Who could replace Stam?

603 posts
Hound
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Theoretical: Sack Stam and replace with ...?

by Hound » 05 Oct 2017 15:30

John Smith
Hound I think to be honest we’ll get a good idea at Leeds. If we get a repeat of the Millwall/Norwich sh1t show then peoples patience will wear very thin

Hound, you're like the cool, calm and reasonable man that I never was. Can we be friends please?

of course we can

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 05 Oct 2017 19:15

Hound I think to be honest we’ll get a good idea at Leeds. If we get a repeat of the Millwall/Norwich sh1t show then peoples patience will wear very thin

It's a good point. I honestly believe the next game will be pivotal in determining the rest of our season. I know that's an extreme thing to say but I truly believe it. Win and I believe it will spur us on, anything other than that and I think we will meander towards more disappointment, frustration and consequentially the end of Stam's tenure.

* this based on absolutely no scientific fact, study, or deduction, but merely the drunken ramblings of a man, however am happy to be quoted for later episodes of "i told you so" and "you were wrong" and all that bollocks that people here love to engage in.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 05 Oct 2017 19:27

I think it’s more about the performance and the tactics than the result

If we do another 5 shots on goal effort whilst conceding to their first effort on target with that same rubbish combo up front, then for me Stam is on borrowed time

If we lose, but move the ball a lot faster, create chances and use the qualities the squad have then I’ll be reasonably happy

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 06 Oct 2017 16:21

Longhorn1970
Hound
Longhorn1970
How long do you give him to refloat the sinking ship ?

I don’t think it’s as simple as that.

You could say if we don’t get a win in the next 4 but I think that doesn’t really get to the issue

Stam has to learn from the past month. If we are still playing static unadventurous football but scrape a win that’s not really good enough

On the other hand if we start playing well and utilising the players we have but for whatever reason don’t pick up points I’d give him longer

But to answer the q best I can - if things haven’t improved dramatically by end of Nov then I think it’s probably over for him

That's a lot of empty seats until end of November ? difficult one for the board, stick or twist, shit or bust ? ...

Meh, half of them are paid for already and a quarter wouldn't be filled most weeks regardless.

IR's rules for management sacking:
1) Failure to achieve goals after three years
2) Serious danger of relegation to League One between December 10th and end Feb of the current season
3) Failure to show progress in achieving a Championship finish above 15th during tenure
4) Gross misconduct

percy_freeman

by percy_freeman » 06 Oct 2017 18:26

So How are things supposed to change at Leeds? Borrowed time, luvleh!

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 07 Oct 2017 00:48

Snowflake Royal
Longhorn1970
Hound
I don’t think it’s as simple as that.

You could say if we don’t get a win in the next 4 but I think that doesn’t really get to the issue

Stam has to learn from the past month. If we are still playing static unadventurous football but scrape a win that’s not really good enough

On the other hand if we start playing well and utilising the players we have but for whatever reason don’t pick up points I’d give him longer

But to answer the q best I can - if things haven’t improved dramatically by end of Nov then I think it’s probably over for him

That's a lot of empty seats until end of November ? difficult one for the board, stick or twist, shit or bust ? ...

Meh, half of them are paid for already and a quarter wouldn't be filled most weeks regardless.

2) Serious danger of relegation to League One between December 10th and end Feb of the current season
3) Failure to show progress in achieving a Championship finish above 15th during tenure
4) Gross misconduct

What was your views on Rodgers?

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 07 Oct 2017 08:02

Well think we have enough for a poll....

Sack Stam and replace with.

a) three screwdrivers, a sink plunger, a collection of spanners (all the same size) and a wood plane that your grandmother gave you when your grandad went of to Rhyl with a sailor.

b) a cardboard box containing your collection of your old football magazines (incl. that forgotten naughty mag that accidentally got thrown in there in a panic), two pieces of jigsaw puzzle that you were looking for last xmas when your mother in law came round to stay for 2 weeks and an inordinate amount of string

c) a well worn collection of vinyl (mainly Genesis but some early Kraftwerk, a bit of proto punk and that Bryan Adams record you bought to impress your bird that you had a sensitive side back in 1991), that you stacked in the attic when your missus wouldn't let you clog up the living space with a new record player because, apparently, "you never play them anyway"

d) Ian Royal

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 07 Oct 2017 10:08

leon
Snowflake Royal
Longhorn1970

4) Gross misconduct

2)

But I was a little surprised by the timing. He did almost nothing right.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 08 Oct 2017 09:34

Graham Potter who is currently managing in Sweden. Former Royal too!

He currently has bigger things on his hands!

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 09 Oct 2017 09:23

Snowflake Royal IR's rules for management sacking:
4) Gross misconduct
5) Ian Royal
updated for you, because IR's rules have to have an IR option.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 09 Oct 2017 09:25

Snowflake Royal
leon
Snowflake Royal Meh, half of them are paid for already and a quarter wouldn't be filled most weeks regardless.

4) Gross misconduct

2)

But I was a little surprised by the timing. He did almost nothing right.
Possibly a little of 1 and 3 as well since he seemed to suggest he could not achieve the goals without more funding from Sir John after mismanaging his transfer funds on the expectation that more would be forthcoming.

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 09 Oct 2017 12:52

Sutekh Well think we have enough for a poll....

Sack Stam and replace with.

a) three screwdrivers, a sink plunger, a collection of spanners (all the same size) and a wood plane that your grandmother gave you when your grandad went of to Rhyl with a sailor.

b) a cardboard box containing your collection of your old football magazines (incl. that forgotten naughty mag that accidentally got thrown in there in a panic), two pieces of jigsaw puzzle that you were looking for last xmas when your mother in law came round to stay for 2 weeks and an inordinate amount of string

c) a well worn collection of vinyl (mainly Genesis but some early Kraftwerk, a bit of proto punk and that Bryan Adams record you bought to impress your bird that you had a sensitive side back in 1991), that you stacked in the attic when your missus wouldn't let you clog up the living space with a new record player because, apparently, "you never play them anyway"

d) Ian Royal

Would have gone for option 3 if there was some PFM and Gong in there too but as it is I will go with option 4

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 09 Oct 2017 15:26

Anyone who thinks Warnock is a better option than Stam, is almost certainly insane,

^everything that is wrong with modern football, and indeed reading fans, right there^

The Royal Forester
Hob Nob Regular

by The Royal Forester » 09 Oct 2017 19:44

Maneki Neko
Anyone who thinks Warnock is a better option than Stam, is almost certainly insane,

^everything that is wrong with modern football, and indeed reading fans, right there^

Delete "almost certainly" and replace with "definitely".

bluerinse

by bluerinse » 09 Oct 2017 21:17

Now that Wales are out of the World Cup I hope the club seriously consider Chris Coleman as the new manager, should they decided to get rid of Stam, as I think he would do a very good job.

PistolPete
Hob Nob Regular

by PistolPete » 09 Oct 2017 22:15

bluerinse Now that Wales are out of the World Cup I hope the club seriously consider Chris Coleman as the new manager, should they decided to get rid of Stam, as I think he would do a very good job.

Now that Coleman has failed with Wales...

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 10 Oct 2017 09:58

HeinzGuderian
bluerinse Now that Wales are out of the World Cup I hope the club seriously consider Chris Coleman as the new manager, should they decided to get rid of Stam, as I think he would do a very good job.

He failed as a club manager. Completely different to managing a country.

His signings were awful.

Lazy suggestion.

Spot on. Good post HeinzGuderian.

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 10 Oct 2017 09:58

The Royal Forester
Maneki Neko

Delete "almost certainly" and replace with "definitely".

no.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 10 Oct 2017 16:50

Well i suppose if 30 years out of date brutal short-termism is your thing.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 10 Oct 2017 17:34

Definitely think, and maybe this is with the horrors of the Norwich second half a fading memory, that it would be silly not to give Stam some more time to sort things out

I’m really hoping he has used the break wisely and been honest about how bad we’ve been and what needs to improve

603 posts