Thames Valley Whites (Leeds United Supporters Club)

oldebiscuit

Re: Thames Valley Whites (Leeds United Supporters Club)

by oldebiscuit » 12 Oct 2017 21:43

From Despair To Where?
oldebiscuit
John Smith I lived in Leeds and it's one of the best cities in the UK. York is a great city, Harrogate is a great city. Yorkshire is probably the best county in the UK and I would much prefer to live there than overpriced, overpopulated and overrated London.

By the way, Yorkshire is not a county in the same way that Wessex is not a county. Yorkshire it is a collection of 4 counties namely, West Yorkshire, South Yorkshire, North Yorkshire and the imaginatively named Humberside.

Hate to be pedantic but East Riding hasn't been called Humberside for over 20 years.

Yes, i am aware, but i am trying to make a point here, and as a football fan, throw in a teaspoonful of insult just for good measure.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 12 Oct 2017 21:50

You missed out Teeside which was part of North Yorkshire.

East Riding's quite nice, as is most of Yorkshire. I love Yorkshire, the only thing that spoils it is the pig ignorant indigenous population.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 13 Oct 2017 16:23

mot
John Smith I lived in Leeds and it's one of the best cities in the UK. York is a great city, Harrogate is a great city. Yorkshire is probably the best county in the UK and I would much prefer to live there than overpriced, overpopulated and overrated London.

where the folk say what they like and like what they say.

This isn't a virtue. Tact and politeness are.

mot

by mot » 13 Oct 2017 17:35

Well the offer is there if any Reading fans would genuinely like to travel to with us then they would be more than welcome and at an affordable rate too. :D

finchroyal

by finchroyal » 13 Oct 2017 18:14

mot Well the offer is there if any Reading fans would genuinely like to travel to with us then they would be more than welcome and at an affordable rate too. :D

Any decent curry houses south of leeds wakefield on the way back home MOT

mot

by mot » 13 Oct 2017 20:00

Depends, are you staying over or looking for something off the M1 as you head home?

mot

by mot » 13 Oct 2017 20:22

finchroyal
mot Well the offer is there if any Reading fans would genuinely like to travel to with us then they would be more than welcome and at an affordable rate too. :D

Try Red Chilli 2 jin Wakefield, excellent food and can be found at 148-150 Kirkgate, Wakefield WF1 1TU,
Used this a few times myself but be warned the curries are hot!!

finchroyal

by finchroyal » 13 Oct 2017 20:29

mot
finchroyal

Try Red Chilli 2 jin Wakefield, excellent food and can be found at 148-150 Kirkgate, Wakefield WF1 1TU,
Used this a few times myself but be warned the curries are hot!!

Thank you got the lad with me ononon

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 16 Oct 2017 13:50

How was your day out mot?

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 16 Oct 2017 14:15

oldebiscuit
From Despair To Where?
oldebiscuit
By the way, Yorkshire is not a county in the same way that Wessex is not a county. Yorkshire it is a collection of 4 counties namely, West Yorkshire, South Yorkshire, North Yorkshire and the imaginatively named Humberside.

Hate to be pedantic but East Riding hasn't been called Humberside for over 20 years.

Yes, i am aware, but i am trying to make a point here, and as a football fan, throw in a teaspoonful of insult just for good measure.

Just to be clear - you're allowed to be pedantic but we're not?

Righto then.

Dave the rave

by Dave the rave » 17 Oct 2017 14:58

This turned bitter didn't it.

I used to work in Leeds on and off for a while. I thought it was a great City but bloody windy.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 17 Oct 2017 15:49

Dave the rave This turned bitter didn't it.

I used to work in Leeds on and off for a while. I thought it was a great City but bloody windy.
Probably linked to that Curry house.

WAZZOCK

by WAZZOCK » 17 Oct 2017 17:51

Mot demonstrating his party trick of going missing after his team lose :lol:

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 17 Oct 2017 18:14

Yeeeeah, he's not offering lifts to Leeds on here now is he

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 17 Oct 2017 20:52

Don’t mind people defending where they live/come from tbh - much prefer that to people who think they are being clever by slating wherever they live

In saying that, never ‘Got’ Leeds. Didn’t like it much at all. But like Sheffield and really like York

All that guff about northerners being friendly is nonsense as well. Maybe to each other but hear a Southern accent and in general they become chippy, rude and generally unfriendly in your company in my experience

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 17 Oct 2017 22:06

Not all Northerners are unfriendly. I've found Scousers to be open, warm, friendly and very community spirited, completely at odds with the stereotypical image of them being a bunch of workshy, aggressive petty criminals, and the polar opposite of the insular, surly oafs found further east along the M62 corridor.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 18 Oct 2017 07:22

Sure that’s true, and of course it’s not all northern folk

Have had a number of experiences of people form up there who refused to talk to me because of my accent, inc someone who admitted to me as such but later became a good mate

Proper chip on the shoulder stuff

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 18 Oct 2017 08:05

I think the people are the product of their environment. With Yorkshire, most of the large towns and cities are industrial and situated in valleys so they have a hemmed in and claustrophobic feel to them.

I compare it to Liverpool which is flat and coastal and it just has a much greater feeling of openness and space. I can see the Anglican Cathedral from the end of my street. It's 5 miles away. Drive along the Waterfront and you have this wide, 6 lane boulevard flanked by old and new. Drive through Leeds and you have the M627 and the loop road which are all underpasses and concrete and it hacks its way through the middle of the city centre like a knife wound.

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 18 Oct 2017 08:35

When we played Man United in the cup I saw quite a few messages on here about how people liked Manchester.

I've stayed there about 6 times for games + other things and I'd probably say it's my most disliked City in England. It's dirty, I've never felt safe there and the Manchester accent does my head in.

Never been to Leeds despite GF being sort of from there (Wakefield), been to Sheffield twice for games against United/Wednesday. Can't remember it too much.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 18 Oct 2017 08:48

I like Manchester as a place go out in but having lived there, it's not the safest place. On the local news, there's a report of a knifing in Manchester just about every day. Mancs are quite charismatic but incredibly arrogant.

Liverpool has it's problems but with it being a major port, most of it revolves around organised crime. If you're not involved, you're unlikely to be directly affected by it. It's easily my favourite city in the North.