7%
Ian Royal
7%

Total votes: 239
Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: In or Out?

by Snowflake Royal » 16 Oct 2017 17:12

Sanguine I've not followed this thread, but I'd just like to say that anyone seriously questioning Stam's position, just 11 league games after a playoff final (in a season when mid-table safety would have been a success) is absolutely fcuking nuts.

Mid-table safety has to be a failure given our spending and position last season. A tolerable one, admittedly. Either way you're right that it's bonkers to be talking about a departure so soon.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 16 Oct 2017 18:48

I wanted him gone but that Leeds result made me just want give him 2 more games. If he sets up and plays like that, and avoids the tippy happy, sideways passing then back to keeper b-llocks, then I'd give a bit longer to change it. But persist with that dutch rubbish style and goodbye.

LWJ
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Hobnob Prediction League Champion 2011/2012, 2020/2021

by LWJ » 16 Oct 2017 20:13

Snowflake Royal
Sanguine I've not followed this thread, but I'd just like to say that anyone seriously questioning Stam's position, just 11 league games after a playoff final (in a season when mid-table safety would have been a success) is absolutely fcuking nuts.

Mid-table safety has to be a failure given our spending and position last season. A tolerable one, admittedly. Either way you're right that it's bonkers to be talking about a departure so soon.

Re-read his post he suggested that for last year, not this.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 16 Oct 2017 20:22

LWJ
Snowflake Royal

I think it could be read either way, but that'd make much more sense, so cool.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 17 Oct 2017 08:38

LWJ
Snowflake Royal

Yep, that's what I was getting at. We unexpectedly made the playoffs last year, and on that basis Stam's position is now being talked about, just 11 game into this season. Mental. I'm beginning to hate football. If we only finish 12th this season, so what? The football is good. When did football, at Reading's level, become about the Premier League?

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 17 Oct 2017 08:45

I kind of agree Sanguine. But to be fair I don't think that was really the feel of most of the fans in the stadium. People on the net just tend to be more extreme with their opinions

I certianly didn't want him sacked, but was starting to feel that would be the inevitable outcome if he didn't start to become more flexible and ditch the failing front 3 of Aluko, Beerens and McCleary. And signs are he has done that

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 17 Oct 2017 09:34

Sanguine The football is good.

Have you watched us at all this season?

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 17 Oct 2017 09:35

genome

Yes. The football is infinitely better than most of what we watched under Adkins, Brian (second time around), and Clarke.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 17 Oct 2017 09:43

Sanguine
genome

Yes. The football is infinitely better than most of what we watched under Adkins, Brian (second time around), and Clarke.

Well, that's a low bar. Many, many fans think Stam's style is also awful.

I'm not in the Stam Out brigade by the way, but I have been getting frustrated with how poor the football has been, and have been imploring him to change it. Big improvement on Saturday, so let's hope that continues. But until then, the football has certainly not been "good".

If his side played an enterprising & exciting style last year and this year, I would wager there would be no talk of him leaving whatsoever.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 17 Oct 2017 09:46

genome Well, that's a low bar. Many, many fans think Stam's style is also awful.

I'm not in the Stam Out brigade by the way, but I have been getting frustrated with how poor the football has been, and have been imploring him to change it. Big improvement on Saturday, so let's hope that continues. But until then, the football has certainly not been "good".

If his side played an enterprising & exciting style last year and this year, I would wager there would be no talk of him leaving whatsoever.

Well I like it. Sure, we could do more in the final third, but then we've been missing the spearhead of our front-line all season. That's where I'd criticise Stam, we haven't signed a good enough forward. That said, I see potential in both Bodvarsson and Aluko. I don't get Roy Beerens at all. He must be tearing it up in training.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 17 Oct 2017 16:01

See Leicester have sacked Shakespeare

Prob a good job for Jaap it wasn’t Leicester’s owners in charge of Reading

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 17 Oct 2017 19:05

Sanguine
LWJ
Snowflake Royal Mid-table safety has to be a failure given our spending and position last season. A tolerable one, admittedly. Either way you're right that it's bonkers to be talking about a departure so soon.

Yep, that's what I was getting at. We unexpectedly made the playoffs last year, and on that basis Stam's position is now being talked about, just 11 game into this season. Mental. I'm beginning to hate football. If we only finish 12th this season, so what? The football is good. When did football, at Reading's level, become about the Premier League?

In case it wasn't clear enough, one humbly begs your forgiveness for misinterpreting you.

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 17 Oct 2017 21:44

Hound See Leicester have sacked Shakespeare

True

And it wasn't looking good up to the Leeds result despite many here saying it would be unthinkable

No progress after last season, whether or not 3rd was better than expected, no apparent return on significant (for us) investment, poor entertainment value and falling crowds (actual turning up not official). I still think he's vulnerable

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 18 Oct 2017 03:52

bcubed
Hound See Leicester have sacked Shakespeare

True

And it wasn't looking good up to the Leeds result despite many here saying it would be unthinkable

No progress after last season, whether or not 3rd was better than expected, no apparent return on significant (for us) investment, poor entertainment value and falling crowds (actual turning up not official). I still think he's vulnerable

The only way that will change is if we start picking up wins. I just feel that this result may give the team the boost it needs to spur them on and get them.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 21 Oct 2017 17:17

Lose next week and I think he might be gone.

Anyone who enjoys this football needs their head examined.

Oilroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by Oilroyal » 21 Oct 2017 17:28

Enough is enough it's time.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 21 Oct 2017 17:30

leon Lose next week and I think he might be gone.

Anyone who enjoys this football needs their head examined.

Won’t happen. We won last week in a tough game

We need our strikers fit and when that happens I reckon he’ll get 3 or 4 games to sort it out from there, which I think he will

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 21 Oct 2017 17:40

Whoever loses between us and Boro next week sacks their manager. If a draw then both get sacked.

Any less than 6 points from these next 2 and he's out

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 21 Oct 2017 17:47

Royal_jimmy Whoever loses between us and Boro next week sacks their manager. If a draw then both get sacked.

So we beat Boro and draw with Forest and he’ll get the sack?

Do you actually believe that?

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 21 Oct 2017 17:49

Royal_jimmy

If you really believe that you really are a plum.

504 posts