Who could replace Stam?

603 posts
Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Theoretical: Sack Stam and replace with ...?

by Ascotexgunner » 03 Oct 2017 20:39

bcubed
muirinho
Sutekh
Mark McGhee might be available once Scotland fail to qualify for the World Cup though.

That's a shout.

Further down the line, but sticking with international managers, do you think Chris Coleman would be in big demand when he finishes up with Wales? Dunno about his scouting skills, but he surely can get a team to believe in themselves, and play for each other.

He knows how to get the best out of Gunter if nothing else

And will probably be available when my lot f*ck up this weekend. :cry:

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 04 Oct 2017 15:26

I have it on good authority from a reliable inside source that we are lining up Glenn Roeder to replace Stam should we get a negative result at Leeds

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 04 Oct 2017 15:43

Ascotexgunner
bcubed
muirinho
That's a shout.

Further down the line, but sticking with international managers, do you think Chris Coleman would be in big demand when he finishes up with Wales? Dunno about his scouting skills, but he surely can get a team to believe in themselves, and play for each other.

He knows how to get the best out of Gunter if nothing else

And will probably be available when my lot f*ck up this weekend. :cry:

If it all goes really pearshaped, both Ireland and Wales will be out. Martin O Neill anybody? [Not for me thanks - you thinkStam is negative, and doesn't give youth a chance? HA - he's got nothing on MON]

finchroyal

by finchroyal » 05 Oct 2017 00:19

David moyes
sam allardyce
david o leary

Tilehurstsouthbank
Hob Nob Regular

by Tilehurstsouthbank » 05 Oct 2017 08:36

John Smith I have it on good authority from a reliable inside source that we are lining up Glenn Roeder to replace Stam should we get a negative result at Leeds

:lol: You are joking right? :shock:

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 05 Oct 2017 08:58

Had a depressing conversation with a Norwich fan I know today. He was at the game saturday but watches Fulham a lot as well.

Thinks Norwich are actually pretty shit, that we are utterly terrible and we're in danger going down and Fulham are "light years ahead of both teams".

I couldn't disagree with any of that. How did it get to this? How have other improved and us, spending a (relative) fortune have regressed so badly?

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 05 Oct 2017 09:11

leon Had a depressing conversation with a Norwich fan I know today. He was at the game saturday but watches Fulham a lot as well.

Thinks Norwich are actually pretty shit, that we are utterly terrible and we're in danger going down and Fulham are "light years ahead of both teams".

I couldn't disagree with any of that. How did it get to this? How have other improved and us, spending a (relative) fortune have regressed so badly?

I would probably take anything he says with the biggest pinch of salt if that's the kind of bloke he is. Or maybe it was double d...

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 05 Oct 2017 09:18

John Smith
leon Had a depressing conversation with a Norwich fan I know today. He was at the game saturday but watches Fulham a lot as well.

I would probably take anything he says with the biggest pinch of salt if that's the kind of bloke he is. Or maybe it was double d...

errr no. We both live near Fulham. He's from Norwich (and supports Norwich) but his kids watch Fulham. - hence he sees them a bit

Is that OK? :|

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 05 Oct 2017 09:19

leon
John Smith

errr no. We both live near Fulham. He's from Norwich (and supports Norwich) but his kids watch Fulham. - hence he sees them a bit

Is that OK? :|

Yes, that's fine. Thank you for clarifying.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 05 Oct 2017 09:23

Something that will probably fully come out in the wash at the end of the season if we don't improve, but my initial feeling is:

a) we invested too much in too many players in generally the wrong areas
b) teams have sussed out how to set-up against us
c) Stam is too stubborn to try an alternative approach
d) our top-scorer is injured

We can't do much about a) and d) right now and c) will solve b), so it's up to Stam to figure it out really.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 05 Oct 2017 09:25

its almost the opposite of what that Fulham fan who came on here said though

Its difficult to compare. Millwall rinsed Leeds who were top at the time, but have since been beaten at home by Barnsley

It looked like Men vs Boys when we played Villa (a quote from their own forum) but they have since won 5 in a row or something whilst we have played utter dog poo in that time. Nobody who went to that game would have predicted the next months results.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 05 Oct 2017 09:36

If Wales failed to qualify for the World Cup and Chris Coleman stepped down would he be an option in the event of Stam departing? Got a very poor track record in club football, would be skeptical.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 05 Oct 2017 10:15

Old Man Andrews If Wales failed to qualify for the World Cup and Chris Coleman stepped down would he be an option in the event of Stam departing? Got a very poor track record in club football, would be skeptical.

I used to watch Fulham a bit in Coleman's day, living near by.

He was pretty popular there and did a good job imo. I think he is certainly a capable club boss

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 05 Oct 2017 10:16

I'm all for giving managers time, but I'm not sure the end result will be worth it - If we play the same style better and achieve a points tally that will get us promoted/in the playoffs I'm still going to find it boring to watch.

If we head into the relegation places and the manager is till too stubborn to put his tactics to one side and adopt a less fancy win at all costs approach then he'll be out in just the same way Brendan Rogers went.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 05 Oct 2017 10:39

Mark Robins is one that maybe goes under the radar somewhat. Seems to have got Coventry playing well despite turmoil and has had good spells at other league clubs on tight budgets. Would probably not be the most expensive option either

Shivvermetimbers

by Shivvermetimbers » 05 Oct 2017 10:41

finchroyal David moyes
sam allardyce
david o leary

Err no thanks

Shivvermetimbers

by Shivvermetimbers » 05 Oct 2017 10:43

"There is no better manager than me", did he really say that !! ... History would suggest otherwise Jaap

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 05 Oct 2017 10:50

I don't want or expect this to happen.

But if it did, Patrick Vieira would be my #1. Linked with Saint Etienne, wants to coach in Europe but Man City are reluctant to let him leave NYCFC and he seems to be happy enough there.

De Boer would be ok in my mind, awful at palace, but we aren't exactly an Allardyce team so a continuation - maybe he could find that balance.

Worst thing we could do would be panic and bring in someone of an entirely different style rather than evolve what we've shown can be successful - but try to find the balance which we don't yet have.

RoyalX

by RoyalX » 05 Oct 2017 11:03

maffff I don't want or expect this to happen.

But if it did, Patrick Vieira would be my #1. Linked with Saint Etienne, wants to coach in Europe but Man City are reluctant to let him leave NYCFC and he seems to be happy enough there.

De Boer would be ok in my mind, awful at palace, but we aren't exactly an Allardyce team so a continuation - maybe he could find that balance.

Worst thing we could do would be panic and bring in someone of an entirely different style rather than evolve what we've shown can be successful - but try to find the balance which we don't yet have.

Not Vieira please, always struck me as someone who thinks he's cleverer than he is with tactics/subs.

NYCFC doing well in spite of him rather than because of him (in my opinion)

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 05 Oct 2017 11:10

reading through the options, think I'm just hoping Stam is able to turn this one around

603 posts