England - the future....

3567 posts
Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: England - the future....

by Sutekh » 14 Nov 2017 21:25

All credit to Southgate to get a largely inexperienced England so well organised, keep Brazil quiet and still produce a couple of good chances though it would likely have been different if there was anything of note riding on the result.

Just perhaps there is a glimmer of hope that the finals might not be quite so dreadful for England after all. QFs with a bit of luck and some wind behind them?

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 14 Nov 2017 21:38

2 hugely promising performances from a group of young Englanders.

+ Wilshere and we could really be on to something.

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 14 Nov 2017 23:08

Sutekh All credit to Southgate to get a largely inexperienced England so well organised, keep Brazil quiet and still produce a couple of good chances though it would likely have been different if there was anything of note riding on the result.

Just perhaps there is a glimmer of hope that the finals might not be quite so dreadful for England after all. QFs with a bit of luck and some wind behind them?

Forget that

We're going to win it!!

Jackson Corner
Hob Nob Regular

by Jackson Corner » 15 Nov 2017 01:49

Here we go it's a new dawn. We will be home before the plane turns round.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 15 Nov 2017 08:56

We can be bright and cheerful now until the Finals draw pitches England with Brazil or Germany and the likes of Sweden, Iceland or Denmark and Morocco or Serbia.

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by PieEater » 15 Nov 2017 09:24

I thought the ref was dreadful, one of those who's forgotten it's a contact sport. He just seemed to want to watch Brazil play.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 15 Nov 2017 09:37

Sutekh All credit to Southgate to get a largely inexperienced England so well organised, keep Brazil quiet and still produce a couple of good chances though it would likely have been different if there was anything of note riding on the result.

Completely agreed - it is being overlooked in some sections of the media (despite them extensively trailing the same before the games) that this was as young an England side as we have fielded in a generation. And the two standout performers, Loftus-Cheek and Gomez, have barely 20 Premier League starts between them. Very encouraging - what for me is now key is that Southgate has these performances, and subsequent Premier League form, in the back of his mind in March for the friendlies with Holland and Italy. I trust he will, for his great week will be a waste if we line-up with Cahill, Smalling and Henderson in Russia, for no real reason but experience.

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 15 Nov 2017 10:38

PieEater I thought the ref was dreadful, one of those who's forgotten it's a contact sport. He just seemed to want to watch Brazil play.

The perfect ref for Brazil

Contact
Fall over
Free kick

And repeat

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 16 Nov 2017 08:57

Daily Mail website (I know) has "revealed" Southgate's plan for the WC and his preferred formation and XI

Hart

Walker (as wing back)
Stones
Dier
Jones
Rose (as wing back)

Lallana
Henderson
Winks

Ali

Kane

So a 3-2-3-1-1 formation of sorts.

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 16 Nov 2017 22:58

Stranded Daily Mail website (I know) has "revealed" Southgate's plan for the WC and his preferred formation and XI

Hart

Walker (as wing back)
Stones
Dier
Jones
Rose (as wing back)

Lallana
Henderson
Winks

Ali

Kane

So a 3-2-3-1-1 formation of sorts.

That would be ok I guess but no Hart or Henderson please

I also think Lingard looks excellent each time he has come on for England but perhaps not seen as a starter

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 30 Nov 2017 12:15

Not much to argue about there except Butland for Hart, and Loftus-Cheek for Henderson.

RL-C was quite brilliant against Germany and Brazil.

double d

by double d » 30 Nov 2017 12:33

Sessegnon will be starting lb soon.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 30 Nov 2017 14:53

double d Sessegnon will be starting lb soon.

At the next World Cup I reckon. Sooner would be a huge ask - he looks likely to go to Spurs in the summer, where he will have to get past Danny Rose. And if he does that and keeps him out of the Spurs side he's still got Ryan Bertrand in his way in the England squad. And if Rose goes to City he might get even better, like Walker.

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 01 Dec 2017 17:03

Hart out and replacing him with Butland is the sensible choice

Do I think this will happen? No
Do I think Hart will contribute to our exit?, with a calamitous error or two? Yes

double d

by double d » 01 Dec 2017 17:28

Butland or Pickford?
Would you take Wilshire?
What formation will you play?

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 31 Dec 2017 08:48

Hoop Blah
Vision He made a rod for his own back by stating in relation to Wilshire that he couldn't be considered for selection because he wasn't playing regularly enough for his club. Drinkwater would fall into the same category. You're right It's utterly daft and frankly England are crying out for something different that Wilshire can bring in midfield but I guess its more important to Southgate to not lose face than to actually pick his best squad.

That said, good to see Jack Cork rewarded with a call up.

Agreed, we absolutely need what he can bring.

One quote I read from Southgate re Wilshire implied it wasn't just his recent form, fitness and playing opportunities that were the reason but more his long term resilience. It read like Southgate wants to see that he can trust him to be able to play 3 games in 10 days without breaking down.

He brought Danny Rose back in without much match time of course, but yeah, he basically backed himself into a corner. I like Southgate in many ways, but even with the U21's I thought he talked a good game and then made some really odd decisions along the way.

Drinkwater is an interesting one. I'm not sure how good he is as I've not really watched him that much but it does also feel like he's not that interested in playing for England

Great to see Wilshire starting to prove his worth, fitness and, to a lesser extent, his resilience after starting and finishing Arsenal's last 4 Premier League games. Presumably he'll also start their game today which would make it 3 games in 9 days.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 31 Dec 2017 09:19

double d Butland or Pickford?
Would you take Wilshire?

Butland would be number one for me and I'd certainly take a fit and in form Wilshire over most English midfielders.

In regards to formation, I'd still favour a back four (Walker, Stones, ??, Rose*), a couple of deeper/holding midfielders (probablyWilshire & Henderson or Dier) with 3 attacking players in front of them (Lallana*, Alli and Sterling) and then Harry Kane up tops.

That 11 could quite easily play Liverpool's 4-3-3 with Lallana, Henderson and Wilshire as the 3 midfielders or switch to 3 at the back if Dier was one of the two deeper midfielders.

* if fit and back in form.

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 01 Jan 2018 23:19

Hoop Blah
double d Butland or Pickford?
Would you take Wilshire?

Butland would be number one for me and I'd certainly take a fit and in form Wilshire over most English midfielders.

In regards to formation, I'd still favour a back four (Walker, Stones, ??, Rose*), a couple of deeper/holding midfielders (probablyWilshire & Henderson or Dier) with 3 attacking players in front of them (Lallana*, Alli and Sterling) and then Harry Kane up tops.

That 11 could quite easily play Liverpool's 4-3-3 with Lallana, Henderson and Wilshire as the 3 midfielders or switch to 3 at the back if Dier was one of the two deeper midfielders.

* if fit and back in form.

If you picked the team right now I think you'd have to find a space for Lingard

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 02 Jan 2018 08:13

bcubed If you picked the team right now I think you'd have to find a space for Lingard

Not a chance. He's in a rich vein of form but he's just one player I can't stand so wouldn't even make my squad.

On form you're probably right though, he'd be one of those 3 behind Kane right now.

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 02 Jan 2018 11:39

Hoop Blah
bcubed If you picked the team right now I think you'd have to find a space for Lingard

Not a chance. He's in a rich vein of form but he's just one player I can't stand so wouldn't even make my squad.

On form you're probably right though, he'd be one of those 3 behind Kane right now.

Out of interest why don't you like him?

3567 posts