Who could replace Stam?

603 posts
genome
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Who could replace Stam?

by genome » 13 Feb 2018 09:52

Theroyalbox Id love murty to be readings next manager what a love story that would be and it would bring a lot of fans back

Oh for a chance to sing M-U-R-T-Y again :(

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 13 Feb 2018 10:09

Hoop Blah I'd still be pretty keen on Gary Monk to be honest.

Clement would be interesting too. I quite like what he's about but I'm not convinced he's a manager as opposed to very good coach or assistant.

Pearson or Parky would be fine by me too. Pearson is obviously a bit of a fruitcake but has a solid track record and Parky would just give this lot a kick up the arse and make us a bit more direct and aggressive which I think would make us a lot more entertaining to watch.

I've said this before but whoever replaces Stam I'm pretty certain it will be someone of a similar mould. It won't be a "manager" ala Pearson/Parky etc but more of a Head Coach type such as Clement. I'm not sure where Monk would sit on that spectrum tbh.

Whether people like it or not the structure is in place with Gourlay and Bt (although his position might also be in jeopardy). Stam's replacement will have the same basic philosophy, which is no bad thing in my view, but hopefully will be able to get a hell of a lot more from the current set of players.

It looks to me like the owners have the structure they want in place, they just need to find the right man to implement it all on the pitch.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 13 Feb 2018 10:36

Vision I've said this before but whoever replaces Stam I'm pretty certain it will be someone of a similar mould. It won't be a "manager" ala Pearson/Parky etc but more of a Head Coach type such as Clement. I'm not sure where Monk would sit on that spectrum tbh.

That's an interesting point, and I wouldn't disagree with it apart from to say I'm not sure who has had the final say on transfer targets, Stam or Tevreden, and how that would work moving forward.

Currently the implication is that Stam and Tevreden are very much aligned on philosophy and players because of their background. I wouldn't suggest the club are daft enough to appoint a coach that didn't subscribe to the same style and approach and expect him and the DoF to agree on things but it could be that the relationship becomes more akin to that of Coppell and Hammond, if it isn't already that is.

One87One

by One87One » 13 Feb 2018 11:35

Tevreden’s role has changed quite a bit since Gourlay came in as CEO. Tev is now Technical Director isn’t he, and he has a lot less to do with signings now as Gourlay is very hands on in that respect. I’d prefer both Stam and Tevreden moved on this summer tbh. Neither have impressed me a great deal. Tev’s signings are very hit and miss and clearly not all were Stam’s choice to come in. I’ve never agreed with set-up’s like that.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 13 Feb 2018 13:01

One87One Tev’s signings are very hit and miss and clearly not all were Stam’s choice to come in. I’ve never agreed with set-up’s like that.

Genuine question, by why do you say some were clearly not Stam's signings?

Certainly not a defence of Tevreden as such either, but what manager/DoF doesn't have a hit and miss record with transfers. I'm more inclined to say the transfer policy under Tevreden and Stam is largely miss by the way.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 13 Feb 2018 16:31

Vision I've said this before but whoever replaces Stam I'm pretty certain it will be someone of a similar mould.

Whether people like it or not the structure is in place with Gourlay and Bt (although his position might also be in jeopardy). Stam's replacement will have the same basic philosophy, which is no bad thing in my view.

It looks to me like the owners have the structure they want in place, they just need to find the right man to implement it all on the pitch.

Yep, that's been my assumption, too.

Hoop Blah Certainly not a defence of Tevreden as such either, but what manager/DoF doesn't have a hit and miss record with transfers.

I believe stats show that most transfers in footy in general are a miss.

One87One Tevreden’s role has changed quite a bit since Gourlay came in as CEO. Tev is now Technical Director isn’t he, and he has a lot less to do with signings now as Gourlay is very hands on in that respect. I’d prefer both Stam and Tevreden moved on this summer tbh. Neither have impressed me a great deal. Tev’s signings are very hit and miss and clearly not all were Stam’s choice to come in. I’ve never agreed with set-up’s like that.

I'm with you there. That's why there are problems at Chelsea currently with Conte having little or no say.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 13 Feb 2018 17:22

Denver Royal
Hoop Blah Certainly not a defence of Tevreden as such either, but what manager/DoF doesn't have a hit and miss record with transfers.

That's probably true, especially given that whoever is statistically analysing them won't know the full reasoning for the signing in the first place and a huge number of signings are just cheap punts that are unlikely to work.

Denver Royal
One87One Tevreden’s role has changed quite a bit since Gourlay came in as CEO. Tev is now Technical Director isn’t he, and he has a lot less to do with signings now as Gourlay is very hands on in that respect. I’d prefer both Stam and Tevreden moved on this summer tbh. Neither have impressed me a great deal. Tev’s signings are very hit and miss and clearly not all were Stam’s choice to come in. I’ve never agreed with set-up’s like that.

I'm with you there. That's why there are problems at Chelsea currently with Conte having little or no say.

I'm still interested in why people think that's the case. Not that I'm saying it can't be the case, I'm just genuinely intrigued as to how you work out who was behind a certain signing.

One87One

by One87One » 16 Feb 2018 23:35

There are players who have come in since Stam has been here that he clearly doesn’t fancy. Wieser a good example to start off with. Danzel came in before Stam but was a Tevreden signing as well. Also absolute garbage. Tevreden and Stam can both go! Get a new Manager in who understands the Championship and can spot talent in League One and Two, as Brentford have done so well in doing, copying the Reading of old’s model; and let the Manager choose who comes in when he wants a player.

Dennis the Butler
Location: Wallowing in the Premiership glory ... oh bollox !!

by Dennis the Butler » 17 Feb 2018 08:27

[One87One"]There are players who have come in since Stam has been here that he clearly doesn’t fancy. Wieser a good example to start off with. Danzel came in before Stam but was a Tevreden signing as well. Also absolute garbage. Tevreden and Stam can both go! Get a new Manager in who understands the Championship and can spot talent in League One and Two, as Brentford have done so well in doing, copying the Reading of old’s model; and let the Manager choose who comes in when he wants a player]

Absolutely agree with this !

royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

by royalp-we » 17 Feb 2018 22:53

Denver Royal
Vision I've said this before but whoever replaces Stam I'm pretty certain it will be someone of a similar mould.

Whether people like it or not the structure is in place with Gourlay and Bt (although his position might also be in jeopardy). Stam's replacement will have the same basic philosophy, which is no bad thing in my view.

Yep, that's been my assumption, too.

Quite surprised by your final comment Denver; is this not how the majority of MLS clubs operate?

It's certainly the case with many of Europe's top upper league teams nowadays.

As I posted earlier in the thread; if Gourlay is here when we look again, it will be someone like McClaren / Di Matteo / Clement. The latter two he will know very well from his Chelsea days. All three familiar with this type of structure.

Forest Gump

by Forest Gump » 17 Feb 2018 23:12

Still say someone like Rednapp would be better in a scrap than the current damagement team.
For the longer run Warburton as he has e perience at clubs who struggle financially which appears to be a good fit !
For the future Murty would be great though.

Delboy

by Delboy » 18 Feb 2018 07:02

Although I am not a Stam fan prefer him to go, of the 6 teams at the bottom of the championship who changed manager none have improved, I hope the board are right, I want to stay in this division more than getting rid of Stam !

Muskrat
Hob Nob Regular

by Muskrat » 18 Feb 2018 16:49

Apparently Wycombe turned down an approach from a Championship club for Gareth Ainsworth last week...

double d

by double d » 18 Feb 2018 17:25

Muskrat Apparently Wycombe turned down an approach from a Championship club for Gareth Ainsworth last week...

Leeds? Barnsley?

Muskrat
Hob Nob Regular

by Muskrat » 18 Feb 2018 17:31

What, those two clubs who have just appointed new managers? :roll:

Muskrat
Hob Nob Regular

by Muskrat » 18 Feb 2018 17:53

Actually looks like it was Barnsley who made the approach so the lol's are on me...

double d

by double d » 18 Feb 2018 18:21

Muskrat Actually looks like it was Barnsley who made the approach so the lol's are on me...

I have inside knowledge and contacts inside many professional teams so know the inner workings of lots of them.

Muskrat
Hob Nob Regular

by Muskrat » 18 Feb 2018 20:35

Plus it's on the BBC Sport website :wink:

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 18 Feb 2018 21:56

One87One There are players who have come in since Stam has been here that he clearly doesn’t fancy. Wieser a good example to start off with. Danzel came in before Stam but was a Tevreden signing as well. Also absolute garbage. Tevreden and Stam can both go! Get a new Manager in who understands the Championship and can spot talent in League One and Two, as Brentford have done so well in doing, copying the Reading of old’s model; and let the Manager choose who comes in when he wants a player.

Hang on, so your examples for players signed that Stam had no choice in are:
1) A young low cost punt who didn't make it, and
2) a player signed before he arrived

:?: :|

I wouldn't necessarily expect the first team manager to have final say or much input for young punts, I'd expect that to be as much the reserve / academy manager's domain.

Popa maybe. But the vast majority of our main signings have all been used by Stam to reasonable levels. And you can see where and how most of them are supposed to fit in with how Stam wants us to play (well maybe not Bacuna given he's been mainly stuck at RB). Aluko's a bit of an odd man out, but there's no hint he's not Stam's.

If that's the best you've got, this is firmly under baseless conspiracy theory.

ILoveMoonPig

by ILoveMoonPig » 19 Feb 2018 06:37

I'm still pro Stam. I recon hell turn this around at Forrest. But let's say he were to leave, now that's a toughie.

In an ideal world, you'd get someone like Roberto Martinez. How long did he keep a struggling Wigan side in the premiership? He knows how to fight relegation. I actually thought they played nice football too and when we played Everton in that cup game.

Sadly though, I think we'd need to settle for someone with a lower profile.

As long as it's not just some journey man, I'll be happy. I'd even take Warnock, just because of his history with the club. I would want someone with a point to prove and real desire to achieve, not some manager who bounces from championship team to championship team.

603 posts