Rival Watch

17149 posts
Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Rival Watch

by Silver Fox » 07 Mar 2018 09:04

CountryRoyal Barnsley therefore favorites for the drop but they've probably got a lot more fight in then us.

Based on what exactly?

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 07 Mar 2018 13:51

Silver Fox
CountryRoyal Barnsley therefore favorites for the drop but they've probably got a lot more fight in then us.

Based on what exactly?

Less talented players. Northern.

That's about it.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 07 Mar 2018 20:54

You know, I thought there was a possibility Wolves would have stayed within FFP, largely thanks to their profit posted the season before last but they just released last season's accounts and they lost £23m, add on what they'll undoubtedly lose this season, are they really going to stay within the FFP figure?

Either way, it really shows the difference in levels of investment, not ignoring that with our level investment, we should have expected mid-table as a minimum.
Last edited by tidus_mi2 on 07 Mar 2018 22:45, edited 1 time in total.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 07 Mar 2018 20:55

On a more related to us note, Wolves are making Leeds look like complete pushovers, hopefully that will be positive for us when we play Leeds at the weekend, not forgetting they've only won once since Boxing Day.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 07 Mar 2018 21:01

tidus_mi2 On a more related to us note, Wolves are making Leeds look like complete pushovers, hopefully that will be positive for us when we play Leeds at the weekend, not forgetting they've only won once since Boxing Day.

It’s the sort of game we need. Leeds in mid table with very little to play for and in poor form. The atmosphere will be much livelier on Saturday. That will help. We have a very decent record against them (much like Derby)
I think we will win on Saturday......although I have been overly optimistic before too many games this season!

Horsham Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Horsham Royal » 07 Mar 2018 22:29

tidus_mi2 ... and they lost £23 ...
If only they'd sold a dozen more pies :-)

tidus_mi2 ... are they really going to stay within the FFP figure?
Don't know about Wolves' position but given the investment gets spread over the length of the contract, I've been wondering if our contract extensions this season were to lighten up our FFP position a little. Or have I got that totally wrong?

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 08 Mar 2018 08:53

Horsham Royal

Don't know about Wolves' position but given the investment gets spread over the length of the contract, I've been wondering if our contract extensions this season were to lighten up our FFP position a little. Or have I got that totally wrong?

I think that would only apply if they were signings. ie Aluko's fee would be spread over the 4 ( :( ) years of his contract
Last edited by Hound on 08 Mar 2018 09:49, edited 1 time in total.

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 08 Mar 2018 09:09

Hound
Horsham Royal

I think that would only apply if they were signings. ie Aluko's fee would be spread over the 4 ( : ( ) years of his contract

Yes, that's true. Essentially, apart from wages, a player is "free" in FFP terms if he keeps extending a contract. the only case where the FFP would be affected by a contract extension is if there was an "option to extend" built into the original contract - as I understand it, whether FFP per year cost is spread over the initial length or the "extended length" boils down to who has control over the extension - the player or the club.

It's worth noting of course that actual losses and FFP losses aren't the same thing. If some of those losses arise from subsidising an academy, etc, they won't count.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 08 Mar 2018 09:42

Sheffield Wednesday since Carvahal's departure:

- lost the last 5 games
- taken just 7 points from the last possible 30
- new all time low record for consecutive games lost
- host Bolton on Saturday.

Should they not pick up maximum points vs. Bolton, does Luhukay go?

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 08 Mar 2018 09:44

John Smith Sheffield Wednesday since Carvahal's departure:

- lost the last 5 games

I think they are fairly safe so my guess is they will wait until the end of the season and then go after Mick McCarthy who is out of contract in June. They want him anyway and won't have to pay compo if they wait.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 08 Mar 2018 09:48

certainly their game against Bolton is a biggie. Would be a huge one for either to win, and Sheff Weds would undoubtedly be in the mix if they lose the game. A win and you'd think they have enough of a cushion

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 08 Mar 2018 09:53

I always think Luhukay looks like a Bond villain

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 08 Mar 2018 09:53

genome I always think Luhukay looks like a Bond villain

I just don't trust that moustache at all, deeply questionable.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 08 Mar 2018 09:54

Old Man Andrews

- lost the last 5 games

I think they are fairly safe so my guess is they will wait until the end of the season and then go after Mick McCarthy who is out of contract in June. They want him anyway and won't have to pay compo if they wait.

I think you're probably right as I've heard the same thing. I think they are now where they belong and I'm glad to see them in the mire because they have ideas above their station.

IF they lose against Bolton, the following game is away to Leeds United. They then play PNE at home.

If they lose all three - does Luhukay go?

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 08 Mar 2018 10:20

John Smith
Old Man Andrews

- lost the last 5 games

I think you're probably right as I've heard the same thing. I think they are now where they belong and I'm glad to see them in the mire because they have ideas above their station.

IF they lose against Bolton, the following game is away to Leeds United. They then play PNE at home.

If they lose all three - does Luhukay go?

Tell you what, why don't you create a poll on Owls.com?

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 08 Mar 2018 10:44

muirinho
Hound
Horsham Royal If only they'd sold a dozen more pies :-)

I think that would only apply if they were signings. ie Aluko's fee would be spread over the 4 ( : ( ) years of his contract

Yes, that's true. Essentially, apart from wages, a player is "free" in FFP terms if he keeps extending a contract. the only case where the FFP would be affected by a contract extension is if there was an "option to extend" built into the original contract - as I understand it, whether FFP per year cost is spread over the initial length or the "extended length" boils down to who has control over the extension - the player or the club.

It's worth noting of course that actual losses and FFP losses aren't the same thing. If some of those losses arise from subsidising an academy, etc, they won't count.

Not FFP but interesting*

Leeds owner speaking about Wolves

https://www.leeds-live.co.uk/sport/leed ... i-14381998

"We have our own problems but we should play in a fair competition," he began.

"Not legal and fair let one team owned by a fund whom has shares in the biggest players agency with evident benefits (top European clubs giving players with options to buy ..why the other 23 teams can’t have same treatment ? We should play all 24 with the same rules and opportunities (it s enough to google it) @EFL ."

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 08 Mar 2018 11:04

Old Man Andrews

- lost the last 5 games

If they lose and we win on Saturday, they will be 19th. Will they still be fairly safe?

Could be a massive game when we visit there next month, so hopefully they keep hold of Luhukay.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 08 Mar 2018 11:22

Stranded If they [Sheffield Wednesday] lose and we win on Saturday, they will be 19th. Will they still be fairly safe?

Could be a massive game when we visit there next month, so hopefully they keep hold of Luhukay.

I'm 90% sure they will be. However they still have Bolton, Sunderland, Hull and us to play. Lose all of them and they're in huge trouble

UpNorth

by UpNorth » 08 Mar 2018 11:34

The locals up here think Wednesday are shot since their derby defeat. They are saying they won't win another game this season. Sounds familiar! Can see them losing on Saturday. If they carry on like this I can see us getting points when we visit next month.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 08 Mar 2018 13:31

Us and Wednesday are seriously suffering a play-off hangover, kudos to Fulham for flying the flag.

17149 posts