148 posts
Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: The only course of action now...

by Snowflake Royal » 11 Feb 2018 09:34

Old Man Andrews
Snowflake Royal
Old Man Andrews
You're pulling out the "Stam is still learning line" which is a typical response of the Stam sympathizers like you. That is what you are.

Maybe when he is sacked you can go support whichever team he manages next? Follow him around like the little sheep you are.

Expectation met.

You're just a little bit sad. To support a manager over the club is pathetic.

I just said the exact opposite. :|

Do you have some sort of reading based learning difficulty?

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 11 Feb 2018 09:54

I certainly don’t think Golkes is the answer. There are few managers available at the moment. I would probably go with Paul Clement who has a reasonable track record. We need change. The atmosphere for our home games is the worst I ever known it.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 11 Feb 2018 10:00

The football last year was terrible, the play off final an utter shambles of a performance.

I did not want Stam here this season. His chance had come and gone, and he’d blown it. The thought of watching any more of his boring crap and listening to any more of his endlessly repetitive tedious interviews citing “certain situations” did not fill me with joy.

I am almost completely irrelevant of course because I don’t go to games and my bond with the club weakens imperceptibly every year but the TV matches and Groundhog Day radio coverage are bad enough in themselves. How anyone can still be paying good money to watch this team on a weekly basis and give any kind of support to this fraud of a manager is really beyond me.

I mean, teams just don’t play this badly for such long periods of time. There’s always little shafts of light to lift the gloom. But with this lot, nothing. Week after week of soul destroying rubbish. It must be so unutterably depressing.

Fair play to those of you who do keep going though - your love for the club must be a massive bond.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 11 Feb 2018 10:57

Royal Rother The football last year was terrible, the play off final an utter shambles of a performance.

I did not want Stam here this season. His chance had come and gone, and he’d blown it. The thought of watching any more of his boring crap and listening to any more of his endlessly repetitive tedious interviews citing “certain situations” did not fill me with joy.

I am almost completely irrelevant of course because I don’t go to games and my bond with the club weakens imperceptibly every year but the TV matches and Groundhog Day radio coverage are bad enough in themselves. How anyone can still be paying good money to watch this team on a weekly basis and give any kind of support to this fraud of a manager is really beyond me.

I mean, teams just don’t play this badly for such long periods of time. There’s always little shafts of light to lift the gloom. But with this lot, nothing. Week after week of soul destroying rubbish. It must be so unutterably depressing.

Fair play to those of you who do keep going though - your love for the club must be a massive bond.

I go because I’m a Reading supporter. Reading is my team. I’ve supported the team through relegations and promotions and the dull stuff in between.

I’m fully aware that sacking managers every time things are going bad is not the answer. Getting and sticking by the right manager is.

Pardew, Coppell, McDermott all had bad patches but came good. The latter finally being treated disgracefully by the club.

Stam is wrong for this club. His attitude to the fans, the way the team plays and his absolute refusal to change or even take any responsibility when clearly we’ve deteriorated at an alarming rate.

If he’d have routinely produced these low levels of performance managing at any of the clubs he played for he would have been sacked months ago.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 11 Feb 2018 11:41

Snowflake Royal Do you have some sort of reading based learning difficulty?

No, a Reading based one

PistolPete
Hob Nob Regular

by PistolPete » 11 Feb 2018 12:43

Old Boy Blue Absolutely unbelievable that Stam and his clogg wearing pals are still at the Club. The man is like a black cloud over the Club and is doing so much damage while the owners continue to show no interest.
Come on Gourlay earn your money and get him out by Monday.

Clog wearing pals? :|

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 11 Feb 2018 12:50

leon
Royal Rother The football last year was terrible, the play off final an utter shambles of a performance.

I go because I’m a Reading supporter. Reading is my team. I’ve supported the team through relegations and promotions and the dull stuff in between.

I’m fully aware that sacking managers every time things are going bad is not the answer. Getting and sticking by the right manager is.

Pardew, Coppell, McDermott all had bad patches but came good. The latter finally being treated disgracefully by the club.

Stam is wrong for this club. His attitude to the fans, the way the team plays and his absolute refusal to change or even take any responsibility when clearly we’ve deteriorated at an alarming rate.

If he’d have routinely produced these low levels of performance managing at any of the clubs he played for he would have been sacked months ago.

Amen.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 11 Feb 2018 12:58

What about a giant "In Jaap we rust" banner. Always hoped we would have enough fans to push a banner giant round the ground. Nowadays you could get the entire crown under one banner.

rfc58

by rfc58 » 11 Feb 2018 13:49

Looking at the way we are playing, the belief, the desire, it just isn’t there, lack of confidence is a huge factor, but do I see JS turning it around? No, I can’t see any glimmers of hope, nothing to inspire players in training to say “see, we have what it takes to move away from the danger zone”. We are reliant on three teams being worse than us, not doing the job ourselves, and that is a big risk, so maybe a change might help put some spark into the team and their confidence.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 11 Feb 2018 14:15

rfc58 Looking at the way we are playing, the belief, the desire, it just isn’t there, lack of confidence is a huge factor, but do I see JS turning it around? No, I can’t see any glimmers of hope, nothing to inspire players in training to say “see, we have what it takes to move away from the danger zone”. We are reliant on three teams being worse than us, not doing the job ourselves, and that is a big risk, so maybe a change might help put some spark into the team and their confidence.

That's technically not true, it's still well within our hands. Whether or not we have it in us to avoid a situation where we rely on other teams is subjective and tbf speculative.

rfc58

by rfc58 » 11 Feb 2018 14:37

CountryRoyal
rfc58 Looking at the way we are playing, the belief, the desire, it just isn’t there, lack of confidence is a huge factor, but do I see JS turning it around? No, I can’t see any glimmers of hope, nothing to inspire players in training to say “see, we have what it takes to move away from the danger zone”. We are reliant on three teams being worse than us, not doing the job ourselves, and that is a big risk, so maybe a change might help put some spark into the team and their confidence.

That's technically not true, it's still well within our hands. Whether or not we have it in us to avoid a situation where we rely on other teams is subjective and tbf speculative.

Of course it’s still in our hands, but we are not making a good job of it, my comments are based on how things are playing out right now. All the teams have it in their own hands still, my point being, do I see JS having it in him, to change our fortunes, unfortunately I don’t.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 11 Feb 2018 14:45

rfc58
CountryRoyal

Of course it’s still in our hands, but we are not making a good job of it, my comments are based on how things are playing out right now. All the teams have it in their own hands still, my point being, do I see JS having it in him, to change our fortunes, unfortunately I don’t.

Are we handling it poorly? Despite all the doom and gloom and calls of "We're already down", 4pts is the closest we have been to the relegation zone bar the very start of the season and we have a far better goal difference than every else near the bottom bar Hull. We now have over a week to prepare for an away game to a Forest side slipping fast and have lost 5 consecutive games at home.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 11 Feb 2018 15:28

tidus_mi2
rfc58
CountryRoyal

Are we handling it poorly? Despite all the doom and gloom and calls of "We're already down", 4pts is the closest we have been to the relegation zone bar the very start of the season and we have a far better goal difference than every else near the bottom bar Hull. We now have over a week to prepare for an away game to a Forest side slipping fast and have lost 5 consecutive games at home.

Goal difference to avoid relegation? Seriously?

This is desperate stuff.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 11 Feb 2018 16:55

leon
tidus_mi2
rfc58 Of course it’s still in our hands, but we are not making a good job of it, my comments are based on how things are playing out right now. All the teams have it in their own hands still, my point being, do I see JS having it in him, to change our fortunes, unfortunately I don’t.

Goal difference to avoid relegation? Seriously?

This is desperate stuff.

*Shrug* If it comes down to it, then so be it. I think we'll end up comfortably clear of relegation though.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 11 Feb 2018 17:08

If there was a single aspect to our play that had improved from last season, or even this season, I’d be happy to give him a chance to learn from his mistakes

We are worse in everything we do

If we lose against Forest I don’t think he has a single argument left tbh. I’d give him that game, and if we produce another pile of faeces and lose he has to go really

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 11 Feb 2018 18:29

Hound If there was a single aspect to our play that had improved from last season, or even this season, I’d be happy to give him a chance to learn from his mistakes

We are worse in everything we do

If we lose against Forest I don’t think he has a single argument left tbh. I’d give him that game, and if we produce another pile of faeces and lose he has to go really

Repeating the same "he must go" after every defeat isnt going to achieve nothing. the owners and Gourley have the last say, so all the mouth foaming retoric on here week after week will have the sum total of zero effect.

strap
Hob Nob Regular

by strap » 11 Feb 2018 18:41

Snowflake Royal If you sack a manager every time they fail, you will never benefit from them learning from their mistakes.

Stam has shown quality last season and been poor this season. We're far from certain of relegation and he is likely learning a lot right now. Once the season ends and he can reset and take the chance to start fresh, things could easily be very different next year.

How about a little less doom-mongering and hand wringing and a little more positive attitude about staying up.

You could have three pitch invasions a game and everyone waving pants and placards and there's no guarantee the club would sack Stam. And I still think if the next result or two is poor he'll be sacked regardless of whatyou melts do - of course I could be wrong.

At the very least, could we not have a dozen new whiny threads calling for change / protests / conspiracies after every defeat? Try using one that exists. Or better still, don't whine about it on here. Do something at a game. And if you don't get support, stfu.

Sorry Snowflake I can't agree with your second paragraph. The football we were playing last year was little better than the dross we are seeing this. We made less stupid mistakes in our own half to be sure, and we had Kermorgant belatedly knocking in a few goals, but time and again in my conversations with wrinkly RFC supporters we to a man were saying how luck y we were and how on earth could a team playing this badly be so high up the league. I think the Play-off final was the true RFC of last season - bereft of ideas and scared to make a mistake. That has been the over-riding theme this season too.

Quite what you expect us to do in your third paragraph is also puzzling me. Stam has been given plenty of time to turn things around, and all he does is blame the players, the previous management, the previous owners, the fans ... and never accepts that he is actually the major part of the problem with his arrogance and inability to adopt a Plan B when his beloved Plan A "non-football" fails yet again.

Now Stam's latest wheeze is to tell the fans that he turned down the Leeds job in the summer in the hope this will somehow ingratiate him in the eyes of the fans. The fact of the matter is he was never ever offered the job! During initial discussions he had with the Leeds' owners he asked for £3M a year and they promptly told him "thanks but no thanks". He was never offered the position so how on earth could he have turned it down? The man is a "stranger to the truth" now as well as being "a stranger to reality".

Not having a go at your opinions, just trying to understand how you can hold them in the face of so much evidence to the contrary. Have a good rest of the w/e.
Last edited by strap on 11 Feb 2018 18:52, edited 1 time in total.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 11 Feb 2018 18:49

Grimsby follow Bradford in sacking their boss recently. looks like we have very tolerant owners,

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 11 Feb 2018 19:07

strap
Snowflake Royal If you sack a manager every time they fail, you will never benefit from them learning from their mistakes.

Stam has shown quality last season and been poor this season. We're far from certain of relegation and he is likely learning a lot right now. Once the season ends and he can reset and take the chance to start fresh, things could easily be very different next year.

How about a little less doom-mongering and hand wringing and a little more positive attitude about staying up.

You could have three pitch invasions a game and everyone waving pants and placards and there's no guarantee the club would sack Stam. And I still think if the next result or two is poor he'll be sacked regardless of whatyou melts do - of course I could be wrong.

At the very least, could we not have a dozen new whiny threads calling for change / protests / conspiracies after every defeat? Try using one that exists. Or better still, don't whine about it on here. Do something at a game. And if you don't get support, stfu.

The football we were playing last year was little better than the dross we are seeing this. We made less stupid mistakes in our own half to be sure, and we had Kermorgant belatedly knocking in a few goals, but time and again in my conversations with wrinkly RFC supporters we to a man were saying how lucky we were and how on earth could a team playing this badly be so high up the league. I think the Play-off final was the true RFC of last season - bereft of ideas and scared to make a mistake. That has been the over-riding theme this season too.

Stam has been given plenty of time to turn things around, and all he does is blame the players, the previous management, the previous owners, the fans ... and never accepts that he is actually the major part of the problem with his arrogance and inability to adopt a Plan B when his beloved Plan A "non-football" fails yet again.

Sorry, but I've heard the exact same takes and lines and words in here over a hundred times now from different people. Do we need to hear it all again? Some originality in people's views would be welcome.

Btw, you don't finish 3rd in the Champ these days, and be in 3rd throughout much of the season, because you were lucky. You can have some luck in some games and its hip to marginalize the achievement now, but saying it was lucky is nonsense.

Berry

by Berry » 11 Feb 2018 19:11

A crumb of comfort...At least we will play Swindon next season

148 posts