MATCHWATCH : Sheffield United (a) sponsored by one swallow does not a summer make

strap
Hob Nob Regular

Re: MATCHWATCH : Sheffield United (a) sponsored by one swallow does not a summer make

by strap » 21 Oct 2017 16:20

lightning strikes 5 at the back is shit, doesn't work, the wing backs don't offer enough going forward, the midfield and attack are always outnumbered and isolated.

All the moaning about not having a striker is bollocks, wouldn't make any difference as the system doesn't make any chances.

We haven't played consistently well since middle of last season when we were playing 4-2-3-1.

At the start of the season we played one game 4-3-3 with swift and then Clement playing as a false 9 and we were brilliant. Why the oxf*rd hasn't he tried that again.

I still support Stam and like the patient possession style but five at the back has to stop.

Gillingham W 2-0 @ 4-4-2
Aston Villa W 2-1 @ 4-2-3-1
Millwall W 3-1 @ 4-2-3-1
Birmingham City W 2-0 @ 3-5-2
Leeds Utd W 1-0 @ 4-4-2

No wins playing 4-6-0 or 5-5-0. Stam's time is up.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

Re: MATCHWATCH : Sheffield United (a) sponsored by one swallow does not a summer make

by windermereROYAL » 21 Oct 2017 16:21

2-1 scoreline looked closer than it was.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 21 Oct 2017 16:22

NewCorkSeth
Hound
NewCorkSeth Who knew having a link between midfield and attack with a player like Swift would make a difference... :roll:

Yeah we all recognised that - but he hasn’t been fit

No one else quite does it as well as him when he is on form

Oh I recognise he hasnt been fit. I was more commenting on the formation change brought about by his introduction. We couldnt have replicated that with any other player?

Fair enough - agree though

Don’t need it so much if you go 442, or have a big man up front, but really do with that front 3

Clement maybe is the closest to Swift or maybe Kelly, but neither have been that impressive this year bar the odd performance

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 21 Oct 2017 16:24

windermereROYAL 2-1 scoreline looked closer than it was.

Tbf that’s quite often the case away. At least we stayed in the game, didn’t collapse and gave ourselves a chance

I don’t think we’ll win games this year without Bod or Yann starting. Swift is a big bonus if (and it’s a big if) he can find his best form

Monk must be under a lot of pressure at Boro. Next Saturday is a big game for both managers

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 21 Oct 2017 16:31

lightning strikes 5 at the back is shit, doesn't work, the wing backs don't offer enough going forward, the midfield and attack are always outnumbered and isolated.

All the moaning about not having a striker is bollocks, wouldn't make any difference as the system doesn't make any chances.

We haven't played consistently well since middle of last season when we were playing 4-2-3-1.

At the start of the season we played one game 4-3-3 with swift and then Clement playing as a false 9 and we were brilliant. Why the oxf*rd hasn't he tried that again.

I still support Stam and like the patient possession style but five at the back has to stop.

There is nothing wrong with three central defenders and two wing backs - which can be a very attacking formation. The problem is that it does not work without a hold up striker - or possibly two strikers working as a pair.

Otherwise, however good the wing backs are and even if they are putting great crosses into the box there is no one to get on to the ball.

And so if you have no strikers you have to adapt and in this I would agree that something like 4-2-3-1 would be preferable but why not at least give Smith as a chance up front as the "one". The failure to do this - even for one half at 0-2 puts me firmly in the Stam out brigade. I have always given managers a chance and never wanted one sacked before but this cannot continue.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 21 Oct 2017 16:33

Hound
NewCorkSeth
Hound
Yeah we all recognised that - but he hasn’t been fit

No one else quite does it as well as him when he is on form

Oh I recognise he hasnt been fit. I was more commenting on the formation change brought about by his introduction. We couldnt have replicated that with any other player?

Fair enough - agree though

Don’t need it so much if you go 442, or have a big man up front, but really do with that front 3

Clement maybe is the closest to Swift or maybe Kelly, but neither have been that impressive this year bar the odd performance

I dont think anyone has impressed this year bar the odd performance. We dont have the players for a 4-4-2 so if we work with what he have the 4-3-2-1 (or 4-2-3-1 as some write it) is the best we can do.

Even with a big man up front I would prefer that formation as it gives Swift (or any AMC) the freedom to cause trouble if left unmarked. If Yann were playing he would undoubtedly draw defenders to him giving us more options on the attack.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 21 Oct 2017 16:36

How much longer does Stam get?

lightning strikes

by lightning strikes » 21 Oct 2017 16:39

strap

Gillingham W 2-0 @ 4-4-2
Millwall W 3-1 @ 4-2-3-1
Leeds Utd W 1-0 @ 4-4-2

Villa game was 4-3-3 with false 9.

RG7Fan

by RG7Fan » 21 Oct 2017 16:43

Royal_jimmy How much longer does Stam get?

Maybe if we had a fully fit squad it would be better, so he is a bit unlucky with that. However one burning question, why bring a striker to warm the bench (Smith) and then not play him?

Oilroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by Oilroyal » 21 Oct 2017 16:53

It’ll take a massive turn-around for me to get fully behind Stam again. I’d be amazed if he’s still here in November because according to him, he wants a premier league job!!!!

Jack Celliers
Hob Nob Regular

by Jack Celliers » 21 Oct 2017 16:55

Royal_jimmy How much longer does Stam get?

He'll be gone very soon.

surrounded by saints

by surrounded by saints » 21 Oct 2017 17:00

Isn't it about time Tim Dellor asked Jaap if he regrets selling and farming out most of our strikers ?

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 21 Oct 2017 17:01

Oilroyal It’ll take a massive turn-around for me to get fully behind Stam again. I’d be amazed if he’s still here in November because according to him, he wants a premier league job!!!!

He can have one.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 21 Oct 2017 17:06

Win v Middlesbrough or bust for Stam

lightning strikes

by lightning strikes » 21 Oct 2017 17:09

andrew1957

There is nothing wrong with three central defenders and two wing backs - which can be a very attacking formation. The problem is that it does not work without a hold up striker - or possibly two strikers working as a pair.

Otherwise, however good the wing backs are and even if they are putting great crosses into the box there is no one to get on to the ball.

And so if you have no strikers you have to adapt and in this I would agree that something like 4-2-3-1 would be preferable but why not at least give Smith as a chance up front as the "one". The failure to do this - even for one half at 0-2 puts me firmly in the Stam out brigade. I have always given managers a chance and never wanted one sacked before but this cannot continue.

Yep agree, 5 at back can be great if wing backs are allowed to bomb on and have quality but ours stay too deep and don't offer options.

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 21 Oct 2017 17:19

Depressing reading

strap
Hob Nob Regular

by strap » 21 Oct 2017 17:22

lightning strikes
strap

Gillingham W 2-0 @ 4-4-2
Millwall W 3-1 @ 4-2-3-1
Leeds Utd W 1-0 @ 4-4-2

Villa game was 4-3-3 with false 9.

Which is actually 4-6-0.

strap
Hob Nob Regular

by strap » 21 Oct 2017 17:23

HeinzGuderian In the jockey in Sheffield.

Stam has no clue away from home. Attack us and actually play forward and were oxf*rd.

Alan Pardew.

Been saying that for a few weeks now.

Jackson Corner
Hob Nob Regular

by Jackson Corner » 21 Oct 2017 17:26

Off the top of my head that is at least The third game this season we have had one shot on target. You are not going to win many games with stats like that. Make no mistake we are in serious trouble this season.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 21 Oct 2017 17:28

strap
HeinzGuderian In the jockey in Sheffield.

Stam has no clue away from home. Attack us and actually play forward and were oxf*rd.

Alan Pardew.

Been saying that for a few weeks now.

We beat a team who were in the top 4 away last week and this week beat Brizzle 3-0

No matter how much you whinge on here, I very much doubt he will be going anywhere for a while yet

There is plenty of pressure now for next weeks game though - our home form has been crap this year and needs to improve rapidly