Parking

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Parking

by Nameless » 09 Nov 2017 21:29

Ah, that’s a much better deal ! The website really doesn’t make it obvious (well not to me anyway ).
If that is how it works I shall look again....

KC Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by KC Royal » 12 Nov 2017 13:16

Thanks for all the comments flagging up the Holiday Inn car park. I haven't been to a game since the old HP car park closed but having often thought about parking at the Holiday Inn that was my plan A. As it happens I've stumbled upon a different plan for Saturday but I'll have to think of a Plan B (or C) in future. Just as well I saw this thread before next weekend!

Elm Park Kid Ok, i've asked this about 20 times now - so lets make it 21 :)

If you park at the holiday inn why not just park at the World Turned Upside Down? Google maps tells me that it takes 20 mins to walk from holiday inn and 21 from upsey down. The pub is free, is perfectly happy with people parking there, is (as far as I know) safe and in 6 years I always got a space. Also, it's a pub that you can get a decent priced drink in :)

I'm considering this as an option now. Haven't been there for years but was never sure of whether it was ok to leave the car there (as Royal Blue says) so always went on to the HP.
Has it always been called TWTUD? I'm sure I stumbled across an old post on another forum that mentioned a pub with a different name that seemed to be in the same place.

East Grinstead Royal

by East Grinstead Royal » 13 Nov 2017 12:19

It was called that when I lived nearby in the 1970s, but I guess it might have been called something else longer ago!

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 13 Nov 2017 17:08

KC Royal Thanks for all the comments flagging up the Holiday Inn car park. I haven't been to a game since the old HP car park closed but having often thought about parking at the Holiday Inn that was my plan A. As it happens I've stumbled upon a different plan for Saturday but I'll have to think of a Plan B (or C) in future. Just as well I saw this thread before next weekend!

Elm Park Kid Ok, i've asked this about 20 times now - so lets make it 21 :)

If you park at the holiday inn why not just park at the World Turned Upside Down? Google maps tells me that it takes 20 mins to walk from holiday inn and 21 from upsey down. The pub is free, is perfectly happy with people parking there, is (as far as I know) safe and in 6 years I always got a space. Also, it's a pub that you can get a decent priced drink in :)

I'm considering this as an option now. Haven't been there for years but was never sure of whether it was ok to leave the car there (as Royal Blue says) so always went on to the HP.
Has it always been called TWTUD? I'm sure I stumbled across an old post on another forum that mentioned a pub with a different name that seemed to be in the same place.

I know it's hard to trust the recommendation of someone that posts on an internet forum - but if you just ring them up and ask i'm 99.9% certain they will say it's fine to leave your car there during the game. My last game was in August and I parked for the 100th+ time there with no issue. We did pop in for a quick bit of food and drink but as far as i'm aware there's zero control over who parks there.

The only issue is that it can be a popular destination for away fans that are 'In the know' - never had any issues in terms of bad behaviour but they can easily fill up the car park if you don't get there at least 45 mins before.

KC Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by KC Royal » 13 Nov 2017 18:24

Cheers for all the info Elm Park Kid.

Yeah, can imagine away fans going, may have heard some in there before. Would hope I wouldn't get there that late, tend to arrive early (apart from when there's been bad traffic - doesn't take much), but something to bear in mind anyway. I remember it was starting to get busy usually when we left, was always a bit concerned about how much space there would be on arriving but was never an issue.

Royal Tezza

by Royal Tezza » 14 Nov 2017 10:20

Just to elaborate on my rant on the previous page, I'm coming from SW London. Whilst the park and ride may be an option for a Saturday (albeit long) not having access to parking would definitely rule me out of midweek games when I have to dash over and rarely make KO time as it is.

As for my Dad, he also has to travel and only makes it down on occasion anyway as he's getting older - poncing about doing a park and ride in the cold is not ideal.

Our ground is in the arse end of nowhere - parking should be a huge priority if the club wants attendances to stop dwindling further than they have over the last 5-10 years. Apologies if this comes across as unreasonable to some but if we have to travel an hour to get to the ground anyway we should be able to dump a car somewhere safe (and pay for the nose for it might I add) and walk for less than 20 minutes to get into the stadium. Anything more than that and people will just (continue to) vote with their feet. I appreciate the Holiday Inn thing isn't the fault of the club but they ought to be working hard with the local businesses to make sure there's a solution that works for everyone.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 14 Nov 2017 12:10

The club have for years been talking to local businesses regarding parking options, this is fact.
In the past they have had businesses on Green Park willing to make lots of spaces available but they are just tenants and the landlords have always said no.
Not sure what options are left if businesses either can’t or won’t allow parking on their premises (REP aside !)

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 14 Nov 2017 18:20

Nameless The club have for years been talking to local businesses regarding parking options, this is fact.
In the past they have had businesses on Green Park willing to make lots of spaces available but they are just tenants and the landlords have always said no.
Not sure what options are left if businesses either can’t or won’t allow parking on their premises (REP aside !)

It's always going to be difficult finding a business that is willing to organise parking spaces for only 20 odd days of the year.

I reckon we should just call it quits with the mad stad and build a new ground in the town centre :) I mean, you still probably won't be able to park but at least the train is a decent option then.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 15 Nov 2017 10:11

If you can get to Reading station easily how are you struggling to get on the excellent, cheap, bus service?

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 15 Nov 2017 17:48

Royal Tezza Our ground is in the arse end of nowhere - parking should be a huge priority if the club wants attendances to stop dwindling further than they have over the last 5-10 years.

Walking does no one any harm. Easy to park within a reasonable distance of the ground.

Royal Tezza

by Royal Tezza » 16 Nov 2017 12:32

Enlighten me then. Where? Holiday Inn was always the best option and now that's all ballsed up. Looks as though the only alternative is this pub others have mentioned. How many can they take?

KC Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by KC Royal » 16 Nov 2017 17:41

Royal Tezza Enlighten me then. Where? Holiday Inn was always the best option and now that's all ballsed up. Looks as though the only alternative is this pub others have mentioned. How many can they take?

It's not the biggest from memory. Not sure if anyone arrived after 2 it would be particularly easy to get a space.
That said, it was never as busy as I expected even when leaving, and our attendances are lower now than when I was going there so it may not be too bad...until REP comes along anyway.

LWJ
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Hobnob Prediction League Champion 2011/2012, 2020/2021

by LWJ » 17 Nov 2017 14:36

Royal Tezza Enlighten me then. Where? Holiday Inn was always the best option and now that's all ballsed up. Looks as though the only alternative is this pub others have mentioned. How many can they take?

Lots of street parking within the same distance of holiday inn...

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 17 Nov 2017 16:33

Club are now selling half season car park tickets for the Greyhound Stadium, starting on 2 January. Price £95.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 18 Nov 2017 19:28

What was going on tonight within Green Park - looked gridlocked

KC Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by KC Royal » 19 Nov 2017 08:59

Bumped into a mate who said you can park in TWTUD car park but I think I saw a sign saying No Matchday Parking so i'm not really sure... It looked busy about 1pm and people were going in and then coming out because the queue was so long.

As for Green Park, a lot of cars were coming out of Reading Gate onto that roundabout at the bottom of the hill which may have played a part.

East Grinstead Royal

by East Grinstead Royal » 20 Nov 2017 12:13

paultheroyal What was going on tonight within Green Park - looked gridlocked

The Wolves coaches were parked along there, so the road was closed from 16.30 for an hour. I only remember this happening once before (a couple of seasons ago?) when Cardiff were in town. Unfortunately, the signs warning that this would happen were only visible on the way out of Green Park, so most people were oblivious of it until after the game and only found out when they were within 100 yards of the closure itself. We were stuck in Green Park (the other ways out at the Northern end were gridlocked) until around 17.50.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 20 Nov 2017 12:20

East Grinstead Royal
paultheroyal What was going on tonight within Green Park - looked gridlocked

The Wolves coaches were parked along there, so the road was closed from 16.30 for an hour. I only remember this happening once before (a couple of seasons ago?) when Cardiff were in town. Unfortunately, the signs warning that this would happen were only visible on the way out of Green Park, so most people were oblivious of it until after the game and only found out when they were within 100 yards of the closure itself. We were stuck in Green Park (the other ways out at the Northern end were gridlocked) until around 17.50.

I saw the diversion signs up but could not work out what was happening. I park in the Regus building and turn right to head to Costco but knew immediately something was wrong. Utter chaos getting out of there.

Wonder if this is a new thing to deter Green Park parking - parking there for a number of years and not known this.

Royal Tezza

by Royal Tezza » 21 Nov 2017 13:38

LWJ

Where, and is it safe?

LWJ
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Hobnob Prediction League Champion 2011/2012, 2020/2021

by LWJ » 22 Nov 2017 09:47

Royal Tezza
LWJ

Where, and is it safe?

Plenty of parking on the other side of the shell garage, I wouldn't advise leaving valuables on show, but I've never had any trouble in the past 4 years.

I've just put where I park into google maps - .1 of a mile longer than the holiday inn in distance