FAO Season Ticket Holders - Renew or not?

Renew or not?

Yes - Now that Stam's gone
22%
8%
4%
8%
4%
17%
12%
7%
Ian Royal says Yes - Now that Stam's gone
10%
Yes - Now that Stam's gone (but don't tell Ian Royal I agree with him)
7%

Total votes: 166
Hound
Hob Nob Legend

Re: FAO Season Ticket Holders - Renew or not?

by Hound » 14 Mar 2018 11:37

Barney 100% will renew.

Stam will be gone, as will 8-10 of the 'players' that are illegally making a living pretending to play for RFC.

Am actually looking forward to next season, once the dead wood (Gunter, VDB, McCleary etc etc etc) have long since gone.

was mulling it over a little - I know the relegation would/wouldnt be a disaster discussion has been had, but wonder solely on an entertainment point of view if we say got relegated, and got rid of:

Mannone, Gunter, Moore, Ilori, Blackett, Bacuna, Joey, Aluko, Popa, Swift, Barrow (sadly) and replaced with Novakovich, Meite + a few other decent lower league signings along with a sensible number of academy lads (Loader, Smith, Rinomhota, Andresson or Osho maybe), we'd probably have a much more entertaining product to go and watch, with still the basis of a team capable of top 3 in the division below.

Whether we could bin all the deadwood considering the contracts they are on is a different matter though

WAZZOCK

by WAZZOCK » 14 Mar 2018 17:02

Zip
WAZZOCK
Zip

Well I can tell you where my son and I sit. We are in the family section of the ED stand. It costs £22 for the two of us for a match. My ST was £320 I think and my lads was £99 or £89. I think I paid £409 in total for our ST’s. So if we miss four games during the season we are no better off especially when you factor that it would only have cost us £6 for the Burton pre Christmas game.

That’s works out as missing roughly 5 and half matches to be ‘no better off’, which is almost a quarter of the season. That’s quite a chunk to miss, but if you know you’re guaranteed to miss that many or above then perhaps it would be worth not renewing. For me, the convenience of having the ticket ready and waiting would add extra couple of matches making having a Season ticket more worthwhile.

In the wake of the Burton match the club released the below, I think it outlines the benefits of having a Season Ticket quite nicely...

Season Ticket Holders still receive - and always will receive - the very best value for money at Reading Football Club. They are most cost-effective way to watch all the Royals’ home games.

Reading Football Club continue to lead the way on making football affordable for its supporters – low Season Ticket prices which included Early Bird discounts, free tickets for Under-7s, the introduction of an 18-24 ticket and our ongoing commitment to Twenty’s Plenty! And that Twenty's Plenty promise has seen Royals fans benefit from the initiative in the form of reciprocal offers from other clubs for Reading fans on the road!

And as a club, we run a selection of matchday promotions to attract new supporters to the stadium; no doubt most supporters will have seen or heard about our 500p ticket on sale now to all supporters ahead of our final home fixture of 2017 against Burton…the 500th first team fixture to be played at Madejski Stadium since our move from Elm Park in 1998!

However, even if a non-Season Ticket holder takes up this promotion and capitalises on the four-match ticket bundle offer and the ‘Yorkshire Double Header’ initiatives we ran earlier this month, they would still be paying considerably more than a Season Ticket Holder per match across the course of the campaign.

And the majority of ticket promotion offers which are run by the club are only redeemable by Season Ticket holders themselves as we constantly encourage our most loyal fans to bring family and friends for discounted ticket prices.

Although the bottom line is that Season Tickets still offer the best value for money, it is also important to highlight all the offers which have been open exclusively to ST holders in recent months…

Season Ticket holders have won a holiday for two to Thailand, complimentary use of an Executive Box for a home fixture, a private group stadium tour, a dugout chair and signed home and away shirts amongst other prizes offered only to ST holders.

And, as Royals Rewards is designed to do, Season Ticket Holders are also rewarded for their loyalty, getting something back from the club for simply attending matches – accruing points which can be used to enter a whole host of competitions only open to ST holders!

And, as a Season Ticket Holder, you automatically benefit from priority ticket access for away games and cup games – for example, supporters would have only managed to purchase a ticket for the first leg of our semi-final at Fulham if they were a Season Ticket Holder. And, in addition, as a ST holder you are able to access an exclusive hospitality upgrade discount at all league matches throughout the season.

You need to check your maths £22 x 19=£418. However the Burton pre Christmas game would only have cost me £6 for the two of us so knock off £16 from the £22 per game means I would be paying £402 to attend 19 games this season if I paid on a match by match basis. As I said if I miss four games in a season I am no better off.

A couple of points:

1) You do realise we have 23 home league games a season don’t you?

2) The Burton match was a one-off occasion to celebrate a feat that was 19 and a half years in the making. There is a chance that something may happen for the 20th anniversary of the stadium, but it’s not something that’s set in stone on a season by season basis.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 14 Mar 2018 17:23

Oddly I'll probably renew if we go, down even if Jaap's still boss, so I be confident of getting tickets for the smaller grounds I've not been to yet

If we don't go down it'll depend on pricing and/or who is manager.

Really hoping it's the latter.

The Reverend

by The Reverend » 14 Mar 2018 17:49

I'm already on record stating that I won't renew with Stam at the helm.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 14 Mar 2018 18:48

WAZZOCK
Zip
WAZZOCK
That’s works out as missing roughly 5 and half matches to be ‘no better off’, which is almost a quarter of the season. That’s quite a chunk to miss, but if you know you’re guaranteed to miss that many or above then perhaps it would be worth not renewing. For me, the convenience of having the ticket ready and waiting would add extra couple of matches making having a Season ticket more worthwhile.

In the wake of the Burton match the club released the below, I think it outlines the benefits of having a Season Ticket quite nicely...

You need to check your maths £22 x 19=£418. However the Burton pre Christmas game would only have cost me £6 for the two of us so knock off £16 from the £22 per game means I would be paying £402 to attend 19 games this season if I paid on a match by match basis. As I said if I miss four games in a season I am no better off.

A couple of points:

1) You do realise we have 23 home league games a season don’t you?

2) The Burton match was a one-off occasion to celebrate a feat that was 19 and a half years in the making. There is a chance that something may happen for the 20th anniversary of the stadium, but it’s not something that’s set in stone on a season by season basis.

I’m losing the will to live here. This is basic stuff. (23-19) =4. So if I attend 19 games and not 23 then it is cheaper for me to pay on a game by game basis. See the calcs as above. As for your second point I can assure you the club have offered cheap tickets at similar prices to Burton in recent seasons. It may have been Blackburn last season. So just to recap it starts becoming no better off if I miss four games and NOT 5 1/2 matches.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 14 Mar 2018 18:51

Zip I’m losing the will to live here. This is basic stuff. (23-19) =4. So if I attend 19 games and not 23 then it is cheaper for me to pay on a game by game basis. See the calcs as above. As for your second point I can assure you the club have offered cheap tickets at similar prices to Burton in recent seasons. It may have been Blackburn last season. So just to recap it starts becoming no better off if I miss four games and NOT 5 1/2 matches.

Perhaps it's an indication that prices for next season may be lowered to maintain the fanbase.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 14 Mar 2018 18:56

Lower West
Zip I’m losing the will to live here. This is basic stuff. (23-19) =4. So if I attend 19 games and not 23 then it is cheaper for me to pay on a game by game basis. See the calcs as above. As for your second point I can assure you the club have offered cheap tickets at similar prices to Burton in recent seasons. It may have been Blackburn last season. So just to recap it starts becoming no better off if I miss four games and NOT 5 1/2 matches.

Perhaps it's an indication that prices for next season may be lowered to maintain the fanbase.

I think so. Even if we stay up I reckon a significant percentage of STHs won’t renew. I dread to think what will happen to ST numbers if we get relegated.
I don’t have a problem with ST prices. I reckon the match day price in the ED stand for the family section is superb. It lessons my desire to renew my ST when I can get cheap tickets and pick and chose when I go. Perhaps prices for non STHs should be increased.

madreadingfan

by madreadingfan » 14 Mar 2018 19:09

I'll be renewing no matter what division or who is in charge.

It's just not about football on the pitch, I have a few pints before with mates in the fan zone and watch the early kick off. I love going to watch the football and having a few drinks with some mates, I hate the summer when there is no football on a Saturday.

I'd suggest people make a day of it rather than just going to football to make it bearable.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 14 Mar 2018 19:12

madreadingfan I'll be renewing no matter what division or who is in charge.

It's just not about football on the pitch, I have a few pints before with mates in the fan zone and watch the early kick off. I love going to watch the football and having a few drinks with some mates, I hate the summer when there is no football on a Saturday.

I'd suggest people make a day of it rather than just going to football to make it bearable.

Fully understand that but not so easy when you are going to the games with a 15 year old son. I also manage an under 15 football team and training is on Saturday mornings. I live 75 miles from the ground so it’s a rush to get to the game as it is. We are all different and it’s good that we have loyal fans like you who will attend week in week out. Without them there would be no club.

madreadingfan

by madreadingfan » 14 Mar 2018 20:59

Zip
madreadingfan I'll be renewing no matter what division or who is in charge.

Fully understand that but not so easy when you are going to the games with a 15 year old son. I also manage an under 15 football team and training is on Saturday mornings. I live 75 miles from the ground so it’s a rush to get to the game as it is. We are all different and it’s good that we have loyal fans like you who will attend week in week out. Without them there would be no club.

My comment doesn't obviously apply to everyone but would recommend making a day of it if fans are able to.

The Reverend

by The Reverend » 15 Mar 2018 08:50

I live in Twyford. Maidenhead Utd is a 6 minute train ride away. Pretty sure I can make a good day out of that

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 15 Mar 2018 10:29

And Woking is a similar distance from me these days.

Having supported from a distance for many years, when I finally gave up playing, I followed the "support your local team" principle from the early 90's, which culminated in a season ticket from 2000. A few years later, I was going home and away riding the crest of the wave as we enjoyed fantastic success from our "Reading Way" approach to competing with those who enjoyed greater resources.

Yes, there were dark moments (like every play-off final :| ) and getting relegated the season before moving into a fantastic new stadium, but it never felt like it does now :|

Things were grim for a while under Bullivant and Burns but everyone new they wouldn't be allowed to drive us into the dirt indefinitely without being relieved of their duties.

Now, Stam has been killing this club for months but he's still here despite the fact we look less likely to win a game with every passing week.

So, if we stay up (and I agree one win should do it but who do we look like beating :| ) Stam stays, and if we go down I still suspect he will be kept on.

I'm not watching another game with this man and his God awful football in charge. Sack him and I'll renew regardless, if not, it's Woking and trips to the big boys in the smoke for me.

Jaytee

by Jaytee » 15 Mar 2018 10:52

Depends if you are a fan, surely. If you are then Yes! If you think No then you are not a fan. So its your decision - are you a fan or not??

The Reverend

by The Reverend » 15 Mar 2018 11:32

Jaytee Depends if you are a fan, surely. If you are then Yes! If you think No then you are not a fan. So its your decision - are you a fan or not??

Ha ha, that old chestnut

WAZZOCK

by WAZZOCK » 15 Mar 2018 11:50

A bit strong after 2 messages, are you having a bad week? :lol:

I did allude to following in my first post which referred to your situation:

but if you know you’re guaranteed to miss that many or above then perhaps it would be worth not renewing

My maths were general rules for supporters, as I would imagine most supporters won’t write off four games before a ball has even been kicked.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 15 Mar 2018 13:29

What about if you miss 4 1/2 games?

East Grinstead Royal

by East Grinstead Royal » 15 Mar 2018 15:04

I got my first ST in 75/76 and saw us win promotion for the first time in 50 years. Renewed for the next 4 seasons then moved away from the area and just turned up for the odd game when I could for a few years but stopped in the early 90s. When I moved to Sussex in the late 90s I started going now and then and eventually got another ST after the play-off against Walsall as I was convinced we would get promoted the following season and knew there was a 50% chance that it would be decided at an away game. We did and it was. Been a STH ever since but it was my then 18yo son who convinced me to renew this season. Through work and family commitments, I've missed 4 or 5 home games this season (it's normally 2 or 3) so I've not really had value for my money - although I don't think anyone who's been to every game has had value for money this season.

I have a feeling that if I don't renew, I'll get out of the habit of going and I don't want that to happen, but whenever I wake up on a Saturday and think, "Reading are at home today," it's accompanied by a feeling of gloom.

However, I do remember the day we won promotion to the PL for the first time, thinking "This is the very best time to support Reading, enjoy it, it's why we support our club through the bad times." And that's the point, really. It's OUR club, not Stam's, Gourlay's or the Chinese owners. We shouldn't let it go. If we support the club at times like this, the good times are much sweeter.

So, yeah, I will almost certainly renew. Whatever happens, it's got to be better than this season... hasn't it?

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 15 Mar 2018 21:16

WAZZOCK

but if you know you’re guaranteed to miss that many or above then perhaps it would be worth not renewing

My maths were general rules for supporters, as I would imagine most supporters won’t write off four games before a ball has even been kicked.

I didn’t write off four games at all. I was en route to the game against Barnsley when my other half rang me to advise my dad had suffered a stroke had been rushed to hospital. I had also been en route to the Sheff We’d game three days earlier and gut stuck in tailbacks because the M4 had been closed at two junctions and realised I wouldnt make the game.
I gave the Cardiff game a swerve because it was due to be -11c that night where we live.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 15 Mar 2018 21:16

John Smith

What about if you miss 4 1/2 games?

Don’t you start!

WAZZOCK

by WAZZOCK » 16 Mar 2018 13:14

Zip
WAZZOCK

I didn’t write off four games at all. I was en route to the game against Barnsley when my other half rang me to advise my dad had suffered a stroke had been rushed to hospital. I had also been en route to the Sheff We’d game three days earlier and gut stuck in tailbacks because the M4 had been closed at two junctions and realised I wouldnt make the game.
I gave the Cardiff game a swerve because it was due to be -11c that night where we live.

Ok, so you’ve missed four matches due to uncommon circumstances this year and normally you’d make all 23 matches?

So when planning for next season you should use 23 games as a barometer, not 19.

You’re welcome.