The one that worries me about January

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

Re: The one that worries me about January

by Nameless » 09 Nov 2017 13:19

We’re also in a position where we can turn down ANY bid for a player. Possibly for the first time in our history there is simply no need to sell.
That of course doesn’t mean we wouldn’t sell, but we have owners with enough genuine cash that allows them to decide whether they want to sell rather than have to do so to keep the club afloat.
The money spent on Aluko and we tried to spend on a striker, plus the length of some the new contracts confirms that the intent is there.
I also think Moore and Kelly would stick around even if there was interest from the Prem (unless it was one of the CL sides). Swift I suspect might be more open to a January move but that’s gut feel rather than based on any evidence or inside knowledge.

LWJ
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Hobnob Prediction League Champion 2011/2012, 2020/2021

by LWJ » 10 Nov 2017 11:06

I would be very surprised to see a bid come in for Kelly from anyone higher than mid table in the Championship.

More chance of Bacuna/Swift/Moore which I agree that we could afford to reject any bid for.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 14 Nov 2017 22:42

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

Rodgers wants Moore

by NewCorkSeth » 15 Nov 2017 09:01

He can keep his grubby mitts off our beautiful Moore. Read it on F365. Don't know where they read it.
He might be tempted...

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Rodgers wants Moore

by Hound » 15 Nov 2017 09:34

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 15 Nov 2017 09:51

If it's only £5m he wants to spend, maybe he should head to Nottingham and take look at a centre back he's a little bit more familiar with.

Whilst Celtic can financially run roughshod over Scottish football and are a big draw for domestic players, I just don't see what the appeal would be for a player of Moore's ability and £10m would be a starting point for negotiations.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 15 Nov 2017 10:11

From Despair To Where? If it's only £5m he wants to spend, maybe he should head to Nottingham and take look at a centre back he's a little bit more familiar with.

Whilst Celtic can financially run roughshod over Scottish football and are a big draw for domestic players, I just don't see what the appeal would be for a player of Moore's ability and £10m would be a starting point for negotiations.

I unfortunatly can see the draw for Moore. Celtic are plating attractive and entertaining football and will be getting more international scouts watching them with players like Dembele there. Don't know any Celtic fans but Rogic and Ajer are supposed to be quite good..
Ajer according to football manager

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 15 Nov 2017 10:20

sure he'd be a good signing for them tbh, and he might be attracted to playing in the Champs league every year.

5m would be nowhere near enough, and Glasgow is a long way to go with his young family. But wouldn't rule it out if they increase the bid

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 15 Nov 2017 10:36

Champions League football has to be the big draw.

But the effort it took to get Moore here and the fact he was desperate to play under Stam, I would be disappointed if he wanted to jump ship and I would be extra disappointed if a bid of anything south of £7.5m was accepted. You see Championship players going for silly money these days so there should be no reason why we wouldn't be able to charge silly money for our key players.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 15 Nov 2017 11:08

Hound sure he'd be a good signing for them tbh, and he might be attracted to playing in the Champs league every year.

5m would be nowhere near enough, and Glasgow is a long way to go with his young family. But wouldn't rule it out if they increase the bid

Byron Glasgow?

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 15 Nov 2017 11:17

NewCorkSeth
From Despair To Where? If it's only £5m he wants to spend, maybe he should head to Nottingham and take look at a centre back he's a little bit more familiar with.

I unfortunatly can see the draw for Moore. Celtic are plating attractive and entertaining football and will be getting more international scouts watching them with players like Dembele there. Don't know any Celtic fans but Rogic and Ajer are supposed to be quite good..
Ajer according to football manager

And for every Champions League game, there's 2 trips to Hamilton, 2 trips to Perth, 2 trips to Dingwall.

Dont know about international scouts, their best players end up at Southampton, who incidentally are the sole reason Celtic have any sort of transfer budget.

Moore strikes me as the sort of player who wants to prove himself and push himself forward the the SPL is woefully uncompetitive. A move to somewhere like Everton or West Brom would offer a greater challenge to him.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 15 Nov 2017 12:34

Deleted.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 16 Nov 2017 08:32

strap I thought Tommy Burns was like a kid in a sweet shop. Stam is way worse.

At least Burns was paying penny sweet prices, Stam is paying Lindt prices.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 16 Nov 2017 12:01

West ham, WBA and Stoke want him too. start the bidding at 10 million.

https://twitter.com/TalkReading/status/ ... 9959715840

Oilroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by Oilroyal » 16 Nov 2017 15:19

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 16 Nov 2017 15:26

prob some truth in that. But that is pretty much how the transfer rumour machine works

Oilroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by Oilroyal » 16 Nov 2017 15:40

Hound

prob some truth in that. But that is pretty much how the transfer rumour machine works

Obviously but what worries me is RFC's willingness to be a part of this media fairytale. We were once known for our no kiss and tell dealings and had the respect of other clubs.

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 16 Nov 2017 16:32

Oilroyal
Hound

Obviously but what worries me is RFC's willingness to be a part of this media fairytale. We were once known for our no kiss and tell dealings and had the respect of other clubs.

Do you mean generally - or in this specific case? If this case, how do you know they are?

There's no evidence that they told the DM that there were Celtic scouts at games (if there were)
There's no evidence that they were the source for any rumours
It's clear from the article that Stam didn't bring it up, he only responded to a question that was asked, and then didn't mention any specific clubs.

Even in other cases, where they've been in the media for transfers, it's never been them talking about a player (to buy or sell) before it's come up elsewhere, it's always in response to somebody else asking a question or making a statement etc.

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 16 Nov 2017 21:24

Except James Wilson, who Jaap seems to talk about at every opportunity

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 16 Nov 2017 23:00

maffff Except James Wilson, who Jaap seems to talk about at every opportunity

But - does he bring him up, or is he asked about him?

What Stam clearly does not do, which some previous managers did, ispretend we have no interest in a player when we do. But I dont' think he goes into a presser thinking, must mention that we're interested in James Wilson

Can't swear to that though, we don't get full transcripts of interviews