CONFIMRED - Chris Martin (loan)

310 posts
Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Rumour - Chris Martin

by Maneki Neko » 19 Jan 2018 08:55

Sutekh Let's not panic until the window shuts and once again Reading will have done sod all about a striker but more than likely will have got another midfielder in.

^^^

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 19 Jan 2018 09:07

Old Man Andrews
genome Well Sunderland probably have more money than us (parachute payments) so I imagine they have just come in and offered the exact amount Derby want.

Alan Nixon said we were negotiating with them over wages, so Sunderland have probably offered 100%.

@reluctantnicko
Sunderland trying hard for Chris Martin. Need him more than Reading. Could get done today.

But would you not agree it is silly of the club to let it drag on this long? Surely we could have wrapped this up in late December ready for January 1st. I am not devestated that we haven't got the player I am more annoyed that it would appear we have not got it done early allwoing another club to come in.

Sometimes that's not possible. It depends how much Martin is being paid, how much money we have.

If we don't have the cash to do it, then we'll try and negotiate. If another club then comes in a waves all the cash at the selling club, what can we do?

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 19 Jan 2018 09:24

genome
Old Man Andrews
genome Well Sunderland probably have more money than us (parachute payments) so I imagine they have just come in and offered the exact amount Derby want.

Alan Nixon said we were negotiating with them over wages, so Sunderland have probably offered 100%.

@reluctantnicko
Sunderland trying hard for Chris Martin. Need him more than Reading. Could get done today.

But would you not agree it is silly of the club to let it drag on this long? Surely we could have wrapped this up in late December ready for January 1st. I am not devestated that we haven't got the player I am more annoyed that it would appear we have not got it done early allwoing another club to come in.

Sometimes that's not possible. It depends how much Martin is being paid, how much money we have.

If we don't have the cash to do it, then we'll try and negotiate. If another club then comes in a waves all the cash at the selling club, what can we do?

I absolutely agree that Sunderland are in a better financial position but we should not have allowed it to get this far.

Are you saying that the club haven't dragged their heels at all on this one?

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 19 Jan 2018 09:32

genome
Old Man Andrews

@reluctantnicko

Exactly this. Say we did throw money at a loan like Martin (like we did with another sticker who is at Derby) and it doesn't work out, I am sure that everyone would be blaming the club. If the money isn't right for us, it might be right for someone else. This is Sunderland as well who are paying Jack Rodwell £70K/week, just to put it in some sort of perspective.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 19 Jan 2018 09:33

Old Man Andrews
genome
Old Man Andrews

I absolutely agree that Sunderland are in a better financial position but we should not have allowed it to get this far.

Are you saying that the club haven't dragged their heels at all on this one?

Who's saying we are dragging our heels? We have made a bid, which might have been acceptable, Derby become aware of a team with more money sniffing around, they could be the ones stalling the deal.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 19 Jan 2018 09:35

Hendo
genome
Old Man Andrews

Exactly this. Say we did throw money at a loan like Martin (like we did with another sticker who is at Derby) and it doesn't work out, I am sure that everyone would be blaming the club. If the money isn't right for us, it might be right for someone else. This is Sunderland as well who are paying Jack Rodwell £70K/week, just to put it in some sort of perspective.

Johnny Panini?

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 19 Jan 2018 09:38

Old Man Andrews
Hendo
genome

Johnny Panini?

Already excited about the world cup sticker album :wink:

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 19 Jan 2018 09:47

Maneki Neko
Sutekh Let's not panic until the window shuts and once again Reading will have done sod all about a striker but more than likely will have got another midfielder in.

^^^

This has happened once

Would have been good to have wrapped it up - but Sunderland were always in the chase. Presume Derby will come back to us and see if we want to pay what Sunderland are offering, and if we do it’s then up to Martin

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 19 Jan 2018 09:56

Hound
Maneki Neko

^^^

This has happened once

Would have been good to have wrapped it up - but Sunderland were always in the chase. Presume Derby will come back to us and see if we want to pay what Sunderland are offering, and if we do it’s then up to Martin

And what a choice that is! Lucky boy.

TiagoIlori

by TiagoIlori » 19 Jan 2018 10:19

He’s supposed to be on 40k a week which Sunderland have probably agreed to cover completely. Derby definitely wanted to drum up more interest to try get the best offer. As annoying as it is... I think the club is being responsible with their spending for once

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 19 Jan 2018 10:30

I suspect Sunderland are far happier to pay that than us

If Martin is happy enough to join them, then it’s probably a done deal

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 19 Jan 2018 10:39

Hendo This is Sunderland as well who are paying Jack Rodwell £70K/week, just to put it in some sort of perspective.

Not any more.....

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 19 Jan 2018 12:00

Have we dodged the Martin bullet yet?

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 19 Jan 2018 12:03

Wycombe Royal
Hendo This is Sunderland as well who are paying Jack Rodwell £70K/week, just to put it in some sort of perspective.

Not any more.....

Are they not? Thought Rodwell has refused to rip up his contract unless I missed something

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 19 Jan 2018 12:30

Norfolk Royal Have we dodged the Martin bullet yet?

Good to see somebody not creaming themselves over this possible transfer (you obviously know more about him than most from the Norwich days).
I always liked Martin but over the past couple of years he looks to have got slower and wanting to buy more and more free-kicks.
This is Trevor Morley 2018 style but we don't have a Caskey to cash-in on all the free-kicks gained.

If we get him that is at least another striker but if we don't (but get somebody else) I won't be too disappointed.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 19 Jan 2018 12:54

Hound
Wycombe Royal

Not any more.....

Are they not? Thought Rodwell has refused to rip up his contract unless I missed something

Yeah, I thought that was the situation as well.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 19 Jan 2018 14:03

Update on SS news, went into some depth

Sunderland have agreed deal with Derby but ‘a lot of work to do’ to persuade Martin to move there

Reading still interested but have not as yet agreed deal with Derby

Suggested without saying in so many words that he’d rather come to us

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 19 Jan 2018 14:24

Hound Update on SS news, went into some depth

Sunderland have agreed deal with Derby but ‘a lot of work to do’ to persuade Martin to move there

Reading still interested but have not as yet agreed deal with Derby

Suggested without saying in so many words that he’d rather come to us

Well, according to Old Man Andrews he got homesick at Fulham, so coming 40 miles further west might be too tall an order for him to come!

TiagoIlori

by TiagoIlori » 19 Jan 2018 14:32

Can’t see what we have over Sunderland. Personally I don’t think he’d go to us if he doesn’t want to join Sunderland...

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 19 Jan 2018 14:47

TiagoIlori Can’t see what we have over Sunderland. Personally I don’t think he’d go to us if he doesn’t want to join Sunderland...

It’s not as cold

310 posts