Gourlay out.

139 posts
FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Gourlay out.

by FiNeRaIn » 03 Jan 2018 09:45

Bod has looked ok however he has a proven track record of not being able to score. He has a professional career average of 1 goal in 6 and thats in pretty mediocre leagues. I find it astonishing we expected him to come here and start banging them in. I like his attitude and work rate, as did Wolves fans, but the reason they got rid of him is because he's not going to score many in the championship.

Our recruitment was poor because we dumped yet more money into our midfield when the glaring weakness was up front. We don't know how hard they " tried", but whatever they did try fell far short of expectations. They didn't even get any loans which is almost unforgivable. You can say what you want about Stams performance, Tevreden and Gourlay have let him and the fans down massively.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 03 Jan 2018 09:47

Maneki Neko
Yann scored 19 last year.
:| in what was massively obvious was a last hurrah

We obviously tried very hard to get Hugill, Hemed and Oliveira in.

have more , and more realistic targets.
it was our main requirement for the window.

He has also give Yann an extension on his contract without him having to do anything to prove it is worth giving him one. It is about what you do now not what you did last season. Yann is no longer a starting striker, not even playing well to make the bench imo.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 03 Jan 2018 09:55

2 world wars, 1 world cup
From Despair To Where? I suspect tonight is the last straw but does anyone expect the chief executive to publicly hang the manager out to dry pre match?

Absolutely deluded if you think that is the case. He has to publicly back the manager and manage expectation.

If the owners are coming to the next match, it wouldn't surprise me if we have a new manager in place before then.

Anyone who is "delighted" their team is losing is a fcuking prick.

I can tell you're a bit angry at the loss dude, chill... In truth I'm f*cking fuming too hence the outburst but I'm not going to rise to a fellow fan.

Yes he has to back the manager I guess. But the rest of it was BS.
Who was conducting the interview? - Maybe a better interviewer could have teased something useful out of the guy instead of putting him on the back foot.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 03 Jan 2018 09:58

Maneki Neko
Hound
Maneki Neko
that's the biggest failure of the whole season imo.

spending a record amount of money, while filling none of the biggest gaps in the squad
:|

Id say the only place we have a gap is up front. Bute even then Bod has looked useful but Stam is refusing to use him. Yann scored 19 last year. We obviously tried very hard to get Hugill, Hemed and Oliveira in.

Aluko looks an absolutely dreadful purchase. But other than that I think the business was ok. Everyone is pretty much adamant we have a good squad

we needed CB, FBs and striker(s)
we defo didn't need a load more midfielders/wingers
we bought.... a load more midfielders and wingers

We have 4 CBs already. Obita wasn't crocked then, and if he had been fit, then id been a waste to have signed another. Gunter is never injured. Blackett and Bacuna, plus Richards and Watson can cover. Strikers, we obv discussed to death at the time, and yes, we really should not have bought Aluko and signed a CF instead. I don't think anyone would disagree on that.

Edwards was prob not a necessity but has done ok.

Anyway think the point was that yes, there was a failure in recruiting a CF, but even without we should have more than enough to be relatively successful in the division.

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 03 Jan 2018 10:13

Hound
Maneki Neko
Hound
Id say the only place we have a gap is up front. Bute even then Bod has looked useful but Stam is refusing to use him. Yann scored 19 last year. We obviously tried very hard to get Hugill, Hemed and Oliveira in.

Aluko looks an absolutely dreadful purchase. But other than that I think the business was ok. Everyone is pretty much adamant we have a good squad

We have 4 CBs already. Obita wasn't crocked then, and if he had been fit, then id been a waste to have signed another. Gunter is never injured. Blackett and Bacuna, plus Richards and Watson can cover. Strikers, we obv discussed to death at the time, and yes, we really should not have bought Aluko and signed a CF instead. I don't think anyone would disagree on that.

We have one good CB, The others are unproven/not good enough/fading fast
going in to another season with one 1st team standard LB and one first team standard RB is a silly idea.
Thinking Blackett is good enough at FB, and then persisting with thinking that is silly,
Bacuna is a midfielder, playing him out of position as anything more than an emergency stop gap is silly.
Doesn't matter how good you think Richards/Watson are, its clear that stam disagrees, therefore they shouldn't be included in any list of 1st team options as anything other than outright emergency cover when planning for your season

Edwards is exactly what we needed in our powder puff midfield. no problem with him at all.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 03 Jan 2018 10:46

Maneki Neko
Hound
Maneki Neko

We have one good CB, The others are unproven/not good enough/fading fast
going in to another season with one 1st team standard LB and one first team standard RB is a silly idea.
Thinking Blackett is good enough at FB, and then persisting with thinking that is silly,
Bacuna is a midfielder, playing him out of position as anything more than an emergency stop gap is silly.
Doesn't matter how good you think Richards/Watson are, its clear that stam disagrees, therefore they shouldn't be included in any list of 1st team options as anything other than outright emergency cover when planning for your season

Edwards is exactly what we needed in our powder puff midfield. no problem with him at all.

will agree to disagree :)

Moore, ILori, Blackett and McShane (in that order) should be perfectly capable at this level, and were last year
Gunter(Watson,Bacuna) and Obita(Richards,Blackett) are good FB options at this level. Not sure where'd you fit another one in without signing someone to sit on the bench. And who would sign knowing they would sit behind Gunter all season? Bacuna or Blackett would only be emergency stop gaps, or in case of injury, where they would do an acceptable job

Don't think FB has been that big a problem for us anyway tbh. Gunter has had a good season imo, and Stam should have played Richards more. Bacuna has filled in well.

CB has been disastrous, but that is mainly due to Stam picking the clearly past it McShane week after week. Moore/Ilori or Blackett would surely be better

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 03 Jan 2018 14:35

Just listened to the interview. he seems like an intelligent man. but I'm puzzles why he kept referring to the owner rather than the owners?
Ad he said they would be here for the next home game. maybe to see how shit we are and make a decision on it.

Tilehurstsouthbank
Hob Nob Regular

by Tilehurstsouthbank » 03 Jan 2018 15:24

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 03 Jan 2018 15:28

windermereROYAL Just listened to the interview. he seems like an intelligent man. but I'm puzzles why he kept referring to the owner rather than the owners?
Ad he said they would be here for the next home game. maybe to see how shit we are and make a decision on it.
Is the club owned by one company? In which case that company is the owner regardless of how many people own that company.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 03 Jan 2018 15:49

Tilehurstsouthbank Last nights bumpf from Gourlay.

http://www.getreading.co.uk/sport/footb ... s-14107584

What a fcuking gimp.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 03 Jan 2018 16:56

It's the kiss of death. Stam will be gone within a week.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 03 Jan 2018 17:15

I don’t think he said he was safe. He said they hadn’t (past tense) even discussed it

If we find ourselves in the bottom 3, getting crowds of 12k, I can be pretty sure those discussions will take place

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 03 Jan 2018 17:27

Agree. It’s not just the results but how far the team has generally regressed. Can’t really say we have been ‘unlucky’ in our of our defeats this year - we look like a team in the bottom 5

I just don’t see us winning games at the moment

I think the majority wanted to give Stam a good run at this season, he has had that, but failed miserably I’m afraid.

Gunny Fishcake
Hob Nob Regular

by Gunny Fishcake » 03 Jan 2018 18:53

Anybody who listened to his interview on Berkshire this morning will realise what a deluded arrogant twat he his.....quote....”we keep improving and doing things right”

It defies belief .....not long before he ends up under the bus with his Dutch twat of a manager

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 03 Jan 2018 19:20

Sadly, unless fans are prepared to do something radical and boycott the next home game (will never happen) I think we will have to put up and shut up for now.

Listening to the interview he is pretty adamant that Stam's job is not under any threat. In saying that, there have been many managers in recent times who have been given the dreaded vote of confidence only to be sacked within days.

At the end of the day, I will never stop supporting this club and the anger, frustration and boredom I have felt watching games over the last few weeks are feelings I have been through several times before in my support of this club over the past 46+ years.

UpNorth

by UpNorth » 03 Jan 2018 19:54

What is becoming increasingly apparent from the post match utterances from Stam and now Gourlay is a growing 'disconnect' with the Reading fans.

There seems to be no empathy/willingness to understand or accept the real concerns of fans about the poor performance of the team. Neither Stam nor Gourlay has any previous experience of a team staring relegation in the face and it shows in what is verging on disrespect and arrogance towards fans expressing genuine concerns. Please give the fans some credit, they are on the whole knowledgeable and have plenty of experience of their team struggling to perform in the past. Both Stam and Gourlay are from 'big time' premiership teams that have never tasted this sort of pressure and their lack of experience really is becoming very evident.

I am now really worried that the Stam/Gourlay/Treveden triumvirate will 'stick together' and try to face off the fans ignoring their views and thereby precipitating the relegation of the team. If they don't care about the fans views and are more concerned with self preservation (don't worry we have a three year plan - we must stick to it!) then who is there to step in now and take the action that is needed to save the club? Howe and Sir JM have been marginalised and we have an absentee owner who has yet to make any sort of statement about the club.

I fear for the worst...

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 03 Jan 2018 20:02

Remember the 3 year plan is to get to the Prem. We won’t do that if we relegated

I think a bit too much is read into it. I don’t think Gourlay, Stam and BT are bosom buddies. Gourlay has been charged with sorting out the club, getting promotion and making the Chinese investment worth its while

If crowds are down, income is going down, the Chinese won’t be happy. If we get relegated and their shiny plaything is in fact a 3rd tier club visiting Rochdale on a Tuesday night, they won’t be happy. They employ Gourlay to do a job at the end of the day and if Stam is preventing him doing that, then he will go

The Cap
Hob Nob Regular

by The Cap » 03 Jan 2018 20:04

blythspartan wrote:
Sadly, unless fans are prepared to do something radical and boycott the next home game (will never happen) I think we will have to put up and shut up for now.

Really? Touched on this very topic when talking to a mate this morning. Shirley, we can't be that far away from another 'pants' day excursion.

UpNorth

by UpNorth » 03 Jan 2018 20:07

Maybe.

But we don't know what the owners views are do we?

This might just be a handy UK opportunity to 'invest' or move funds around a business empire and the football is just an afterthought.

Longhorn1970
Hob Nob Regular

by Longhorn1970 » 03 Jan 2018 20:18

UpNorth What is becoming increasingly apparent from the post match utterances from Stam and now Gourlay is a growing 'disconnect' with the Reading fans.

There seems to be no empathy/willingness to understand or accept the real concerns of fans about the poor performance of the team. Neither Stam nor Gourlay has any previous experience of a team staring relegation in the face and it shows in what is verging on disrespect and arrogance towards fans expressing genuine concerns. Please give the fans some credit, they are on the whole knowledgeable and have plenty of experience of their team struggling to perform in the past. Both Stam and Gourlay are from 'big time' premiership teams that have never tasted this sort of pressure and their lack of experience really is becoming very evident.

I am now really worried that the Stam/Gourlay/Treveden triumvirate will 'stick together' and try to face off the fans ignoring their views and thereby precipitating the relegation of the team. If they don't care about the fans views and are more concerned with self preservation (don't worry we have a three year plan - we must stick to it!) then who is there to step in now and take the action that is needed to save the club? Howe and Sir JM have been marginalised and we have an absentee owner who has yet to make any sort of statement about the club.

I fear for the worst...

Fan protest ala charlton !

139 posts