Jordan Obita out for the season

genome
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Jordan Obita out for the season

by genome » 12 Oct 2017 10:58

John Smith
genome And what options are those?

I'd say stick Ilori on the left and go 4 at the back or even Gunter at LB which he's done a couple of times and McCleary as a RWB in a five

I'm glad you're not the manager, then.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 12 Oct 2017 11:10

genome
John Smith
genome And what options are those?

I'd say stick Ilori on the left and go 4 at the back or even Gunter at LB which he's done a couple of times and McCleary as a RWB in a five

Are you happy with the current manager's selections then?

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 12 Oct 2017 11:15

John Smith
genome
John Smith I'd say stick Ilori on the left and go 4 at the back or even Gunter at LB which he's done a couple of times and McCleary as a RWB in a five

Not with regards to the striker situation, but defensively the team selection has been okay. I would just like to see a proper left-back there and we should give Richards a go. All I know is, Ilori is not the alternative to selecting Blackett as a full-back. You might as well just play Blackett there.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 12 Oct 2017 11:34

Pretty terrible news.

I'm not especially worried at the thought of Blackett at left back or even left wing back (he's very adventurous and has a great cross on him) but it seriously reduces our flexibility and options for rotation.

Options as I see them:
Blackett at left back - we all know about his poor concentration but he's capable of playing very well and that's the sort of thing he'll cut out with more experience. Very likely to be first choice.
Richards - fairly good player, but he's not likely to be a revelation. Best case scenario is that he keeps us ticking over.
Quinn - needs him to get fit and stay fit.
Gunter left, Bacuna right - means we miss Bacuna in midfield but we still have Kelly, Swift, and Edwards.
Gunter left, Watson right - probably better option than playing Richards. Needs Watson to stay fit. Last I heard he wasn't far away.
McIntyre or Axel at left back - more defensive than Blackett. Better at CB.
McCleary RWB, Gunter LWB - plausible. Needs McCleary in form. Would limit us in other ways though.
Harriott LWB - played there against Fulham and didn't look good. Might improve given time.
Popa WB - he's 170cm and hasn't demonstrated any defensive ability. Big gamble.
Ilori LB - why?!

Tilehurstsouthbank
Hob Nob Regular

by Tilehurstsouthbank » 12 Oct 2017 11:39

genome
John Smith
genome

Not with regards to the striker situation, but defensively the team selection has been okay. I would just like to see a proper left-back there and we should give Richards a go. All I know is, Ilori is not the alternative to selecting Blackett as a full-back. You might as well just play Blackett there.

From what I've seen of Ilori, he looks more comfortable on the ball that Blackett so he might be worth a go at LB/LWB. I like Blackett but sometimes he looks like the defensive incarnation of Bas Savage (Bambi on ice).

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 12 Oct 2017 11:54

Why are you all dismissing the option of Ilori at left back? He's played there before for us when he came on against Fulham at home in the league last season and looked very comfortable.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 12 Oct 2017 11:57

SCIAG Pretty terrible news.

I'm not especially worried at the thought of Blackett at left back or even left wing back (he's very adventurous and has a great cross on him) but it seriously reduces our flexibility and options for rotation.

I think this is certainly the point. Blackett does a pretty good job most of the time imo, but whilst he does come forward nicely and delivers a good cross, he is a bit limited to that little Cruyff turn/come inside thing he does. Norwich for example spotted this very early and he kept running into trouble with it and losing the ball. Can't see him beating a man on the outside like Obita can (i.e. how he got injured)

I don't think we'll change anything in the way of formation tbh. There may be times when Richards will play ahead of him for rotation purposes, and maybe times when Blackett will be subbed if we put a winger there chasing the game.

Tilehurstsouthbank
Hob Nob Regular

by Tilehurstsouthbank » 12 Oct 2017 13:52

John Smith Why are you all dismissing the option of Ilori at left back? He's played there before for us when he came on against Fulham at home in the league last season and looked very comfortable.

Er, I wasn't.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 12 Oct 2017 14:40

John Smith Why are you all dismissing the option of Ilori at left back? He's played there before for us when he came on against Fulham at home in the league last season and looked very comfortable.

Really? My memory has it that he got torn a new one time and time again.

Could be wrong though, was sufficiently plastered.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 12 Oct 2017 14:45

My nerves were so shot, I have almost no memory of the anything in that semi-final from Swift's miss through to the final whistle.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 12 Oct 2017 14:47

genome My nerves were so shot, I have almost no memory of the anything in that semi-final from Swift's miss through to the final whistle.

Please pay attention genome. Grab yourself a coffee or something fella.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 12 Oct 2017 14:52

Wasn't at that game.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 12 Oct 2017 15:29

Lori was BAAAAD at left back that day

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 12 Oct 2017 17:57

Ilori is a centreback. If you want to play a CB on the left, stick with Blackett.

I'd play Ilori over Blackett at CB any day. So with Moore missing Leeds he needs to play CB. I mean, if you're saying Blackett is playing too poorly to be LB you'd be mad to move him to CB to switch Ilori to the left. Dropping him entirely for Axel at CB or LB would be a hugely disproportionate and morale destroying gamble too.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 12 Oct 2017 18:03

Moore missing Leeds :?

Tilehurstsouthbank
Hob Nob Regular

by Tilehurstsouthbank » 13 Oct 2017 09:11

Hound Moore missing Leeds :?

Does Ian have new information the rest of us aren't privy too? Is Moore injured?

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 13 Oct 2017 12:22

Moore isn't missing Leeds AFAIK, but he's one yellow card away from missing the next game.

Tilehurstsouthbank
Hob Nob Regular

by Tilehurstsouthbank » 13 Oct 2017 14:11

genome Moore isn't missing Leeds AFAIK, but he's one yellow card away from missing the next game.

That's what I thought.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 13 Oct 2017 16:17

whoops, I thought I'd heard that he was suspended and saw someone's suggested line up without him.

My mistake, :oops: