What is our best team now?

linkenholtroyal
Hob Nob Regular

What is our best team now?

by linkenholtroyal » 28 Feb 2018 10:50

There is a lot of talk about squad selection. If you had to pick our best 11 who would you all pick now after a season of dross.
So best 11 if all fit
Best 11 with current injuries.

All fit. 4 3 2 1
Jaakola
Gunter
Moore
Mcshane
Obita.
Kelly
Swift
Bacuna
Barrow
Bod.
Mccleary

Current squad with players fit 4-3-1-2

Jaakola
Gunter
Richards
Moore
Llori (because I have to)
Bacuna
Swift
Kelly
Barrow (floating behind front 2)
Martin
Bod

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

Re: What is our best team now?

by Hound » 28 Feb 2018 11:01

its really difficult to say tbh. I do know its not the dross that turned out last night though

Would prob go for

Mannone
Gunter Moore Ilori Richards
Bacuna
Swift Kelly
McCleary Bod Barrow

possibly with Martin in for Swift or Kelly and 4-4-2 but that would be harsh on Kelly, and Swift is potentially our best player. If you could pin Aluko to the right wing, then maybe him instead of GMac

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 28 Feb 2018 11:16

4-2-1-3

Mannone
Edwards Kelly
Swift
Aluko/McCleary** Martin Barrow

**McCleary is only in due to his ability to put a decent cross in, he has been pretty dire, but Aluko is in the same boat - both great players there somewhere.
Evans also just misses out, very tidy player but Kelly just edges it ahead as he has more in his locker.

paddy20
Hob Nob Regular

by paddy20 » 28 Feb 2018 12:06

Coppells Lost Coat 4-2-1-3

Mannone
Edwards Kelly
Swift

**McCleary is only in due to his ability to put a decent cross in, he has been pretty dire, but Aluko is in the same boat - both great players there somewhere.
Evans also just misses out, very tidy player but Kelly just edges it ahead as he has more in his locker.

Maybe Blackett is better than Lori at this moment

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 28 Feb 2018 12:09

linkenholtroyal There is a lot of talk about squad selection. If you had to pick our best 11 who would you all pick now after a season of dross.
So best 11 if all fit

All fit. 4 3 2 1
Jaakola
Gunter
Moore
Mcshane
Obita.
Kelly
Swift
Bacuna
Barrow
Bod.
Mccleary

Jaakola
Gunter
Richards
Moore
Bacuna
Swift
Kelly
Martin
Bod

So you'd rather put the sub keeper in who has only played a couple of League Cup games? I take it you weren't at Stevenage away?

And you'd leave out the striker we have with one of the best goal tallys at this level?

Dreamer.

linkenholtroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by linkenholtroyal » 28 Feb 2018 12:50

John Smith
linkenholtroyal There is a lot of talk about squad selection. If you had to pick our best 11 who would you all pick now after a season of dross.
So best 11 if all fit

All fit. 4 3 2 1
Jaakola
Gunter
Moore
Mcshane
Obita.
Kelly
Swift
Bacuna
Barrow
Bod.
Mccleary

Jaakola
Gunter
Richards
Moore
Bacuna
Swift
Kelly
Martin
Bod

So you'd rather put the sub keeper in who has only played a couple of League Cup games? I take it you weren't at Stevenage away?

And you'd leave out the striker we have with one of the best goal tallys at this level?

Dreamer.

Hey no I wasn't at Stevenage but I can't stand mannone at the moment. I would rather stick a broom with a keepers shirt on at the moment than mannone. He has no influence on his defence and can't catch a ball to save his life. Always has to parry.

I guess you mean ketmorgant being left out. I do see your point but he is definitely not what he was last season and bod is in some kind of form.

CavershamRoyal

by CavershamRoyal » 28 Feb 2018 13:02

Probably something like:

Mannone
Gunter - Moore - Ilori - Richards
Bacuna - Kelly
Aluko - Swift - Barrow
Bod

And then the possibility of replacing one of the midfield with Martin to go two up front.

Aluko hasn't been very good, but occasionally shows flashes of being a good player whilst McCleary looks absolutely shot.
Probably would go Obita over Richards if fit and gets back to the level he was at before the injury.

Think we really need another quality CB, considering McShane looks like he won't be a regular any time soon, and Blackett is, well... Blackett. We don't really have any full back cover either.

If I'm honest, I don't think playing our so-called "best team" will make any difference at the moment. The team selection isn't the main issue, it's the complete lack of confidence. The Derby game should have given the squad some belief, but by all accounts it was usual service resumed yesterday. We just need to grind out a couple of 1-0 wins, play with a bit more freedom and try and build some momentum to take us away from the relegation zone and to provide a little bit of impetus for both the players and the fans going in to next season.

Easier said than done, of course.

pwb

by pwb » 28 Feb 2018 13:33

Our best team would be one without Stam at the helm!

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 28 Feb 2018 13:39

linkenholtroyal What is our best team now?
Reading Ladies

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 28 Feb 2018 14:22

Forbury Lion
linkenholtroyal What is our best team now?
Reading Ladies

Very interesting point, could open the door to boycott Reading games and attend the ladies side instead, still supporting your local team but in a somewhat sideways protest to the mens side.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 28 Feb 2018 14:38

If everyone was fully fit and at their best:

Mannone; Bacuna, Moore, Ilori, Richards; Kelly, Evans, Swift; McCleary, Martin, Barrow

Left out Elphick (who I haven't seen enough of) and Obita (who is out for the whole season).

Could reasonably select any of the three strikers. Bod is in the best form and Kermie is a great player. Think Martin offers the most, but isn't on his game right now.

Don't rate Bacuna as a defensive midfielder and wouldn't pick him ahead of Swift or Kelly in central midfield, so he goes to right back.

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 28 Feb 2018 15:21

SCIAG If everyone was fully fit and at their best:

Mannone; Bacuna, Moore, Ilori, Richards; Kelly, Evans, Swift; McCleary, Martin, Barrow

Left out Elphick (who I haven't seen enough of) and Obita (who is out for the whole season).

Could reasonably select any of the three strikers. Bod is in the best form and Kermie is a great player. Think Martin offers the most, but isn't on his game right now.

Don't rate Bacuna as a defensive midfielder and wouldn't pick him ahead of Swift or Kelly in central midfield, so he goes to right back.

Seems like most people agree ... but Stam persists to see it differently.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 28 Feb 2018 17:33

SCIAG Don't rate Bacuna as a defensive midfielder and wouldn't pick him ahead of Swift or Kelly in central midfield, so he goes to right back.

SCIAG, that's interesting because there was a lot of clamor for Bacuna in midfield, but now it's suggested he gets sent back to right-back. And unless he unseats Gunter there, Leandro Bacuna doesn't even get in this team? And that's even before Elphick gets back.
Last edited by Denver Royal on 28 Feb 2018 18:48, edited 3 times in total.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 28 Feb 2018 18:19

So best 11 if all fit

All fit. 4 3 2 1
Jaakola
Gunter
Moore
Mcshane
Obita.
Kelly
Swift
Bacuna
Barrow
Bod.
Mccleary

Jaakola
Gunter
Richards
Moore
Bacuna
Swift
Kelly
Martin
Bod

Kelly lacks an ability to impose himself on the game. To play him we need more firepower in midfield. With Swift also in the team too lightweight. Bacuna needs a partner , something we just don't have.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 28 Feb 2018 19:11

I'll go for:

Mannone
Gunter, Moore, McShane, Obita
Bacuna, Swift, Kelly
Barrow, Aluko
Bod

Maybe McCleary for Aluko and Kermorgant for Bod but it's hard to gauge as those two have been out injured for a while now.

PistolPete
Hob Nob Regular

by PistolPete » 28 Feb 2018 19:15

:!: If (when) we need a goal, we take off Illori or Blackett for Swift.
:!: Blackett is only a left sided defender as part of a 3. Illori cast be trusted as part of a 2. Van den Berg can't be trusted.
:!:Evans could play instead of Illori in the 3rd centre back/anchorman midfielder role - a bit like Michael Hector did for us for a while.
:!:Mannone is no Ali, but he's better than Jaakkola.
:!:Kermorgant, Quinn and McCleary are done.
:!:Mendes, Obita and Harriott need to get ready for next season, maybe with Meite too.
:!:Clement just isn't the right player for a dogfight.
:!:Elphick might just be useful by the ned of the season.
:!:Martin can come on for Bod when he's run himself into the ground - shame it won't ever be the other way around.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 28 Feb 2018 19:26

In rely to the o.p. I would have Mo and Richards as definite starters plus 9 others with preferably not a Dutch player in sight.
For whatever reason Liam Moore has this season been a moderate centre-back.
Last season he was a colossus but this season he has become ordinary.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 01 Mar 2018 11:04

Some incredible cluelessness here: Tommy Elphick and Chris Martin are the first names on the team sheet when fit - how is that not clearly apparent to all of you on here?

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 01 Mar 2018 11:20

John Smith Some incredible cluelessness here: Tommy Elphick and Chris Martin are the first names on the team sheet when fit - how is that not clearly apparent to all of you on here?

Yes, TBF, Martin's 17 goals have made one heck of a difference

russyb

by russyb » 01 Mar 2018 11:26

paddy20
Coppells Lost Coat 4-2-1-3

Mannone
Edwards Kelly
Swift

Maybe Blackett is better than Lori at this moment

I Think Blackett would be much better off playing as a centre half anyway and should be considered an option there. Also the young player Arenderssen (is it?)