BFTG - Preston -Home

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: BFTG - Preston -Home

by Woodcote Royal » 07 Apr 2018 19:24

Lower West
PieEater It was crying out for a Evans - Swift sub at 60mins, I was surprised to see Martin swapped for Bod instead.

Bod isn't match fit. Expect to see Swift dropped for Tuesday. One game a week out of him.

Clement appears to be managing his available resources carefully.

Absolutely, what does Evans have to do to get a start :|

Totally agree it wasn't pretty but results are all that matters at this time of the season whether you are at the top or down the bottom.

Clements was given 8 games to save our necks and winning 2 of the first 3 was the best we could have hoped for. No wonder Preston fought so hard to keep Hugill, they don't appear to have anyone left who can hit a barn door with banjo yet they started the day 3 points off the play off places :|

Should our great escape come to pass, I'd love this squad be given a second chance under Clements. In my view all we need is that striker we've been banging on about for nearly a year and I believe this group of players can do very well in the Championship.

Reading, you scored 3 points and just the one back pass.

Henley Royal 1

by Henley Royal 1 » 07 Apr 2018 19:25

Cracking result Moore outstanding why has he not got the armband .

LWJ
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Hobnob Prediction League Champion 2011/2012, 2020/2021

by LWJ » 07 Apr 2018 19:33

Woodcote Royal

Er he started against Villa ?

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 07 Apr 2018 19:34

Seems like Clement has sorted out the back 4 and we look dangerous enough up front to pinch a few goals on the chances we get

Just the midfield to get firing now. Do think Swift, Kelly and Bacuna is the way forward - maybe Clement for Swift if he keeps playing well

Evans, Joey and Edwards aren’t the answer imo

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 07 Apr 2018 19:37

LWJ
Woodcote Royal

But was dropped today , just in case you hadn't noticed.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 07 Apr 2018 19:49

ayjaydee First time I’ve been for a while partly due to cantbearsedness and partly to holidays. Observations.

Moore back to his imperious best.
Has Clement cloned a new Ilori? Different player to the last time I saw him.
Gunts is still Gunts
Bod is far and away our best striking option
I still like Barrow
Rest a bit meh today
Clement seems to have got us back to basics starting from the back. Was impressed with his post match assessment. He noted the opposition would have known Richards was just back from injury and probably lacking match fitness and that they would target him. He still thought it worthwhile starting with a left back playing at left back but saw the need for change.
Crowd are behind the team again.
And finally Martin can just oxf*rd off.

Pretty much all of that......we were a bit lucky today, thank god their front men had an off day.
That central defensive partnership looked solid and now looks ton have an understanding. As mentioned, the keyword is "basics". When under pressure defensive players are now booting the ball out rather than attempting the ridiculous passback that has landed us in big doo doo. ilori was my motm, just because he now looks like a defender and put in a big performance after a lot of criticism. Won some big battles and perfect positioning to mop up.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 07 Apr 2018 20:07

Hound Seems like Clement has sorted out the back 4 and we look dangerous enough up front to pinch a few goals on the chances we get

Just the midfield to get firing now. Do think Swift, Kelly and Bacuna is the way forward - maybe Clement for Swift if he keeps playing well

Evans, Joey and Edwards aren’t the answer imo

I was pleased with the starting line up today. It was what I wanted. As Woodcote suggests we need to sign a striker who is better than the options we currently have but central midfield is just as big a problem. I don’t think Edwards and Van Dan Berg are the answer. Kelly has his moments as do Swift and Clement but they are all very inconsistent. When was the last time our central midfielders dominated a game?

We need a hard man in midfield to supplement the pretty players. Joey is too slow to play that role.
Last edited by Zip on 07 Apr 2018 20:20, edited 1 time in total.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 07 Apr 2018 20:12

Despite the relatively small travelling contingent, I thought our fans were terrific today. Especially at the end.

Good to see the club support the fans initiative of allowing a group of vocal supporters into the western side of the south stand. It was actually decent to see and some of the players (Gunter and Moore particularly) appreciated it.

Solid defensive display. We didn't create much but we were clinical and ground out a huge win. A win next Saturday should nearly secure us safety.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 07 Apr 2018 20:19

Royal_jimmy Despite the relatively small travelling contingent, I thought our fans were terrific today. Especially at the end.

Good to see the club support the fans initiative of allowing a group of vocal supporters into the western side of the south stand. It was actually decent to see and some of the players (Gunter and Moore particularly) appreciated it.

Solid defensive display. We didn't create much but we were clinical and ground out a huge win. A win next Saturday should nearly secure us safety.

I wondered why there was a small pocket of fans in that area. Fair play. A good idea.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 07 Apr 2018 20:41

Yeah, I liked it. It looked a little odd with just the small number of them, but hopefully it will attract more fans over there the more they do it.

Barney
Hob Nob Regular

by Barney » 07 Apr 2018 20:44

Sort of feel that we are getting our "Reading" back :D Loved it. Left the last two home games with a sore throat.

Great noise today. A real feeling of club/team/fans today. Excellent.

Day out in London on Tuesday, a beer or two, probably a defeat. But looking forward to next Saturday already. Feels great to actually look forward to home games again.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 07 Apr 2018 21:05

Clement has been a breath of exactly what we needed. He's clearly changed the focus on defending hard, scraping for everything and breaking fast when we can. No dicking about in our half. And the players have responded. Gone are the looks of confusion, standing still waiting for someone to move and then passing backwards.

We look a bit iffy going forwards compared to the last few games under Stam, but my God we look so much more up for the fight and so much more solid. The big weakness though, is that both our wingers are absolute dogshite defensively.

Mannone - 7 solid performance, beaten a couple of times, but saved by the woodwork.
Gunter - 7 still don't like him, but one of his better games. The switch to left back was a good move
Richards - 6 actually looked decent bar a couple of silly moments losing the ball, got absolutely no help from Barrow, in fact half the time Barrow actually tried to help, he made it worse.
Moore - 9 imperious
Ilori - 8 quality
Bacuna - 7 solid and did a good job at right back
Kelly - 6 couple of times he was on a different (wrong wavelength) but pretty good
Swift - 6 can't really recall much of anything he did to be perfectly honest
Barrow - 6 well taken goal, looked a threat though didn't produce a whole lot, but an absolute clusterfuck in defence. AWOL so many times, and then when he did track back he'd get in Richards way and cause confusion over who was picking up who. Better when (presumably) Gunter was able to yell him into doing the right thing a bit more
Aluko - 5 good lord, for a player who is clearly pacey and skillfull, he doesn't half slow the game down. Way too many touches, dwells on the ball and turns into trouble in his own half. Easy to defend against... put someone tight and have someone else standing off on his blindside. He'll turn into it virtually every time, just nip in and take the ball. He at least tried to help his fullback defend, but he wasn't really doing a great job of it.
Bodvarsson - 7 worked his arse off, couple of good breakaway moments and I think got the flick for the goal.

Martin - 4 he's a lazy sack of shit isn't he. All the mobility of the QE2 and virtually no effort.
Clement - 6 actually did alright, but was the wrong sub... turned our midfield into the most powderpuff bunch of cobwebs I've seen in ages when he stepped in for Bacuna
Evans - 6 steadied things up a bit with a more physical and defensively competent presence.

We look vulnerable at 1-0 still, but we've worked hard and ridden our luck. We should probably have had a penalty, although Kelly seemed to go down a bit early and easy... but then Preston could also have had a penalty for an off the ball accidental clip of Bacuna or Aluko running across behind someone, ref obviously didn't see it. And their number 14 could have seen red easily.

Ref was ok, seemed to favour Preston to me though.

Two home wins in a row and one at 3pm. Clement's making friends easily. Good work to make sure all the players came over to the fans too.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 07 Apr 2018 21:13

Westwood52 I have to admit I had a Colin Firth (Fever Pitch) moment middle of 2nd half, and thought you know what we deserve to go down-Stam had put together a team of staggering incompetence-then reality kicked in & I thought this is just the Championship; get fit, work hard and you've got a chance. TBF to Stam ; he had little in the way of luck this season;but its balanced out in the last couple of home games-PNE's shooting was generally very poor, and when they did get on target Vito either saved it or it hit the bar or post.Make no mistake PNE were better than us-particularly in midfield; fortunately they are well down on quality.
IMHO:
Vito 9: Couple of good saves; only downside was his kicking out of hand was way off target.

Gunts 6: Typical performance-technically OK-but still backs off letting numerous crosses get in-never got forward.

If you want to go on a Gunter witch hunt at least try to offer some vaguely credible evidence to support it. It is, of course, complete and utter bollocks to suggest he never got forward today. Nor did he let numerous crosses get in.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 07 Apr 2018 21:13

Westwood52 I have to admit I had a Colin Firth (Fever Pitch) moment middle of 2nd half, and thought you know what we deserve to go down-Stam had put together a team of staggering incompetence-then reality kicked in & I thought this is just the Championship; get fit, work hard and you've got a chance. TBF to Stam ; he had little in the way of luck this season;but its balanced out in the last couple of home games-PNE's shooting was generally very poor, and when they did get on target Vito either saved it or it hit the bar or post.Make no mistake PNE were better than us-particularly in midfield; fortunately they are well down on quality.
IMHO:
Vito 9: Couple of good saves; only downside was his kicking out of hand was way off target.

Gunts 6: Typical performance-technically OK-but still backs off letting numerous crosses get in-never got forward.

If you want to go on a Gunter witch hunt at least try to offer some vaguely credible evidence to support it. It is, of course, complete and utter bollocks to suggest he never got forward today. Nor did he let numerous crosses get in.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 07 Apr 2018 21:23

Woodcote Royal
LWJ
Woodcote Royal

But was dropped today , just in case you hadn't noticed.

Rotation. Unlikely to be 100% matchfit.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 07 Apr 2018 21:30

Did the PA think he was attending a funeral? He sort of mumbled the announcement of the starting line up pre kick off. We have had him before and he is to say the least low key.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 07 Apr 2018 21:31

Just one other thing why do the vendors outside the ground insist you can’t take a bottled drink into the stadium with the cap on. They remove the cap before they give you the drink. Ridiculous.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 07 Apr 2018 21:32

Zip Kelly has his moments as do Swift and Clement but they are all very inconsistent.

When you consider that they are only 22, 22 and 21 respectively. All 3 can only get better the more games they play. Likwise George Evans who still is only 23. Ideally in the summer we'll recruit an experienced head in the Elphick mould. To provide that much needed level of organisation and leadership to the midfield.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 07 Apr 2018 21:34

Zip Just one other thing why do the vendors outside the ground insist you can’t take a bottled drink into the stadium with the cap on. They remove the cap before they give you the drink. Ridiculous.

At a guess, because with the cap on it makes a much better missile.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 07 Apr 2018 21:35

Lower West
Zip Kelly has his moments as do Swift and Clement but they are all very inconsistent.

When you consider that they are only 22, 22 and 21 respectively. All 3 can only get better the more games they play. Likwise George Evans who still is only 23. Ideally in the summer we'll recruit an experienced head in the Elphick mould. To provide that much needed level of organisation and leadership to the midfield.

Yep agreed. That’s what we need.