The alternative course of action now...

Theroyalbox
Hob Nob Regular

The alternative course of action now...

by Theroyalbox » 12 Feb 2018 09:38

Having just read through the other thread, there is an alternative course of action. We are now in a relegation battle, and it is serious. It's serious for the club and for those fans who care.
So what is the alternative, to show up for this last few games, get behind the team even when they go behind, we are in a battle now and you can guarantee the Sunderland fans are going to get behind them, the same way Birmingham have and the same way Bolton have. We can be important and make a difference and hopefully save our club from league 1. This isn't a show of support for Stam but it is a show of support for Reading.

Old Man Andrews

Re: The alternative course of action now...

by Old Man Andrews » 12 Feb 2018 09:42

Oh good another thread about exactly the same thing as about 5 other pre-existing threads.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 12 Feb 2018 09:42

Agree though. I do feel Reading fans have shot themselves in the foot this season

Theroyalbox
Hob Nob Regular

by Theroyalbox » 12 Feb 2018 09:55

People like you old man that are part of this problem mate, with the same toxic atmosphere we will get relegated, why cant people just want to carry the team over the line after a really tough year

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 12 Feb 2018 09:59

Theroyalbox People like you old man that are part of this problem mate, with the same toxic atmosphere we will get relegated, why cant people just want to carry the team over the line after a really tough year

Why have I created a toxic atmosphere? I don't boo or protest.

On the other side of the coin I won't jump around and shout and holler when the football is so poor, the players aren't putting in effort and the teams manager insults the fans on a weekly basis.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 12 Feb 2018 11:10

We all know the way the fans are, and the reasons why have been discussed to death

However, unless we are really flying, the atmosphere is generally a bit flat. On the other hand, I'm not really accepting the atmosphere as 'toxic'. Yeah, there have been a few boos in games, the Blackett episode was pretty poor, but other than that the fans have hardly been on Stam or the players back at home.

I don't think I've even heard a single Stam out chant (though I didn't go to Millwall). Considering the fare that has been served up at home with the exceptions of Forest and Villa (way back in the Summer/Autumn), the fans have been very restrained imo. No other sets of fans would be happy with 0 shots on goal in a single half etc
Last edited by Hound on 12 Feb 2018 11:11, edited 1 time in total.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 12 Feb 2018 11:11

Hound I don't think I've even heard a single Stam out chant (though I didn't go to Millwall)

There was a chorus of "you're getting sacked in the morning" after Millwall's 2nd

BKnumber6

by BKnumber6 » 12 Feb 2018 11:38

This is absolutely the only way forward now. I understand the booing and everyone's frustration at our performances but I feel this was mainly aimed at Stam and how the team is being set up. We mostly wanted him to leave, hence the threats to boycott games and a new pants day etc. But, he's not going anywhere. We can boo and moan and stamp our feet but the long and short of it is that he will here until the last kick of the last game. The only way forward now is to totally get behind the team come what may. Otherwise we'll all be watching League1 footy next season.

Theroyalbox
Hob Nob Regular

by Theroyalbox » 12 Feb 2018 11:57

I get what your saying hound, but if it comes down to it, creating a good atmosphere at games could carry us over the line, and I know our fanbase is terrible, but at some point we need to realise we are in a battle and there gunna need our support.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 12 Feb 2018 12:01

If you want a good example of that, just look at the final 15 minutes of the Fulham playoff home leg. The best atmosphere I've ever experienced at the Madejski.

That's why our fanbase is so frustrating. We are capable of great atmospheres, we just rarely choose to do it.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 12 Feb 2018 12:04

genome If you want a good example of that, just look at the final 15 minutes of the Fulham playoff home leg. The best atmosphere I've ever experienced at the Madejski.

That's why our fanbase is so frustrating. We are capable of great atmospheres, we just rarely choose to do it.

Doesn't really help when the manager chooses to insult the fan base rather than galvanise them. He has to take a portion of the blame for the negative atmosphere at home games. He has had the chance to get the fans back on side recently and calm his tone but instead has ramped it up making the divide wider.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 12 Feb 2018 12:07

genome If you want a good example of that, just look at the final 15 minutes of the Fulham playoff home leg. The best atmosphere I've ever experienced at the Madejski.

yeah it was an amazing atmosphere, but that was as you say a PO semi final against a localish rival who had been telling us how great they were. If we couldn't create an atmosphere for that...

Go back a few weeks before and the games like Wigan and Rotherham where we need a point or 2 to get the PO's - the atmosphere was pretty lame

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 12 Feb 2018 12:10

Old Man Andrews
Theroyalbox People like you old man that are part of this problem mate, with the same toxic atmosphere we will get relegated, why cant people just want to carry the team over the line after a really tough year

On the other side of the coin I won't jump around and shout and holler when the football is so poor, the players aren't putting in effort and the teams manager insults the fans on a weekly basis.

Oh FFS. What absolute nonsense. On a weekly basis, really?

The problem in a place like this is people can spew any garbage they like and post irresponsibly. They are not accountable for anything they say and so they abuse it.

Who are 'the fans'? For starters, he's never insulted you (nor me) because you never boo, right? About all he's ever said is booing doesn't help. Which, it doesn't. You are insulted by that, I'm not.
Last edited by Denver Royal on 12 Feb 2018 12:14, edited 1 time in total.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 12 Feb 2018 12:13

Denver Royal
Old Man Andrews

The problem in a place like this is people can spew any garbage they like and post irresponsibly. They are not accountable for anything they say and so they abuse it.

Who are 'the fans'? For starters, he's never insulted you (nor me) because you never boo, right? About all he's ever said is booing doesn't help. Which, it doesn't.

For the last couple of months he has been on the fans backs, research it. Even last season when we were doing well he was very offish with the supporters.

It isn't garbage, you just don't agree with it because it goes against your hero Jaap and you've taken it personally. Nobody has asked you to agree but a differing opinion isn't "garbage".

Eaststandman

by Eaststandman » 12 Feb 2018 12:16

I'm sorry l don't buy this we are shit fans and it's our fault and the atmosphere is making the team shit! They are well paid, selected individuals, prepared and groomed by a manager to give of their best in a cohesive way! When that happens we get excited, in adversity we get vociferous towards the other team, OUR opponents! It's a circle and the professionals are underperforming!

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 12 Feb 2018 12:17

Old Man Andrews
Denver Royal
Old Man Andrews

Who are 'the fans'? For starters, he's never insulted you (nor me) because you never boo, right? About all he's ever said is booing doesn't help. Which, it doesn't.

For the last couple of months he has been on the fans backs, research it. Even last season when we were doing well he was very offish with the supporters.

It isn't garbage, you just don't agree with it because it goes against your hero Jaap and you've taken it personally. Nobody has asked you to agree but a differing opinion isn't "garbage".

Its not on a weekly basis. So yes, I disagree with that. Its an exaggeration on your part to make things seem worse. Just what we need, right?

Anything he's said was likely directed at a minority of 'the fans'. Not everyone booed Blackett, did they? There were almost 20k 'fans' at the game.

Saying that 'booing doesn't help' is not an 'insult' anyway. Its a fact. Its another exaggeration to make things worse.

He's not my hero. I'm trying to be objective. Everyone already feels bad enough as it is, lets not frame things as being even worse than they are.
Last edited by Denver Royal on 12 Feb 2018 13:18, edited 4 times in total.

Theroyalbox
Hob Nob Regular

by Theroyalbox » 12 Feb 2018 12:23

Eaststandman I'm sorry l don't buy this we are shit fans and it's our fault and the atmosphere is making the team shit! They are well paid, selected individuals, prepared and groomed by a manager to give of their best in a cohesive way! When that happens we get excited, in adversity we get vociferous towards the other team, OUR opponents! It's a circle and the professionals are underperforming!

Im not saying we as fans our in the wrong here, Stam is defo in the wrong but the fact is if we get relegated and apart from a red mark on his CV were the ones who suffer, its our club which gets ruined... if its just the case of taking the morale highground for a few months and getting this team safe, I think we need to be willing to do it

strap
Hob Nob Regular

by strap » 12 Feb 2018 12:58

Eaststandman I'm sorry l don't buy this we are shit fans and it's our fault and the atmosphere is making the team shit! They are well paid, selected individuals, prepared and groomed by a manager to give of their best in a cohesive way! When that happens we get excited, in adversity we get vociferous towards the other team, OUR opponents! It's a circle and the professionals are underperforming!

Can only agree with you. As an example, Monaco regularly play to home crowds of less than 10000. I have no idea what atmosphere they generate, but it won't be anything like Old Trafford etc. The Monaco players certainly seem unaffected by playing home matches in such an environment given they are 2nd in the French Ligue 1.

It really is the responsibility of the players and management, in the first instance, to galvanise the fans and give them something worth shouting about. After all, the fans are paying to be entertained. I cannot think of another example in the "entertainment industry" where the paying customers are expected to galvanise the performers to perform.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 12 Feb 2018 13:17

genome
Hound I don't think I've even heard a single Stam out chant (though I didn't go to Millwall)

There was a chorus of "you're getting sacked in the morning" after Millwall's 2nd
From the Millwall fans.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 12 Feb 2018 13:22

The best way for Stam to improve the atmosphere for his players is to tell the fans to boo him, Let him take the flack - A chant of Sacked in the morning or Stam Out is going to make it clear to the players that they are not the ones being blamed/booed and that will probably be better than gerneric boo's which may affect them.