be attributed to Stam.

His substitutions are f*cking bizarre, his tactics are negative, his demeanour is totally transformed from that of the passionate, inspirational leader we saw last term. In short, I think HE'S been left rattled by the playoff defeat more than any of the players and he's projecting it onto them. We have a good squad (minus a striker, and don't get me started on that again). Stam needs to pull himself together and pronto.

Linden Jones' Tash

by Linden Jones' Tash » 26 Sep 2017 23:48

First away game for donkeys years.

Slightly surprised at the change in approach early on, but the lack of vertical attacking intent remains and we don't seem to have an identity from game to game.

I'd also say that what I find strange at them moment is that we have good players, but we are not a good team.

Reading have usually been the opposite, the team was always much better than the individual players, on the whole...

Big test of management ahead

Linden Jones' Tash

by Linden Jones' Tash » 26 Sep 2017 23:51

yuomi Let's get this straight, Stam choked at Wembley last season. I've dwelt a lot on what happened that day and I cannot get away from the fact that we didn't set ourselves up in any way to get a result that day. There was barely any forward motion, no penetration whatsoever and a lot of listless backwards and sideways passing whilst waiting for Huddersfield to come and press, take the ball and threaten. Far from learning from that day, Stam seems to think that is how we should be playing. Gone is any of the incisiveness we showed last season, gone is the zip, enthusiasm, attacking mentality and passion we showed; and all of that can be attributed to Stam.

His substitutions are f*cking bizarre, his tactics are negative, his demeanour is totally transformed from that of the passionate, inspirational leader we saw last term. In short, I think HE'S been left rattled by the playoff defeat more than any of the players and he's projecting it onto them. We have a good squad (minus a striker, and don't get me started on that again). Stam needs to pull himself together and pronto.

You put it more eloquently, but this as well

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 26 Sep 2017 23:51

I thought the support was fantastic away to Millwall tonight. We had some good numbers there. It was good to see so many youngsters. Lots of Teens and early twenties in the crowd kitted up in their designer gear and making lots of noise. There were plenty of blokes who had finished work in London and got down for the game after work still suited up. We had a few of the old'uns as well putting it in for us. The backing of the team was absolutely first class. Having support like that makes me proud to be a Reading fan. Keep it up lads.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 26 Sep 2017 23:54

Are we missing Steven Reid's coaching input?

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 26 Sep 2017 23:55

yuomi Let's get this straight, Stam choked at Wembley last season. I've dwelt a lot on what happened that day and I cannot get away from the fact that we didn't set ourselves up in any way to get a result that day. There was barely any forward motion, no penetration whatsoever and a lot of listless backwards and sideways passing whilst waiting for Huddersfield to come and press, take the ball and threaten. Far from learning from that day, Stam seems to think that is how we should be playing. Gone is any of the incisiveness we showed last season, gone is the zip, enthusiasm, attacking mentality and passion we showed; and all of that can be attributed to Stam.

Absolutely spot on mate.

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 26 Sep 2017 23:55

yuomi Let's get this straight, Stam choked at Wembley last season. I've dwelt a lot on what happened that day and I cannot get away from the fact that we didn't set ourselves up in any way to get a result that day.

One of the saddest days in the history of the club. If we'd have had a go and lost, it would have been disappointing but that's how football goes. The fact we played one of the most negative game plans in the history of playoff finals will always leave a bitter taste in my mouth. We got exactly what we deserved.

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 27 Sep 2017 00:03

RoyalBlue Are we missing Steven Reid's coaching input?

We may well be.

Jackson Corner
Hob Nob Regular

by Jackson Corner » 27 Sep 2017 03:13

FiNeRaIn
yuomi Let's get this straight, Stam choked at Wembley last season. I've dwelt a lot on what happened that day and I cannot get away from the fact that we didn't set ourselves up in any way to get a result that day.

One of the saddest days in the history of the club. If we'd have had a go and lost, it would have been disappointing but that's how football goes. The fact we played one of the most negative game plans in the history of playoff finals will always leave a bitter taste in my mouth. We got exactly what we deserved.

I can see the story in May. Last year Reading were a spot kick away from the prem. They now face life in div 1 an uncertain future bankrupt points deductions and oblivion.

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 27 Sep 2017 03:56

this is bollox

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 27 Sep 2017 05:13

Marcus Crassus JvB was solid tonight, GMac was less than hopeless. Did you actually go to the game?

McCleary looks a shadow of his former self. Just entirely ineffectual. Don't want to see him starting again anytime soon, but the same can be said for a lot of the team. :roll:

VDB was ok I thought. A lot of misplaced passes but I felt got better as the game went on, certainly seemed to be driving us on a bit and was the only one who would take a one touch pass and then instantly make a run.

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 27 Sep 2017 05:55

New chant for Norwich game:

Jaap Stam had a dream to build a football team,
Illori at the back.
No one in attack.
Jip jap Jaap Stam

tilehurstender

by tilehurstender » 27 Sep 2017 05:57

Stil, over 60% possesion. Isnt that what really counts?