11%
Ian Royal - all RFC fans are idiots
4%

Total votes: 247
Hound
Hob Nob Legend

Re: In or Out? New poll.

by Hound » 31 Dec 2017 12:17

Also can’t really say ‘Bristol were awful’ - they are the second best team behind an exceptional Wolves team in the division

We do have a strange habit of making other teams look rubbish tbh. Think we bring them down to our level a bit

Regarding Stam, and on reflection I think if the right person was available who would fit in with the players we have, I’d be happy to see him go. Warburton would be an option, or as mentioned I love us to get Dean Smith if he’d come

I’d rather Stam stay than see someone come in who rips everything up and starts again

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 31 Dec 2017 13:08

Despite being quite a vocal critic of Stam, I voted In. Not entirely convinced, mind.

Yes the football is shit and yes the results are poor at present.

However, we’ve seen glimpses of what he’s trying to achieve. I think he needs assistance to develop the team and some more time.

And it bothers me that there’s no logical successor really, unless we poach someone.

And we can’t really complain about footballs increasing short termism and then want a manager sacked after a bad run.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 31 Dec 2017 13:08

Snowflake Royal
Hoop Blah
Hound Gary Monk has just failed at 2 champ clubs

I think dull and boring is pretty subjective. When we play well, we are good to watch - ie Derby, Wolves, forest, Villa. Problem is these performances are few and far between

To be honest, play any system badly and it’s shit to watch. Would rather see us try to play football than the hoof ball dross served up by the likes of Cardiff

I agree that playing any system badly is bad to watch but the way Stam is wanting us to play is bad to watch when we play it well! He isn't trying to have us play on the front foot and attack teams, there's hardly been a sniff of that from the team and nothing from him to suggest that he wants them to play at a higher tempo or with a little more attacking verve.

As for Monk, he didn't fail at Leeds, he walked out on them whilst they were looking to hand him a new deal. To do what he did there, at a basket case of a club, was a success in my opinion. He won nearly half his games and just missed out on the play offs and played some pretty good stuff from what I remember.

At 'Boro he was doing ok too, winning half his games again and being pretty well positioned. I'm not really sure what went on there apart from 'Boro perhaps having some unrealistic expectations. He did pretty well at Swansea too IMO.

Fair points. My only argument for not sacking Stam is that we're going through managers too quickly, and you should allow the man in charge to fail once as long as it doesn't set the club back too far - e.g. no relegation.

IObviously the ideal is that we get in a new manager who plays exciting successful football and we return to the glory days of Coppell / McGhee / Pardew etc. (I don't say McDermott because I really didn't enjoy his style of play - only the results it brought). But how likely is that exactly? It didn't work with Rodgers, Adkins, Clarke and apparently now Stam. Changing the manager is expensive and it appears rarely actually achieves anything. So if we've given someone a three year plan, lets see it out.

Anyone think Adkins may do ok at Hull? He seems to still be respected in the game.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 31 Dec 2017 13:11

Denver Royal
Snowflake Royal
Hoop Blah
I agree that playing any system badly is bad to watch but the way Stam is wanting us to play is bad to watch when we play it well! He isn't trying to have us play on the front foot and attack teams, there's hardly been a sniff of that from the team and nothing from him to suggest that he wants them to play at a higher tempo or with a little more attacking verve.

As for Monk, he didn't fail at Leeds, he walked out on them whilst they were looking to hand him a new deal. To do what he did there, at a basket case of a club, was a success in my opinion. He won nearly half his games and just missed out on the play offs and played some pretty good stuff from what I remember.

At 'Boro he was doing ok too, winning half his games again and being pretty well positioned. I'm not really sure what went on there apart from 'Boro perhaps having some unrealistic expectations. He did pretty well at Swansea too IMO.

Fair points. My only argument for not sacking Stam is that we're going through managers too quickly, and you should allow the man in charge to fail once as long as it doesn't set the club back too far - e.g. no relegation.

IObviously the ideal is that we get in a new manager who plays exciting successful football and we return to the glory days of Coppell / McGhee / Pardew etc. (I don't say McDermott because I really didn't enjoy his style of play - only the results it brought). But how likely is that exactly? It didn't work with Rodgers, Adkins, Clarke and apparently now Stam. Changing the manager is expensive and it appears rarely actually achieves anything. So if we've given someone a three year plan, lets see it out.

Anyone think Adkins may do ok at Hull? He seems to still be respected in the game. Well, outside of the MAdStad anyway:)

Not sure they go mad for the fake tan and Armani suit combo up there.

Dr_Hfuhruhurr
Hob Nob Addict

by Dr_Hfuhruhurr » 31 Dec 2017 13:15

leon

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 31 Dec 2017 13:15

He's not an inherently bad manager as his spells at Scunny and Saints prove. So he's got a decent chance.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 31 Dec 2017 13:16

Dr_Hfuhruhurr
leon

Ha :lol:

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 31 Dec 2017 13:33

Out and happy to drive him to wherever he wants to be dropped.

If they're vaguely interested, the likes of Brian McDermott and Wally Downes must be looking on in disbelief :|

In recent years we have enjoyed much success while managed by lesser names forced to work on a shoestring. Downes wasn't a world class defender but his defence produced the goods against far better teams than Burton and Barnsley.

McDermott still gets regular slaggings here despite the fact he could only dream of getting Stam's Championship budget even after reaching the top flight on a wing and a prayer :|

I love watching centre halves like Moore who are good on the ball but anyone who prefers Stam's Reading team to Brian's storming up the table winning at Southampton and West Ham in a run of 15 wins in 17? to take the title, really needs to extract their head from their backside.

To suggest we can't find someone who can get more from this talented group of players is simply laughable and now is the right time to act having failed to grasp the nettle so far.

We can't afford to let Stam loose in this transfer window and I wouldn't be surprised if plans are afoot to have him removed before the cheque book is opened.

We have to move on NOW!!! It's as simple as that in my view.

biff

by biff » 31 Dec 2017 14:24

Utterly clueless manager, weird cuck fans thinking sticking with him is going to manifest in success are suffering from stockholm syndrome. We are just a stepping stone for him, hes said that himself. Lets make sure its one of those takeshi's castle ones where he slips off and brains himself. twat.

ImJappy

by ImJappy » 31 Dec 2017 14:29

I understand why Reading fans are wanting Stam to be sacked, but from a financial point of view, where would you prefer the cash went?
Stam is currently contracted until July 2019, that's 1 1/2 years of the contract to pay out, which could easily amount to £3million, which is £3million less we can spend on a striker we so desperately need.

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 31 Dec 2017 15:43

Whatever the settlement figure, it won't be the full term of the contract but even £3m would be cheap compared to what we paid for Aluko

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 31 Dec 2017 16:12

If we're going to sack him, do it now whilst Warburaton is available

royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

by royalp-we » 31 Dec 2017 16:16

Woodcote Royal Whatever the settlement figure, it won't be the full term of the contract but even £3m would be cheap compared to what we paid for Aluko

That's about equal to what we paid upfront for Aluko :|

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 31 Dec 2017 16:28

From Despair To Where? If we're going to sack him, do it now whilst Warburaton is available

Out of boredom just scanned the forest media

Warburton sounds very similar in style to Stam. Same level of whingeing about playing out from the back etc. It certainly wouldn’t be a big change him coming in

Still would mean a change without a big upheaval of players etc

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 31 Dec 2017 16:30

Hound
From Despair To Where? If we're going to sack him, do it now whilst Warburaton is available

Warburton sounds very similar in style to Stam. Same level of whingeing about playing out from the back etc. It certainly wouldn’t be a big change him coming in

To get him here, I'd imagine we'd need to offer him some serious dough.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 31 Dec 2017 16:34

genome
Hound

To get him here, I'd imagine we'd need to offer him some serious dough.

Yeast gods. Not this again.

rfc58

by rfc58 » 31 Dec 2017 16:55

I’d rather Stam than Warburton every day of the week. The for mentioned Warburton is loathed at both Rangers and Forest, there were no cries or split decisions on whether he should have been sacked or remained.

He is not the answer, he’s just in the news right now as he is available, for the second time inside a year.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 31 Dec 2017 21:22

I'd still rather give Stam time but as is the way, there's hardly a surfeit of outstanding candidates available at the moment.

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 31 Dec 2017 21:40

Bristol City fans wanted Johnson's head on a pike this time last season.
Luckily for them, their chairman isn't as much of a pussy as their fans.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 31 Dec 2017 21:52

rfc58 I’d rather Stam than Warburton every day of the week. The for mentioned Warburton is loathed at both Rangers and Forest, there were no cries or split decisions on whether he should have been sacked or remained.

He is not the answer, he’s just in the news right now as he is available, for the second time inside a year.

Owners panicking. Just like the Thai's at Reading. Suddenly realise that a football ckub is a bottomless moneypit..........

No interest in developing homegrown talent either. Results is all that matters.

423 posts