107 posts
Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

MATCHWATCH : Brentford (h) sponsored by still no Saturday home win this season

by Sutekh » 18 Jan 2018 14:15

When : Saturday 20 January, 3pm
Where : Madejski Stadium, Reading, RG2 0FL
Capacity : 24,161

Another home games hoves into sight and this time it’s Brentford who are going to come and test their mettle against the mighty Biscuitmen

Freshly buoyed by their magnificent cup win over Stevenage Reading will be looking to continue the good work by taking 3 points off of the Bees in what is really about as local a derby Reading as get (yet for some strange reason isn’t really a derby despite the zillions of games the teams have played against each other, but then QPR, Watford etc. are also non derby derbies).

Brentford have won 4 of their last 5 league games, the one reverse being to the soon to be promoted Wolves team. However they did suffer an embarrassing reverse at home to Notts County in the FA Cup a couple of weeks ago, though part of that may have been down to the standard weakened teams that managers seem to enjoy putting out against lesser opposition in that competitions

As we know about Brentford they’re rather good at scoring goals as well as being rather good at conceding them. This season there’s slightly more of the former than latter happening for them so they’re on the fringes of a shot at the play offs and Reading will have to be organised and looking to give Brentford a game rather than sit back and try for keep ball.

Brenford team is expected to be something similar to; Bentley, Clarke, Mepham, Bjelland, Barbet (Reading bid turned down this week apparently), Woods, Nico, Sawyers, Flo, Vibe.

I reckon Reading should field; Mannone, Gunter, Ilori, Moore, Richards, Bacuna, Edwards, Kelly, Bodvarsson, Barrow and Popa but who knows with Jaap, would any of us be surprised to see Bodvarsson dropped completely and Blackett back at left back?

Referee

Darren Bond has returned

Previously

30 Nov 17 > Reading 3-0 Barnsley
11 Feb 17 > Reading 0-0 Barnsley
13 Aug 16 > Wolverhampton Wanderers 2-0 Reading
14 Mar 2015 > Watford 4-1 Reading
30 Aug 2014 > Middlesbrough 0-1 Reading

Historically

Brentford are one of the most common opponents for Reading with this game being the 84th time the clubs will have met in the league. Of the 41 league games played in Reading to date there have been 23 wins for the hoops compared to just 8 for the stripes.
However Brentford have won on three of their last four league visits and have scored twice in each of those four games so Reading have something to address. On the upside though Reading have scored at least once in 34 of those 41 league games.

How to follow the game

1. Get a ticket and travel to the Mad Stad
  2. Listen to Radio 5 Live and/or a myriad of other radio stations for score flashes
  3. Ring/text a mate for updates
  4. Use an iFollow subscription
  5. BBC Radio Berkshire (FM : 104.4, 104.1 or 95.4 depending where you are in the area)

Current Playing Trends

1. It’s now January and Reading are still looking for a Saturday home win. The last time they managed it was at the tail end of April. Anyone know if Reading have gone so long without a Saturday home win in the league before?
  2. Reading are on a current roll of 202 minutes without a league goal
  3. Only 3 points from the last 7 league games (D3, L4)
  4. Only 2 goals in the last 7 games

JoeyJoeJoeJnrShabadoo

Re: MATCHWATCH : Brentford (h) sponsored by still no Saturday home win this season

by JoeyJoeJoeJnrShabadoo » 18 Jan 2018 23:48

thanks

double d

Re: MATCHWATCH : Brentford (h) sponsored by still no Saturday home win this season

by double d » 20 Jan 2018 09:25

Up for this game today! I can feel in my balls a win coming! I know we will do it! If anybody wants to meet me beforehand I am at spoons in town for a fry up then going for some pints around town. I am wearing a shirt that says double d 69 on it. Urz!!!!

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 20 Jan 2018 09:53

Team news for the game

Liam Moore will be given a late fitness test following an ankle problem

John Swift and Paul McShane will both miss the game with hamstring problems

Brentford are without Henrik Dalsgaard, Rico Henry and John Egan

Anyone like the thought of some combination of Ilori, Blackett or Berg as the central defensive partnership?

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 20 Jan 2018 11:45

Sutekh Team news for the game

Liam Moore will be given a late fitness test following an ankle problem

John Swift and Paul McShane will both miss the game with hamstring problems

Brentford are without Henrik Dalsgaard, Rico Henry and John Egan

Anyone like the thought of some combination of Ilori, Blackett or Berg as the central defensive partnership?

JVDB in defence scares the crap out of me.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 20 Jan 2018 13:06

Let's hope Barbet scores an OG and gives a penalty away before joining us :wink:

TiagoIlori

by TiagoIlori » 20 Jan 2018 13:40

Probably our best team in the circumstances that, just hope Van den Berg isn’t a liability today

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 20 Jan 2018 13:49

Not especially happy with the team. Aluko should be nowhere near and the midfield doesn’t fill me with joy

Where has Bacuna got to this time? About the third time he has disappeared unexpectedly

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 20 Jan 2018 13:59

Hound Not especially happy with the team. Aluko should be nowhere near and the midfield doesn’t fill me with joy

Where has Bacuna got to this time? About the third time he has disappeared unexpectedly

Bacuna probably had a good game last time so Stam has shoved him in the reserves.....He wants none of that melarky. Playing well is not allowed.

Personally Im a miserable as f*ck. I decided not to go today. I really cant take this anymore.....Wonder what the attendance will be? Spose Brentford will bring a good crowd as usual.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 20 Jan 2018 14:01

Baffling disappearance of Bacuna, entirely predictable returns for Aluko and Berg. Even Stam couldn't not play Bodvarsson, and nice to see Richards and Evans get more first team league games.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 20 Jan 2018 14:11

JVDB is not a central defender......seriously, hes better protecting that back four.....

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 20 Jan 2018 14:47

Early scare and then getting good luck down our left but by far best we've played in a long time. Still not overly threatening but certainly positive stuff.

JR

by JR » 20 Jan 2018 14:58

Ascotexgunner
Hound Not especially happy with the team. Aluko should be nowhere near and the midfield doesn’t fill me with joy

Bacuna probably had a good game last time so Stam has shoved him in the reserves.....He wants none of that melarky. Playing well is not allowed.

Personally Im a miserable as f*ck. I decided not to go today. I really cant take this anymore.....Wonder what the attendance will be? Spose Brentford will bring a good crowd as usual.

Calm down the two of you. He’s clearly injured if not in the 18.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 20 Jan 2018 15:18

Not great but not awful.
JVDB is having a poor one. Silly yellow and very poor communication with Kelly (who doesnt seem to be able to pick a pass further than 5ft anymore) Took a pathetic shot from range.
Defense looks fine and capable of dealing with Brentford but are pretty susceptible to that fast counter attack they have employed 2-3 times.
Barrow has looked dangerous enough at times. Bod, god love him, really isnt a sprinter. We are not playing to his strengths today.

Ref doesnt seem to like football very much.

alfie9

by alfie9 » 20 Jan 2018 15:32

Blackett on for Richards at half time

:lol: :lol: :lol:

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 20 Jan 2018 15:33

alfie9 Blackett on for Richards at half time

Just saved us from conceding there.

alfie9

by alfie9 » 20 Jan 2018 15:34

NewCorkSeth
alfie9 Blackett on for Richards at half time

Just saved us from conceding there.

Fair play. That was an excellent block

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 20 Jan 2018 15:35

Injured or tactical?

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 20 Jan 2018 15:52

Bet he's glad the flag went up. :shock: :lol:

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 20 Jan 2018 15:57

Oo, Kelly apparently hit the woodwork from a freekick a while ago.

107 posts