Why doesn't the MadStad host concerts and music events?

17 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

Why doesn't the MadStad host concerts and music events?

by bobby1413 » 08 Dec 2017 06:44

I heard today that The Killers are playing at Swansea's Stadium and also Bolton's. I remember in 2006 that the Red Hot Chilli Peppers played at the Madejski Stadium but nothing since or before (that I remember).

Is there any reason why we haven't hosted other bands or performances?

Kitsondinho
Hob Nob Addict
Location: at a cricket ground somewhere around the country........

Re: Why doesn't the MadStad host concerts and music events?

by Kitsondinho » 08 Dec 2017 07:00

Elton John played the first concert at the Mad Stad in 2005. There have been some Capital FM Ball type events since 2006 too, but I can’t remember any in recent years.

JamieY26

by JamieY26 » 08 Dec 2017 07:49

I imagine its because we are only 30 minutes from London.... Why would a promoter choose Reading when there are several better venues with more people in the catchment.

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 08 Dec 2017 08:10

JamieY26 I imagine its because we are only 30 minutes from London.... Why would a promoter choose Reading when there are several better venues with more people in the catchment.

I appreciate that but there's other similar cases.

Why choose Bolton when Manchester is 12 minutes away and full of venues
Swansea... Cardiff is just up the road

I just think it's a case that we're not offering, or promoting, or whatever football stadium owners can do

EDIT: oh also our catchment area is brilliant. Surrey, Hampshire, Berkshire, not other big cities close by (London the exception). But compared to say Bolton which has tons more competition, we are in theory in a good position

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 08 Dec 2017 08:21

There have been several music events, but from what I understand they are hardly worth doing. Promoters want revenue guarantees so the venue effectively carries the risk of poor ticket sales, the promoter doesn’t hire the venue, they just license their artist to the venue for a concert. The window for doing them is limited (not really possible except in June and July when pitch repairs are being done). It’s also a load of extra work for the club which they probably just don’t want the hassle of if the returns aren’t worth it. You’ve also got to staff the event and it’s hard enough to get stewards etc for regular match days without adding in what would probably be midweek concerts.
The point about being close to London is obviously a factor.

I would also add that the Elton John concert was the worst concert I have ever been to, truely awful. Nothing to do with the venue, just an artist simply going through the motions and a complete waste of an evening of my life.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 08 Dec 2017 08:33

Hopefully REP will change that and provide - at last - a reasonably good quality music venue that will attract touring bands into the area as it is utterly ******* ridiculous there is nothing in this part of the Thames Valley considering its population density.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 08 Dec 2017 09:37

Yep, even Fratton Park has hosted a sell out concert within the last 18 months ffs

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 11 Dec 2017 09:11

Sutekh Hopefully REP will change that and provide - at last - a reasonably good quality music venue that will attract touring bands into the area as it is utterly ******* ridiculous there is nothing in this part of the Thames Valley considering its population density.

Absolutely.

As for an Elton John gig, well, serves people right for going to watch that washed-up, toupee'd old codger anyway.

Zammo
Hob Nob Addict

by Zammo » 11 Dec 2017 10:00

i enjoyed the Elton John gig :?

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 11 Dec 2017 11:19

Yep, I thought he was excellent. My only issue was waiting fooking ages for a bus afterwards

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 11 Dec 2017 13:47

If you thought the Elton John gig was excellent I can only assume you have exceedingly low standards !
He may as well have walked on stage , stuck a Greatest Hits cd on and then sat in an armchair and nodded along to them.
My fault for wasting money on a ticket but he has got a decent back catalogue to go along with the MOR cabaret tunes and sometimes these ‘heritage’ acts actually put on a bit of a show. The Who (for example) might be half the band they used to be and creaking at the knees but they still put the effort in on stage.

Kitsondinho
Hob Nob Addict

by Kitsondinho » 11 Dec 2017 22:18

I’m in the ‘Elton was great’ group......I really enjoyed it!

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 12 Dec 2017 21:11

Kitsondinho I’m in the ‘Elton was great’ group......I really enjoyed it!

I went to an Elton concert where he played his entire new album from start to finish. That wasn't much fun.

I agree with above though that he's got a load of fantastic songs alongside the popular hits.

Kitsondinho
Hob Nob Addict

by Kitsondinho » 12 Dec 2017 21:13

Elm Park Kid
Kitsondinho I’m in the ‘Elton was great’ group......I really enjoyed it!

I went to an Elton concert where he played his entire new album from start to finish. That wasn't much fun.

I agree with above though that he's got a load of fantastic songs alongside the popular hits.

At the Mad Stad he played several songs from his then current album.....and some from the Billy Elliot stage show soundtrack, wot he wrote....

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 13 Dec 2017 07:48

Gigs and concerts can only really be hosted in the post season and with a full season of football and rugby, the pitch needs time for maintenance and recovery. 1 gig would take a week out of post season.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 13 Dec 2017 07:59

bobby1413
Why choose Bolton when Manchester is 12 minutes away and full of venues

Lots of reasons really.

If you are looking for an outdoor arena, Old Trafford and The Etihad are too big, the cricket ground is in use, Gigg Lane and Spotlands too small, the JD, isn't an enclosed bowl so would be shit for gigs and Turf Moor and Ewood Park are in the middle of town so access would be shit.

The Macron is by the motorway, has loads of parking, a dedicated train station, is an enclosed bowl and is the right size.

The Madejski would also tick all the boxes but, as Nameless suggested, the club have done it before and there are numerous reasons why they might not consider it worthwhile.

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 13 Dec 2017 11:14

busted played there once

17 posts   •   Page 1 of 1