BFTG - Preston -Home

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

BFTG - Preston -Home

by PieEater » 07 Apr 2018 17:46

You have to hand it to Clement, 2 home wins in 2 games, and those points probably keep us up.

It wasn't pretty, Preston were organised and closed us down all game, their plan seemed to be to buy free kicks and nick a goal from set pieces

Although they hit the bar twice I thought on balance we deserved the win. I've no idea how their right back stayed on, so many fouls and cynical challenges yet the ref somehow didn't produce the second yellow.

Good games from Moore and Illori we're seeing blocks that we haven't seen all season.

A point or a result next week and we're safe

The Real Sandhurst Royal
Hob Nob Regular

Re: BFTG - Preston -Home

by The Real Sandhurst Royal » 07 Apr 2018 17:59

A much needed 3 points after the Barnsley result earlier in the day.

Great to see a back four that is organised with Liam Moore immense.

Clement looked good when he came on.

blueroyals
Hob Nob Regular

by blueroyals » 07 Apr 2018 18:00

Barnsley have a very winnable game in hand against Forest. If they win that the gap is back to 2 points. Not close to being safe yet.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 07 Apr 2018 18:09

blueroyals Barnsley have a very winnable game in hand against Forest. If they win that the gap is back to 2 points. Not close to being safe yet.

So why are we looking at Barnsley, and not Birmingham and Bolton who both have very challenging run-ins? 3 teams teams need to pass us, not just one.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 07 Apr 2018 18:18

Just got back. Really good win. PNE were rubbish, how are they near the playoffs?

Moore was just outstanding. He won 21 headers :shock:

marlowuk

by marlowuk » 07 Apr 2018 18:20

blueroyals Barnsley have a very winnable game in hand against Forest. If they win that the gap is back to 2 points. Not close to being safe yet.

Absolutely! We needed 3 points today given how the other teams around us fared. To also get a clean sheet, win on a Saturday afternoon and finish with 11 men on the field were bonuses!

However, we'll get nothing from Fulham; Sunderland will be fighting for their lives; Ipswich and Sheff Weds have nothing to play for and Cardiff may be secure in the top two (and therefore already on the beach) or may be in the play-offs (and therefore play a weakened team against us) otherwise we get nothing from them.

We ought to be OK, but we are far from being safe.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 07 Apr 2018 18:25

marlowuk

Absolutely! We needed 3 points today given how the other teams around us fared. To also get a clean sheet, win on a Saturday afternoon and finish with 11 men on the field were bonuses!

However, we'll get nothing from Fulham; Sunderland will be fighting for their lives; Ipswich and Sheff Weds have nothing to play for and Cardiff may be secure in the top two (and therefore already on the beach) or may be in the play-offs (and therefore play a weakened team against us) otherwise we get nothing from them.

We ought to be OK, but we are far from being safe.

Nobody said we were.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 07 Apr 2018 18:25

Moore and Ilori seem to be benefitting from being allowed to concentrate on defending, rather than fcuking about with it at the back.

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 07 Apr 2018 18:30

'Oh my darling, oh my darling, oh my darling, Clement-ine.'

Westwood52
Hob Nob Regular

by Westwood52 » 07 Apr 2018 18:40

I have to admit I had a Colin Firth (Fever Pitch) moment middle of 2nd half, and thought you know what we deserve to go down-Stam had put together a team of staggering incompetence-then reality kicked in & I thought this is just the Championship; get fit, work hard and you've got a chance. TBF to Stam ; he had little in the way of luck this season;but its balanced out in the last couple of home games-PNE's shooting was generally very poor, and when they did get on target Vito either saved it or it hit the bar or post.Make no mistake PNE were better than us-particularly in midfield; fortunately they are well down on quality.
IMHO:
Vito 9: Couple of good saves; only downside was his kicking out of hand was way off target.

Gunts 6: Typical performance-technically OK-but still backs off letting numerous crosses get in-never got forward.

Richards 5: Impressive going forward , but made several mistakes 1st half -PNE targeted him. There is a very good FB in there given time.
Moore 9: MOM-simply superb-the heart of the team-probably should have scored and got caught out (once)-otherwise a 10
Ilori 7: Its amazing how a new manager, has improved his game-just a couple of weak clearances. Otherwise very effective.
Bacuna 7: I have always said we need to play him in midfield-yet he was awful there first half-but then was very good at FB-probably has to play there the rest of the season.
Kelly 5: Our midfield is our big problem-we just don't dominate that area-got little right today and poor set piece delivery.
Swift 3: I suspect he cannot train & is being nursed through games until the end of the season. He was ineffective big time today & painfully slow.

Barrow 7: Didn't get much from the Ref & that first half clattering when he was going for goal, really knocked him back.
Bodvardson 6: Once again gave it everything, while never looked dangerous.
Alukho 7: Still not fully on his game ; but getting there.

Pelle 7: A few nice touches in their right hand corner-but given he was only on for a half-he was knackered with ten minutes to go-Stam really screwed up the fitness levels.
Martin 3: Did nothing agree with the Berks caller-is stealing a living.

Ref: another disgrace; the standard is ruining the game-on three or four occasions the PNE defender was beaten & we were about to create a chance-when our player was pulled back-clear yellows; whether in the first minute or last-if the player is on a yellow-they know if they transgress again they are off.Too far away to see for the penalty chance on Kelly not given.

I had this down as a draw in the GET Reading predictor; but Barnsley to draw also. Maybe a win and a draw from one of our last two home games; a draw at Sheffield & that should be enough.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 07 Apr 2018 18:40

Pepe the Horseman Moore and Ilori seem to be benefitting from being allowed to concentrate on defending, rather than fcuking about with it at the back.

Absolutely this. They are actually defending rather than worrying about how they are going to retain possession after they’ve won the ball.

The entire team looks more solid although the midfield is still weaker than nuns piss.

Swift and Kelly were dreadful today. Very disappointing.

We need a defensive midfielder.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 07 Apr 2018 18:43

leon
Pepe the Horseman Moore and Ilori seem to be benefitting from being allowed to concentrate on defending, rather than fcuking about with it at the back.

Absolutely this. They are actually defending rather than worrying about how they are going to retain possession after they’ve won the ball.

The entire team looks more solid although the midfield is still weaker than nuns piss.

Swift was more than dreadful. we were crying out for a more defensive midfielder for the entire second half. surprised it took so long for JC to make the change.
Last edited by windermereROYAL on 07 Apr 2018 18:57, edited 1 time in total.

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by PieEater » 07 Apr 2018 18:51

It was crying out for a Evans - Swift sub at 60mins, I was surprised to see Martin swapped for Bod instead.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 07 Apr 2018 19:01

PieEater It was crying out for a Evans - Swift sub at 60mins, I was surprised to see Martin swapped for Bod instead.

Bod isn't match fit. Expect to see Swift dropped for Tuesday. One game a week out of him.

Clement appears to be managing his available resources carefully.

ayjaydee
Hob Nob Regular

by ayjaydee » 07 Apr 2018 19:04

First time I’ve been for a while partly due to cantbearsedness and partly to holidays. Observations.

Moore back to his imperious best.
Has Clement cloned a new Ilori? Different player to the last time I saw him.
Gunts is still Gunts
Bod is far and away our best striking option
I still like Barrow
Rest a bit meh today
Clement seems to have got us back to basics starting from the back. Was impressed with his post match assessment. He noted the opposition would have known Richards was just back from injury and probably lacking match fitness and that they would target him. He still thought it worthwhile starting with a left back playing at left back but saw the need for change.
Crowd are behind the team again.
And finally Martin can just oxf*rd off.

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 07 Apr 2018 19:08

Great commitment and good atmosphere - even the ED was rocking sometimes!

All that and bookies offering 3-1 on a home win? Get in.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 07 Apr 2018 19:08

The first half was the best we have played in a good while with Aluko and Barrow really sharp. The second half was tough as Preston were on top but the defence stayed firm. A huge win. We should be ok now.

Mannone. 7 Some sharp saves and looked really safe
Gunter 7 Solid and did some technically tricky things well
Richards 5 Looked good going forward but really struggled against Bodin
Moore 8 Superb positioning and excellent in the air
Ilori 8 Much much better with some crucial blocks, headers etc
Kelly 6 Hit and miss. Battled well but one or two iffy passes
Bacuna 7 Looked solid when switched to full back
Swift 5 Poor and off the pace and could have been sent off
Aluko 8 Terrific first half and still did some good stuff in the second period
Barrow 7 Another crucial goal. Started well but faded after being hacked down
Bodvarsson 6 Worked hard but didn’t get much change out of their centre backs

Clement 7 Got stuck in and some nice skill
Evans 5 Didn’t really notice him
Martin 3 Just awful. A lazy, slow lump.

The officials were poor today. They ignored or didn’t notice Preston taking free kicks or goal kicks when the ball was clearly moving. The ref was also very fussy.

Good support from the crowd today. We rode our luck with another backs to the wall win but who cares it’s all about the three points.
Last edited by Zip on 07 Apr 2018 20:08, edited 2 times in total.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 07 Apr 2018 19:11

Westwood52 I have to admit I had a Colin Firth (Fever Pitch) moment middle of 2nd half, and thought you know what we deserve to go down-Stam had put together a team of staggering incompetence-then reality kicked in & I thought this is just the Championship; get fit, work hard and you've got a chance. TBF to Stam ; he had little in the way of luck this season;but its balanced out in the last couple of home games-PNE's shooting was generally very poor, and when they did get on target Vito either saved it or it hit the bar or post.Make no mistake PNE were better than us-particularly in midfield; fortunately they are well down on quality.
IMHO:
Vito 9: Couple of good saves; only downside was his kicking out of hand was way off target.

Gunts 6: Typical performance-technically OK-but still backs off letting numerous crosses get in-never got forward.

Richards 5: Impressive going forward , but made several mistakes 1st half -PNE targeted him. There is a very good FB in there given time.
Moore 9: MOM-simply superb-the heart of the team-probably should have scored and got caught out (once)-otherwise a 10
Ilori 7: Its amazing how a new manager, has improved his game-just a couple of weak clearances. Otherwise very effective.
Bacuna 7: I have always said we need to play him in midfield-yet he was awful there first half-but then was very good at FB-probably has to play there the rest of the season.
Kelly 5: Our midfield is our big problem-we just don't dominate that area-got little right today and poor set piece delivery.
Swift 3: I suspect he cannot train & is being nursed through games until the end of the season. He was ineffective big time today & painfully slow.

Barrow 7: Didn't get much from the Ref & that first half clattering when he was going for goal, really knocked him back.
Bodvardson 6: Once again gave it everything, while never looked dangerous.
Alukho 7: Still not fully on his game ; but getting there.

Pelle 7: A few nice touches in their right hand corner-but given he was only on for a half-he was knackered with ten minutes to go-Stam really screwed up the fitness levels.
Martin 3: Did nothing agree with the Berks caller-is stealing a living.

Ref: another disgrace; the standard is ruining the game-on three or four occasions the PNE defender was beaten & we were about to create a chance-when our player was pulled back-clear yellows; whether in the first minute or last-if the player is on a yellow-they know if they transgress again they are off.Too far away to see for the penalty chance on Kelly not given.

I had this down as a draw in the GET Reading predictor; but Barnsley to draw also. Maybe a win and a draw from one of our last two home games; a draw at Sheffield & that should be enough.

Totally agree that midfield is our biggest problem. Swift really looks a shadow of the player he was last season and we badly miss Williams drive.
Just one other thing it’s Aluko. No h.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 07 Apr 2018 19:14

windermereROYAL
leon

Swift was more than dreadful. we were crying out for a more defensive midfielder for the entire second half. surprised it took so long for JC to make the change.

Yep. Swift was also on a yellow. Evans should have come in for him after seventy.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 07 Apr 2018 19:16

Lack of a left back doesn't help the lack of midfield options. When Bacuna gets moved to RB. Interesting that Clement relied on Swift and Kelly as a defensive pairing. Rather than bring on JVB.