BFTG Sunderland

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

BFTG Sunderland

by Sutekh » 14 Apr 2018 18:00

Let’s not hide from it, that was abysmal. A terrible performance that in places rivaled some of the very bad slop that was served up over Xmas

Reading made Sunderland look good by failing to play with tempo and taking the game to them. You could see Sunderland couldn’t defend for toffee as they fell apart or panicked every time Reading ran at them, trouble was that didn’t happen enough - if at all.

Good hard working generally in defence but the rest were poor, save for Kelly.

Edwards and Aluko, I really don’t understand why they get games. Evans and Berg should both be ahead of Edwards as all I see from him is nothing except continual stupid fouls. As for Aluko, does anyone know what he’s actually on the pitch to do? I thought he was primarily meant to be right sided winger type yet he seems to spend entire games drifting into the centre and mostly just getting in the way or giving the ball away cheaply. One wonder moment every 6/7 games is not good enough.

At least a point was retrieved which, currently means Barnsley need to get 6 more points from their 4 remaining games than Reading from their 3 remaining games. Even then Brum and/or Bolton need to muster 4 more points from their last 3 games all thanks to Reading’s considerably better goal difference.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

Re: BFTG Sunderland

by windermereROYAL » 14 Apr 2018 18:14

Very probably a fair result. but goodness me don't we make it hard for ourselves? Sunderland can count themselves unlucky not to have been level at HT.
Second half was very end to end, a neutral would have loved it. the final ball when we had space was pretty shocking.
Sunderland are pretty decent on the road despite their position.
Either team could have won it in second half.
How much do we need to sort out that midfield in the summer whatever league we are in. just sod all there.
Last edited by windermereROYAL on 14 Apr 2018 18:26, edited 1 time in total.

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by PieEater » 14 Apr 2018 18:19

I thought we were lucky to get a point. Not sure about the pen but it was a welcome relief, pretty well our first attack.

We were second to most balls and Sunderland had some great chances, Moore was imperious and made a number of blocks and an incredible header off the line - similar to the Sonko is superman save.

Otherwise we weren't good, Sunderland were a lot more up for it, I thought Kone should have been booked as he fouled Bod every time.

Their goals looked soft, the first wtf was Manone doing? It seemed to go in the near post yet he was covering that side and made no attempt to save it. The second looked like a (dubious) free kick going straight in but maybe someone got a touch.

Kermo saved us and it could have gone either way at the end, so overall I'm happy with a point and a game closer to safety with the same gap as we started with.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 14 Apr 2018 18:21

Pretty poor. Sunderland were on it from the start and put loads of dangerous balls into the box. Our midfield was poor and the whole team wobbled. But we have fight aand rescued the draw, could even have snuck an undeserved win. Sunderland were the sort of unlucky you only get by being a relegation side.

Mannone 7 did ok and half dealt with a few scrambles
Gunter 6 the usual bar some top crossing.
Richards 5 doesn't have the experience and doesn't look fully fit given a hard time
Ilori 6 nervy and some poor passing, but not awful
Moore 7 struggled against their big man but what a head off the line
Kelly 5 too many overhit holywood balls. Should not be asked to be the midfield hardman. Great pen
Swift 5/6 started as a deeper midfielder and did nothing, swapped with Edwards and looked better, some good stuff
Edwards 4 I like him, but he had a mare giving the ball away regularly, some decent interceptions / tackles
Aluko 4 went awol into midfield again and rarely releases the pass or shot soon enough
Barrow 5 seems to have lost a yard of pace somewhere but was a bit dangerous
Bodvarsson 7 worked hard but kept getting asked to run his man at the channel, not his game. Could have won a second pen

Blackett 6 a couple of awful touches, but some decent attacking play too
Kermorgant 7 worked the defence some nice (and a couple of poor) touches and a good goal

Clement 6 not a midfield combination to try again, please. Crying out for a defensive midfielder from about 10 mins in.

Also, how about not leaving your limping right back as your only man back at a corner and then ambling back when it breaks down / goes out.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 14 Apr 2018 18:21

A poor performance in general, I’m glad to get a point. We need to invest in a good defensive midfielder in the summer, our midfield was horrendous today.

Mannone - 6 - Not much to do apart from the goals, had no chance for the equaliser, perhaps should have done better but that might be harsh.
Gunter - 6 - He looked like he was struggling with McGeady. Sunderland’s deliveries into the box were very good so maybe should’ve tried to close them down a bit more. However, I’m giving him a 6 for a cracking cross for the goal, which was vital.
Moore - 7 - Good against Fletcher who gave him a tough game. Not quite as good as recently, but still good. Excellent goal line clearance.
Ilori - 7 - Another good performance, some great blocks towards the end. Improved massively since Clement has come in.
Richards - 5 - Struggled against McManaman in the first half. Got better in the second half, but ultimately the right decision to substitute him.
Edwards - 3 - Bang out of form. He has cost us a few points recently, and I don’t think he should be near the team. Gave it away for their first, silly foul for their second, and his passing in general was pretty atrocious.
Kelly - 5 - Good first half, despite some wayward passing at the start. Faded in the second, I heard from Clement that he was struggling with blurred vision a bit.
Swift - 5 - Got better as the game wore on, but he’s trying too many luxury passes, he should simplify things. Also needs to pick his options a bit quicker. Better than he has been recently, though.
Aluko - 4 - Should’ve scored. And he’s still drifting inside and slowing things down. Why!? Stick out wide and run at your man! Hugely frustrating.
Barrow - 5 - Quiet game. Not much else to say about his performance.
Bodvarsson - 8 - MOTM. Ran everywhere, challenged for the ball, was a total nuisance for Sunderland’s defenders. Shame he didn’t get much of a chance in front of goal.

Subs:
Blackett - 6 - Not bad, good clearances, got us on the front foot a couple of times towards the end, has a decent shot on him too.
Kermorgant - 7 - Good goal, unlucky not to score with another header, but he should’ve leathered that final chance.

Westwood52
Hob Nob Regular

by Westwood52 » 14 Apr 2018 18:43

The first Sunderland goal, really knocked the stuffing out of us. We then spent the next 20 minutes, playing as badly as anything under Stam. Sunderland fans probably cant believe how we are above them in the League. Then incredibly in the last 20 minutes, we had four clear opportunities for taps ins, when Bod (twice), Aluko & Mo couldn't even just to pass to feet in the box Equally Kermit despite saving us, missed a clear header and then pfaffed around in the box rather than smashing it. I felt at times today we deserve to go down; as we are as bad as any Reading team I have seen.However I think another point or so should save us.In most other seasons we would be relegated; but it just so happens there are five teams as bad as us.

IMHO:

Mannone 7: One excellent interception in the first half. Should he have saved their first ? It was a hellava long way out.
Gunter 4 : Close to the worst of Gunter today.Why does he keep on backing off when someone runs at him.
Richards 3: Sadly out of his depth today. A real liability.
Ilori 7: Apart from one horror pass 2nd half-generally very good, My MOM.
Moore 6: Saved us 1st half, then got crocked & 2nd half found it a real struggle.

Kelly 4: A series of misplaced passes; but it was a good penalty.
Swift 7: Generally very good; but plays like a butterfly.
Edwards 2: Why does he get the gig ? I'd rather Pelle or Evans.An apology of a player-barely league standard.
Mo 5: Poor most of the game. His head just goes down when situations go against him.Needs a more professional attitude.
B od 5: You cant blame him for lack of effort; but he is just so lacking in any quality.Spent most of the game falling over.
Aluko 2: Did absolutely nothing all game. An absolute disgrace.

Kermit : Well he scored , but missed two opportunities to work the goalie; however he did force a good save from Camp.
Tyler: Not quite as bad as Richards defensively-but it was close. However one peach of a pass to Mo.

Sunderland;I assume their CBs were back ups. Even we should have scored four more today. But they had their chances and we were so poor, we made them look at times, really good.
Ref: One of the better ones. A couple of howlers; but they cannot get everything right.

JR

by JR » 14 Apr 2018 18:49

I absolutely bloody loved that last 10-15 minutes - brilliant entertainment!

Breathless end to end stuff - that’s the most I’ve felt a Reading game in a long time.

Gunter, the legend, put in a wonderful cross on his wrong foot to set up the equaliser.

Barrow, our deserved player of the season, then showed us on numerous occasions why he is frustrated so many previous clubs with his final ball/effort.

In the meantime Sunderland came close on a several occasions to grabbing what could have been a deserved winner.

It was breathless and wonderful to the watch. At the end all 22 players just collapsed not knowing what to do - and I think the fans were a bit confused as well (whether to boo or applause).

Yes, we were pretty rubbish, but I loved it - a well overdue return to enjoying exciting matches at the
Madejski.

We are comfortably safe now - so let’s give Clement time and a pre-season to mould his team. He’s taken on a chronically unfit team lacking in confidence and taken 7 points out of 9 at home.

Well done that man!

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Anyone who lives within their means shows a serious lack of imagination

by John Madejski's Wallet » 14 Apr 2018 18:59

Snowflake Royal .....
Bodvarsson 7 worked hard but kept getting asked to run his man at the channel, not his game. Could have won a second pen

Kermorgant 7 worked the defence some nice (and a couple of poor) touches and a good goal

Clement 6 not a midfield combination to try again, please. Crying out for a defensive midfielder from about 10 mins in.

.......am i missing something here? :?

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Anyone who lives within their means shows a serious lack of imagination

by John Madejski's Wallet » 14 Apr 2018 19:02

That was sh*t but man did I enjoy the last 15min

Sunderland rightly in the lead, on comes Kermorogant and we could have had a hatful. We looked so much more threatening with swift playing up behind Bod and Kermie

Aluko really can fukk off

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 14 Apr 2018 19:02

Snowflake Royal

Not as if he has any options to choose from. Without Bacuna there's a big hole. No sign of Evans today either. Sometimes I wonder if Blackett would make a defensive midfielder.

Swift looked as if he's on the way back to match fitness.
Last edited by Lower West on 14 Apr 2018 19:05, edited 2 times in total.

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by John Madejski's Wallet » 14 Apr 2018 19:04

I'll also say how much Ilori and Moore seem to be enjoying defending again. Nice to see

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 14 Apr 2018 19:15

Overall a fair result. Sunderland should have been ahead at half time and were denied what I thought was a clear pen.
Once again our central midfield was weak. This is the biggest problem area in the team

Mannone. 7 Several good saves in the first half
Gunter 6/ 7 Easily our most creative outlet in the second half. Struggled defensively
Richards. 5 Looks raw and is being targetted.
Moore 6 Not at his best today. Struggled against their centre forward Great header off the line
Illori. 6 One or two poor passes but otherwise ok
Edwards 4 Poor again and gave away a needless freekick from which they scored
Kelly 5 Started and finished poorly but ok inbetween
Swift 6 Average for much of the game. Superb in the final minutes. Shot shy
Aluko 5 Started ok but one again came inside all the time and ineffective
Barrow 5 Missed a sitter of a header and not dangerous until final few minutes
Bodvarsson 5 Worked hard but lacks quality. Failed to square the ball twice when in a great position

Kermorgant 7 Looked much sharper. Great header and one decent effort but chip was awful
Blackett 6 Hit and miss and should have done so much better when running through near the end

Overall highly entertaining but this could go to the wire We are not safe.

Jackson Corner
Hob Nob Regular

by Jackson Corner » 14 Apr 2018 19:17

People laughed when I Said Sunderland would win today and they should have. Why is Edwards even on the pitch he is a total liability. Both goals were down to his stupidity why push a player over when he’s going away goal? I still think we will go down on the last day of the season we will drop into the bottom three. You read it here first. :cry:

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 14 Apr 2018 19:17

John Madejski's Wallet
Snowflake Royal .....

.......am i missing something here? :?

Paul, not Pelle.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 14 Apr 2018 19:18

JR I absolutely bloody loved that last 10-15 minutes - brilliant entertainment!

Breathless end to end stuff - that’s the most I’ve felt a Reading game in a long time.

Gunter, the legend, put in a wonderful cross on his wrong foot to set up the equaliser.

Barrow, our deserved player of the season, then showed us on numerous occasions why he is frustrated so many previous clubs with his final ball/effort.

In the meantime Sunderland came close on a several occasions to grabbing what could have been a deserved winner.

It was breathless and wonderful to the watch. At the end all 22 players just collapsed not knowing what to do - and I think the fans were a bit confused as well (whether to boo or applause).

Yes, we were pretty rubbish, but I loved it - a well overdue return to enjoying exciting matches at the
Madejski.

We are comfortably safe now - so let’s give Clement time and a pre-season to mould his team. He’s taken on a chronically unfit team lacking in confidence and taken 7 points out of 9 at home.

Well done that man!

How on earth are we comfortably safe?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 14 Apr 2018 19:23

Lower West
Snowflake Royal

Not as if he has any options to choose from. Without Bacuna there's a big hole. No sign of Evans today either. Sometimes I wonder if Blackett would make a defensive midfielder.

Swift looked as if he's on the way back to match fitness.

Not many options and didn't really notice the subs bench, but starting Swift and Kelly as defensive midfielders is lunacy. I would have Evans or JVDB in for any one of the three who started today to give some sttength there. I'd play Rinomhota or Holsgrove or East (? ) over putting Swift and Kelly as the two infront of the defence.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 14 Apr 2018 19:24

Sutekh Let’s not hide from it, that was abysmal.

Rubbish. It was a great game where we were poor for periods, but we were also excellent for periods. There were long spells where Sunderland couldn't get near us. Get real.
Edwards and Aluko, I really don’t understand why they get games.

We have two fit wingers so Aluko has to play every game.

With Bacuna suspended and Evans injured, there was no one Clement could pick alongside Kelly and Swift who people wouldn't have complained about.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 14 Apr 2018 19:28

Snowflake Royal I'd play Rinomhota or Holsgrove or East (? ) over putting Swift and Kelly as the two infront of the defence.

God no. East and Holsgrove are smaller than Kelly and not as capable in the tackle. Rinomhota's more physical but hasn't played much.

Personally I thought we were playing something closer to 4-1-4-1 with Kelly in front of the defence than 4-4-1-1 with Edwards behind the striker.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 14 Apr 2018 19:34

I was gonna give my view but Im just celebrating Brentford f*cking over Fulham's automatic promotion dreams :)

paddy20
Hob Nob Regular

by paddy20 » 14 Apr 2018 19:41

JR I absolutely bloody loved that last 10-15 minutes - brilliant entertainment!

Madejski.

Well done that man!

Safe??? Are you mad?