Stam Gone

355 posts
genome
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Stam Gone

by genome » 22 Mar 2018 09:42

Old Man Andrews Great to see the mask has slipped for Denver Royal and he is having a full post Stam breakdown. Lovely stuff.

I've read that reply to Muskrat about 3 times, and I still can't figure out what he's trying to say.

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 22 Mar 2018 10:09

genome
Old Man Andrews Great to see the mask has slipped for Denver Royal and he is having a full post Stam breakdown. Lovely stuff.

I've read that reply to Muskrat about 3 times, and I still can't figure out what he's trying to say.

No idea either, so I'd put it down to being "tired and emotional"

I'm probably one of the more pro-Stam elements on the board, I think he and the team were desperately unlucky at times this season, and very small margins would have made a big difference.

But, there comes a point when - even if what has gone before is not all your fault, if you don't know how to fix it, you've got to make way for somebody who can.

I just hope it's not too late.

One of the positives coming out of this, though, is what it shows about the owners.

They took action - so the conspiracy theories about them deliberately trying to run the club into the ground are shown to be hogwash
They didn't do it 3 months ago. I know this will upset some, but it shows that they aren't going to panic, and sack managers at the drop of a hat. This (a) makes Reading a better prospect for potential managers to come to, and (b) aids the stability of the club. We have plenty evidence of what happens with clubs with trigger-happy owners.
Also, it sounds like they've been checking out the availability (and interest in the job) of Paul Clement (and maybe others) before they made their move - rather than sacking first, and thinking later. (This may be why Stam didn't get the push a few weeks ago - they were working out who they could get instead)

In other words, they might actually know how to run a football club. It's almost as if they've done this before. Who knew?

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 22 Mar 2018 10:12

spot on Muirinho. Agree with all of that

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 22 Mar 2018 10:16

The biggest mistake and regret Stam can have is not going for it in last seasons play off final. It has turned out to be a critical error that he has never truly recovered from. I firmly believe we would have beaten Huddersfield had we set off on the front foot in that game.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 22 Mar 2018 10:21

LWJ Those of you who think the negativity was solely on Twitter or this spackerboard are living in cuckoo land. There has been very little support for the club, especially at home, when the going got tough.
There's a difference between being negative, not supporting and being a complete retard by using phrases like ‘Bald nonce’, ‘bald oxf*rd’ and ‘dutch bastard’ in reference to the manager at the time.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 22 Mar 2018 10:30

Stam says he doesn't have any friends in football - this sounds like someone without the man management skillset to deal with the kind of players who need a friendly arm round their shoulder/pat on the back rather than a team of Dave Kitson type characters who would want to be left alone to get on with it..... which is fine, if he recruited a team of Dave Kitson type characters, he could get by being hands off in terms of people management, but I suspect we have a mixed bag.

Awayawayaway

by Awayawayaway » 22 Mar 2018 10:30

Woodcote Royal
Awayawayaway
Woodcote Royal :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P

Whatever division we're in next season, the real nightmare is over. :|

While Chris Gunter may be hiding in a broom cupboard crying his eyes out, I suspect most of the squad are doing cart wheels like the rest of us.

Now is the time to fill those blue seats again and to do our bit to keep us where we belong.

I have no issues with Japp the man and wish him well but this season has been as poor as I can remember and he should have gone months ago.

We need someone fresh until the end of the season and not one of Stam's tried and grossly under achieved coaching team stepping up.

Now looking forward to Good Friday!

Anyone who thinks the real nightmare is over is delusional. We need a team and squad built intelligently, instead of a fat cnut in a tight suit and cheap shades just chucking players in willy nilly. Yes a big problem has been dealt with, but bigger problems are still there in BT and Gourlay.

No manager worth their salt will come here and by not sacking BT, it's obvious that whoever comes in will have to dance to their tune.

I’m not sure how delusional you need to be not to see the following.

Stam had spent the last few months driving this club into the dirt.

For the first time in more than a decade, the team was playing in a half empty stadium as we managed just one win in 18 games.

This was despite a third place finish last season being followed by record summer investment.

Despite having one of the most talented squads in our history, team performances continued to deteriorate throughout the season in a league in which it should have thrived.

While I, too, have my reservations about our CEO and DoF (in part because we still don’t know a lot about them) we still have the same owners who have been prepared to invest heavily in the club (including a loan of £10m before they had been granted permission to buy the club :| ) and we still have the same talented squad along with one of the best academy’s in the country.

Sony Aluko aside, our new owners’ money has been largely well invested regardless of who made those decisions. If it was Stam it means he couldn’t mould the players of his choice into a team that was at least the sum of it’s parts or, if it was the DoF, more of the same please!

While relegation would be a huge blow, we still have the scope to create a very decent Div 1 side in house while off loading those who should have left the Championship through it’s roof rather than the trap door.

All of the above is why the real nightmare is over.

This club is still a very decent
one that just needs a decent manager to realise it’s full potential

No dig at you personally intended mate.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 22 Mar 2018 10:31

Old Man Andrews The biggest mistake and regret Stam can have is not going for it in last seasons play off final. It has turned out to be a critical error that he has never truly recovered from. I firmly believe we would have beaten Huddersfield had we set off on the front foot in that game.

I think thats fair. Especially in extra time, Mendes should have come on and tried to win the game. They were looking tired, their captain had gone off, and they hadn't scored anything other than an own goal for about 6 games before.

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 22 Mar 2018 10:34

Forbury Lion Stam says he doesn't have any friends in football - this sounds like someone without the man management skillset to deal with the kind of players who need a friendly arm round their shoulder/pat on the back rather than a team of Dave Kitson type characters who would want to be left alone to get on with it..... which is fine, if he recruited a team of Dave Kitson type characters, he could get by being hands off in terms of people management, but I suspect we have a mixed bag.

Was thinking about this myself. I wonder if that is where the loss of Steven Reid might have made a difference. If you don't have something in your skillset, you need to have somebody in your team who does.

I don't think the players disliked him or saw him as remote. But I do think he couldn't build up their confidence once they lost it. I hope the new manager, or one of his backroom team that he brings with him, can do that. Because that's needed more than anything else right now.

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 22 Mar 2018 11:23

Old Man Andrews The biggest mistake and regret Stam can have is not going for it in last seasons play off final. It has turned out to be a critical error that he has never truly recovered from. I firmly believe we would have beaten Huddersfield had we set off on the front foot in that game.

We certainly couldn't have played it any worse. Having a go and still losing would have been far more palatable to fans and I dare say to players.

Highlights on Sky today at 2pm if you want a reminder :)

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 22 Mar 2018 11:26

bcubed

We certainly couldn't have played it any worse. Having a go and still losing would have been far more palatable to fans and I dare say to players.

No way are they showing that game again??? One of the worst high profile football matches of all time surely?

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 22 Mar 2018 11:27

Old Man Andrews
bcubed

No way are they showing that game again??? One of the worst high profile football matches of all time surely?

Yeh I doubt the viewing figures will be too high

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 22 Mar 2018 13:23

https://www.telegraaf.nl/sport/1819605/ ... t-is-klote

Pelle Clement: "This is shit. I had not seen this coming after last weekend. That means that they have been in conversation for a long time to make this decision."

:lol:

6ft Kerplunk
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by 6ft Kerplunk » 22 Mar 2018 13:54

bcubed Highlights on Sky today at 2pm if you want a reminder :)

What's on after at 2:07?

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 22 Mar 2018 14:16

6ft Kerplunk
bcubed Highlights on Sky today at 2pm if you want a reminder :)

What's on after at 2:07?

Unfortunately it lasts an hour!

Just checked in - It's half time
Summed up - plenty of possession for Reading, two good chances for Huddersfield

Tilehurstsouthbank
Hob Nob Regular

by Tilehurstsouthbank » 22 Mar 2018 14:47

Awayawayaway There was no sign that the players were unhappy with Stam. All signs were that they fully supported him.

It was Jaaps tactical jeneus that was the issue.

The irony of you misspelling genius...

Awayawayaway

by Awayawayaway » 22 Mar 2018 14:50

Tilehurstsouthbank
Awayawayaway There was no sign that the players were unhappy with Stam. All signs were that they fully supported him.

It was Jaaps tactical jeneus that was the issue.

The irony of you misspelling genius...

Doh. Quick type and run :lol:

Deserved berating.

Tilehurstsouthbank
Hob Nob Regular

by Tilehurstsouthbank » 22 Mar 2018 14:51

double d Stam had not lost the dressing room at all. I have it on very good authority he was in there after the Norwich game.

Not sure if that was a an unintentional joke but still kinda funny! :D

Tilehurstsouthbank
Hob Nob Regular

by Tilehurstsouthbank » 22 Mar 2018 15:03

muirinho
genome

I'm probably one of the more pro-Stam elements on the board, I think he and the team were desperately unlucky at times this season, and very small margins would have made a big difference.

But, there comes a point when - even if what has gone before is not all your fault, if you don't know how to fix it, you've got to make way for somebody who can.

One of the positives coming out of this, though, is what it shows about the owners.

They took action - so the conspiracy theories about them deliberately trying to run the club into the ground are shown to be hogwash
They didn't do it 3 months ago. I know this will upset some, but it shows that they aren't going to panic, and sack managers at the drop of a hat. This (a) makes Reading a better prospect for potential managers to come to, and (b) aids the stability of the club. We have plenty evidence of what happens with clubs with trigger-happy owners.
Also, it sounds like they've been checking out the availability (and interest in the job) of Paul Clement (and maybe others) before they made their move - rather than sacking first, and thinking later. (This may be why Stam didn't get the push a few weeks ago - they were working out who they could get instead)

In other words, they might actually know how to run a football club. It's almost as if they've done this before. Who knew?

Candidate for post of the year. Cap dothed! :wink:

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 22 Mar 2018 15:08

Tilehurstsouthbank
muirinho
genome

Candidate for post of the year. Cap dothed! :wink:

Thou doth shirley mean thou 'doffed' thy cap?

355 posts