BFTG - Middlesbrough

155 posts
Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: BFTG - Middlesbrough

by Royal Rother » 29 Oct 2017 09:28

Jackson Corner Are the players so brain washed into going backwards they can't take it upon themselves to go forward?

Quite simply, yes.

If every training session you take part in, every “classroom” session you attend, every pre match and half time talk you listen to is repeating the message “keep the ball, if nothing is on go back, the opposition can’t score if they haven’t got the ball etc. etc.” then it’s going to be really hard to shake that off.

A new manager will quickly wipe all that crap out of their minds and the players will love him for it.

It’s a great opportunity for someone new to come in and get the players on side.

Can’t happen soon enough.

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 29 Oct 2017 09:42

So would you go for an English manager or a foreign one?

A foreign one is likely to have more or less the same idea about keeping the ball, or at least about the general style of play.

If it's an English one, who would it be, bearing in mind you need to be realistic and accept nobody is going to walk out of a job at a bigger or better placed club to come here.

mad79

by mad79 » 29 Oct 2017 09:46

Yet another game we offered absolute nothing in. No one talking to each other that’s why Ilori has a gash. Happened again in the second half with berg and Blackett. Could not even leave the ground a minute early as the new club stewards shutting the doors in the east stand. You will stay and see more

Fox Talbot
Hob Nob Regular

by Fox Talbot » 29 Oct 2017 09:49

With Seth on this mainly. Thought we were the bettter side first half, only down due to JVBs customary howler. Still in the game at until second goal despite injury disruptions. We're getting beat not hammered which is a small consolation. Unlike last season luck has not been on our side. Or AAH.

Smith was almost there with a couple of chances and did make some great runs.

But the whole thing is hugely BORING and DISPIRITING. Only a sense of duty keeps me going and that's running out. I'd expect STam to get us mid table ish by New Year and if he doesn't he a goner. First step get Beerens and JVB out!

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 29 Oct 2017 10:28

leon
tidus_mi2 My opinion is, give him a chance to go with a near fully fit squad, obviously Obita is out for the season but providing we get no more injuries, we'll eventually get our players back, most before the January window I believe. If he can pull us away from the relegation zone then stick with but I would hold on and re-evaluate closer to the January window.

By January at this rate we really will be gone.

There is no indication we are going to improve - which players coming back from injury will improve a side that has absolutely no idea how to implement the managers instructions?

Yann? Maybe, but he has to get the ball and this team is utterly dysfunctional I'm actually now not sure he's going to help.

I honestly think we're fcuked.

Agreed

The owners must be thinking the same and that the only way to arrest this slump is to change manager and quick
Lose on Tuesday and I think they'll say farewel

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 29 Oct 2017 10:45

leon
tidus_mi2 My opinion is, give him a chance to go with a near fully fit squad, obviously Obita is out for the season but providing we get no more injuries, we'll eventually get our players back, most before the January window I believe. If he can pull us away from the relegation zone then stick with but I would hold on and re-evaluate closer to the January window.

By January at this rate we really will be gone.

There is no indication we are going to improve - which players coming back from injury will improve a side that has absolutely no idea how to implement the managers instructions?

Yann? Maybe, but he has to get the ball and this team is utterly dysfunctional I'm actually now not sure he's going to help.

I honestly think we're fcuked.

Soz Leon but I disagree. A fit Yann would completely turn this team around. We are actually creating a lot of chances just not finishing any of them. All our wing play has been largely pointless for any game without Bodvarson. Having Yann back would change that.

Of the other injured players I would say Bacuna, Evans and Bodvarson coming back would be good for a start.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 29 Oct 2017 10:49

Yann will improve things and did in his time on the pitch

But we need to learn to play without him. We also didn’t get too many decent crosses in as it was, and for me the biggest failings in the side are the two wingers at the moment

Get Barrow back in immediately and put in Popa as well. Aluko and Beerens have been poor and don’t deserve another game at the moment. Smith to start up front against Forest with Yann on at 60 mins

Best chance we have imo

rob_dawson

by rob_dawson » 29 Oct 2017 10:56

This thread and some of the opinions really do sum up modern football fans for me.

Many on here and in the stands jizzed themselves when JS was announced, that Reading could attract a big named manager, capable of doing deals and possibly attracting players, sharing his knowledge.

If I recall correctly, his first season we just wanted to stabalise and push towards the top 6 of the table. Instead he broke every pundit (and every fan's) prediction by getting us all the way to the final. It wasn't the most exciting football but we exceed all expectations.

We're now 14 games in, have beaten, Villa, Birmingham and Leeds. We have drawn three and lost 7. We have quite a few key players injured, with Yann only just coming back now. We aren't even a 3'rd of the way into the season and people want him sacked. It's a complete over reaction.

I asked about two weeks ago, what the point in sacking him is. And as I said earlier in this thread, the pattern for almost EVERY club who does this (Birmingham, Leicester, Palace, Leeds, Sunderland, Forest) is the same. Manager gets sacked and new guy comes in. He ends up spunking about £5-10m on players and then 12 months later he gets sacked again... and repeat.

What Reading have going for them is about 1000x more than some other clubs. We have a group of players who have been together for a little while now and my whole thought process is we are building something. Things like this don't happen overnight.

I don't enjoy many of the games, I haven't for years. Adkins, Clarke, McDermott and now Stam. How many more managers do you want to try out? How many MORE players do you want to sign?

Just stick with what we have, give him the time and let him change things over the coming transfer windows and seasons.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 29 Oct 2017 11:45

I wonder how many of the fans calling for Stam's head were criticising Clarke for a lack of loyalty?

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 29 Oct 2017 11:49

rob_dawson This thread and some of the opinions really do sum up modern football fans for me.

Many on here and in the stands jizzed themselves when JS was announced, that Reading could attract a big named manager, capable of doing deals and possibly attracting players, sharing his knowledge.

If I recall correctly, his first season we just wanted to stabalise and push towards the top 6 of the table. Instead he broke every pundit (and every fan's) prediction by getting us all the way to the final. It wasn't the most exciting football but we exceed all expectations.

We're now 14 games in, have beaten, Villa, Birmingham and Leeds. We have drawn three and lost 7. We have quite a few key players injured, with Yann only just coming back now. We aren't even a 3'rd of the way into the season and people want him sacked. It's a complete over reaction.

I asked about two weeks ago, what the point in sacking him is. And as I said earlier in this thread, the pattern for almost EVERY club who does this (Birmingham, Leicester, Palace, Leeds, Sunderland, Forest) is the same. Manager gets sacked and new guy comes in. He ends up spunking about £5-10m on players and then 12 months later he gets sacked again... and repeat.

What Reading have going for them is about 1000x more than some other clubs. We have a group of players who have been together for a little while now and my whole thought process is we are building something. Things like this don't happen overnight.

I don't enjoy many of the games, I haven't for years. Adkins, Clarke, McDermott and now Stam. How many more managers do you want to try out? How many MORE players do you want to sign?

Just stick with what we have, give him the time and let him change things over the coming transfer windows and seasons.

This 100 times over. could do with a few maths lessons though.

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by PieEater » 29 Oct 2017 12:02

To quote Steve Coppell.

When we win they think I'm great, when we lose they think I'm shit.

Or words to that effect.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 29 Oct 2017 12:07

I don’t want Stam sacked. But he really needs to improve his performance. And to be fair, the threat of the sack will maybe make him look again at some of the mistakes he and his team have made

I think Yann is needed not only for his own ability but to kick the arses of some of the players on the pitch during the game. Massively missing a leader up top

strap
Hob Nob Regular

by strap » 29 Oct 2017 12:08

PieEater To quote Steve Coppell.

When we win they think I'm great, when we lose they think I'm shit.

Or words to that effect.

Sir Steve was always honest and unassuming. Yes there were many defeats under his charge, but at least we had a sense of what the team was supposed to be doing, and how it was set up. Yes the 3 x 0-3's were abysmal, but generally, generally, there was something to get the fans going. I'm afraid all Stam's "total non-football" does is drive fans away.

Anyway, things may be afoot : http://sportwitness.co.uk/italy-reading-boss-jaap-stam-considering-resigning-developments-tomorrow/

If Stam does resign and doesn't screw the club for compo, he will have regained some respect in my eyes. Great player, shit manager (to date). So he's in very good company - R.Moore, R.Charlton, N.Styles, G.Zola etc

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 29 Oct 2017 12:10

tidus_mi2 I wonder how many of the fans calling for Stam's head were criticising Clarke for a lack of loyalty?

All I know is that if we ever lose another match I'm becoming a Fulham fan. :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

rob_dawson

by rob_dawson » 29 Oct 2017 12:24

Agree with this Boro fan:

Today was a professional performance against a well organised and tidy but toothless team.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 29 Oct 2017 12:37

rob_dawson This thread and some of the opinions really do sum up modern football fans for me.

We sacrificed a sound pair of hands that could have rebuilt the foundations of the club for a "name". Stam has no track record. I agree managers are sacrificed far too often. That's because the expectations placed on them are simply too great. Spend money buy players. Is the modern way. Not develop players over time and progressively build a squad. Looking at the transfer dealings over the past 3 years. Reading is like watching a revolving door. Loads of money driven journeymen.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 29 Oct 2017 12:38

Very much agreed Mr Dawson.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 29 Oct 2017 13:02

+1 to the Rob's nailed it crowd

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 29 Oct 2017 13:14

strap
If Stam does resign and doesn't screw the club for compo, he will have regained some respect in my eyes. Great player, shit manager (to date). So he's in very good company - R.Moore, R.Charlton, N.Styles, G.Zola etc

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 29 Oct 2017 13:16

I'm very much in the "I don't know what we should do" group.

To agree with Hound something has to change. What can't happen is the same shit for the next 2 months.

155 posts