Starting XI

User avatar
PistolPete
Hob Nob Regular
Posts: 1459
Joined: 01 Mar 2005 07:38
Location: 1871

Starting XI

by PistolPete » 17 Jan 2018 18:53

Is there ANYONE who disagrees with the following?

-Bodvarsson must start
-Richards must start
-On form, Illori and Moore are he best two centre backs
-Bacuna must start, and preferably in central midfield
-Popa deserves a start
-Barrow is a shoe-in on the left of the front 3
-Mannone is our best keeper

Therefore, there are 2 midfield positions up for grabs and if the above doesn’t happen then Stam is irreparably stubborn!

Barrow Bod (Popa)
???? Bacuna ????
Richards Illori Moore Gunter
Mannone


Ps Stam in

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular
Posts: 3140
Joined: 13 Jul 2004 13:32

Re: Starting XI

by Royalwaster » 17 Jan 2018 19:20

PistolPete wrote:Is there ANYONE who disagrees with the following?

-Bodvarsson must start
-Richards must start
-On form, Illori and Moore are he best two centre backs
-Bacuna must start, and preferably in central midfield
-Popa deserves a start
-Barrow is a shoe-in on the left of the front 3
-Mannone is our best keeper

Therefore, there are 2 midfield positions up for grabs and if the above doesn’t happen then Stam is irreparably stubborn!

Barrow Bod (Popa)
???? Bacuna ????
Richards Illori Moore Gunter
Mannone


Ps Stam in


Disagree - think Beerens should be cloned and play in all positions.

User avatar
Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Regular
Posts: 4387
Joined: 20 Jun 2017 17:51

Re: Starting XI

by Snowflake Royal » 17 Jan 2018 20:13

Given Swift's injury, Kelly's form and the problems we have with goals scored at both ends, I'd say the obvious midfield is Bacuna, Edwards, Evans. All will get stuck in. All can chip in with goals, all can carry the ball forward and none have a tendency to over-complicate and slow down play.

It's a bit workmanlike. But let's keep it simple.

I'm not sold on Popa, I've seen him look bright and shocking for the U21s. I'd be more tempted by playing one of Beerens or Barrow on the right flank. But certainly couldn't complain if Popa got a little run of 3 games.

Not convinced by Ilori either yet, but he needs a run in the side.

I could see an argument for three cbs, wing backs and two upfront (Barrow and Bod).

If Richards is dropped, Bacuna plays at RB / is on the bench, Bod doesn't start and we still dont begin winning, then I'm moving to the firmly Stam out camp. It's just getting daft now.

User avatar
Fezza
Hob Nob Regular
Posts: 1112
Joined: 22 Apr 2004 16:33
Location: Counting Sheep!

Re: Starting XI

by Fezza » 17 Jan 2018 20:51

Vito
Gunter Illori Moore Richards
JVB Bacuna
Edwards
Barrow Dadi
Kermit

Swap between 4-2-3-1 in defence and 4-4-2 in attack (Bacuna and Barrow to wings)


Subs: Jaak, Kelly, Evans, Blackett (no-one else fit), Popa, Aluko, Andresson

Look to offload -Beerans, Gmac

Hound
Hob Nob Addict
Posts: 7298
Joined: 27 Sep 2016 22:16
Location: Simpleton

Re: Starting XI

by Hound » 17 Jan 2018 22:05

I’d consider Dadi on the right wing. Believe he plays there successfully for Iceland
Not writing McCleary off quite yet personally though, think he still has something to offer


Snowball
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Posts: 15607
Joined: 02 Jan 2009 19:35

Re: Starting XI

by Snowball » 17 Jan 2018 22:12

Hound wrote:I’d consider Dadi on the right wing. Believe he plays there successfully for Iceland
Not writing McCleary off quite yet personally though, think he still has something to offer


Though I doubt we'll ever play 442 again, the above might work. Too-slow Kermie up front as a hold-up man
and Dadi in there to run the channels and/or be running in when the ball is with the left wing

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Posts: 3805
Joined: 13 Apr 2004 23:24
Location: Relocation to Surrey completed

Re: Starting XI

by Woodcote Royal » 18 Jan 2018 01:02

PistolPete wrote:Is there ANYONE who disagrees with the following?

-Bodvarsson must start
-Richards must start
-On form, Illori and Moore are he best two centre backs
-Bacuna must start, and preferably in central midfield
-Popa deserves a start
-Barrow is a shoe-in on the left of the front 3
-Mannone is our best keeper

Therefore, there are 2 midfield positions up for grabs and if the above doesn’t happen then Stam is irreparably stubborn!

Barrow Bod (Popa)
???? Bacuna ????
Richards Illori Moore Gunter
Mannone


Ps Stam in


Nearly everyone agrees with most of the above except Stam

WTF do you want to keep a manager who has spent the entire season refusing to accept the blindingly regarding team selection, style of play and tactics? By making 10 changes to last nights starting 11, he effectively played what he sees as his 2nd team yet it produced his first win in 8? :P

All of our problems start and finish with one arrogant twat and a bucket of stand in which to place his head.

fred sharpes nose
Member
Posts: 27
Joined: 20 Sep 2014 18:26

Re: Starting XI

by fred sharpes nose » 18 Jan 2018 02:22

I've said it before - you can allow a young and unproven manager to get it wrong some times, tactics, selections etc dealing with players, game management etc. Its a big step up. BUT BUT BUT said young manager needs to learn and adapt. If he refuses to learn or can't see other than tunnel vision the we have a DUD manager on our hands and he has to go. All the wise old managerial heads in the Chump cut their teeth by getting it wrong - but it all goes into their experience bucket to call on - and they developed as managers. Lets hope Japp does the same

User avatar
PistolPete
Hob Nob Regular
Posts: 1459
Joined: 01 Mar 2005 07:38
Location: 1871

Re: Starting XI

by PistolPete » 18 Jan 2018 08:02

Hmm, warming to the idea of Bod on the right. Can’t say I see it as a long term solution, but for now? Sure

The reasons for why I am still ‘Stam in’ at evest kept for another thread


User avatar
John Smith
Hob Nob Regular
Posts: 2934
Joined: 21 Jan 2010 00:47
Location: We should never ponder on our thoughts today cos they hold sway over time

Re: Starting XI

by John Smith » 18 Jan 2018 10:53

PistolPete wrote:Hmm, warming to the idea of Bod on the right. Can’t say I see it as a long term solution, but for now? Sure

The reasons for why I am still ‘Stam in’ at evest kept for another thread

Whose idea was that?! He's a target man not a winger! Taking tips out of the Alan Pardew book of tactics

User avatar
TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Posts: 42599
Joined: 14 Apr 2004 09:27
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

Re: Starting XI

by TBM » 18 Jan 2018 10:57

People getting carried away by Bod scoring a hattrick against League Two opposition :lol:

User avatar
Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Posts: 21534
Joined: 06 Jul 2015 00:19
Location: JAPAN! fcuk you all.

Re: Starting XI

by Maneki Neko » 18 Jan 2018 11:07

dangerous dave needs to be in that midfield if fit.
and then evans if Kelly isn't going well.

User avatar
Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Posts: 21534
Joined: 06 Jul 2015 00:19
Location: JAPAN! fcuk you all.

Re: Starting XI

by Maneki Neko » 18 Jan 2018 11:08

TBM wrote:People getting carried away by Bod scoring a hattrick against League Two opposition :lol:


striker in any kind of form>>>>>>>>>>>striker in no form>>>>>>>out of position midfielder up front


Hound
Hob Nob Addict
Posts: 7298
Joined: 27 Sep 2016 22:16
Location: Simpleton

Re: Starting XI

by Hound » 18 Jan 2018 11:42

TBM wrote:People getting carried away by Bod scoring a hattrick against League Two opposition :lol:


not sure anyone is getting carried away. He should have had a lot more starts based on his form in the league games as well.

Henley Royal 1
Member
Posts: 113
Joined: 02 Sep 2017 19:11

Re: Starting XI

by Henley Royal 1 » 18 Jan 2018 12:04

Mannone Gunter Richards Illori Moore Edwards Evans Bacuna Barrow Popa Bod .

User avatar
PistolPete
Hob Nob Regular
Posts: 1459
Joined: 01 Mar 2005 07:38
Location: 1871

Re: Starting XI

by PistolPete » 18 Jan 2018 12:12

John Smith wrote:
PistolPete wrote:Hmm, warming to the idea of Bod on the right. Can’t say I see it as a long term solution, but for now? Sure

The reasons for why I am still ‘Stam in’ at evest kept for another thread

Whose idea was that?! He's a target man not a winger! Taking tips out of the Alan Pardew book of tactics


Hound reckons he plays there for Iceland, so maybe he’s not the target man we all think he’s supposed to be?

ronnyroyal
Member
Posts: 101
Joined: 24 Jul 2011 18:38
Location: West Berks

Re: Starting XI

by ronnyroyal » 18 Jan 2018 12:12

I think people get carried away with Richards. He does look great, but under the pressure that we are at the moment I’d rather stick Gunter in there and cover RB with someone else (Bacuna etc).

It’s possible that the vultures and boo boys could ruin the kids confidence if he messes up, whereas Gunter takes it week it week out.

Also it’s not a time for change for me, it’s about stability.

Hound
Hob Nob Addict
Posts: 7298
Joined: 27 Sep 2016 22:16
Location: Simpleton

Re: Starting XI

by Hound » 18 Jan 2018 12:22

ronnyroyal wrote:I think people get carried away with Richards. He does look great, but under the pressure that we are at the moment I’d rather stick Gunter in there and cover RB with someone else (Bacuna etc).

It’s possible that the vultures and boo boys could ruin the kids confidence if he messes up, whereas Gunter takes it week it week out.

Also it’s not a time for change for me, it’s about stability.


Get the point, but Richards doesn't seem to have been affected by the pressure so far, and has the fans very much on his side at the moment

Bacuna does a good job as a fill in RB, but we need his abilities and work rate in CM, where we are pretty rubbish currently

ronnyroyal
Member
Posts: 101
Joined: 24 Jul 2011 18:38
Location: West Berks

Re: Starting XI

by ronnyroyal » 18 Jan 2018 12:33

Hound wrote:
ronnyroyal wrote:I think people get carried away with Richards. He does look great, but under the pressure that we are at the moment I’d rather stick Gunter in there and cover RB with someone else (Bacuna etc).

It’s possible that the vultures and boo boys could ruin the kids confidence if he messes up, whereas Gunter takes it week it week out.

Also it’s not a time for change for me, it’s about stability.


Get the point, but Richards doesn't seem to have been affected by the pressure so far, and has the fans very much on his side at the moment

Bacuna does a good job as a fill in RB, but we need his abilities and work rate in CM, where we are pretty rubbish currently


I agree.

User avatar
Old Man Andrews
Hob Nob Regular
Posts: 4616
Joined: 02 Oct 2017 13:06
Location: The South of England

Re: Starting XI

by Old Man Andrews » 18 Jan 2018 12:36

Hound wrote:
ronnyroyal wrote:I think people get carried away with Richards. He does look great, but under the pressure that we are at the moment I’d rather stick Gunter in there and cover RB with someone else (Bacuna etc).

It’s possible that the vultures and boo boys could ruin the kids confidence if he messes up, whereas Gunter takes it week it week out.

Also it’s not a time for change for me, it’s about stability.


Get the point, but Richards doesn't seem to have been affected by the pressure so far, and has the fans very much on his side at the moment

Bacuna does a good job as a fill in RB, but we need his abilities and work rate in CM, where we are pretty rubbish currently


I think Jaap has to desperately try to get Bacuna in that Danny Williams role. We have missed that driving force in midfield so badly this season and I think Bacuna is about as close as we have to Williams in terms of athleticism and energy.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Kebe's apprentice, Sutekh and 49 guests

It is currently 17 Nov 2018 15:15